Sun Mote Copse Perfect Mayhem
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
All Welcome 
Now that he had met a couple of faces, made some friends and learned more about the lay of the land, Epic began to think about the future. And in his case the future meant focus on a skill set that he liked, loved and one that was challenging. Three things came to his mind; Epic liked to hunt, there was something about the thrill of the chase and the adrenaline that rushed through his veins that was awesome. Like an awesome, addicting feeling even if most of his hunts ended up as a failure -- or him getting his butt kicked like with his beaver encounter.

Then there was the want, no need to travel and see the world. Staying at one place would make him unhappy but having a home and the opportunity to travel at the same time seemed like the best of both worlds; to see the mountains, the hills, plains, forests and maybe once a true desert. Finally there was the medic trait; a skill set he hadn't quite much experience in. Sure, he knew a few basics but to specialize in something that important -- heal wounds, maybe save a life -- was a massive, massive challenge. And it wasn't like he could practice and learn each day. It was very much unlike his love for hunting and travelling. 

And so the young boy just sat there, staring absent-mindedly into the distance. His mind, a perfect mayhem of dazzling possibilities and endless options.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She felt ravenously hungry this morning, so of course Wildfire wondered if this was the first sign of pregnancy. It was still too soon to tell otherwise, so she didn't even bother mentioning it to @Eljay. Instead, she left him snoozing peacefully in their nook near The Nest and went in search of sustenance.

She hadn't gone far when she stumbled across Epic sitting and staring off into space. "Have you considered," Wildfire said as she strode up to him, "becoming a professional statue?" Her black tail twitched as she bobbed her smudged snout at him in greetings.
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Luckily Epic didn't know much about pregnancies, otherwise he might have asked if she wanted to eat a whole moose as dessert. Or maybe he had to find something odd and rare that she craved, like doodle-berries. Actually, it was a good thing that he was clueless about a) pregnancies in general and b) the fact that the Sovereign and maybe other females in the pack would be pregnant soon. It would be an interesting experience; to say the least.

His thoughts were shattered like a bullet being shot through glass as a voice brought him back to reality. "Oh, hey Wildfire!" Epic said, greeting her respectfully. "Statue? Eh, no maybe a scarecrow but I wouldn't want to chase away all the Firebirbs."

And, speaking of which, he had a question that lingered upon his mind ever since he was accepted. Now seemed like a good time to ask her. "What's the story of the Firebirds? And why is it called Firebirds?" The young male had very manly thoughts about it, he translated fire as something "hot" and a bird could also be a "chick/appealing lady". Oh yes, pack of the hot chicks! That was probably not the story behind its meaning. And those thoughts; of course he would keep those to himself.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Her head tilted at his whimsical reply and she favored Epic with a smile. They came easier to her now, though her heart was still heavy with Bat's loss. Time would surely heal the wound, though there would be a scar on her heart forever.

"Well, my parents collectively referred to us—their kids, I mean—as Firebirds. So it's a nod to that," she explained, "and to the Redhawks, of course. They're our sister pack." Wildfire couldn't quite recall if they'd covered that at his interview, though maybe Wraen had explained it. Or perhaps this was the first time he was hearing about it. "Are you familiar with the Redhawks?"
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Nopety-nope, it wasn't the pack of the hot chicks. Too bad, only then ..not really. His ears flickered slowly as he took in her words, trying to process it all. "Ohw." Epic said as the information slowly settled in. "So, is it like a tribute then? To your parents?"

This was the first time he heard about it. Wraen had said a lot about birds -- as she was named after one -- but much of the pack's history still remained a mystery up until now. "No, no I am afraid I haven't." Or maybe? His mind rattled for a second before he added. "Is Redhawks the new pack that is going to settle soon in the same Tuktu Hinterlands vicinity? If so I met their leader. Great guy!"
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She simply nodded at the term "tribute." Epic hadn't heard of the Redhawks and she was glad to fill him in, though before she could, he asked a distracting question. Wildfire wondered which pack he meant—because it certainly wasn't the Redhawks—but she would have to file that question away for later. Right now, she had a history lesson to begin.

"No, Redhawks has been a pack since before I was born. My parents founded it and ruled it for years. They passed away a while ago now. Since then, the pack has relocated from the caldera far to the east to the plateau that's about an hour west of here. We're actually a spin-off from that pack, which is ruled currently by my sister, Raven's, mate, as well as my younger sister, Towhee. Hence: sister pack," the Sovereign explained with a smile.

The mention of her litter mate jogged her memory. She had mentioned the Redhawks to Epic, albeit very briefly, so she didn't fault him for not remembering. "Rave is the one who's a medic. I haven't had a chance to speak to her about tutoring, though I can do that soon, if you like."
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
The young male listened closely to the Sovereign, ears pricked forward and moving every now and then on top of his head; making sure he caught everything. Every now and then he nodded, trying to grasp the concept of the pack and its history. So cool! The male thought while chuckling inwardly, he was part of a pack that had quite a history here. Many generations of the same family had lived around the Teekon Wilds. And one of the best parts; he was a part of it! At the same time he couldn't help but to feel a pang of jealousy on families, those related by blood. He was, in such a way, an orphan, alone in a strange, wide world. And despite being accepted into a pack, having a 'new' family, it somehow didn't feel the same. Maybe it had to grow on him.

"Thank-you for the pack history." Epic said genuine, loving stories and histories in general even if it had been overshadowed by a moment of jealousy. "Oh, yeah, I'd really appreciate that. "Has Raven seen a lot of medic-sort-of-situations?" Epic wondered while throwing his thoughts out in the open; trying to figure out what Raven was like. In the mean time he also worked on his other skills. "I'm actually also busy with hunting and scouting." He added witha moment of pride. "I tried to catch a beaver -- and got beaver-slapped -- and badgers, fish and the likes."
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Epic's question earned a none too quiet snort from Wildfire, which she quickly followed with an apology. "I'm sorry! It's just, if you knew Raven, you would see what a funny question that is." She smiled warmly. "She's been a medic for almost as long as I can remember. You won't find anyone with more experience anywhere in the Teekon Wilds, I'm sure of it. Maybe in the whole rest of the world. She's the best of the best and you couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable teacher." Her tail waved as she spoke so highly of the sister she loved perhaps most of all her siblings.

Another laugh escaped her in response to Epic's mention of being slapped by a beaver. "Like with its tail, I assume?" Wildfire pressed, finding that mental image rather humorous. "On a scale of one to ten, how badly did that hurt?"
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Although he had no knowledge of Bat's disappearance or the fact that she had shown up again at the lost and found section, there was something he did notice. A slight change in the demeanor of the Sovereign; she was happy, laughing and gentle-spirited. Her smile was contageous and it caused him to grin. Wildfire spoke very highly of Raven, the medic, and he chuckled lightly. "Yeah, I'd really appreciate it if you contact her and say a good word about me. Or two." There was something very appealing about the thought of being trained by the best (and not die like the rest, Seize the Night pun).

And when she brought up the beaver-slapping subject his face slightly cringed as he could still feel the painful wound and the adrenaline. But, at the same time it had been fun and it was worth it. "Eleven." He added. "It hurt like a beach." There was almost nothing to describe the feeling. Well, almost nothing. "It's like being run and trambled over by a moose. Then, that moose turns around, trembles you again and the herd follows and does the same." Yeah, something like that. Ouch.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
I don't think it's super important but this actually takes place prior to Bat's return (oops if I caused any confusion)! Sorry for the delay!

The way he talked reminded her of someone, though she couldn't place him (or her). Nonetheless, it tickled her funny bone, earning another quiet snort. For a moment, she forgot all the bad in the world as she tittered lightly at his pronunciations of "beach," then the casual interchange of "tramble" and "tremble."

"Have you ever considered becoming a storyteller?" she mused, the smile sliding off her face somewhat but not entirely disappearing. Before Epic could reply to that, she added, "I'll make a point of asking Rave the next time I see her and I'll follow up with you. I think you'll have a really good bedside manner," she observed, "and they do say laughter is the best medicine."
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Okie-dokie.

Grateful for her answer, Epic nodded gently -- hoping to aspire something new but also something that was way out of his comfort zone. He knew a little of herbs and healing but anything beyond the basics was beyond his limits; for now. He hoped that this "Rave, Raven" that Wildfire spoke so high of would teach him more.

He wasn't sure what she meant by bedside manner but he chuckled lightly, taking her words in as a compliment. Then all the sudden something entirely else spooked his mind and questioning golden eyes brimmed brightly into her direction. "Hey speaking of Firebirds and family. Are many of the members related?" It was on his to-do list to meet everyone one day but maybe Wifi could give him some hints and tidbits of information about all the pack members beforehand.

gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
His next query gave her pause as she considered the list of members in her pack. "Yes. There's the two families, the Redhawks and the Blackthorns, and they're very tightly-knit. It'd take forever and a day to list out who's related to and in what way—sometimes there's more than one—but suffice it to say, we're all family here. That includes you now as well."

She smiled at him, though it faltered somewhat, becoming a bit sheepish, as her stomach gave a snarl so loud it sounded like she'd just passed gas explosively. "Yikes," she said quietly, chortling. "I swear that was my stomach and not my bowels. I should get something to eat. Would you like to come with?"
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Shall we wrap this up? It's oooouuuuttdated.

The endless possibilities of uncles, cousins, nieces, aunts, nephews and all the likes who were akin made his head dazzle a little. Uh oh. He just nodded. Wildfire was proud of her family heritage and it was good to hear her talk about something she was very passionate about. He was about to open his mouth and comment on her words but the word eat distracted him. Since he was a lone wolf, eating was something he would do at every opportunity that he got.

"Yeah, yeah let's eat. I'll join you and then I've got to do some exploring on my own."
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Sure thing, I'll close up shop. :)

He agreed to accompany her and Wildfire bit back the suggestion that he become a hunter or scout. She'd already used the "have you considered..." remark enough for one day. Instead, she gave him a quick smile, then wordlessly spun on a lithe red heel and began to trot off into the copse. When her stomach continued rumbling, she shushed it with the promise of food (not saying it worked particularly well...).