Lost Creek Hollow 'cause i know i had it all on the line
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Pack Activity 
Weather: 29˚ Mostly Cloudy. Foggy starting tonight. High Wind Watch.
Attention: Terance and Treason. Other tags are for reference.

After an extensive self-evaluation and discussion with @Liffey, Rannoch had decided that it was time for him to return to his leadership responsibilities. He had tested the limits of the injury that kept him from his duties, and he felt that he had passed with flying colors. Now, he felt, the time was right to tell @Terance and @Treason of his intentions to return to Lost Creek Hollow's helm.

Rannoch skirted along one of the many streams that carved their territory, pausing occasionally to stop and take a drink. He was procrastinating, he knew, but there was a part of him that was nervous about this conversation—what if it didn't go as he intended? What if he was denied what he felt was rightfully his? Rannoch sighed after some thoughtful consideration upon the stream's bank, his head shaking; his brain was being silly, he knew. 

Rannoch tipped his head back and howled for Terance and Treason's company—although it had taken some self-convincing to steady his nerves, he knew it was time to seek their approval of his intentions.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
the howl came at a very inconvenient time. it was, the first time in his life, that terance almost completely ignored his friends howl. but, wait? what the fuck -- no, he couldn't ignore rannoch. so terance pried himself away from treason and made his way towards his friend. 

he'd tried to groom himself down on the walk over, but no doubt terance smelled like an abundance of things that he... typically didn't smell like. estrus, for one, which was also probably floating around the territory anyway, and most certainly treason. he looked a little ruffled up, but he'd done a good job making himself look presentable in the short walk over. 

as rannoch came into view, terance gave an amiable bark and a few waves of his tail. it still brought him great joy to see rannoch out of the den -- even though it probably was pretty minor. hey, take the little things. "what's up," he called as he approached, stopping a short distance off from rannoch to maybe put up a barrier between rannoch and whatever the hell was going on with terance right now at this moment.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
When Terance did arrive, Rannoch noticed his friend's peculiar behavior—namely how he kept himself at a distance. As Rannoch fixed Terance with a look of confusion, he caught the tangle of scents that radiated from the Leader. Treason's scent was prominent, mingling with the recognizable perfume of estrus. He had a lot of questions, but he remained mum on the subject for now. 

"I wanted to talk to you, and Treason, hopefully," he replied, stealing a step towards Terance and a glance over his friend's shoulder, wondering if the Exalted woman was lurking nearby, "But, I'm ready to return to leadership and pull my weight around here again. I feel fit enough to keep up, both physically and mentally," he added. "What do you think?" he asked.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
he tried to ignore the look of suspicion that rannoch gave him, playing it off completely obliviously. his friend didn't comment on it though so... terance thought he was doing alright. of course, rannoch's comment drew a heavy frown at terance's jowls, his brow furrowing deeply -- knitted together uncertainly. "you... i don't know, rannoch," terance said with an air of general concern, his tail flicking. it wasn't that he didn't believe rannoch, because he did, and he would've loved to have his friend back at the top spot with him but... he just wasn't ready to see him back in action if it meant there was a bigger possibility he'd get hurt again. he'd almost lost rannoch once, he didn't want it to happen again. 

"do you really think it's a good idea?" he asked, a little less firm this time, paired with a soft sigh.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
For a moment, Rannoch found himself doubting himswlf—was was ready? He considered his friends concern, his own brow furrowing and lips frowning. 

”I really think I am,” Rannoch decided after a pause, meeting Terance’s gaze. ”I used the trip to the plateau as a test—and I passed. I didn’t hurt myself, and I was able to keep up with the kids,” that in itself was a victory for him. ”I really appreciate your concern, too, Terance. I understand where you’re coming from, too.” Rannoch wouldn’t hold it against him if he decides to hold off on his re-promotion, but he hoped that that wouldn’t be the case.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
terance stared at him as he spoke, expression weary. he didn't want to say yes, for his own sake, but there was really no reason to deny his friend of it... except for paranoia, but that didn't benefit anyone. his head dipped down, unable to argue. "alright, dude -- i trust you," he said with a small smile, his green eyes resting upon rannoch's features, "don't overdo it, though, seriously."

his smile widened, a bit, his tail wagging. "glad to have you back."
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
After Rannoch’s appeal had been said, Terance conceeded with caution; he understood his friends concern. ”I’ll be careful—Tarot has been taking great care of me, too.” He was thankful for the caregiver’s abilities. Excitement came upon Rannoch abruptly, and he rsurged forward and pressed his head to his friend’s nape

”Thanks, Terance,” he said then, pulling away with a large grin. ”Should we let the rest of the pack know?” he proposed.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
terance grinned. absolutely, he said with a few wags of his tail, and with a sweeping gesture added, why don't you do the honors? 

it was a little nerve wracking, and truthfully terance still wasn't sure he was fully on board. but there was nothing else that he could do about it, and any reason not to have rannoch back was incredibly selfish. so, what did it matter? besides, terance accidentally started thinking about @Treason as a cool gust of air brushed past them, and he was suddenly in a rush to get back to her. ears ears pressed forwards.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Attention: @Treason, @Liffey, @Mona, @Nara, @Nunataq, @Sarah, @Malice, @Gannet, @Xan, @Pyro, @Tarot, @Dawn, @Joss, @Breccan, and @Merrick
Note: This is a non-mandatory request! We just thought it'd be nice to include everybody in Rannoch's promotion!

"I'd love to," Rannoch accepted with a smile. Without further hesitation, he tipped his head back and summoned for the wolves of Lost Creek Hollow to acknowledge his promotion—"I've returned to leadership, to lead the pack alongside Terance again."

Rannoch's howl was loud, proud, and joyous—every emotion that surged through his being at that very moment.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
/cameo *cackles*

They had indeed discussed Rannoch's return to leadership at length. Liffey had been as supportive as could be - encouraging, reassuring, doting, all of that good wife stuff. She had concerns about him putting himself back in danger, but really, it wasn't as though he was out of danger by just being a father versus a leader. He had just as much responsibility to protect his kids as he did his pack. Had he not been alpha at the time of the cougar attack, Liffey would've expected him to do just as much as he had, except to protect just their kids instead of the whole pack. It was what it was, and Liffey was happier to see the pack in Rannoch's hands than not.

So yes, she supported him. But still, she rankled with bitterness when she heard the howl announcing that it was done.

Liffey loved her kids. She loved being a mom and devoting her whole life to her little ones. And here she was again, about to be a mother twice over. She had no time to pursue her own aspirations or to return to leadership herself. But still, it took her a few moments to tame her envy and the insult to her personal pride - two things she was determined not even Rannoch be aware of - before she tilted her own head back and called out her enthusiasm and praise for her mate, and only those things.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Her patience at the moment was minimal.  Sure, Terance hadn't really been gone all that long, but it felt like hours. Like really, of all the bad timing...   Treason sat around and waited a bit, but eventually she got restless enough that she started pacing jagged, vaguely circular shapes within a radius of where she'd started, split between whether she should go hunt him down or stay put.  She wasn't exactly in the mood to be kept waiting, but at the same time felt like he should be the one to show up.  Treason might be a little bit grumpy.

Then came the howl.  So that meant he was almost done, right?  Treason liked having just Terance as her boss, but at least if Rannoch was merely equal to him, maybe things would still go the way she wanted to direct them.  Something to consider on a different date.  She added her voice to the howl.  Congratulatory notes in her otherwise cool tones, it was concise and to the point as she always was.

But let's be real, half the reason she even did so was to casually remind Terance she existed and that maybe he should hurry up a little.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch sang in harmony with those who lived in Lost Creek Hollow, a surge of pride radiating in his heart as he lent his voice to the broadcast. Ending the communication after when he felt that all had heard it, Rannoch dropped his head with a renewed sense of purpose.