Moonspear Burn it all away
Ghost
"God is every bit as feral as that which he creates."
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
His tasks were complete, and Charon had signed off - in a way - to raising Revui to the rank he believed he was owed. From that point on the boy would carry himself with some heft, his large body seemingly to grow larger within moments as he took up a swagger and a confidence. His tail was raised behind his body even when there was nobody to boast to, or lord over. Soon he was scouting the territory and hunting for his brother, wanting to show off to @Arcturus just how successful he had become. Father deemed him worthy to stand beside Hydra! Revui felt powerful, and wanted to let the whole of Moonspear bare witness.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus was not aware of the tasks set forth by charon, but he did notice the new swagger to revui’s already usual cocksure gait. interpreting his brother’s posture as some unshared good news, the dark boy rolled alongside his brother with a sniff of his black muzzle — for why was he so full of energy? what news did he bring that could scarcely be concealed?
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Before long he is found out, as he wishes. It pleases him to turn and meet the roving eyes of his brother; as Arcturus investigates with probes of his snout Revui fans his tail, keeping his chin higher than his brother's head with pompous certainty. He does not need a question to be asked, he knows what his brother is after, and Revui is more than willing to share.

He struts a few more paces and turns to face his brother. Father has named me beta beside our sister! Revui is often impassive, perhaps even considerably more stoic than this precise moment, but he cannot help the elation in his tone or the great desire to flaunt his new title before his beloved brother. To be ranked alongside his idol—their idol—was certainly a change worth celebrating!
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
there is a new confidence to the boy; arcturus marveled as revui swept past, the picturesque form of stately importance. he barely noticed the heightened headset, or the authoritative sweep of the leviathan's tail -- his sights and breath were held on revui, anticipatory as he awaited the news.

father has named me beta, revui exclaimed -- and the first reaction arcturus feels is a sense of pride, of second-hand accomplishment. to be named alongside the dark hellion that was hydra, as not a secondary but an equal -- well, there was no higher testament of good standing. arcturus' eyes lit up as he looked his brother up and down approvingly -- revui, beta..

wait. what the fuck?

beta?

what about me?

arcturus felt a sudden sting of jealousy, and felt horrendous for it. what kind of piece of shit brother, feels jealous of his beloved sibling's accomplishments? his green heart writhed, and a sense of self-loathing overcame arcturus. he was not the supportive brother he wished to be if that ugly, nasty thought wove its way into his mind.

pushing aside that creep creep creeping thought, arcturus swallowed and warmth returned to his gaze. "congratulations." thank god he had never been loquacious, because he suddenly was at loss for words. if revui deserved it, so did he -- why hadn't his father come to him too? arcturus felt a crinkling of jealousy return and smothered it with a casual blink of his sunny eyes. "how did that come to be?"
send my soul away
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
This moment had been on his mind for months, perhaps longer. He had wanted so much out of his life and had acquired exactly what he had set his mind upon—which begged a deeper question: what's next? Revui would have to adapt to his new role swiftly and prove that he was a worthwhile choice. He was adamant about his ability and would not allow himself any leniency, for that was where failure potentially loomed.

Arcturus was elated, as he should be. His surprise was overshadowed by something else which Revui thought to be pride, but there was another emotion there—one he did not have the acuity to discern, and so he would let slide. His first small mistake was to boast to openly to his kin; both brothers were fine examples of Moonspear's blood and pined in equal measure for Hydra's praise, and father's too. It did not occur to Revui to be sympathetic to the brother who had, essentially, been left behind.

How did that come to be? Arcturus asked once he finished fawning over his wonderful brother.

Revui chuffed, rolling his shoulder as if his exploits were not so difficult. Father told me to study with Speedy. After that, I was to find Yami, but he paused, perhaps because mentioning his sister was like jabbing an iron poker in to a fresh wound, perhaps because he did not want to include that his littermate was one such task—to return them to friendship. So, he left that out for the betterment of both of them. And even though she left us, he was proud of me. Knew I was worthy.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus listened with a cant of his head, his features even despite the inner inferno that raged within. he felt a burning sense of shame, a furious sense of abandonment -- he was good too, right?

revui was rightfully elated and proud of his accomplishments, and guilt washed arcturus anew as he realized he had been so focused on his own betrayal by his father, that he hadn't truly paid attention to what his brother had said. his voice was becoming fuzzy, his vision blurry - somewhere something loud and infectious droned on at a dull and seething roar...

"what?" arcturus asked absently, not giving revui a chance to respond before speaking again. the words had trickled in, belated and twisted. "oh. yeah.. you deserve it."
send my soul away
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
He was full of selfish pride and would not notice as Arcturus faltered; Revui knew that his brother was always going to be on his side, proud of him as he was proud of others who shared the blood. Although he sounded a tad distracted, Revui was not nuanced in speech as much as he would've liked—so he did not notice the delay or the fading of Arcturus' good cheer.

One day mom and dad will be gone, Revui suddenly trailed off with an oddly up-beat lilt, and Hydra will take their place, as is right. Then you can join me. We can protect the mountain together. With a hasty shoulder-to-shoulder jab, Revui hoped to spur more enthusiasm from his brother despite the grim concept of the future, and all the changes that may entail.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus swam in the sea of his own confusion, distracted as he mulled over how this could have possibly happened. revui was but a distant presence; it wasn’t even until his brother’s rough shoulder jab that arcturus was pulled from his thoughts.

he felt this feeling, whatever it was, was toxic— revui did not deserve his jealousy. he deserved only arcturus’ support. it was not his fault that his brother had been overlooked — arcturus reminded himself of this over, and over, until it was a dull mantra echoing in his mind. 

he needed to get away. to think alone. to process all of this. choked, arcturus gave a halfhearted smile, the composure just about to crack. we should celebrate. i will find a meal. 

he had no intention of hunting, but he needed an out. selfishly he hoped his brother would take the bait, and remain unaware of arcturus’ inner conflict.
send my soul away
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
His blustering and attempted (rough) affection did not cause the reaction Revui anticipated. When his brother decreed he would find them a meal to share and use in celebration it took a moment for Revui to understand, but he was always a glutton, and pleased at the thought of food. He grinned toothily and nodded. 

Go! I have others to tell, but I will find you. We will celebrate brother! It is a good day! With this statement he would give Arcturus a moment to escape; his next thought was to find Hydra or maybe even Mother, as if they had no idea of his ascension. It seemed like - at least in this moment - Revui's pride and self image overpowered his usual hungers.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
<3

revui had not seen the brewing conflict in arcturus’ disposition, an oversight the dark boy was grateful for as he slipped off. he felt evil, positively slimy, for feeling this way — but it was not revui arcturus resented.. it was his parents. 

he gave his brother one last encouraging glance before he stepped off at a lofty trot, eager to put distance between them so he could think. once he was alone he would decide what to do, but for now he fled his brother’s company in search of quiet solace to process what he had just learned.
send my soul away