Stavanger Bay I took his hand, we stood back, and watched the banks turn red.
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
i couldn't resist sry

It was morbid curiosity that took her this far south.

It had been long enough since her joining with Firefly for her to regret it, but doubts weren't enough for her to take steps to reverse the decision.  She'd known she'd be skittish about it, and doubtless before this was over she'd come to regret it a thousand times more.  At this point, though, it was too soon to even know if the decision had stuck.

Maybe that was why she needed a trip.  She'd informed @Erzulie that she wanted to scout south.  Her leg was feeling better and she needed to strengthen it - extended stress still pained it, but an easy pace would only rebuild the muscle that had wasted these last two months of disuse.  As long as she struck purely south along the coast, she had few doubts that she would be fine.  Drageda did not come here, not from her recollection.

She hadn't meant to come this far, but now here she was, at the edge of a claim that had at one time been hers.  And new borders had been set.  She felt a possessive anger fill her for a moment; but then it petered out, and she heaved a heavy sigh.  Sure, this place had almost been home once.  But if these wolves could gain better luck from it, then she wished them well.

Still, she stood for a moment, her gaze lingering on the trees that edged the bay.  She wondered if any of her old crew numbered among them, and how many had made it out alive when the bear came calling.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
velen was rather distracted these days, for the bay still wreathed with delectable scents, and his mind reverberated with what ford had said. it was all he could think about, even as he set his eyes upon the waters and began to scan them harshly for prey.
but even that did not dissuade his thoughts, and the ceto turned away with a huff, padding instead into a patrol. the things he wanted could not be had yet. except for dalia. the recollection of her, in any way, brought a smile to decorate velen's features — it was with a lighter heart that he came upon upon the rocky beach and let his chestnut eyes alight in the direction of the stranger.
the wolf did not move, and nor did he. only the trees proclaimed life, drifting in the warmer spring breeze.
[Image: tumblr_nbvmjgI5Eb1txly86o1_500.gif]
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She wasn't sure what she was doing here.  The trip was a long one, and for what?  To look at the place she'd failed to protect?  The thought didn't come with any bitterness, just acceptance.  She'd come to terms with it, and it had been a long time, but standing here and seeing it again did bring some of that emotion back.  But there was a kind of nostalgic happiness too, because these beaches were where she'd first met Erzulie.  That particular meeting felt even more like a lifetime ago.

With that thought, she felt the urge to return, and was going to leave.  But then a wolf caught her eye, one of those who lived here presumably.  Well.  It would do well to know the neighbors, yes?  Couldn't have them rudely ignoring everyone like they now did Drageda.

What is this pack? She asked, loud enough for the words to hopefully carry to him.  She could introduce herself if he wanted to stick around, but for now, that was what she most wanted to know.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the wolf called to him, and velen realized it was a woman, strong and proud beneath a covering of scars. formidable; he drew closer to inspect her coastal scent. "this is stormrift, led by ford mayfair-cairn, my brother." there was no small pride within velen at the utterance of his surname, for had they not claimed the land with it?
"why do you ask?" the ceto inquired, bringing to bear the full weight of his chestnut gaze upon her. there was nothing familiar about the woman, and yet she stood with a confidence that was undeniable, as if she too belonged to the sea lapping behind them.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Her ears pricked at Cairn, and the rest of what he said was almost lost.  Stormrift, led by a Cairn.  It was almost too convenient, and it couldn't be unrelated.  She looked at him sharply.  Any relation to Smokestep Cairn? She asked, not answering his second question just yet. She could answer that after.

It didn't matter really, it wasn't like she was seeking to join this pack or reclaim this land.  But to hear that they'd settled here again irked her.  Smokestep had formed here, then deserted them.  And now, now that once he left the ashes of his claim had blown away, they just rebuilt again with no thought to those who had been abandoned?

He'd better not be here.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
her gaze seemed to sharpen, knifing through the ceto. immediately on guard, marvelling at how she had turned to stone before him, velen nodded. "aye. that's my uncle." how had she known smokestep? if velen had heard of ironsea, he did not remember. so who was this cold woman who had turned up near stormrift asking about a relative?
silently he waited for her rejoinder, chestnut eyes growing cool, for he did not like the situation. and while he did not feel threatened, velen was not warm to outsiders, another trait of the family that had bred him.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She didn't register his reaction all that carefully, so it was fortunate he took her questioning fairly well.  She was too distracted by their presence and her own self-righteous irritation for that.

He led a pack here, before.  Is he back?  She tried to keep this question neutral, but there was definitely a razor edge behind it, a keen interest that was more than simple conversation.  They were an established crew, and she couldn't do much with the information, even if her question did prove true.  But she still had to ask.  It didn't matter, but it did, somehow.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
boy, she asked a lot of questions. the woman was still beautiful beneath her scarring, which unfairly endeared her to velen somewhat. but the sharpness to her undertones caused the young wolf's guard hairs to prickle with warning. "why don't you tell me who you are, hmm?" the ceto invited, though his hard gaze made it clear he had not made a true request.
plume arching above his hips, velen pressed forward. she could answer or she could leave, and this was plain in his stance.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She was too caught up in her questions to realize that she'd skipped on the whole courtesy business, but he soon made it clear he hadn't missed it.  He didn't answer this last one, and as it was the one she most wanted an answer to, she was too annoyed not to show it.

Rosalyn.  I am a part of Rusalka, but I used to lead a crew here.  She didn't draw herself up, instead allowing him to do his own posturing. She had no intention of causing any trouble here.  They had enough to worry about in the north.

The crew your uncle abandoned.  So I was curious if he'd finally seen fit to return.  She asked this semi casually aside from the judgemental bite behind.  If this pack wasn't his attempt at a new start, then she wished them all the best.  If it was, then she hoped they all drowned with the next high tide.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
velen still didn't like her tone, but it suggested there was more than a little bad blood between her and smokestep. "no, he isn't back," the ceto confirmed. truth be told, he wasn't entirely sure of the man's whereabouts these days, simply that he wasn't here.
"my brother ford leads here now. this is stormrift." chestnut eyes scrutinized rosalyn closely. "never heard of a rusalka," velen admitted, though he was tiring of the tension and kept his tone lighter with the commentary.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
It was maybe foolish of her to think he would be, and as he said no, she wondered how she appeared.  She'd showed up at a strange doorstep and immediately given this man the third degree.  Ah well, if he intended to lay a claim on this coast, he should probably become accustomed to a bit of crazy.

I hope your brother has fairer sailing than we did.  There was a bear that came and scattered us.  I doubt it is still around, but you may want to keep an eye out.  She'd not seen a trace of it since.  With this advice and well wishing, though, she dropped the accusatory intensity, and relaxed.  If he hadn't heard of Rusalka, and as a pack with enemies, she should probably attempt to make a better impression.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"good lookin' out. appreciate it," velen drawled, though he doubted very much that she had just been pursuing an act of goodwill. something had happened, something that was not a bear. but the ceto wasn't sure if he wanted to ask, or to know. it was clear this woman had a beef with smokestep, and it was probably best not to claw that wound open again.
"so tell me about rusalka, if you don't mind," velen invited. "i like neighbors." stormrift was a cold pack, but not an aggressive one by any means; he had no reason to suspect ford would be dragging them into battle anytime soon.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
He was going to give her a generous opportunity to walk back her former rudeness and she would take it.  She'd never professed to be an expert in diplomacy.  She had more than enough witnesses to her shortcomings in that around these parts, after all.

Rusalka needed friends, so she'd do her best.

We keep mostly to ourselves, and live in the sound north of here.  We've had some problems with the cliff wolves, but only because they seemed to wish we were gone.  She kept it light, since it wasn't entirely necessary to air all of their dirty laundry to a strange back. Just enough to set the scene.  We are a new pack, but most in it have lived on this coast for seasons.  It is a... fickle place.  She paused, not wanting to imply that their pack would not be one to make it, but thinking it all the same.  Perhaps they were stronger.  They'd certainly need to be.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
velen nodded, filing away what she had said. the sound — he couldn't recall having visited there, but maybe for alliance purposes he would take a trip in the near future. the mention of the cliff wolves was foreign; the bay was far enough removed from drageda for there to be no conflict between the two packs. 
he wanted to know more, but the scarred woman was still speaking, snatching his attention and redirecting it to talk of coastal wolves. "i've lived all my life on the sea, too," velen mused. "you're right. fickle indeed but i wouldn't trade it for anything." a rakish smile. "in the interests of positive stormrift-rusalka relations, please, come in," the ceto invited, stepping aside in case she took him up on his offer.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
He was attractive, but Rosalyn had found her patience for men, even those with faces like his, to be abysmally short nowadays.  Fortunately, while his smile was inviting, his tone didn't seem to apply anything other than friendly curiosity.

Did she want to even see it?

A weird reluctance took her, but she nodded, stepping forward to join him. Maybe it was better to know that life was going on in this place they had failed, and perhaps one day if nothing else, it was a place where they would not run her off on sight.  There were so few of those left now.

Aye, alright.  And I suppose if you have questions, I owe some answers as well.  In the interest of good neighbors.  Perhaps she could meet the new leader here, see the sort he was, though she wouldn't ask if it wasn't offered.  She wasn't looking to join, after all.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
in true masculine form, had velen known her thoughts, he would have treated her to a chortle and a light bit of flirtation. he had never been rejected before, though this was a moot point as few opportunities to cavort with ladies had ever presented themselves. still, the ceto was youthfully overconfident in his abilities.
but velen did not have the dubious gift of telepathy; he moved to walk alongside the proud scarred woman in silence for many beats before he sighed. "honestly, i am sickeningly interested in what this beef with smokestep is about," he admitted, for he had no other questions aside from that one.
for now.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Of course he was; how couldn't he be after that introduction?  She hadn't come here intending to air dirty laundry and dredge up the past, but if this wasn't the proper place she didn't know where was.  It could do no harm, and she saw no reason not to tell it.

He led a crew here, a while back.  Recruited many, including myself, on strict terms.  But apparently such terms did not apply to him, as he left with about half of them when his sister disappeared.  Sandpiper.  She was tense as she spoke, but most of her ire had burned when she learned he was not here now.  I tried to lead what was left, but when the bear came, we weren't enough.  Despite herself, an edge of ice did lace her tone with that.  It had been months but it did still cut.  My 'beef' would be that he doesn't deserve a second chance here.  You, though, are obviously welcome to it.  On the second point, her lips twitched up into a smile.  As if she could stop them.  She couldn't and didn't wish to, odd as it might be to think of the Bay being occupied again.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
fade w another round? <3

he listened, lips thinning into a grim line. so smokestep had done his crew like that, huh? while the mayfair-cairns were imperfect, it was not something velen would have expected, complete abandonment of his wolves. and then this bear. velen wanted to ask rosalyn more, but it was clear that this was a sore subject for the scarred woman. and so he decided to leave off.
"i have to agree with you about smokestep, knowing that. we've made a good go of it so far," the ceto murmured fondly, sweeping his gaze over stormrift. "just takes the right person, i guess." realizing he could stand to be a bit more hospitable, he cleared his throat. "hungry?"
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
<3

It felt good to be validated, and even moreso by one who claimed to be kin to the former Captain.  It warmed her up even more to the man, and she thought perhaps they could do far worse than an alliance with this pack.  Perhaps they would not fight Drageda with them, but at least they would not aid the cliffs against them either if she had her way.

I suppose it does, she responded, no ill intent present in the statement.  Her time had not been right, or she hadn't been.  Either way it really all came down to luck. Your Captain won't mind you feeding a stranger?  She smiled as she said this, humoredly this time.  He'd earned a measure of comraderie through his offer, and through his agreement.
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
<3!

perhaps in the months to come, the mayfair-cairns of stormrift would find it necessary to call upon their secluded neighbors for aid. but for now, velen only tipped rosalyn a roguish grin. "can't be strangers if we used to live in the same place, now can we?" he asked, aware it made little sense but wanting to assuage any lasting fears all the same.
the pair fell into step with one another, and as velen made for the nearest cache, he set about regaling the pirate with bawdy tales of his expertise and skill in battle, all highly inflated and embellished, as was the way of those who lived upon the sea.