Arrow Lake she's a junkyard angel and she always gives me bread
73 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
All Welcome 
rip i suck. please let @Olive post first. dated, like, 04/23.

olive had been nice enough to bring a gift to swiftcurrent, even though she didn't have to, so cortez cobbled together an offering from things he found along the way that would be suitable toys for children (okay, like, a big bone and a few straggly feathers, because wolves don't have hands). miryam is kind of assuming olive had something like she brought to the other pack, so their bases were covered as they ascended the range.

diaspora's home base wasn't too high up, though, and soon they reached the border. cortez set down his meager offering and looked at olive, smiling. one down, one to go, he said encouragingly, and then lifted his muzzle in a howl, letting it ring out over the nearby lake.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
sorry sorry sorry!

With Swiftcurrent Creek taken care of, the Shakti siblings were off to Diaspora. It was only after they had left their first assignment that Olive realized she had woefully unprepared — all of her herbs had been given to Kavik, when she had intended to split it between their two stops. The herbs that came from her garden were potent, after all, and not a large amount of her medicines were needed in order to be effective. But the druid refused to turn up empty handed, so the pregnant fae coerced her brother to stop and scout for new herbs; and take a nap, and a swim in the nearby river. Then to Diaspora.

Perhaps Olive was stalling because her impending visit to Diaspora was making her nervous. The willow woman had only been here once before, to help with the birth of @Aure’s children — she hadn’t seen @Stigmata then, or since their tryst many months ago. She marveled at the sense of humor that the fates had, sending her to Diaspora — In reality, her player had specifically requested this because she loves drama — but it was probably because she was almost to term and Diaspora was their closest ally. Lily had wanted to do the gravid woman a favor, and Olive tried to be grateful, but mostly she just hoped to avoid the General if possible.

This secret would always remain a secret, if she could help it.

Looking at Cortez, she nodded her head and sat, resting her heavy and swollen belly on the earth as they waited to be acknowledges by one of Diaspora’s many guard dogs. The woman heaved a sigh, not knowing what to expect from this meeting.
and all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams
are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams
in what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

wearing my dream like a diadem in some better land.
1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
puts my grandma glasses on so i can read my timeline oof

After nursing, she’d introduced her children to new scents earlier that morning — chamomile, lavender, and such other properties that weren’t too overwhelming to start with — and since had spent the current hour on a little hike. ...Well, she meant to return to the thicket to snooze the day away, but then the call from the borders arrowed for the claim. With Vonnaruil in her stead at the thicket  ( and loathe as she was to be kept from Drago and Isi any longer )  Aurëwen rerouted her course from the foothills at once.

There’d been many passerby along Diaspora’s perimeters as of late, so the soon-to-be optio was more than readied to receive possible initiates. ...Eventually, though, the scents of Elysium petered from where an audience awaited, and the pearling eyes alit upon — ”Olive!” Aure wasn’t quite a guardian, or warriorsome maiden as some believed, but hopefully the silver’s presence would be welcomed regardless.

Her midwife was laden, heavily so, with her own bairns; and though Aurëwen wasn’t familiar with the... wait, no, she was! A triple-take brought agleam argent gaze onto Cortez, and all she could truly lend was, ”... and ze, ahm, storyteller? From ze... festivaling?” From the gauzy vestiges of memory, she now recalled the male’s face — despite having only had a few glimpses of him  ( in the times she’d wandered to hear his craft. )  ”I am Aurëwen, ah, Aure, if you would like.”

Some bashful hesitancy overcame her, and the once-skayona was unsure of who to address first. Instead, she tried a more open inquiry, sculpted head tipping modestly at the cache theyd toted along: ”May I ask what you have brought?” Were these some sort of charms? Wards, as from the mythic cradling-fables once crooned to little Rhaesuians? But Aurëwen wouldn’t assume, yet, and instead looked at the pair with full-moon, wondering eyes.
73 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
a pale woman that looked vaguely familiar approached, the familiarity of her face solidified by mention of the festival. he dipped his nose in greeting, a shy smile blooming over his muzzle. cortez, he introduced himself quietly. he glanced toward his companion. olive is my sister. we're, uh, here bearing gifts. for the new and expecting mothers here.

of which you're one, he thought, nostrils flaring as he took in the distinct sweet milk-shit scent clinging to her ivory pelt. he nudged his bundle closer to her, though very willing to help carry it toward the whelping dens, should they be allowed within the territory.

some toys, for your children, cortez explained, feeling a little self-conscious that his gifts weren't as useful or pretty as his sister's. a bone to wrestle with, and some feathers. . .soft things to cuddle. i thought i heard from someone that there was another woman or two here, with pups? or at least, pups on the way? he canted his head in gentle query, champagne eyes warm as they met aure's.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Ohh, yes! What a pleasant surprise! It was Aure who greeted the Shakti siblings, and Olive couldn’t help but express her pleasure with a joyful cry, and a rush two or three steps forward. She lifted her head high, not from dominance but from a lofty, energetic rush that threatened to have her just fly away.

She listened quietly as Aure and Cortez introduced themselves (again). It shouldn’t be a surprise — sometimes the fêtes amongst the willows were quite well-attended, and even though she was the host, some wolves would attend several parties and she still would not know them personally. Ahh, such was the life of a socialite.

Knowing that Aure herself was the intended recipient of these gifts, as well as the other mothers of Diaspora, Olive was more than pleased to pick up her little herb bundle and drop it at Aure’s feet, much like Cortez had.
“Here are some herbs, I know that you know how to use them.” she stated softly, backing away in a semi-bow. When she stood back by her brother, her eyes glimmered up at Aure — she was excited to share this next little bit.

“I also come bearing a prophecy, from the stars.” Olive said, the hint of pride in her voice not unnoticeable. She had waited every night for a week for the gods to give her a sign, a story, some sort of influence for the mothers of Diaspora, and finally, they had come through.

1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
Cortez, then, and her thin tail flickered in her personal affirmation; but her marred face went alight, like the moon peeking from the skirts of clouds, at the words gifts and new mothers. The silver immediately felt humbled to the point of declining — but, no, whatever reserves she had would be mused over later. For now, though, Aurëwen peered with interest at what was lain our before her; ears swiveling about to catch each word that was said.

Da, there are two other mothers here,” Aure stuttered, returning to Cortez in a dizzying moment. ”There is Takiyok, who gave birth to four only a few days after my own delivery. And then there is a friend, Blodreina, who is expecting.” A bone to wrestle with: Isilmë, unless one of Takiyok’s children would like it.

She wondered as to what Drago may favor, but her midwife suddenly spoke and the pale herbalist canted her head up to attention. ”A prophecy?” A few blinks were given in unfocused thought, and with several more she surrendered another apologetic smile. The pollen was getting to her. ”You mean, from your gods? What have they said?”
73 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
hopefully y'all will get a lot of use out of our gifts, then, he responded warmly, happy to hear that their allies up here had been so fertile this season. it was only good, right? it was good to have friends, in places high and low, and better yet when those friends thrived.

but. . .a prophecy? cortez turned to his sister, an intrigued smile lifting the corners of his lips. aure seemed interested as well—naturally, for it concerned her pack. olive was so good at reading the stars; he wondered what she'd found within them.

he fell silent, politely listening as his littermate carried on with whatever message had been given her.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
last from me!

Olive enjoyed this time spent with Aure — she liked the woman immensely, and saw a little of herself reflect in the woman. Perhaps it was the fact that they had stargazed together, or she was interested in prophecies. Either way, this occurrence was much more pleasurable than what might have been. 

The druid listened sweetly, glad that their gifts would be appreciated by the many mothers of Diaspora. Olive wasn’t aware that, technically, her and Takiyok shared a baby daddy — but there was an implicit sisterhood that Olive felt when it came to anyone who was, or was becoming, a mother. It made her smile. 

Well, prophecy time!
“It is all good news, of course.” she confirmed with a grin. “They have said that the earth will soon ripen and provide a safe haven for Diaspora’s many children — and that the weather will be fine, and that no immediate threats shall fall upon you.” The druid spoke in generalizations — this was the gist of their meaning, after all. “or… at least that’s what the stars would have me believe.” she finished sheepishly, looking at both Aure and Cortez for affirmation. It was nothing ground breaking, but likely nice to hear all the same.

Then, a rush of fatigue came over her. Her ears pressed against her head.
“Aure, may we come in and rest a spell?” she asked, hating the question. Though she had been within Diaspora’s borders previously, she didn’t know if she’d be welcomed again.“Traveling in this way can be so… tiring.”

1,195 Posts
Ooc —
Master Ranger
Tactician
last from me too, ly geeks <3

At Cortez’s words, the optio smiled reassuringly, for though the assemblance before her wasn’t grand by any means — it was enough, more than enough to go around, and it was the thought that mattered, right?

For Olive, her own attention was rapt, just as midwife had been upon their first encounter and even now. Both times the skayona had queried after what exactly the heather-gray sought in the stars, and both times Aure’d reconciled enough with herself to give an ear.

As it was portended: no immediate threats, and a land that flourished with both children and produce... well, she hoped such would last for a time. Even for a moment. “Let us hope ze stars find favor in those beliefs,” came a wry quip.

At Olive’s enquiry, though, the herbalist started, at once feeling the Elysian’s fatigue as an echo from moons ago. “I understand,” she relayed, an apology brimming with empathy and her own bit of late guilt for this prolonged stand. “Yes, yes, please, come in. We should carry these up —“ but Aure would flank her fellow far-seer all the same.
73 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
his ears flattened in concern as olive requested respite; he had been worried about her traveling up here, as pregnant as she was. luckily, aure seemed to be amenable to the request, and so they began to gather up the gifts and head further into the territory. cortez grabbed his own bundle and moved alongside them, looking after his sister along the way.

he wondered if the stars had anything to say about his own nieces and nephews. if they had, olive sure hadn't told him. so he was hoping that no news was good news.