Wheeling Gull Isle lilac wine
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
All Welcome 
@Radcliffe, backdated a few days

She'd planted poppies in the garden they'd given her upon becoming Daggertooth. And though Maegi had abandoned it, the poppies flourished still, even in the chill of winter. She nosed the bright flowers, kept herself from the pull of the seeds. Other herbs grew here, but the poppies were by far the loveliest, in her view. 

The Melonii lay down among the greenery with a contented sigh, tail beating slowly against the ground. Lupine souls were so tiring. If she could only dwell among plants and poisons, for all her life, then she might be truly happy. Just Maegi, Peryite, and the poppies. 

A beautiful pipe dream.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Radcliffe had strayed away from the two wolves that helped care for him. Carefully and quietly, he had done so. This was an unfamiliar territory, and he wanted to find a safe place. Somewhere to hide. As he limped along, even though his paw was mostly healed by now, he exagerrated it. 

As he went along, Rad paused. There was another. He let out a quiet whimper, going for somewhere safe to hide. He was an unfamiliar wolf in unfamiliar territory.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She caught the flash of gentle gold in the brush, and peered through the leaves, squinting. Who's there? she called out, wary. Still, Undersea was full of friends, not foes, and she instinctually turned the unblemished side of her face toward the stranger, hoping not to frighten them further.

Perhaps it was one of Seelie's children; the frame seemed small enough, though the pelt didn't match any she remembered. Oh, but--Thresher had been golden, right? This was a male, though.

She had been gone for too long. You can come out, Maegi insisted. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just tending to the plants.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Radcliffe shivered more as they seemed to speak. He kept himself huddled down, whimpering as someone approached. Rad looked carefully, being careful and quiet as the female came to find him. He stayed where he was as she asked him to come out...although, he did speak.

"I-I am fine here" he murmured in answer to her. "I am safe here...quiet, hiding."
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She raised her brows in barely-veiled skepticism—man, this kid was weird—but otherwise said nothing, resuming her gardening with a sigh. Whatever makes you happy, I guess, Maegi remarked wryly, nosing at the base of one wilted poppy plant. Her lips peeled back and she plucked it from the ground, the seeds shaking down and into the earth she had just disturbed.

What's your name? she asked, shifting her gaze over to the bushes again. I'm Maegi. Why are you so into hiding? The island is safe. She had never felt safer than when she was at Undersea. Even Blackfeather Woods was a place of mystery, with Peryite-knows-what lurking behind every tree—but here, none of those perils existed. It was peaceful, pleasant, kind.

Why did this boy seem so skittish? What had happened to him to make him so? Maegi thought of the experiences that had brought her here, the first time, and frowned, a small shudder rippling over her pelt.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Radcliffe nodded at that, agreeing as he was feeling at least a bit happy, feeling safe here. Then he saw her pick something up, and that caused curiosity. What was that? "Radcliffe..." he found himself answering to the female, tucking back. "I hide...I feel safe when hiding."
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Strange. Though perhaps just about as strange as anything she had ever done. Who was she to judge? Maegi kept to herself, she just didn't do it in such overt fashion. And to be honest, it was kind of nice to meet someone new here. Another mind to warp, at least. She smiled faintly at the thought.

Have you always liked to hide? she asked, setting the wilted poppy plant to the side. There was another nearby, suffering. She took it by the stem, putting it out of its misery and planting more seeds in the hole it left behind--though saving one for herself, holding it on her tongue before swallowing furtively.

She turned toward Radcliffe. I grew up in a forest where there were lots of places to hide, the Melonii remarked. Lots of trees and shadows. Maybe you would like it there. I dunno. Not that she was going to invite him to come back with her or anything. That would be mighty presumptuous on her part.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Radcliffe was quiet for a moment as the other wolf said nothing. Was that a smile he saw? He peeked up a bit, maybe they were friendly...till they spoke and he felt that same feeling again. "N-No...I like to play." He always liked to play. 

"Forest...I grew up in a place...gone now" he murmured quietly, pulling himself into a little ball, curling. "It was hot. Bright..."
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
What do you like to play? she asked, but before she really got the words out, he had continued on, retreating back into the shell he'd made for himself. Maegi frowned, but said nothing, instead nose still to the ground, looking at him from the corner of her eye. Gone now.

The boughs of Blackfeather still very much existed—and yet, they were not the same trees she was born under. Time and conflict had changed them indelibly; the forest never would be like it was when she was a spiderling. Perhaps it was only perception, but then, history changed things. Not just biologically, but emotionally.

I'm sorry to hear about your home, the Melonii murmured, letting a little bit of emotion creep into her tone. I understand how that feels. She sniffed, slightly, and laid down on her belly, crossing one paw in front of the other. So what kind of games do you like to play? she asked again, trying to return some levity to the conversation—and to change the subject from something she was loath to discuss.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
He sighed for a moment. It wasn't just his home gone either. Father as well. "Sorry...you know how it feels?" he asked, raising his head a bit to face her. Slowly coming out of his protective bubble. "Same thing happen?"

The question on games had his tail wag suddenly. Games, he very much liked games. "Um...playing patrol. Chasing butterflies...oh, hunting!"
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Her mouth curved in the smallest of smiles, wry, but genuine enough. You could say that, she said cryptically, and left it there, not wanting to go further into details. She absorbed herself in his description of games instead, nodding sagely at the answers.

Those are definitely different than the games I played as a child, Maegi remarked, her manner growing warmer with every word. Chasing butterflies does sound fun. What sort of things did you hunt? Ugh. It was a pain having to do it for sustenance; why anyone would hunt for pleasure was completely beyond her, but hey, tastes differed.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Radcliffe felt himself warming up more and more to the other. "Sorry...I am sorry" he murmured at that. In his mind, he thought she went through the exact same thing. The bright warmth eating away the forest. 

But then, she got him in a good mood again. And his tail got wagging behind him. "I have hunted a rabbit once! Nice and tender, crunchy bones."
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She accepted his condolences with the barest of nods, eyes trailing off into the space beyond the boy. She was brought back to herself when he started talking about the game he'd chased and killed. Have you ever fished? Maegi asked suddenly, and then was taken aback. Why had she thought of that so quickly?

Rokig. Her stomach did a flip as she thought of the man, his haunted face, the kindness he'd shown her. Rokig had been the one to teach her to fish. Was he here now? She hadn't caught his scent anywhere—perhaps faint whiffs of it, now and again, but it was more ghostly than corporeal. He must be long gone from the island.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Radcliffe tilted his head at that curiously. Fished? What was that...fish. He heard of these things in streams, but never had he tried whatever 'fished' was. Would it mean going near these fish in the streams? It made him curious, very curious.

"What's that? Can we do that?" he asked to Maegi, wagging his tail excitedly now. "Where, where do we go to...fished. To do that?"
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
do you want to fade this out or keep going? :D

That seemed to perk the boy up more than anything, and she couldn't resist a smile. There are a couple of places by the sea that are good for fishing, Maegi said, thinking first of the place she had found Rokig, hunting for the slippery creatures. Here, I can show you if you want?

She rose to her paws, stretching a little, and gave her garden one last sniff before turning her face to him in question. She was aware that this was the first time she had truly, fully faced him since they had met—and she never forgot the grotesque nature of her visage—but she hoped that her willingness to be his friend and teach him things would outweigh the frightening scars.

That said, she couldn't blame him for being frightened, though that didn't make it hurt any less.
83 Posts
Ooc — Cody
We can fade if you like!

Radcliffe nodded excitedly as she offered to show him some spots. It excited him, to learn something new. And he knew he would have to practice, as well once he began learning. His worried composure before was long gone, now replaced with a joyful child. 

Rad moved to follow Maegi, wagging his tail behind him now. "Lead the way, lead the way!"