Ghost Lion Crag i left my home still as a child
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen was not so optimistic - Adventures were more fun than simple Hide-and-Seek (unless it was an upgraded version with monsters from Dungeon Dimensions* and an angered parent-figure lurking in the wrong places at the wrong times), but, if one had not played it as a child, it was difficult to explain the same person, when it was an adult. Find a solid argument for every "why" and "what's the point" and "it's useless".

"So - the point of the game is to create a live-action story," Wraen said and realized that this was anything, but a simple description. "You choose a character, I choose a character and we pretend to go on an adventure and each of us contribute along the way, what and who do we encounter and what we do about it," she went on. "I did this a lot, when I was a kid myself and when I helped raise my younger siblings."

*Dungeon dimensions - reference to Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
this kind of adventure was nothing like arcturus had ever heard before. wraen, for all her vivid imagination, far outclassed arcturus in the imagination department -- he looked visibly bewildered as he tried to navigate this new virtual territory.. but he was trying.

his ears rotated back, handily showing his confusion. "can i be me? or is the point to pick a character i am not?" and second question -- "am i a wolf?"
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"You can be anything you want to be," Wraen replied. "You can, of course, start simple by being you and imagining yourself in various situations. Then with training and practice you can move on to different personas," she explained, though it is quite funny from Narrator's point of view to talk about the concept to another very experienced roleplayer. 

"Kids usually go wild, adults - I have learned - play an upgraded version of this game," she went on, smiling knowingly. "What I play daily is "what if I had done this instead of this" or - I can't speak for you - but usually I am the mute one in conflicts and the best phrases and long, soulful and meaningful speeches about the matter arrive hours later. I replay them in my mind - smite my imaginary opponents - and feel better in the end."
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
for arcturus, it was easier to imagine himself in these scenarios; he had never been a child rife with imagination. he had always been pragmatic; even now, as he tried to envision these imaginary scenarios, he was still holding too tightly to reality.

he nodded along, imagining that many adults lacked the freedom of children. they had seen and endured the twists of fate, and been beaten down for it. he imagined himself as an adult too, even though he was not quite past that bridge of youth and age. "is that the point of this game, to feel better?" arcturus could not help but blurt this, yet he wanted to know the ulterior motive behind what he viewed as a game usually played by children..
send my soul away
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I never thought about it like that, but - yes - it is probably to make you feel better. Or more often to get something out of your system," Wraen replied to his inquiry, not sure, if she had managed to convince him of how amazing employment of imagination was. 

"When you are in the imagination land you have so many more freedoms than in the real world," she explained. "There are manners, etiquette, diplomacy, need to be on good terms with people you do not particularly like, but which are important. There is never really a moment, where you can let yourself go. And playing the game is one way of having that forbidden fruit."
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
considering wraen’s words for a moment, arcturus was silent. there was a great deal of temptation in letting everything go, but he was too tightly wound to simply have at it in wild abandon. 

what if he said something incriminating, or took it too far? a game was a game, but every wolf knew of its importance — and somethings were carried on forever. 

then I accept. he answered, awaiting wraen’s first move into their magic fairytale realm.
send my soul away
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Accept what?" Wraen felt slightly puzzled, so did her narrator. In a nearly six month long narrative you can lose track just as easily, if you have talked passionately about one subject moments ago. Rewind usually helps, it did now and after a brief awkward pause light-bulb above Wraen's head lit up and she was back on track.

"Well, you do not really need me to play the adult version," she told him. "Especially, if it is private matters or anything very personal," especially, if there was a theoretical chance of meeting people that were involved in person.

"Eh... tell you what - I think that we can meet up some other time and give that game a go. I have sat and talked long enough now and I would like to head home," she suggested. There was not much inspiration left now. "You will know, where to find me, or I can find you at some point," she got to her feet, stretched and was ready to leave.

Last one from me. You can conclude it in your next post and archive. Thanks!
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
<3 as always thanks for the threads!

discouraged momentarily by wraen's confusion, arcturus began to second-guess this enterprise. he had been silly to even be interested in it, he chastised himself -- this was a game, and he was an adult.

he tried to hide the disappointment, and it was gone by the time wraen stretched; he offered his own short smile. he didn't know what to say -- so for a moment hung awkwardly behind without speaking at all... but then last minute it seemed he collected his nerve, and spoke: "see you sometime!"

but the words felt hollow and lame, and arcturus returned home at a chagrined slink.
send my soul away