Sun Mote Copse Basket
Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian

Niamh hadn't kept track of exactly when she was supposed to be due- but she was well aware of the fact that she'd been overdue for days now, at least. And when the full moon passed, she found herself becoming even more agitated (more so that usual, which she didn't think was entirely possible) and when she felt the muscles in her abdomen clench in a way that made her spew profanities at such a volume and with such unbidden abruptness she thought she might've given Colt a heart attack. The sensation only lasted for so long, though, so she was willing to shrug it off, and after muttering a few more comments, she settled back down, thinking it'd just been a twinge. 

But it wasn't. The feeling happened again, some time later, and again, with more severity. It lasted longer and they began to happen more frequently until she got the picture; the pups were coming. Ever attentive and wanting to do the right thing, Colt had wanted to help- but she'd turned on him with savage snarls and snaps- not meant to hit, just intended to make a point. Once she was able to form words, she snarled a vicious "Get out," and circled a few times in their den, trying to find a way to make herself more comfortable. 

She circled this way and that way, and would pause and groan when another contraction hit. Between contractions, she would often leave the den to pace outside, refusing to make eye contact with Colt or even talk to him, only nodding when he asked questions so that he knew she was doing alright, but that she wanted to do this on her own. She was sure that her howls and yowls probably concerned him- but if he tried to poke his head into the den to check on her, he'd be met with snarls and some language that she might later regret...And the sort of language she'd have to erase from her vocabulary once the kids were born. 

And while Niamh had no idea what she was doing, her body did. So when the time was right, she settled and allowed instinct to take over. And once both pups were born- first a little, dark Colt look-alike, and then a little golden girl, she finally relaxed. Her body told her that she was done, and that these two pups- both a decent size, and quick to begin yowling until she nestled them in to suckle- were healthy and happy. She tidied them up, fussed over them and set them side-by-side against her, and uttered a soft woof, one much gentler in tone and only a few note louder than the mewling of her babes to call her mate into the den to meet his two perfect children.
"I'm a hazard to your health!"
140 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Away
You know what? It was time to get out. They had wasted enough time already, but what were a few days, right? It was like those 5 more minutes you spent in the shower even though you were already clean, ready to face the day again. And what a face she had! Squished up but aggressively adorable, Nellie was ready to be squeezed and poked and smothered for the next few months. Maybe escape that other leggy thing that floated around here too. Wait, what was that? Light at the end of the tunnel? Was she dying already? IS GOD REAL?

And then her limp little body hit the ground and she hollered, feeling that the end was near. Something poked at her, shoved her around - the judgement of something higher and more powerful than her. Apparently she was approved, because not soon after that traumatic event she was suckling on the teats of Mother. Her little paw stretched and felt the other floater, now not so floaty anymore. Darn.
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt was quiet for a majority of the time before Niamh kicked him out, trying to help as best he could while inwardly he was a bit of a nervous mess.  Yeah.  This shit was scary because he, Colt, had absolutely zero role to play in it.  Everything was on Niamh and everything could go wrong.  What if everything went wrong?

He didn't try to enter again after being exiled, but he did stay close, pacing a worried furrow in the ground beside the den.  Every sound made him tense, and a few times he instinctively went to enter, but he knew better.

Eventually, other sounds joined, but he still waited, silently bated for an indication.

When it finally came, he heaved a sigh of relief, because that meant she was fine right?  She was fine, they were fine, and fuck he was a dad.  The last part hit him in the face like a ton of bricks, and he froze for a second before swallowing and peeking inside.

Oh shit, was the first thing out of his mouth, and yeah these kids were pretty much doomed.  There wasn't a swear jar big enough.  Niamh, shit.  They were gorgeous, and he was clearly smitten from every inch of the stupid smile on his stupid face.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Bronco, on the other hand, was comfortable- until he wasn't. He'd gotten used to this other thing that moved and jostled him, and he'd do the same back to it, but for the most part, the two of them had shared their confimed space quite peacefully. It was nice, being so close, so swaddled in warmth and comfort. But all too soon that warmth and comfort became too close, and far too constricted. It happened over and over, this feeling of being moved and squeezed- but not by the other thing that had legs and paws like him....No, their landlord was the one doing the squeezing. And there was really nothing he could do but simply go with the flow- and that was to be born. 

The first peal of air into his lungs made him gasp and cough and wail, but as soon as he got used to it, it wasn't so bad. He hardly even had to think about it. He nosed about making little grunting noises, being nudged this way and that until his mewling mouth found something to latch onto- right alongside his womb-buddy, where he fell quiet. He was safe and warm and secure- and quieted when he got his first meal.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh waited- tired but proud- while Colt stepped into the den, momentarily blocking out the light. When she saw his facial features, his eyes were shining, and he was grinning from ear to ear. He remained at some distance, which was appreciated- had he drawn too close she might have snapped at him simply out of instinct. But those were instincts she'd have to learn to keep at bay. So she gestured for him to come closer, and would be glad to have his touch for reassurance. 

And the first thing he did- aside from smile- was swear. Niamh rolled her eyes. "Language," She hissed quietly, but smiled afterwards. "But you're right. Come closer, come see them," She invited warmly, smiling down at the two perfect little creatures they'd made together.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
im gonna skip buuuut lemme know if that's an issue and feel free to interject cute potato antics at will

Colt only came closer when invited, and he stepped carefully around, settling himself at Niamh's back and keeping back still from the pups.  They were tiny as fuck and he was hesitant to interact.  Admiring was way better right now.  He pressed his muzzle to Niamh's neck and gave a long, appreciative rumble.  Nice job mom, he said, staring at her a long moment before looking back.

They were perfection.  One was obviously going to be a looker because he was the spitting image of his old man, and the other stunner looked almost exactly like Niamh.  Except that perfect mark, the family trademark, in a darker gold down her spine.  We'll have to keep an eye on that one, she looks like trouble.  He joked softly.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
I'm cool with no posting order- just flail and post whenever everyone wants?

Niamh smiled softly, though she wasn't sure whether it was because she was too tired to be cranky or upset anymore, or if she was actually happy. Looking at her two kids, and feeling the way that Colt looked at her, though...She was fairly certain that she'd finally rediscovered what it was like to be happy. Plus she was relieved- they had two perfect children, healthy as could be, and she'd survived the whole ordeal. The worst, she thought, was over, so she could now relax and just bask in the wonder of the moment. 

Colt mentioned the little blonde girl, and Niamh snorted. Was he suggesting that any wolf that looked like her would be trouble? She was tired, but she was still sharp enough to make a retort. "It's the dorsal stripe." She said, and cast a glance his way. In the end, both of their children would be trouble, she figured. It came from both sides of the family- but hopefully just the good kind of trouble. She smoothed the fur along the boy's back. "I think he has one too. Kind of hard to tell, where he's so dark." She said. The faint blonde hue around his cheeks and belly reminded her of Ambrose, though- and she wondered if he'd grow golden fur around his shoulders too. 

She leaned back, and looked down at the fuzzy pups suckling at her side, before she looked to Colt. "So, what're we going to name these little guys?" She asked. Several names had been discussed- now came the task of picking out the ones they liked best.
"I'm a hazard to your health!"
140 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Away
Damn right she was trouble. She didn't know where the tunnel had led to, but this place was less comfortable than the other side. Mother's fur tickled her nose and made her forehead all itchy. The grub was nice though, she had nothing to complain about in that regard. She didn't even really have to fight for it, despite her brother. Some day she would feel lucky about just having to deal with one sibling.

With a small peep did she stretch her jaws in a big yawn, displaying two toothless rows of gum and a small salmon tongue. She snuggled her blonde head into Mother's fur, pulled up her stumpy legs and drifted into a deep slumber while Mother and Father decided what to name her and the other potato.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Maybe she was tired - she certainly looked it, though he knew that particular observation would earn him a snap - but her retort made him feel better.  A sense of humor meant she was at least feeling okay, and nothing bad had followed.  

Probably right, he allowed, with a grin back.  He was damn proud of their family's reputation and the fact that he'd brought two more hell raisers into the world (well, done a very small part) was magnificent.

Shit, names.  We could do the family tradition.  Name one sneezebongin and the other tigglefaggle but give them useable names like duck and stick.  He said, eyes glittering with mischief.  Okay, okay, actual suggestion.  You liked horses, right?  I liked Bronco.  It was a hell of a lot better than Nag.  No fuckin way he was naming a poor kid that.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
With the pups warm and content against her side, and her mate by hers, Niamh felt comfortable at last- or, at least, as comfortable as one could feel so soon after giving birth. The little blonde girl yawned and snuggled against her, and Niamh smiled fondly at the little beauty. Part of her ego was inflated in knowing she'd had a baby girl that looked just like her- she'd hoped that she'd have a little mini-me. 

Colt joked about the Blackthorn trait of first names and nicknames and she chuckled. She might have commented, but he continued, and brought up a name that had probably had the most potential, out of all the ones that fell within the equine naming scheme. She looked down at the dark-furred little boy at her side and chuckled. "I like that too. I really like the name Nag. I mean, Bronco," She teased lightly, and ran her tongue over the dark dorsal stripe the boy had, which made him wiggle slightly, worming his way deeper into her belly fur. "Bronco Blackthorn has a nice sound to it," She said.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
The boy could neither see nor hear, but he could feel- and his instincts told him to stay warm and to fill his belly. He was quite content to stay right where he was, by his mother’s side, while his parents talked over both him and his sister. He could feel the gentle vibrations of his mother’s voice through her side, and found it comforting.

He released his tiby mouth’s grip on his mother just after she’d spoken- long enough to emit a cute but wet burp, almost perfectly timed in response to the name she’d spoken. Content, and with a bit less gas in his belly, he nuzzled back against his sister and heaved a sigh.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He shook his head but laughed as she joked one more time about the name Nag. Imagine the jokes.... just imagine.  Hell, Colt would be making a lot of them.  Have some mercy on him at least. He didn't have nearly the self control for that.

It does, he said, grateful once again he'd finally pulled his shit together and done right by her.  It might have taken a while, and maybe it hadn't been how she deserved, but they were officially paired up once more.  This was how it should have been the first time, and he was determined to play it right this time around.  Even if life was doomed to get a little.... hectic... a few days from now.

And the mini-mom? he asked, unknowingly echoing Niamh's own inner thoughts.  He hadn't ever... really thought he'd have a daughter, and the prospect kinda... floored him.  He had no idea what kinda a name to give that to.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Like Colt, Niamh had been more prepared to have a batch of boys, but one name had come to her- tossed her way by her brother who no longer seemed to remember her- but it had stuck not simply because Ambrose Firefly had spoken it, but because of how close it was to another name she knew would mean a lot to Colt. It made her nervous to suggest it, so she balked for a moment, and bit her lip. The boy had burped his approval of his name, now they needed something to suit the little one who looked so much like her. (God help them both.)

"I thought..." She said, and halted. She didn't want to hurt his feelings with her suggestion, so she tilted her ears back and looked up to gauge his reaction- as she wanted his honest opinion. She knew he'd make the connection immediately, and she wanted to be able to retract the suggestion as quickly as possible if necessary. "What about Nellie?"
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
She seemed suddenly nervous, and he wondered why, smiling unsuspectingly.  He wouldn't make fun of any names she gave unless they were obviously terrible.

It took him a moment to recognize the meaning of what she said, but when he did, he was shocked into silence for a second.  He opened his mouth to respond instinctively, then closed it, and his look turned thoughtful.

God it was a mix.  Was it weird to name her that?  Niamh had suggested it, and... he liked it.  The idea that maybe a piece of that goodness would follow and watch over his daughter, and that she would live on, even if only in memory and by name.  It was a fucking touching thought, and he had to take another second to reply.

Are... you sure? he asked, but it was clear he wasn't bothered.  The opposite.  There was a tightness behind the question... caught emotion, stuff that he was way too macho a dude to express.   But also stuff that might express itself before too long because shit that was a good name.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
As soon as she'd said it, she wondered if he would shut the idea down completely- if it simply evoked too many hurtful memories of losing Nell. But from the way his eyes shone- was he going to cry?- and the way he was obviously trying to hold back a touched, beaming smile, she could tell right away that he wasn't disappointed or hurt, but flattered. She nodded, and allowed herself to soften for a moment. "Very sure." She said warmly. 

She looked down at her two precious little babes, nestled amongst the soft beige fur of her side, where they contentedly burrowed into her warmth. She shrugged one shoulder, and a glimpse of her usual sense of humour emerged. "I mean, with the potential for a whole bunch of 'woah Nellie' moments, how could we not call her that?"
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Hell yes he was going to cry.  Having her here, seeing their gorgeous kids for the first time, then that fucking name. He was definitely not dry eyed as he embraced her, and his voice was hoarse as he responded with It's perfect.

Thankfully Niamh was also perfect, because as soon as shit got heavy, she was at it with the jokes.  He laughed, settling back into middle emotional ground as he looked at them both again.  Nellie and Bronco.  Something tells me you'll get the chance to exercise that particular phrase a bit.  He hoped so.  He hoped they were wild and messy and full of fun, just like he and Frog had been.  Well, maybe not exactly.  He didn't want to go silver quite yet.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Just gonna tidy this up and tuck it away s we're a bit more up to date :) <3

She was immensely relieved that Colt wasn't offended or sensitive to the fact that she'd come up with a name that was influenced by the name of his deceased mate. Nellie, she thought, was a perfect name- and Bronco seemed to suit the little lad very well. She placed her head on her paws, succumbing now to the tiredness that finally crept up on her after having given birth. She chuckled softly at Colt's remark, and softly murmured "They'll be wonderful," Before she slipped into a peaceful slumber, her brand new little family by her side.