Heron Lake Plateau i didn't know you could do that.
121 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
All Welcome 
There was definitely a spring in her step as Poe trotted across the piles of snow that covered her new home. It was only a temporary stay, but that didn't prevent the Ostrega from allowing fondness or attachment from growing in her heart. She had never feared things like loss or separation. Harlyn had taught her that all things in life were temporary. Even death only stole loved ones away for a short while until we too joined them in the afterlife. Only then would they experience eternity. Poe hadn't had to say too many good byes yet in her short life, but she'd looked upon those she'd had with that outlook and found comfort. She was ready for her departure from the Redhawks to be the same, even though she'd met all of three of her new packmates thus far.

That was all in the future still. For now, the butterfly was on a mission - to find @Owen. She had a vague idea of where to look, but had quickly gotten distracted by exploring every nook and cranny of the Plateau and lost her way. She didn't mind that, of course. They were packmates now, so she had all the time in the world to hunt him down and make good on her promise to hang out again. It was one among many promises she now had to make good on, which also didn't perturb her. Poe felt as though she were walking on sunshine as she sprung up onto a drift of snow that stood a couple of feet higher than the others, but right then, the world decided to prove to her that she was not. She was walking on snow - snow that gave way quite suddenly under her weight and appeared to swallow the cinnamon sprite whole.
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
but it wasn't owen that the butterfly came across, no, it was tegan. she was pretty hot, he had subconsciously decided without really wanting to think about stuff like that. it wasn't even like a pity party -- tegan would've loved to think about shit like that. it just didn't really feel right. he was a little glad that the thought fluttered through him, though, it made him feel a little bit brighter than his most recent, dull, personality. it felt more like himself. 

but all was lost in a matter of seconds as the pretty little wolf suddenly disappeared into the snow. tegan, quite taken aback, made a beeline for the drift, his ears pressed to his skull and his heart pounding. "hey -- are you okay?" he called out, peeking into the wolf-shaped hole where she'd disappeared.
121 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Poe plopped down into the depths of the drift with a little "Oh!" that was all but buried beneath the muffle of snow. After a few seconds had passed and the Ostrega came out of her shock, she realized what she'd done. Then came the chorus of musical laughter fluttering up from her chest as she began to wriggle in an attempt to get herself free. She was giggling so much that she missed the sound of someone approaching (or maybe that was the snow in her ears), but with a shake of her head, she cleared her view to peer up at a pair of sea green eyes. And then came the second, "Oh!"

The girl blinked up at him for a moment before her face brightened again and she laughed. "Yeah, I'm fine! You just startled me!" Poe giggled, then paused as something occured to her, "Oh wait, you mean the whole buried-in-snow thing, don't you. I'm also okay on that front, but I might be a little... stuck." She wriggled again, managing only to cause a clod of snow to fall and burst into a cloud of flakes on the bridge of her nose. Peeking up again at the boy, she grinned, a little embarassed, and asked, "Say, you wouldn't happen to be a huge fan of digging, would you?"
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
he hadn't originally planned on socializing, but something about watching her just fall through the snow forced a reaction out of him that he didn't even realize he had. call it what you want, but it absolutely had something to do with bat falling through the ice. not that he even recognized the connection. but she was okay, tegan heard her small noises as he stood above her and watched as he startled her. he grinned as she began to speak -- just a little bit -- unable to escape some of his undeniable charm flaring up. but just a little bit. 

"actually these pups aren't really made for diggin'," he said with a shrug, disappearing from the view of the hole, but the sound of snow and snufflin' proved this comment to be entirely false. what? don't tell me you don't like digging!! you're a filthy liar. "gimme a minute," he called out, just to make sure she knew he hadn't left her hanging, and continued to dig through the snow, ignoring how got damn cold it was.
121 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Poe watched him quietly as he responded, her head tilting in mild curiosity as he mentioned pups. Was he a father? He looked to be about the same age as her, so she supposed it wasn't too out of the question, permitting his first litter had been born, like, a week ago. She assumed she misunderstood him, or maybe she'd misheard him. She was not in the least bit "hip to the lingo", as the cool kids would say. If the cool kids said that still. Or ever.

"I'll be here," she answered with a smile that was quick to fade as she began to wait. She was becoming more and more aware of the fact that snow was cold, and it had also penetrated the warmth of her thick red coat. It wasn't very comfortable, especially because she could feel her shoulder beginning to cramp. Frowning, Poe began to wriggle again, trying to kick her back legs and find some purchase on the ground - ground that apparently didn't exist.

With a huff of frustration, the Ostrega stopped as it became clear to her that all she seemed to be doing with her squirming was wedging herself in tighter. "How can stuff that's so soft and light and fluffy and pretty turn so cold and hard when it's piled on the ground?" Poe called out, never one to keep her mouth shut for too long, not even when stuck in an icy tomb that was likely to become her coffin.
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
as tegan dug, his ears pricked to better hear her when she spoke. he chuffed, pretty amused, but didn't respond. tegan was usually full of quick witted quips, but he really wasn't on top of his game lately. he just didn't feel like it. ah, whatever. she probably heard that he like, acknowledged it or whatever.

he kept on diggin, and diggin, and diggin. if the brown fae was talkin tegan wasn't really responding, but he was at least chuffing or something to show he was listening. still there. but he was diggin -- this required concentration, yo. like, jeez, lay off. you can't expect so much outta him. 

she was right, though, this snow was thiccccccccccccc with soooo many fuckin c's. the more tegan dug in, the more claw he had to use to dig through it. it was like the more he pushed, the more packed it got. made sense, he supposed. finally though, he broke through a spot in the snow. because tegan's a funny guy, he stuck his nose into the little hole, which twitched and wiggled as he sniffed into it. he backed up. "you think you can break that shit down?" he asked her, green eye peeping through the little hole.
121 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Poe had finally stopped struggling after four or five more bouts of wriggling. It did eventually seem as though it was doing her some good, but it was also wearing her out. She had a feeling she'd need her strength soon. Knowing that, however, did not stop her mouth. She didn't really even need her hero's little chuffs and chuckles to encourage that.

"I feel like I'm somehow falling deeper into this hole, but that can't be the case, right?" she asked, turning her head to peer up at the blue sky above. She paused for a few seconds, then started again. "You'd think if I was, though, I'd eventually sink low enough to feel the ground beneath my feet, but no. I don't think there is any ground here. It's all just snow. At least I think it is. I don't know, maybe my paws have gone numb and I can't actually feel what I'm touching anyway. I've heard about that before. My mother called it frostbite. She never said how quickly that sets in though.. I've only been down here for a few mintues, so there's no way I'd have frostbite already, right? My mother is a healer and she taught me some of what she knows, but I don't remember her saying how to treat frostbite. I actually think she said there's no treating it."

A pause.

"Oh shoot... I remember how she said to treat it. And I do not want to go there. I doubt it's frostbite anyway.. I think my mind is just playing tricks on me. It does that sometimes, especially when I get anxious. Not that I'm anxious now, just.. um... eager, I guess. No pressure, though, I mean... I'm sure you're doing great, and I really, really appreciate the effort. As do my paws, that I really hope I don't have to gnaw off. I don't think I could even--"

Poe stopped abruptly as another ball of snow plopped down onto the bridge of her muzzle, causing her to sneeze. She blinked as a cloud of flakes swirled up in front of her eyes as she looked up and spied the hole her rescuer had made, complete with a single eye peeking down at her. She canted her head slightly up at him as a smile twisted across her lips. There was hope!

"I'll try!" she called before sucking in a deep breath to steel herself for the ultimate wriggle. She shut her eyes for a moment to say a quick prayer to her mother's gods, politely requesting that they give her the strength to make it out of this so her packmate wouldn't have to dig anymore and he could go back home to take care of his newborns. Then, her fiery eyes popped open in a blaze and she kicked with all her might.

Poe didn't go very far at first. Maybe an inch. But she was determined now, so she wrenched and kicked and struggled and a few minutes later, she had broken the surface with her upper torso and was kicking her front limbs up and out. It was actually a lot like that scene in Balto, except she didn't manage to leap out of the snow like a dolphin at the end. Instead, she found purchase with her forelegs and laid there for a second to catch her breath, half in and half out of her wintery prison.

"Remind me... not to do this... again..." she panted as she gathered herself for the final round.
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
christ, she talked a lot. tegan mostly ignored her as he dug, tuning her out to focus on digging her out. then again, honestly, it was probably helping. she was pretty stuck, and if he were in the same situation he'd probably yap yap yap for a good distraction. or something. either way, dig dig dig. until...

she buss'ed outta there! kinda! tegan watched as she struggled and struggled, looking a little amused -- unable to help the smirk that was plastered across his smug face. she took a moment to break, catch her breath from all the ungraceful movements, before tegan gave a hearty chuckle (hearty!!!) and padded closer. "fuck you talk a lot -- lemme help," he said, carefully positioning himself to not fall in with her, moving to reach for her scruff to drag her the rest of the way out.
121 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
"Do I? I never noticed," Poe commented off-handedly with a vague grin as she caught her breath and prepared for round two of escape the hole. She looked up as her helper boy stepped around her and reached for her peppered ruff, feeling a tidal wave of gratitude wash over her. Her muscles were twitching from fatigue and, left to her own devices, she may very well have just taken a short nap to rest up for this. But, she couldn't squander the opportunity to have help getting out of this like I squandered my easy, near constant access to KFC. So, she gritted her teeth and worked it.

It only took a couple of minutes with one pulling and the other pushing before Poe popped out of the snow. She stumbled forward from the momentum and fell onto her stomach a few feet away from the hole. Luckily, this particular patch of snow beneath her stayed put, and the only flakes that covered her were the ones that were floating down from the air to settle onto her fur.

"Oh... my goodness..." Poe panted, slowly lifting her muzzle and blinking up at the sun as the cloud of snow sparkled before her, "I feel like I was just born again. Only this time I was cold and now I'm... slightly less cold." She offered her hero a grin and received a half-hearted one back in return. After exchanging a few more quips and pleasantries, she headed off to find a place to warm up.