NPC
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
All Welcome 
It terrified the crap out of Eljay to leave the territory alone. He remembered well what had happened to mommy each time she'd gone out when he was little. He remembered struggling to survive outside of Drageda. He remembered meeting some nice, but many bad wolves out there. He remembered the war and getting hurt. It was terrifying, but Eljay felt that he had to go and do this.

He made his way into the territory, towards the old den he and his parents used to inhabit for quite some time. He'd remembered suddenly a stone they'd always kept in the den, and he remembered he'd been told it was a gift from Wifi when he'd been born. Eljay sniffed around the den once he had found it, pawed through some old things. Gosh... They'd moved multiple times, and he didn't even remember if it was moved along each time. What if mommy and daddy had brought it along..? It was so long ago, Eljay wondered if it was still there. Then he suddenly noticed a sparkle next to the den's entrance, beside a pile of old chew toy bones, and his heart skipped a beat. He'd found it! Eljay glanced at the darkening skies and then back at the stone. He was still terrified to run into someone with ill intentions, or worse, someone who'd steal the precious stone from him, so with a rapidly beating heart Eljay moved to grab the stone so that he could leave this desolated place that'd once been home.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Every so often, Gannet liked to travel. Apparently there was some kind of festival coming up, but before he went, he'd decided he wanted to take a trip. Not a long one, but not a short one either.

And, before he knew it, he was nearing the Caldera. Maybe it was his conversation with Sarah coming back to mind, or maybe it was living with Liffey again. Something had drawn him back here, and as he stared at the shape of it, memories flickered across his thoughts.

He wondered if it had been claimed, but it didn't seem to be. He passed through it silently, taking in the familiar sights without too much emotion on his face, before he came to a stop near where his parents had been buried all those years ago. Here he sat for a bit, silent, staring thoughtfully at the horizon. He wondered if they were gone or still here, like some said. He didn't know if he had a preference - either way, he knew he would never see them again. This was okay. Life came and went, and while it still had the ability to make him sad, he didn't mind being sad sometimes.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay picked up the stone, eager to give it to Wiffle when he managed his way home to the copse (though this still felt a lot more like home), when he noticed a light figure standing in the distance. He stopped at first and squinted his eyes to see if it was anyone good or bad. His tail twitched anxiously while he tried to decipher it but as soon as he noticed the black paws -- it'd been hard to see at first because of the lingering snow -- Eljay realised that it was someone he hadn't seen in a really long time.

Ghhnnnt! he called out in surprise, voice muffled through the stone. He walked up towards Gannet and dropped the stone there, making sure to keep it between his front paws so that he would not lose it. Blinking in evident surprise, Eljay called out: Wow! It's been super long! Because he had no idea what else to say and was, honestly, rather flabbergasted.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Someone was here. Gannet heard Eljay before he saw him, and whirled defensively. For some reason, something about the Caldera set him on edge, as though ghosts might be lurking. But it was only Eljay.

Gannet's face broke into a smile as soon as he recognized him, and his tail waved happily. Eljay! While his voice never quite hit enthusiastic, it was clear he was extremely pleased to see him. Hi.

He glanced around. Was his cousin here alone, or had more come? They hadn't reclaimed it, since there were no markings, but it was definitely good and strange to see him here!
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Gannet looked about as excited to see Eljay as Eljay felt to see Gannet. Eljay blinked in confusion as he tried to place Gannet being.. here, of all places. He, too, contemplated 'had wolves reclaimed Redhawk Caldera' but then concluded no swiftly. What're you doing here? Eljay asked at first, and then realised that he was being rather rude in not asking about Gannet himself first. I mean -- sorry, uh, how are you? Where do you live now? Was it anywhere near here? And that lead Eljay back to his first question: What was Gannet doing here, now?
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet's look remained cheerful as Eljay questioned why he was here. I don't know. He had no idea what had made him come this way but he was glad whatever it was did. It was good to see him again.

I'm in the Hollow with Liffey. It's good. He was finding a place there slowly but surely, hollowing out a corner for himself and enjoying the company. Are things good? He didn't recall when exactly Eljay had left, but he did remember talking to him. He'd been leaving because he didn't feel useful also, if Gannet remembered right. He hoped that had changed for him as much as it had for Gannet himself.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay blinked in confusion when Gannet said that he didn't know what he was doing here. Communicating with Gannet had always been a little bit.. difficult.. for Eljay. It was as if they just didn't really understand each other. But at the same time, Eljay never felt judged by this miscommunication as much with Gannet as he did with some others, who might think him stupid for it, so it didn't make him nervous. Oh. I was here to find... There was a stone that Wiffle gave my parents when I was, uhm... Anyway, I went to pick up something with memory value. That was perhaps the best way to describe it without getting too in-depthy.

As Gannet said he was at the Hollow with Liffey, Eljay smiled broadly. With Liff! That's great. I saw her just recently, it was... It was nice. Actually, I... Could you tell her a message from me? They'd spoken only recently and had caught up, but things had been very up in the air with Wiffle back then. Wildfire and I, we, um, we're mates now, and we're expecting puppies. Eljay looked at Gannet with an excited and happy smile on his face, figuring this had to be news to Gannet, too. He supposed that sort of made them family, now (although the Firebirds and Blackthorn pups had always been close enough to be considered family of the heart, to Eljay, anyway. Gannet was still a bit like a little brother to him regardless).
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It took Gannet a minute to realize what Eljay was talking about. Luckily, in the second part, he clarified. He and Wildfire were mates? Gannet tried to resolve an image of his older sister in mind, but she kinda blended together with others... he'd seen her once, when Fox had taken he and Whip to visit. But other than that, he hadn't been there when Drageda had come, or when Wildfire had joined again.

That's good! he said, thrilled for Eljay. So many were having children! It was a good time, then. The fact that this would make him an uncle didn't quite register because it was so hard to remember Wildfire and because it didn't occur to him he might meet them. But even the simple fact that Eljay seemed so happy was something to celebrate.

I'll tell her. When?
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Gannet seemed excited by the news, though less surprised than Eljay had expected (and than everyone else had been all the time each time they found out. except for mommy.). When he asked 'when', Eljay said: Oh, when you see her, then realised that Gannet probably meant something else. Oh, uhm -- in.. A little over a month, I think. He thought to himself for a moment, adding up symptoms and estimating the time it had been since they.. you know, and then nodded. It all happened pretty suddenly. But I think it's going okay so far. It helps that I'm midwife so I'm right there if anything happens. Which reminded Eljay of how very not right there he was right now, eek. Calming himself, he continued: But it's going pretty well, so I hope they'll stay healthy. In all his busy chatting about Wiffle and the pups Eljay totally forgot to ask Gannet how he was doing.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He committed the timeline to memory, resolving to tell @Liffey as soon as he got back (if not in our thread then Stevie can assume Ilu).

His attention did a one eighty though when Eljay mentioned midwife. He'd been excited before, and now that same light flickered through his pale eyes again. That means you help? With the mothers? Not just the pups. I want to learn. Can you help? If Eljay was busy and needed to get back that was fine, but Gannet thought something today was better than nothing. When the time came he needed to be able to do whatever he could.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Surprisingly, Gannet seemed enthusiastic when Eljay mentioned him being a midwife. It was surprising because it wasn't usual that others grew excited about Eljay's trades. He smiled appreciatively at this and nodded at Gannet's question. Yeah. At Gannet's question for help, Eljay could not help but frown in worry. He'd told Liffey that she should seek a caretaker in her pack, and she'd said it would be fine, but now it looked like she didn't have one after all. Otherwise Gannet could simply learn from them.

Isn't... The Hollow doesn't have a caretaker..? he asked carefully, clearly rather worried because he already knew the answer would be they did not. I guess I could teach some things, but it's hard to uhm, just in words. And he certainly didn't want to take Gannet away from the hollow. Eljay had considered going there to tend after Liffey this season, but, well, then Wiffle had already happened..
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet, bless his heart, was completely oblivious to why Eljay would be worried. He caught a hint, but brother to pregnant sister to no midwife was too many hops for him to make most days. I want to but it's hard. Gannet explained, a light frown creasing his face. I am learning but on my own. He gave a wave of his tail and brightened. Telling is good though! It's better. It will help too. He would take every little bit he could grab, and eventually, it would form a lesson.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay nodded at Gannet, though he still felt it would be best for him to learn in practise. He frowned thoughtfully as he thought of where even to start. I could uhm, tell you about a few herbs that's good for mothers, I guess, maybe we're lucky enough to find some around here. And I guess experience helps. I helped mom deliver one of her litters closely and have tried to help where I could and was allowed. Timing was tricky -- he'd missed Raven's litter too despite trying to keep close tabs on her -- but experience taught best.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
That was perfect! It was exactly what he didn't know! Yes! he agreed, and bounced towards his cousin to give him a quick hug of a touch, a little like an enthusiastic dog after a long day of work. Finally he'd found some luck and Eljay was the best of the best for offering it.

You were there when they had them? He asked as he pulled back. He had a hard time picturing it. I don't know if they will let me. He got the feeling he'd need to be there longer, or be better, because he'd gotten nowhere near a request for that so far.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
At Gannet's question, Eljay said: Only one of mom's litters. The one that didn't go too well... He wondered if she would allow him to help her again when she had pups this year again. If she did. It's also hard for timing, if you get to be there. I was going to help Raven, but then she suddenly went into labour and I missed it. Luckily it'd all gone well even though Eljay had not been there to help. He wondered if Wiffle would let him be present when she gave birth, but at the very least he would have lots of practice in the aftermath, too, in this one.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
That had to be amazing. Gannet couldn't imagine what went into birth, but definitely a lot. What did you do? he asked. If he was there, he must have done something to help, and if Gannet was ever in the same spot he'd want to do the same. From what he was saying, though, it sounded like things could go okay either way.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay bit his lip as he thought back to the traumatic experience that was almost seeing his mommy die from childbirth. I didn't have a lot of experience yet, I... I tried to wake her up, but nothing seemed t-to help. He frowned deeply, his eyes distant and watery as emotion gripped at his heart. I guess that we were mostly lucky that she survived. Eljay smiled awkwardly. Now I guess that I would check if there isn't too much blood loss, and if so, try to stop that, as well as give some herbs that would stop the pain and infection a bit. But he hoped that he wouldn't need to face that situation. Eljay found himself growing anxious thinking about Wiffle's birth. What if it'd go wrong? What if she lost a lot of blood? What if she died?!

I should head back soon, he said hastily, seeming to suddenly think about how he should head on home.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
At first the story wasn't super helpful, but he could see it was upsetting to remember. Gannet felt some sympathy, but it had been a long time since he'd seen Finley and he'd never considered her a mother as the rest of them seemed to. His mom was already gone, a long while ago.

Okay, he answered, a little disappointed but understanding. He still had so many questions, like which herbs to stop bleeding! And what do you look for that is bad? How do you fight infection?

He wouldn't keep him, though. It was good seeing you, he added. He would take Eljay's message back to Liffey; but first he would hang here a bit longer.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay wished that he could help more, but the truth of the matter was that he was still learning too and he wasn't like, the best at being a midwife or taking care of these kind of problems either. Really, it was a precarious thing and if being a midwife had taught Eljay anything it was mostly how dangerous giving birth could be.

Sorry, Eljay said, sensing the disappointment and knowing that it was a disappointing journey into becoming midwife. Because he, too, had gone through these realisations. There was a bit you could do to try and help stop bleeding or giving them things against infection and pain, but really, giving birth was tricky business.

As Gannet said that it was good seeing him, Eljay smiled. Thanks, you too. You're always welcome to drop by at the Firebirds in the Copse, if you have time. Eljay smiled appreciatively and picked up the stone he'd found. He nudged Gannet's shoulder briefly in passing before starting to make his way back to the Firebirds pack.