Moonspear what's up danger
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 

She followed her nose, dogged in her pursuit. 

It was not Dirge she sought, but a very particular creature she aspired to find. She moved toward the lake Moonspear harbored, and upon her arrival her eyes fell upon a waterfowl resting. There were many of them, but for whatever reason she hankered after goose, and the one she looked upon was sitting pretty, grooming its feathers idly. 

Hydra salivated. Never before had she wanted something so badly, but she would have it. She shifted her weight and lowered to a crouch, prowling ever nearer with a predatory lash of her tail.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
There were surprisingly several things about Moonspear that Dirge was not familiar with. One would suspect in the time he had invested there that he would recall things like lakes and turbulent streams, but they had slipped his recollection. In truth, he spent his time mostly in lower climes, only ascending when he felt like pursuing Hydra or otherwise sequestering himself away.

This time happened to fall into the former—she may not have been purusing him today, but he was certainly trailing in her wake. The itch to wander had come back to him again, ever present like dewdrops with morning. He had stuck close primarily with her estrus, but now that it had faded, his lingering proximity was purely of his own design. Charon had not quite returned, and the mountain felt into a quiet lull again.

He saw her, stalking through the lush growth that was springing back; a snippet of darkness and predatory intent here and there. Beyond her, the narrow basin that he had scented many a time but never quite found. He hadn't even considered this part of Moonspear but in reality, who would even venture out this far or high, so close to their claim?

Quietly, he too slunk down with the growth as the rise of the terrain declined, and let the copse and its hidden treasures swallow him. He thought to call out to her as she slipped from his view but held his tongue; it was better to observe what it was that she followed, at least for now.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She was undetected, for now. At least by the bird. Hydra darted forward, and then lay in rest, well-hidden in the tall grass. Her patience showed as the bird shifted from grooming itself to resting, seemingly asleep. Hydra moved in, quite close now, but not yet close enough for it to be in her grip or to feel as though she succeeded in any way. 

Step by step, inch by inch... one paw hovered, now, just above the earth as the gap between them was bridged. If she made a wrong move, or if something else set it off the hunt might very well be lost. The Ostrega did not note her own pooling saliva, one string of which oozed past her lip to drip against the ground with what sounded, to her, like a loud thud. She licked her chops quickly, ears pricked and eyes wide as she awaited to see if she was found out—

She did not observe Dirge there. All she knew was this deep desire for the waterfowl before her, but if not this one, any goose would do. She did have half a mind to take many down... her appetite had spiked, and all she could think about the past twenty-four hours... no, forty-eight!, was the beady-eyed bird before her.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
He closed in the distance between them steadily, a jaguar in dense jungle leaves. Whatever had piqued her interest lied on the fringes of that lake, something yet that he could not see. Lake water permeated his senses; the damp earth and frail reeds were overpowering in their bloom and spread. There was more than that too, but discredited almost as fast as they crossed his senses.

Through a parting in such a scene he saw her once again, framed perfectly. It was only an instant as she continued, her body dipping low towards the incline. He closed in to mirror her and curious, but aware of why she was there now—the hunt. Waterfowl were not his specialty, but they were a delicacy all the same and he too, could not pass up the opportunity. He stepped where she had been only a minute before, pushing the dampness of the air out as he minded the slick mud and tangle of roots where the forest pushed in on the bank.

And then he saw the bird just past her through the mess of watery stalks.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The avian was still.

As she shifted her weight in her hindquarters, preparing to spring, she sensed another; an ear cupped backward to acknowledge it, to start, before her head turned and she caught Dirge within her peripheral. She was not displeased to see him; in fact, she gestured to her side. If they could attack it from either side and prevent the creature from escaping or attacking with bludgeoning wings, it would be all the easier to succeed in this endeavor.

Her eyes turned back to the bird between the reeds. She was glad to have her mate with her, and happier to hunt with him. The more teeth, the better. Lyra had gone to return Alya to their side; with all Hydra felt was to come, now more than ever she was needed. Nikai, too. To have Dirge alongside her was more than a comfort, and the act of hunting was yet another way for them to bond.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
A toothy smile crossed his features when Hydra took notice of him and beckoned him closer; he would not waste an opportunity decent if it presented itself. Shorter steps brought him to her swiftly and silently but he kept the urge to pull some sort of shenangian to himself. As tempting as it was, a water fowl was still a treat... and there would be time for shenanigans later.

He gestured with his muzzle—what now? The options were aplenty but he would let her take point on this one. Her find, her decision, simple as that. And truth be told, he couldn't have claimed to be a master of going after birds that were far more capable of gliding across water as they could sky, but perhaps she had more practice in that realm.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's own experience with avian fare was limited, but not so much so that she did not know what to do. Birds attacked with their wings, and needed them also to fly; since she had Dirge with her, she imagined they could both rip into whatever their wings were made out of to prevent that, then go for the kill. Hydra implied such with the gesture to her opposite side, maneuvering toward the right as she had indicated he go left and she lie in wait, watching her mate.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
She gestured for him to take his position and off he went, slipping into the cool waters as stealthy as he could muster. Though he could not still the ripples cast across surface tension, it did not seem to stir the goose from where it idled. If it had been disturbed then it by something on itself, as the bird craned its neck about to fuss over sleek feathers. His jaw parted with anticipation, his body low to the shallows as he lied in wait for Hydra to offer him some other signal.

When she did, the pair tore towards one another, hoping to seize the bird between eager jaws.