Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
All Welcome 
botany thread #2

another small cache had been dug, this time outside kukutux' door. it was for plants, she decided. and though she did not know their names, their uses would become plain soon enough. stretched upon the ground, skin side up, and held down with rocks nudged into place, were two pelts. one, a musky, striped thing from an animal called a badger. and the other a tawny, soft skin from an ailing fox kit she had dispatched. 

there was no one to help with their scraping, and so she left it for the present, slinging her rabbitskin across her shoulders and setting off into the weald around her den, perhaps a few feet into the foliage as she began to search for new greenery.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
She'd been with the keep wolves for a little while now and had started learning her way around. It was taking her a little longer than she would like to form a routine. She'd never really had one before. Still Amaya felt she was getting used to pack life after being on her own for so long.

As the sun came up she was leaving the den to start her day. What that looked like she wasn't sure but it would come together soon enough. It always had. The first thing she wanted to do was get a cool drink of water before getting started.

After that she picked her way through the keep making sure to stay alert for anything of interest. A short while later she saw one of her packmates through the trees. She had yet to meet her and Amaya couldn't help but he curious about what she was doing. Maybe it was something the gray girl might be interested in. She turned to go and greet the woman, “Hello, I'm Amaya?” She said as she approached.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux carefully bit away a stem with broad, furling leaves, soft to the touch. caribou plant, she decided, for they were quite similar if not the exact same. the girl would have gone on to inspect another plant had not a gentle feminine voice sounded behind her. turning, the duck regarded a pretty wolf cloaked in the colour of clouds, and carefully backed from the tangle f branches to regard her unexpected companion more fully.

"i greet you," kukutux murmured softly, noting the white accents to the other's coat. "you are one of cry's?" surely so, but the duck was nothing if not careful.
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
While getting a little closer to where the other female was Amaya noticed her bite at one of the plants that was nearby to her. This did pique the gray girls interest causing her to wonder what sort of plant it was and what it could be used for. Glancing around the forest that surrounded them she wondered how many plants where there that could actually be used for something more than what she already knew, which wasn't very much to be honest.

Her gaze fell on the other woman once more. She offered a polite smile in return as she was greeted. “I suppose I would be since he brought me into the pack,” she replied thoughtfully. She hoped she'd answered that question right. “What are you doing there?” She asked indicating the plant that woman had been focused on. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her and she hadn't wasted any time asking.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
pausing only a moment, kukutux lay down the rabbit skin before the other girl to reveal what she had been gathering. "these are plants, for healing. caribou leaves, i heard them called." her gaze flicked to that of the stranger. "i am kukutux," came her soft introduction.

unsure of what now to say, the duck fell silent for a moment, considering how she might take this conversation. bundling the fur again, kukutux offered her companion a gentle smile of invitation and begin to move deeper into the weald once more.
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
Amaya took interest as the other woman lay a rabbit skin in front of her. Inside were the leaves of the plant that she soon learned were called Caribou leaves. Well Amaya knew what a Caribou was but before she could ask more questions the woman introduced herself. “It's very nice to meet you,” she responded with a smile.

She then watched as Kukutux gathered the rabbit skin. Amaya gladly took the invitation to follow the woman deeper into the weald. “What will you use them for?” She finally asked as she moved along behind the woman.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"they are good for sickness of the throat and chest," kukutux shared. "also for wounds that are not too deep." other things must be used when the bone was exposed, or muscle laid bare. "i think it is good to learn to heal if we are to have little ones this year."

and here kukutux' heart ached, for not only was she too young to be numbered among the keep's mothers, she was unmarried, with no promise of sons to preserve her future. the bitterness of what had spun between she and cry choked kukutux somewhat, but she kept this from her companion. "do you like to learn the plants?"
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
Amaya listened carefully as Kukutux explained about the plant eager to hear anything the woman would share. “Do you just eat them or is there another way that is should be given?” The gray woman nodded when she spoke of learning to heal with little ones on the way. “Yes, we need to make sure they are well taken care of.” Which included any scrapes they might get.

Thinking about learning healing for the pups made Amaya think of everything else that would need to be done in preparation. She didn't even think about having pups of her own. Amaya didn't think that she was ready for such a thing at that point in her life.she was brought back to the conversation about plants when Kukutux spoke again. “Yes very much and anything else I can learn.” She'd always loved learning about whatever she could.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
a smile broke across the pale girl's face. "perhaps we shall learn together then," kukutux suggested, her heart rejoicing within her at the idea. but she was careful not to show it too plainly, lest some jealous spirit erupt between them to steal whatever joy might come. 

"for wounds, chew them. for sicknesses, soak them in water and drink the liquid many times a day," the duck murmured. "i know it as chaayux, but i am sorry; i do not know the word for it in this language." pressing on, a soft glance to amaya, kukutux continued to investigate plants, grateful for the other's presence.
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
“Oh, that's a great idea,” she exclaimed when Kukutux suggested they learn the plants together. It would be much better learning alongside someone than on her own. Also Kukutux seemed to have some knowledge to get them started. It would also give her the chance to get to know the other woman better and Amaya always looked learning about others.

Amaya became thoughtful as she learned the uses of the Caribou plant nodding along as they were listed. She hoped she would be able to remember even the time came.  “That's okay Kuktux I can learn it by the word you know.” Amaya hadn't ever considered there were different languages but she was willing to learn.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
she was becoming more fond of amaya by the minute, and it showed in the shy smile she gave the other girl, one of pleasure that her packmate would learn her words for these plants.

"this is what we call igrunak," she murmured, nosing aside foliage to expose wild roses, and their medicinal bases beneath the petals. "it is good for sickness and to keep your breath clean."
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
Amaya couldn't help but wonder if she might have found a new friend in Kukutux. The woman was kind and willing to share the information she knew of the plants. The gray woman hoped that they would be able to spend more time together.

Something that intrigued her was the different words she used for some of the plants. Amaya wanted to learn them too so when Kukutux shared them her tail wagged happily. “Igrunak,” she repeated to make sure she was saying it right. She then peered in the place where the woman had loved the foliage away. Amaya recognized them right away. “They're very pretty. I had no idea they could be used for healing or keeping breath clean. I shall have to remember that should I ever acquire an admirer,” she only half joked.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
likewise, kukutux enjoyed amaya very much, feeling at last the loneliness lifting from her chest. here was someone she could call a friend, without the dubious, polite tie of 'sister' she shared with gwen. the snowstorm would never truly be a companion to her, but perhaps amaya could be called that.

"have you ever had an admirer before?" the duck asked in spite of herself, suddenly curious as to what passed for courtship in this world. it seemed not so very straightforward at all, chaotic even — it was not something kukutux understood. there were proper ways to do things, but the matter of love appeared to come before all of that for the wolves of the teekon.
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
Amaya was pleased that Kukutux was so willing to show her about the plants. Even more she was glad to be getting along so well with the other woman. This first meeting between them made her feel very at home in the Keep, almost like she wasn't so new to the pack after all. It was a feeling she didn't expect to have until she'd been in the pack for a while and really settled in.

She shook her head when Kukutux asked if she'd had an admirer before. “My life before I came to the keep didn't really allow for it. I was always on the move and never in one place to really meet someone,” she explained. Maybe coming to the keep would finally allow her the chance to find someone.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"this place has men, and you are good to look at," kukutux murmured, perhaps teasing amaya a bit. it was good to seek a wife, good to find a husband; even though the duck might feel those avenues closed to her now was no reason that she could not encourage it for others. "i think we should keep an herb store together," the girl decided on a whim. "i have already begun one at my den, if you would like to see."
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
Amaya could feel the heat rise in her cheeks a little at Kukutux compliment. “Thank you, maybe one of those men will find me as nice to look at.” The gray woman hadn't had the chance to meet many of the men that called the Keep home but maybe things would change once she'd been around for awhile. She was a little surprised by the offer that followed the compliment. “I would like that very much. It will give us more time to talk about herbs and get to know each other.” Amaya decided it was an excellent idea and maybe she and Kukutux would become good friends. A wide smile crossed the womans features as she offered to show the cache of herbs she already had. “Yes, please. Lead the way.”
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
fade here? <3

small teeth showing in a smile, kukutux dipped her head to amaya and began to lead them both off. what a wonderful friend the keep had already brought to her; she thought of the days to come and knew that things would be right within the keep. it was not the isle of the sun, but perhaps it could be home.
Loner
58 Posts
Ooc — Tara
It was a nice feeling to have found someone in the Keep that she could call friend so quickly after joining. Amaya hadn't expected that but she felt better about her transition into pack life. Though unexpected perhaps it was one of those nice surprises in life that had brought her to the keep and to a new place she could call home for a long time in the future.

Fade