Lost Creek Hollow Good Omens
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Private 
@Ibis 

It took two weeks for Sarah to get over herself and stop sulking about her failed suicide attempt. Ironically the first thought that had come to her mind after she had dragged herself out of the water was So, you cannot do even this right. How low can you go?!, which was depressing for the first seven days.

On the eight, while feasting on a hare, she had revisitted that and a hint of a grin and inner amusement had reflected in her eyes and expression. Far from a genuine smile, but it was a start. It had taken another nine days for her to see a joke in the whole, rather embarrassing situation. Paraphrasing a movie quote by Jennifer Coolidge: Think about all the people, who [hang] drowned themselves. And the next morning they feel different and there is nothing they can do about it.

And then she did something she had not done in almost a year. Sarah laughed and it, while not lasting very long, it was sincere and true, coming from the depths of her heart, filling her body and mind with ease that had not been present there before. She humoured herself with the same joke over and over again, embracing, how wonderful it felt to have fun in her life again.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The concept of suicide was too adult for the innocent little girl, who had never had a dark thought cross her mind. Even with all  the turmoil of her split-up family and the various moves in her life, Ibis had never had any inkling to do harm to herself — although it was more like, the concept didn't ever enter her mind as an option. There was not telling how she might react if someone were to bring the subject to light — but as it sat, she was oblivious to the turmoil felt by the other wolf as she crossed their path. If something had happened, it was just as likely the adults were keeping such an event far away from her. Ibis had always been sheltered; although the Hollow was a very different place in her mind, she was treated much the same here. 

The girl was roaming through the territory, trying to find something new to show off to Gannet or find a toy to share with the children, when she heard something strange among the trees — the sound of laughter. It almost seemed forced, which made her pause and look around in confusion. Not wanting to be left out of any fun, she began to seek out the sound - yet it died out pretty swiftly too, and Ibis was left hunting through the woods until she spotted an unfamiliar wolf. It would be rude to merely intercept them - but Ibis didn't think about that, and sprang in to their path with a gleeful, Hello!
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Hopefully, Ibis would never have to find out, what that term really meant, nor would she have to listen to Sarah's story. It was something the older she-wolf was not entirely proud of, something others would find little humor in it, something she would keep as her own dark secret and not tell a living soul. Maybe to Gannet, when she felt ready to do so.

Now her attention was focused on the young girl, who had heard her rusty laughter, and was now coming her way with a cheerful look on her face. "Hello!" Sarah replied, surprised to find out that her voice had a hint of cordiality and that her tail gave a bit of a welcome-wag too. This was a new development too. You should take ice-cold baths more often. Another witty remark, which was not entirely funny, but amusing still. 

"You are Terance's daughter?" she guessed, because she had heard about her joining, had not cared to investigate up until now and wished to make an appearance that she had at least tried to keep up with the comings and goings of the pack.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis was more than surprised when the stranger responded with a question, and one that made her light up; any mention of her father was bound to bring a grin to her face, although a moment later her expression turned quizzical. How do you know my dad? She blurted without consideration - because she had no memory of this woman at all, and didn't consider that Terance would share the arrival of his daughter with anyone. Ibis wasn't impressive, nothing to admire, so it came as a shock that this wolf knew of her.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
The girl did not know her and Sarah was not too surprised about that, though it stung a little that Terance had not so much as mentioned her name to his kid. But she quickly reminded herself that she had hardly been on top of her social duties and had not spoken to her brother ever since joining four months prior. 

"We grew up together," she explained. "I am Sarah, his sister."
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
As she introduced herself, Ibis suddenly recalled that her father had mentioned her at another point in life - just after she'd found herself within the Hollow. She had been so enamored by the concept of grandparents that the rest of the information hadn't really sunken in to her mind, but now she recalled it easily, and smiled.

Oh! He did tell me -- I have an aunt named Sarah, but she didn't know that aunt was the term for such a relation, such intricacies didn't mesh well with her simple little mind. But she was getting better! She was growing, maturing, and learning to be better at all of this family stuff.

Um, I'm sorry, she hastily added. I spend all my time looking at pretty flowers, or playing with the babies - I forgot all about what dad told me. Do you know my mom too? Her gaze lingered upon Sarah with a little more intensity, full of curiosity about any connection that this woman might have to Seabreeze.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
"I do not think I do," Sarah shook her head. Terance had not spoken of his previous relationships, she had not pried for information either and Ibis was so unlike her brother and Treason, that she did not even care to ask, whether the latter was the mom. 

She was a little perplexed about Ibis's superficial description of her daily activities and was reminded of airhead Wraen as she had known her few years back. Had it been her past proud and arrogant self, Sarah would have scorned her even for the lack of practicality, but now she did not care at all. Her illness had made her less judgemental to people, who were different than her.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Oh. She replied. Blunt, awkward. 

Ibis wasn't sure how to handle people on her father's side of the tracks, so to speak. Everyone knew her mother and that meant everyone could be a friend to Ibis because their love of Seabreeze connected them. She wasn't comfortable with the idea that there were people - relatives even - who only knew half of her parents.

Not knowing what to say next, Ibis feels herself fall victim to the dreaded awkward silence.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Sarah's inability to keep a conversation going had put off Ibis and she felt just as awkward as the youth, though for different reasons. She found it odd that she was a close relative to this girl and that she did not feel the slightest bit of connection to her. A perfect stranger like millions of others in the world. Except that they lived in the same pack and that for the sake of Terance the estranged aunt had to make some effort. 

"I heard you want to become a messenger?" Sarah gave a hit or miss shot and hoped that this question would open Ibis up again.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The change in topic was a welcome thing; she had no idea what to say otherwise, but when the subject of her latest fixation was brought up Ibis felt more like herself — smiling, looking more alert, and answering with an emphatic, Yes!

I'm really interested in the plants and things living here and living outside the Hollow, and being a messenger would let me see it all. I also wanna go see my moms again, and my brother, and it would be perfect for all that I wanna do, she rambled with more exuberance than necessary, but she was honestly so excited at the prospect that she didn't care how silly she sounded. It was one of her special interests. I think I'd be good at it! Plus I'd get to meet new people and learn new things — and it would make my daddy happy.

Her tail was wagging like a whip behind her, the silly girl.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Sarah had just ignited the "detonating fuse" (:D) and Ibis had gone off like fireworks, managing to blast a ton of information in her poor aunt's direction and leaving her to struggle in making any sense of it. She could not put together, what plants had to do with carrying messages, and she had a distinct feeling that the girl had not cared to do a bit more research on the job she was applying for. But - perhaps - being silly and superficial was the way of youth, and Sarah, who had been old and serious the moment she had been born, did her best at being tolerant and non-judgemental. With great effort, though.

"Are you going on your own?" Sarah asked, out of curiousity and also concern that this "daisies-rainbows-and-unicorns" girl would be going out in the world on her own. She did not seem fit for that kind of challenge. The first big-bad-wolf in her way would devour her whole - cape, pies and basket included, without even asking the direction to her granny's house.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It never entered her mind that the two skills were separate; to Ibis, being a messenger meant she could travel all over the place. Travel meant she could see all kinds of places, meet all kinds of people, and most importantly see all the beautiful plants that inhabited the wilderness. She could learn as she roamed, carrying messages and serving her father too - such moments were certain to garner his attention and affection.

I don't know, she answered with a diffusing pause. I thought maybe Gannet would go with me, um, since he wants to know about healing and herbs and the places we visit might have someone with the knowledge he seeks. I'd like to help him learn if possible but - um - I dunno if I should ask him, her little ears pivoted atop her head with uncertainty and she felt warmth spread across her cheeks. I could take someone else too - dad probably wants to make sure we're safe. I barely know my way around the Hollow without getting lost. Maybe if we found someone who knew the area -- here she became lost in thought, trying to drum up an idea of who else to invite. The obvious was standing right there with her but little Ibis wasn't bright enough to notice.
435 Posts
Ooc — Me
Sarah had gained the first impression of Ibis that the girl was hardly fit to go anywhere on her own. And later on, when she would spend more time in the girl's company, that belief would only solidify. Her niece was very young, very naive, very inexperienced and basically her aunt could hand in a list of reasons, why her going on her own would not be a bad idea. 

Later on she would wonder at her sudden concern for the girl, who she had not cared for up until that first meeting. She also saw a vacancy that she could fill and having Gannet as a company made the job offer almost perfect. "I can go with you," she offered, though it sounded more like a statement of a fact of life. "And if we get lost along the way, well, it's probably better than getting lost on your own."

She waited for Ibis's opinion on the matter, though regardless of, what it was, Sarah had made a decision to tail along.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It was almost like it was meant to be; like the fates, or the authors of the characters, needed to squish them together as a little unit for future hijinks. 

At Sarah's proposal (which was more like a statement) Ibis' ears twitched, and she focused on the woman - smiling easily enough at the idea. They needed the security of another body and it would also give Ibis a chance to get to know another friendly face! It was perfect.

I would love that! I'm sure Gannet would love it too. Her tail fanned behind her. I'll go tell my dad -- or ask him, or -- figure it out with him, let him know. Oh, this was just perfect! The girl's dream of seeing the world might actually come to fruition sooner rather than later. Thank you so much for offering, she commended as she, zippy as always, began to head off to find her dad.