Moonspear it's been a pleasure, but i must be on my way
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
All Welcome 
arcturus was oblivious to the marital strife his parents endured, but he was not so clueless as to miss that @Charon had relegated himself to patrolling well outside his usual bounds. perplexed on why his father would elect to frequent the borders so often (especially given the season, and the expectancy of puppies) arcturus meandered after his father's scent.

before long he came across charon, and his ears fell in submission as he sought his father's attention. quietly he stepped behind his father's shadow, his features crossed by concern.
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
22 Posts
Ooc —
Shock wasn't done yet. She wasn't anywhere close to being done. Her eyes were wide with yearning when she came upon yet another pack, this one appeared to occupy a mountain, but that wasn't what interested her. She smelled wolves, and that meant some of them must be male. Shock began to linger on the outskirts when she spotted a white and black duo, clearly doing their whole patrolling thing. A quick taste of the air concluded that they were indeed what she was looking for: a couple bundles of healthy XY chromosomes.

Not wasting any time, she threw back her head and yowled for them.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The concern on his son's face was not lost on the patriarch, but he did not respond to it. He watched wordlessly as his son joined his patrol -- which truthfully wasn't really a patrol, but more of a meandering aimlessly. He could not be around the mountain during Hydra's heat. Not his own daughter. Besides, the fight with Amekaze was.. less than perfect, either. Maia gave him a little bit of peace, but only for a little bit. As he returned to the mountain he knew it was a mistake and he should not stay for long.

Not long after their wordless joining up, someone approached, and Charon immediately knew by the smell that it was wrong. He thought of Amekaze a fleeting moment but she was not here and she would not smell like this... Possibly ever again, he thought sourly.

As he looked at the female approach, Charon's hackles rose defensively. He did not wish this onto his son nor into himself. What do you want? asked Charon, a warning to his voice. If it were someone else, he might be inclined to be more positive. But not some stranger that awakened things in him that he hated. It was a lot easier to hate a stranger than his own daughter.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
for a while they picked around in silence, his father leading the way and arcturus just happy to be within reach of charon's impossibly large shadow. he might work up the courage eventually to press his father for answers, but for now he was content to simply meander, no words needing to be exchanged.

that all changed when a howl cut the air, followed by the trickling of that scent arcturus was gradually growing to resent. he followed quickly after his father, spotting a hale white wolf not so far from where they had been wandering. fixing her with an unwelcoming stare, arcturus said nothing, preferring his father to lead such encounters.
send my soul away
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
since shock went inactive, we'll just pretend she ran off :)

The pair of them stared the unwelcome female down; Charon could feel his body itch at the scent, but at the same time it infuriated him greatly that she would come here and make him feel this way. Things were horrible enough just on Moonspear alone. Piss off, he snarled again and it seemed she finally got the hint and left, not wanting to be torn apart by the two males.

After she had gone, Charon simply continued the patrol, though sticking away from the borders still, making sure not to get too close to Hydra's scent.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
a small part of the boy itched also, but for conflict — he almost daringly stared the woman down, as if challenging her to do something stupid. 

in the end she seemed to use the head on her shoulders, and moved off. arcturus issued a haughty snort, his tail brandishing in aggravated motions. his father’s intimidating snark had been enough to ward her away, and arcturus took to mind his father’s demeanor then, in the hopes of replicating it himself in the future. 

he stayed a moment, scathingly glaring at where the woman had disappeared, then he too followed after his father, scraping the dirt with the scent in his pawpads contemptuously for good measure.
send my soul away
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The tension remained in the air and so did the scent of season. Charon muttered under his breath though the words were inaudible. These scents drive everyone mad, Charon said eventually as Arcturus scraped the dirt. Women will throw themselves at you, and become unrealistic and hysteric at the worst of times. It sounded a bit like a mixture between an educational lesson and a warning. Charon continued the patrol, eager to get away from the scents and move further along the spear's outer borders.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
it took time for arcturus’ fur to settle, but as they moved away from the scent, he eventually calmed. listening to his father with a cocked ear, arcturus was lead to come to his own conclusions about women and their heats. 

charon had called them hysteric; arcturus had seen how amekaze’s lack of heat and hydra’s overbearing one had turned the mountain upside down. he had yet to see that it would cause a further rift in his family in a matter of weeks, but the boy was on his way to being less than impressed by estrus and the specimens that beheld them. 

arcturus rubbed his scent along the trail as they went, glancing up from his task to respond to his father. why does it make everyone crazy? cant they control it?
send my soul away
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Arcturus asked if they could not control it and Charon wasn't entirely sure, really, if they could or could not. He doubted a moment and said: I should think so, but apparently not. Then, after a brief pause, he added: I just hope they will think to call for me if Hydra decides she will want to breed -- and trust me, she will. But we'll... see. This mountain has stood for many years, and our family is strong and tight. Charon smiled at Arcturus, looking more optimistic then. We'll never let it get torn apart by such silly things. Ah, to be young and naive.

want to wrap this up soon since we have a new? :D
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
as usual, the boy fell to silence following his father’s words. there was so much about this season he did not understand, and did not wish to understand. he much preferred to ignore it all, and hope things would go back to the way they were before.

his father’s optimism that nothing would fell their family bond encouraged arcturus, who smiled quietly back. the pit in his stomach seemed to lessen then, and the dark boy fell behind his father as they continued their scouting, content to contribute, and simply be in charon’s company a while.
send my soul away