Arrow Lake I fled to the city with so much discounted.
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
Joining 
He'd found himself curious of the range and unafraid, boldly going where (he thought) he'd never gone before; although he had no recollection of living on a mountain at any point in his life, his body took to the lifestyle easily, as if it were in his blood. Yellowbelly was not patient enough with himself regardless. He found himself huffing and puffing from the altitude eventually and forced to rest, growing light-headed if he wasn't careful about his route.

The young man's appetite had grown considerably since he'd stumbled upon the cliffs and gulleys, and soon enough the mixture of low oxygen and great hunger made him lose himself. The effects were not as strong as when he was roaming the lowlands but Yellowbelly was growing confused and agitated, unsure of where he ought to be going.

On numerous occasions he came across a slew of unfamiliar scents and would back-track, only to become addled and back-track again, resulting in him skirting the border for a good hour or so before he finally gave in to his sour mood and sore feet, promptly plopping himself down upon a ridge of familiar stone (which was only familiar because he'd walked the route at least half a dozen times in his confusion).
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
All Welcome 
imma try to prioritize this one bb

The man might have had to wait awhile; Verx didn't know how long he'd been there when he rounded the corner, engaged in a patrol. Immediately upon seeing the stranger, his hackles rose and his head lifted; he extended his trot before coming to a stop close by, staring down at the wolf who was quite a bit smaller than he was. Not a threat to him, at least, but could be a threat to the others. His children.

What's your business here? Vercingetorix rasped brusquely. You know you're camped out pretty close to a pack border, right?

Like, presumably the man wasn't stupid, but then, he'd met a lot of dummies in his time. It really took one to know one, although you had to be a special kind of stupid to get close to a claim as solid as this one without a significant reason why. Verx blinked, waiting impatiently for the response that would determine just how stupid this guy was or wasn't.
Common · Trigedasleng
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
A shadow swept across the cobbled escarpment as Yellowbelly made another course correction; when the sound of claws scrabbling against the stonework caught in his ears he froze and looked around, finding the approaching figure with ease. He was reminded of a similarly-built creature of the cliffs — a female cloaked in black — but he couldn't summon the name of the woman to mind in time. It wasn't them, regardless. This stranger was decidedly more masculine. His gait held a more pronounced swagger than the shifty, feral mannerisms of the wolf Yellowbelly was reminded of.

What's your business here? Questioned the stranger — and any thoughts of the long-gone Saghani were banished. The small triangles of his ears flattened against his head as he ducked in to a submissive little bow.

Sorry — I know, he took a sharp little breath and the scent of wolf was everywhere; he hadn't meant to get this close and averted his sheepish gaze from the guardian. I'm sort-of lost. I was looking for a route and — I keep getting confused. I um, I hit my head a few days ago and my memory has been kind of... Screwy. Was hopin' someone would um, recognize me. He frowns as he explains this, realizing it would put him at a disadvantage after-the-fact, and resorts to looking down at the scattered shale collected on the ledge.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
Huh. This was different, to say the least. He blinked at the word 'screwy,' stowing it away in his own personal thesaurus, and smacked his lips thoughtfully, shaking his head. Never seen you before in my life, but maybe others here have, he remarked. So you live around here? Or, uh, you think you might have lived around here?

Verx didn't really know how to deal with brain damage and memory loss. That was sort of out of his area of expertise. He should probably call for Aure or Mahler, although the latter he wasn't quite close enough to for that kind of a request, and the former. . .well, he'd just rather not, after the last few days.

What's your name? he asked, not confident that the other would remember it at all. Maybe he'd make one up. Slinky came to mind, fuck knows why.
Common · Trigedasleng
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
He wasn't met with outright hostility at his explanation and that gave him some hope. The more the stranger spoke the less and less the masked wolf felt as if he belonged — but maybe someone else would know him. —you think you might have lived around here?

I'm not --- I don't know, Yellowbelly murmured with a small frown; then when prompted, he focused his attention to the guard and answered, I think its.. Larus, but he couldn't be certain. The name fit but it also didn't. I've gotten a little better -- I mean, I kept calling myself Yellowbelly until recent, when other names sort-of popped up. Um.

He tried to think — Do you know anyone named Kaskara, or -- Saena? I think I did, once. He didn't feel like he was making any sense at this point so, he gave up and went quiet.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
God, he felt kinda bad for the dude. Actually, he totally felt bad. Imagine losing all your memories. He supposed it wouldn't be the worst thing to start over, but to try and piece together your life again? It seemed near-impossible; he commended the man for even trying.

Larus is a lot better than Yellowbelly, Verx teased. And better than anything I'd come up with for you. Kaskara? Saena? Nah. Never heard those names in my life. Sorry, bro. He'd remember a pair like that, but they were nowhere to be found in his mind.

He cocked his head. Do you, uh, want me to call for my leaders, see if they'd know anything? I've just recently moved to the mountains; I haven't been here long at all. They might be more helpful.
Common · Trigedasleng
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
This conversation was going as well as the last he could recall; Larus appeared to have been cursed with a fate worse than death - to exist without purpose or space to do so, roaming the land in a state that perpetuates his own heartbreaking loneliness. How could he hope to break this curse and recover if he could not find anyone that knew of him? That loved him? That may have even been his family? The more the guardsman spoke the less certain Larus felt; he breathed a weighted sigh and shook his head.

Maybe I should just start over. I've been from one end of these wilds to the other and nobody has the answers I need. If he did have family then they were probably all gone by now, which meant all his effort had been for nothing. I don't know how many more days I can handle hunting, sleeping, and surviving all alone -- he blurted with a forlorn look cast upon the man, but then he grew hesitant and bashful, I'm sorry for wasting your time.
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
Verx blinked as more words came, apologetic, confused. He took a step back, shaking his head. No, man, it's fine; you're not wasting my time, he said. It was kind of a lie--he could literally be doing anything else right now--but whatever. He was meant to be here, helping this weird stranger. You need a place to stay. Let me call for @Stigmata and @Mahler and see if they'll take you.

He lifted his muzzle and howled for the pair, respectful but insistent. If Larus could hold his own, hunting and protecting the borders, there was no reason he shouldn't be able to remain within Diaspora.
Common · Trigedasleng
497 Posts
Ooc — Java
Master Ranger
The man called to whoever was of higher rank, and together they would sit. It took a whille — the conversation turning a little awkward due to the disquiet between them, but unlike the swarthy guardian, Larus was at peace with the quiet. He knew his story was a strange one; all he could hope was that his memory did not fluctuate too drastically the longer he lingered here. Perhaps if he was lucky he would know someone among the ranks — or better yet, have a place available to him for a restart of his life. So he sat and waited, his mind buzzing with anticipation.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
a summerwolf at the borders amid the heavier brawn of those who already resided there; the juxtaposition amused mahler as he was called from his densite. 
so very little was he there that his shelter had begun to fall into a loathsome state of disrepair. he must take time to mend the walls, strengthen them before the heavy warm storms came.
but first, he stepped toward the slight young wolf and the imposing verx, nodding to the latter before turning his eyes upon the perhaps would-be joiner. as usual, mahler was silent, placing the onus of pleading one’s case upon the slim creature.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
Ghost
618 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Guardian
permission given by Larus's player to PP him out of the thread, since inactive

Mahler finally appeared, to Vercingetorix's relief, and he turned his two-toned eyes upon the man. This is Larus, he explained, fixing his gaze on his fellow Diasporan. He is looking for a place to stay. Says he used to live around here, but hasn't been able to find old friends. I'm sure he'd provide, in return for our shelter. Isn't that—

Right? Except it wasn't. For as Verx turned, Larus was gone, as if vanished into thin air. He had disappeared as mysteriously as he had arrived.

Brow furrowing, he scanned the rocky horizon--and perhaps saw a tawny speck, somewhere among the gray. But perhaps he was imagining it, too. Perhaps he'd imagined Larus to begin with. Oh fuck. He was actually going insane up here.

Sorry about that, Verx said with a shrug, turning back to Mahler. Uh. . .over and out, I guess.

Sheepishly, he padded away, hoping that whatever looney bin he ended up in at least had good food and better women.
Common · Trigedasleng
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
as quickly as the slinking wolf had come, he had gone, all but disappeared. mahler gave a rumble of annoyance, nodded sharply a second time to the mountain-beast, and set off to find respite elsewhere. it had not been verx's fault; some wolves were simply not worthwhile, and showed this plainly upon being sought out.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]