Cerulean Cape We turn our headphones all the way up and we press play
200 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Finding himself with some free time away from the group, Lucas departed along the wooded edge of the coastline. Since leaving Bearclaw Valley, he had been visibly morose, or at least as much as he could be. He still grinned and replied brightly when spoken to, but anyone with even an ounce of perception could tell that he was a bit put out. He wasn't as engaged as before, not as quick to strike up conversations, and why should he be? He was excited to visit his family, and instead, he'd found only the empty vale.

He supposed it felt good to be reaching the end of their trip, even if he was saddened by the missing status of his relatives. Pulling in a deep breath through his nose, he stopped on a reedy hillock overlooking the cape and let his tail sway pensively. There, in the far distance, was Wheeling Gull Isle. Luc guessed it would be some time before they let him leave again on another trip, but all the same, he felt a strong pull to turn around and head back to the valley. His family had to have gone somewhere, right? Maybe they would go back too.

He thought morbidly of the whale bones on the beach, that day he'd discussed them with Govinda, and pressed his lips solemnly together. Yes. They had to have gone somewhere or their bones would have remained behind, but he couldn't go looking for them right now, the islanders likely wouldn't allow it so soon after returning. Maybe another time.

Vaguely forward dated to whenever Lucas and co are returning to Undersea b/c I need a shake up. I think it would be super nice if he ran into @Laurel since she's roughly in the area!
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
After finding out that Wyatt was at that pack the rude Dragoncrest Cliffs wolf had pointed out, Laurel felt a little more ease of mind. But she also wondered if the same had happened to Lucas. And what about Piper? She'd thought that once they found her children they would all be gathered up and go home, go somewhere together. She didn't even care where all that much -- she just wanted to be somewhere with them, have the family together. It could be Lost Creek Hollow, or it could be the Vale, or anywhere else. But ever since that night when Marten had caught her crying, when she had felt so lost, and when Marten had said that maybe, they weren't babies anymore and they wanted to be apart from their mother, Laurel had felt a nagging fear grasp at her heart. What if that was true?

She, too, found herself wandering alone while Indra and Marten rested. She needed some time to put her thoughts in line, to consider her possibilities. Was it worth it to keep travelling even though the were ill-prepared for it? Or should they turn back towards Stigmata's pack to collect Piper if she was back, and then return to the Hollow? Accept and admit that she was never going to find Lucas and had uprooted Indra's family for no reason at all? That last thing in particular left Laurel feeling bitter and cold and like that really was not an option. They'd left Indra's children so that they could find Laurel's; not to return home empty-handed and prove they'd not attained anything.

Someone else was wandering. Maybe lost in thought, too. Laurel initially ignored them, but figured moments later that she could not give up her search and should ask them if they'd seen Lucas, at the very least. The more wolves knew, the bigger odds that he would turn up eventually.

It didn't take long as she started her approach to notice their distinct features. Piebald, a rarity on its own. But when she drew closer and noticed the familiar colour of his pelt -- matching her own -- and the way his body was build up, Laurel realised just who she was headed towards. Her head erected and ears pressed forward in apparent disbelief. Could it really be..? His body had grown since she had last seen him but there was no mistaking that she was headed towards her son. Lucas! Laurel called out, and she ran with bated breath towards him at full speed, hoping that her call of his name would confirm her strong suspicions about his identity.
200 Posts
Ooc —
Imagine a world in which thinking about something was enough to deposit it right in your lap. Absurd, right? Nothing was that perfect. Lucas thought so too, and yet here he was, thinking of his missing family, while his own mother observed him from afar. He was oblivious to her presence; Luc was certainly a perceptive young wolf, but only to things right in front of him. He wouldn't have noticed a pair of eyes watching him if they were burned into the back of his head. Perceptive, but not the sharpest, and with no reason to be cautious, he never developed that sort of wariness.

So Laurel's shout came out of nowhere as far as he was concerned. He spun around on his toes, a perfect little pirouette, in response to his name... and his heart swelled. Was it even possible? If there were gods out there, they'd seen fit to answer Lucas' prayers that day. He couldn't possibly mistake the she-wolf headed toward him; he saw her in the brown of his arms whenever he looked at them, and knew her to be the loveliest woman alive. With tail windmilling, he unabashedly called out, mama! even though he was a full grown young man now, with a young man's voice, because he was just far too excited not to lapse back into the mindset of a young boy as he sought to collide with his dam for a wolfish hug.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Just like she had always imagined their reuniting would go, ever since they started their journey to find him, Lucas came running towards her, ready to collide. He was a lot bigger than she remembered, of course, and his voice was different and yet the same. They collided into a wolf hug and Laurel planted her head against the side of his neck, taking in his scent which felt familiar yet completely different in all possible ways. Saltier. Different. But still her baby Lucas, her favourite child, her pride and joy.

I have missed you so much, she murmured into his fur and she pressed her head firmly against the side of his face and neck as she decided to enjoy this moment just a little bit longer.
200 Posts
Ooc —
He slammed into his mother with a strangled laugh, wrapping his neck around her slighter one with the crushing force of a bear's hug. Lucas hadn't fully realized how much he missed his mother until that precise moment, when his heart felt fit to burst and his eyes were wet without him knowing it. He sifted through the smells in her fur the same way she did his, but he didn't take much notice of any of her new scents. He focused primarily on the familiar, warm smell of her, which was coincidentally the smell of home in his mind.

I've missed you too, he breathed into the side of her face, then pulled back his head slightly. He was larger than her now, nearly equal to his father in height and stature, but she stilled seemed to loom ahead of him the way she had when he was small. Where did you guys go? My friends and I went to Bearclaw Valley to visit but... no one was there.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel had known all along. She'd known that her boy hadn't run off by himself, that he had always wanted to return but he simply didn't know how. Much in the same way that she and Indra had been unable to return to Silver Creek when they had been taken away by Reek, because they just did not know the way, he too had been too young to find his way back alone. When he eventually had, they had left, of course. Laurel knew she shouldn't have left Bearclaw Valley because her children would find their way back one day. Why had she let others convince her to do so?

None of it mattered now because Lucas was here now and she could engulf him in a hug, smell all the scents on his fur, pick through what was the same and different now. She didn't know what to say when he pulled back his face -- she didn't realise how big he was fully until that moment when she looked up at him -- and asked where they'd gone. After a moment she said: It was really just a few wolves left and because it was winter, we had to move. We ended up joining Lost Creek Hollow, nearby. Piper left, too, so me and Indra decided to go and look for you and Pipes. We've found out where Piper lives, so we can all go home now. She said 'home' a little uncertainly, because honestly, Laurel was not too sure where that was nowadays. Yeah, they could head back to Lost Creek Hollow, but would it really be home..? Do you need to say good-bye to your friends? she asked, realising that he'd mentioned friends. Only then as she said it did she realise that maybe it was an option for them all to move in with whoever had taken care of her poor lost boy.

And then she realised that she hadn't even asked what had happened at all. Rewinding, Laurel said: Oh, but I'm getting ahead of things. We should head back to aunt Indra, and you can tell me all about what happened. How does that sound?
200 Posts
Ooc —
As Laurel explained what happened, Lucas stayed quiet, responding only in occasional nods to show he was comprehending. Finding Bearclaw Valley empty was distressing, but now he understood they hadn't had much of a choice. He'd spent the winter with wolves like Govinda and the denizens of Undersea, who had all ensured he stayed well and fed. Their numbers were small too, and if he thought about that long enough he would wonder exactly why his family had to leave the valley, but he got it. Winter was rough and there was safety in numbers.

Oh, he said, hesitating a little when she asked if he needed to say goodbye. Here was Lucas' selfishness on display: up until right now, he hadn't spared any thought for how reuniting with his family might affect his friends. It would have been one thing if they merely visited Bearclaw Valley and his family was well and settled there as they'd been before, but now his family was uprooted, and Laurel expected him to go with them. Of course he would. It was likely that upon seeing them in the valley, Lucas might have abandoned his companions in favour of them... but now it was all but certain.

Uh, yeah, I should say goodbye. D'you think they'll be mad? I'm part of their pack but only kind of. After all, Koi and Currituck meant a lot to him, but he hadn't truly been initiated into Undersea for long before they all left on their adventure. Moorhen meant less but only because he interpreted her directness as rudeness, however wrong he might be about it. One of them knew you, mom! Her name's Moorhen, she said she lived in Bearclaw Valley, she led me there to visit. Maybe you could say hi too! As for heading back to aunt Indra, he bobbed his head. It would be good to see his aunt after all that time apart.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It was unbelievable that she had found back Lucas at last. After finding Piper and Wyatt, Laurel had really hoped that she would, but she had lost so many wolves in her life that she didn't dare hope too loud. And now he was right here in front of her. He seemed a little overwhelmed by all of her questions, which was understandable because it was all happening very fast. That was the only way Laurel would have it, however, because she'd spent enough time away from her baby boy already. She couldn't believe how tall he'd gotten. He was so handsome! And he'd made friends, who had kept him safe. Bless them.

With a sweet smile on her face Laurel said: If they're friends of yours, I'm sure they'll understand, sweetheart. She definitely needed to thank them for taking care of Lucas in his time away from her. The name Moorhen didn't exactly ring a bell for Laurel, though maybe if she'd see this Moorhen she would remember her from her time in Bearclaw Valley. I'm glad that you ran into her, Laurel said with a wave of her tail, That's sweet of her that she brought you to the Valley to find us. I must thank her for that, too. Anyone who helped her son was a friend of Laurel's as far as she was concerned. Laurel wasn't entirely sure where 'home' was going to be for them -- the Hollow beckoned because Indra's babes were there, but it didn't beckon Laurel overly much because she hadn't gotten along that well with Terance and also Xan was there -- but it didn't matter as long as her children were with her. Are they near? Where is this sort-of pack of yours?
200 Posts
Ooc —
Her reassurance was all Lucas needed to feel instantly better about his decision. Undersea would always be there, and he would be sure to visit once his family settled down. He was sure his friends would understand. It wasn't his intention to leave Undersea when they set out on their journey, but when they finally arrived in the Valley and he was faced with the concrete idea that he would never see his mother or his aunt or his siblings again, Lucas knew he could never let them go now.

Yeah, she got us there and back safely, he agreed with a nod. Whatever he might think of Moorhen, and whatever effect she might have on his self esteem, she was a good wolf. Lucas would miss her in his own subdued way. The pack's called Undersea, they live on that island way over there, he said, jabbing his boxy muzzle toward the sea and the isle silhouetted against the horizon. My friends are close, yeah. In the forest nearby. He swung around as though to lead her back to them, then started suddenly.

Oh, I found Mona! She said she's having babies, isn't that exciting? I can't wait to meet them! He wholly believed that Lost Creek Hollow, where Mona and her cubs were, was where they were going after this.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel nodded a few times as Lucas mentioned his friends and his pack, Undersea, which lived on an island nearby. But as luck would have it, they appeared to be nearby right now. Laurel smiled and said, That's nice, so we could tell them now. Do you want me to come with? Laurel smiled, finding it hard to let him go, but would do so if he preferred speaking to his friends alone instead. He was, after all, a big boy now -- all grown up, even though he'd always be her baby boy.

As for the news of Mona, Laurel was surprised to hear she was expecting. Oh, really? The surprise was audible in her voice. She didn't tell you that I and aunt Indra were looking for you, then? Admittedly, Laurel hadn't exactly said good bye to Mona either. But she'd told Terance and surely he'd informed the rest of the pack, right?
200 Posts
Ooc —
You can come! said Lucas, ever happy to have as many wolves in his company as possible. Besides, how was Laurel supposed to say hello to @Moorhen if she just hung back? That didn't make any sense at all. Beaming at her, he went on, they'll love you, I'm sure! He wasn't considering the chance that they might be upset about his decision to leave them. He thought better of them than that, truth be told; it never even crossed his mind that his companions would be anything but happy for him.

Oh, yeah, I guess she mentioned it, he admitted as he thought back to his reunion with Mona. I kind of didn't believe it until we got there, though, and then I guess I was so surprised no one was home, I sort of forgot. He had an impeccable memory when he wanted to, but as it turned out, Lucas' memory was a smidge selective, not unlike his grandmother's. She said Wyatt was gone too?

Since most of Lucas' traveling companions are PPC now, we can either fade out with them arriving at the group, or we can continue if Moorhen wants to get a few posts in! I'm good with either!
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel smiled at her son's warm-heartedness. He was such a good boy, always had been, and it was so good to be back with him again. Unlike Wyatt, who seemed shocked and frightened to see her, if anything, Lucas immediately hugged her and was glad to be home with his mama, where he belonged. It didn't matter that he was all grown up now -- in Laurel's mind he would always remain her lil' boy. Great! Laurel said, having hoped and counted on getting to meet his friends. She didn't look forward to telling them she would be taking her son, but such was life. She was grateful that they had taken care of him all this time, though, presuming they weren't also the ones who'd taken him.

What happened? she wondered out loud. You were just gone one day. We were so worried, and we couldn't find you anywhere. Laurel frowned in worry thinking back to how miserable she had been. Piper had done what she could to make her poor mother feel a little better... It was weird that Mona hadn't been more specific about everything, but then again, Laurel had never been too close to the girl. She was subservient, but it wasn't like Mona was here with them now, having come with to search for Lucas, so her subservience only went so far anyway.

Anyway -- About Wyatt, Laurel stiffened when he was mentioned. Then said: I found him in a different coast pack. He turned his back on our family and won't return. There was a bitterness in her voice she could not quite hide.

i'm also cool w/ a fade :)
200 Posts
Ooc —
I was in the meadow, dancing, Lucas explained, and some nice wolves approached me. Said they could show me some new dance moves and teach me to be a better singer, too. They said it would only take the night but then it turned into two nights, then five, then a lot more. I didn't know how to get back home, so I stayed with them. They were good to me. He would forever love and miss the troupe, even if what he was explaining sounded very much like kidnapping to anyone else's ears. To naive Lucas, they had just wanted to teach him longer and show him what the world of entertainment had to offer. There was no foul play there as far as he was concerned.

Then there was a big storm and I got separated from them, and met someone named Govinda here by this gigantic salt lake. I stayed with him for a bit, but he had to go, too. Then I went to Undersea where Dancer lives—she said she's Nuna's and Marten's real mom, but said aunt Indra is too. But she was gone when I got there. I met Koi and Moorhen and Currituck and the rest is history! He had never quite understood what Reigi meant by that, but strange family dynamics were just the norm to Lucas, so he didn't often wonder about it either. The news that followed about Wyatt was upsetting. Lucas didn't know it was possible to turn your back on your family, and he didn't know that was a common theme in Laurel and Indra's story, so he replied with just a quiet and contemplative, oh. Maybe one day Wyatt would change his mind.

They were arriving now at the edge of where Lucas' friends were gathered. As expected, @Koi was the first to boisterously greet them, followed by @Currituck and then a more cautious Moorhen. Lucas introduced each of them in turn to his mother, then broke the news that he would be returning to his family. They took it about as well as might be expected—Currituck and Koi were more forgiving, albeit sad, and Moorhen was more harsh about it, as he knew she would be—and eventually he left his Undersea friends behind to leave the coast with his beloved mother.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It was a strange and fantastical story to Laurel how Lucas got separated from the family. Her blood boiled thinking of the ones who'd taken him away from her. But she understood from the story they were no longer the ones who were with him now. Otherwise, she would've either told them the truth or taken Lucas away right now before they could spirit him away again. There was no use berating him for leaving; he was but a child, and of course he'd follow the instructions of seemingly helpful adults. He'd learned that lesson the hard way.

When "Dancer" was mentioned, Laurel visibly stiffened. The girl who had stolen Xan's heart so that she may never be with him. The thought that she had been with Laurel's own son made Laurel feel pretty pissed off -- especially knowing she had not returned him immediately. Of course she wouldn't. She kept everything to herself. Anyway, it seemed she had left undersea by now, for which Laurel was glad. She never wanted to see that bitch again or she might tear her face off.

That sounds like quite the adventure, Laurel spoke softly, a warm smile on her face. I'm glad it lead you back to me. Wyatt was dead to Laurel for now, but Lucas was right here. It was a dream come true; after his disappearance things had started falling apart, and now things would be whole again.

Laurel smiled politely as she was introduced to Lucas' friends. She gritted her teeth as one of them was a bit rude about his departure, but kept calm and friendly, telling herself she just needed to get through this one moment and then she'd have her baby boy all to herself again. And then finally they were alone again with the two of them -- a lot to catch up on, and Laurel lead him back to Indra, Marten, and dumb Tadec (whose presence at their side Laurel actually didn't like one bit, as men only brought trouble) so they could reconnect.