Swiftcurrent Creek a lot of wait and see and too many maybes
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
After being (presumably) turned away at Lost Creek Hollow, Laurel took a few days to get over the frustration and then she had to move on. They had no luck finding Merrick there, and Laurel was furious that Terance hadn't taken care of Merrick. What was worse, because she thought she had a chance to find a home for herself and her pups there, Laurel had not actually voiced most of her frustration, trying to behave cordially, and now she still had a good chunk of it seething at the back of her mind. Yet they had to move on; Laurel took @Indra, @Lucas, @Tadec and @Marten towards a pack she'd passed on her way back to Diaspora. She didn't know anything about them, but figured that it was worth a checking out. Laurel left the rest of the group nearby, though those who were interested to come were invited if they wished to join.

Though she didn't show as pregnant yet, all the signs from last year were there for Laurel. She knew for absolutely sure that she was expecting. Laurel waited at the border, with respectfully lowered posture, and lifted her nose into the air and called for the Creek's leadership.

@Kavik @Alessia
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik was digging through the cache closest to the den, picking through the collection of carcasses to find what his mate and Rosalie had requested for him to bring back. Alessia was still nursing the pups some, and Rosalie was in heat, so he gladly left them at the den to fulfill their request for food. He would much rather they didn't wander too close to the borders, most especially Rosalie. His searching was interrupted, though, by a howl from the borders. He dropped the hare that had been dangling between his jaws and lifted his head from the food store. The day before, there had been a different unfamiliar call from the borders--an expecting couple with no where else to go, and so he wondered what this stranger might need from him today. 

He trotted to the borders, slowing as he came upon the agouti woman patiently waiting for her call to be answered. Kavik stopped in front of her, dipping his head in greeting. I am Kavik, one of the alphas here, he said first. What brings you to my borders? he asked, getting right to the point as he had done with the couple the previous day; he had a family and a pack to keep safe, and so he needed to know fairly quickly whether or not whatever stranger he might find on the borders had any ill intentions.
I'm no good without you
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel's heart hammered in her chest as she saw someone approach. She had never been one to be demure or frightful at borders when searching for a home, but then again... She had always had something to offer. Now she only had things to offer in the long run, while the short term would bring nothing. Laurel decided resolutely that she would not show any of her fears and would simply tell the situation -- well, the bits that mattered, anyway -- and would tell it confidently. She might not have much to offer, but others in her party still did.

So she put on her mask and smiled at the seemingly stoic Alpha with a bright smile that hid all of the pain she had tucked so neatly underneath. I'm Laurel, she introduced. Me and my family are looking for a home -- my sister, my grown-up son. Then the bubbly smile fell off her face as she looked at him, her tone turning more serious. I'll be frank with you, Kavik. I am with child and I'm looking for a pack that will give all of my family a place, my unborn children included. I can promise you my undying loyalty in return if you help us. Her heart pounded in her chest, but she had nothing to lose from asking here. She didn't expect some stranger to give her a home in their pack where she could raise her pups... But thinking back to her own life in Bearclaw Valley, maybe if it had kept the pack from keeling over, she would have. And so it was worth a try.
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten had stayed back, just for a moment, before deciding he wanted to support his aunt laurel in this endeavor. the tension they'd had in the past didn't matter here, marten would still forever support his family. he kissed his mama and took off after the brown fae, ears flicked forwards. he approached submissively, head low and tail waving between his legs. he came a few steps behind laurel, dipping his head in respectful greeting. when attention was turned on him, assumedly, marten offered a clear response, "my name's marten. i'm good at huntin' and i want to learn to heal." marten was unsure if this had ever been something he'd shared with his family, but it was true. if marten could heal, he could help. nevermind the implication of healing that was with the body, marten also wanted to heal the mind. it seemed all the wolves he was surrounded by were broken, and he just didn't know how to help. but he'd learn.

he fell silent again, merely stating his name and offering before letting laurel take the reins -- as she always did.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He dipped his head when the woman introduced herself. She wasted none of his time with small talk or pleasantries, getting right to the point and answering his question. It seemed she and her family were in need of a place to stay, something the alpha would gladly offer given that they brought the usual skill sets with them. But then she informed him of her predicament, and the father in him wanted to offer them a safe home within his borders, the feeling deepening when the yearling came forward and attempted to vouch for his usefulness. But, the pack could not support another litter of puppies; they were already worried about being able to feed the current members of the creek once all the pups were born. There was just no way he could justify adding more strain to their resources.

I am sorry, Laurel, we are already expecting multiple litters this season, and I'm afraid we just can't support another one, he answered regretfully. There is a pack to the north, a sanctuary, maybe the would be able to offer you a place to have your children safely. They are called Elyium. He had no idea what things were like for them up there, but it was worth a try.

His gaze drifted from one stranger's face to the other. When is the last time you ate? he asked. If you're hungry, I can offer you a meal today to help you make your journey. Maybe he would feel less guilty about turning them away if he filled their bellies first. He would have to work extra to make up for the food sacrifice, but he could manage.
I'm no good without you
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
oh Marten, my heart <3

Marten appeared not long after she had voiced her question, and judging by his words he'd heard her request to the pack's Alpha, Kavik. After he had voiced his usefulness, Laurel looked pleadingly at Kavik, hoping that he would grant their request. She knew nothing about him, but he seemed like a just and calm man from what she could tell. Yet his first words immediately reminded her that it was not to be -- I am sorry -- and the rest was just a blur of excuses to her. She vaguely heard he mentioned another pack, Elysium, and she nodded numbly.

Then when he asked her when she had last ate, and offered her food, Laurel looked up at him. Eyes were wide with fear as she looked at him, brought back to the night that the man who haunted her nightmares had offered her food. N-no, she said, suddenly uncharacteristically mumbly. Yes, she was hungry and yes, she direly needed food, but she wouldn't allow herself to be caught out like that again. I'm sorry, I have to go, Laurel said suddenly and hastily. She cast Marten one brief apologetic glance and then quickly turned and ran, her tail tucked between her legs in pure and unadultered fear. She would not stop running until she reached @Indra's safety where she could collapse into her sister's arms.
120 Posts
Ooc —
marten listened with dreadful disappointment as his family was turned away, but he did not grit his teeth. he listened, calmly, until the man finished, and then watched as laurel turned and fled. he did not chase her, he knew where she'd go. he'd go the same way, to indra, but not yet.

he watched her for a moment before turning back to kavik, ears flicking. "thank you for your offer, we know you can't take up more responsibility than you can handle," he voiced to the man, in place of laurel's distraught apology. they were a broken family, and marten was not glue, but he worked his hardest to make sure the edges did not fray. even when lucas would leave. again. he didn't have much else to say, what else could he say? there was nothing, truly. but marten thought that everyone deserved a proper farewell, so he gave him one now.

"thanks, again, good luck, sir," marten offered, and then gave a solitary dip of his head and turned to go home, which was where indra was.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
His offer seemed to have the opposite effect on the woman, and confusion drew his eyebrows together as he wordlessly watched her bolt from in front of him. Only when the yearling began to speak did his gaze move from the spot where the other wolf had disappeared. His chest tightened at the boy's words, and he watched him turn to leave.

Wait-- he said. Please, at least take something to eat for you and your companion, he urged. He felt terrible turning then away, and the woman's reaction just made him feel worse. He couldn't just let them go without some kind of aid.
I'm no good without you