Flycatcher Downs but i'm being so unreasonable.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Leaving her kids behind had been much harder than she'd thought it would be, and not just because her newest brood had literally made it difficult for her with their tears and their tantrums (spirited little tykes!). Her older children had kept far better composure (of course), though Liffey had been sad to leave them as well. Their confidence had been a comfort, but that had lasted about as far as the borders, at which point Liffey's feet had gone cold and she'd nearly turned them back around. But she resisted the urge, knowing that she and her mate needed this trip together. And more than that, she needed this time away from the Hollow to clear her head of all the pollution that had begun to cloud it.

The good news is, the further away they got, the more comfortable she became. Liffey had forgotten how good it was to travel, how free and happy it made her feel. She took in a deep breath of open air in the field they were currently traversing, stopping to give herself a moment to really absorb it. The midday sun was warm on her skin, the breeze was light in her fur and the air was sweet with the scent of wildflowers. It was an idyllic moment, made even more so by the face she saw when she opened her eyes again.

"I forgot how wonderful it is to get out and see the world," Liffey commented as she started to walk again, "The world seems so small and suffocating sometimes. It's good to remember just how big it really is, and that we're actually the ones that are small." She glanced over at @Rannoch to see how he felt about it.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Like Liffey, Rannoch hadn't anticipated how difficult leaving their children would be. He hadn't been entirely sure exactly what to expect, but it was far worse than he had ever considered. Rannoch and Liffey's news had been greeted by their four youngest, their eyes round and tear-filled; his heart had broken almost instantaneously. Deshyr and Breccan, on the other hand, had handled the unexpected departure with grace—he was impressed by how they had handled themselves."You'll do great," he had assured their eldest children before leaving. 

Rannoch's paws dragged as they left Lost Creek Hollow, and he did his best to push them away from the forefront of his mind. Every-so-often, he glanced over his shoulders to see if any of the children (read: Sionnach) had managed to follow them. But as time went on, and the distance between them and their family increased, Rannoch's apprehension began to fade. 

"Yeah," Rannoch agreed, his gaze regarding their surroundings; the downs were in their prime. "We get so caught up in the day-to-day that we forget about all of this." It was a marvelous feeling to feel small again. "It seems to go on forever, doesn't it?" despite what he knew was true, he felt as though they could lose themselves in the expanse.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey's tail wagged gently as she looked around. There was really nothing special about the landscape--it was a big field with some flowers here, some bushes there, and a couple of little trees dotting the area to give it some volume. At another time, it might've felt barren and lonely. But considering how she'd felt about her life recently, it was the fact that it was so large and so empty that made it actually feel open and liberating to her.

She smiled at her mate, considering his comment. "For all we know, it does," she commented with a little shrug, "I certainly haven't explored the whole area before. What if it really does go on forever in one direction? That's the exciting thing about it--you never really know unless you go all the way." Which was not what she planned to do on this particular trip, but the possibility of it was exciting nonetheless.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"You know, I didn't even consider that as a possibility," Rannoch stated in reply to Liffey's input. "But you're right... it really could go on forever." The thought made him feel even smaller than he had before—it was oddly humbling. 

"What do you think is out there?" he asked, figuring she might have a better idea of what could be out there.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey had always had quite an imagination. Ever since she was a child, her mind had been far, far bigger than she was. But she had also always had her father's logic to temper it. She didn't always call on that part of her to draw herself back, but she did now with a still present smile. "Probably more land, different territories. Forests, streams, valleys and mountains," she said, turning back to him with a wag of her tail, "Nothing really goes on forever."
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Liffey's interpretation turned out to be more realistic than Rannoch had anticipated. "True, true," he answered; she was probably right. 

"How far have you traveled here?" Rannoch wondered a moment later. "I haven't been too far myself—I've only come here with Breccan and Deshyr to track herds. But we've never gone too far away from the hollow."
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey considered his question for a moment before answering. In truth, she hadn't spent much time exploring the areas around the Hollow since they had arrived. Prior to that, she had never been this far East past Sunspire. "I've never been this far South," she commented, "Or East, for that matter. I've mostly explored the areas West of here, around the Caldera."

She slowed her commentary once again as another line came to her head. She considered tucking it away for a moment, but looked at her mate and decided not to keep anything back. "I've always wanted to go further, though," she mentioned, meaning nothing by it but a bit worried that he might think she did.

*caaaaaaaaasually edits the stupidity she apparently wrote earlier here*
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
As Liffey answered, Rannoch realized that she hadn't as much time as she once had to explore. Things had changed, namely the birth of their family, and this had hindered her ability to travel. He frowned, realizing that she had given up much more than he had previously considered. 

Liffey elaborated further on her desires, and Rannoch got the point. "You should," he encouraged. "The kids are getting older... and I have Breccan and Deshyr to help me if you were gone." Rannoch hesitated for a moment, realizing that he also couldn't keep anything from her. 

"I just wish there was a way we could explore together."
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey had known Rannoch would be sensitive about her comment. She probably ought to have prefaced it better, but it was there now and she could only put the pieces back together. She moved to do so with a gentle smile, closing the distance between them and nuzzling her snout against his jawline.

"We can always have little getaways like this, I think," she murmured as she snaked her neck around his, "And that's enough for me, really. I wouldn't trade you and the kids for anything in this world." Though she would certainly like to have both in her life.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
They could have their getaways, but a part of Rannoch was concerned that it wouldn't be enough for satiate Liffey's need for adventure. Even with her reassurance, he had his doubts. 

It was only as Liffey pulled him into an embrace that Rannoch felt his self-doubt to subside. It was apparent that she loved him and their family, and she deserved more credit in regards to her word. "Well, we should take more time to explore," he replied, pressing closer to her. "I'd like to take the younger kids exploring when they're older."
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey couldn't help but laugh a bit at his latter statement. "Knowing them, we won't have a choice," she quipped, pulling away so she could start them forward again. They did have a lot of ground to cover, and there was a lot of space for them to run and discover yet. "I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sionnach was sitting there waiting for us at the Plateau," she added with a grin, "Speaking of which..."

She wagged her tail and gave him a little woof as an invitation to follow before taking off at a gallop, enticing him into a game of chase that would take them through the downs and well on their way to her parents.
~•~