Altar of Twilight Without a Trace
12 Posts
Ooc — Mai
All Welcome 
Open to anyone!

A new face was in the Wilds. None knew him...not yet. He intended to change that, all in due time. Yanna wasn't a wolf suited for drifting from place to place. Born and bred a warrior, he needed purpose in his life. A sense of duty...something to be proud of. He could extend his talent further, offering his services towards a new pack. Or, he could bide his time, choosing instead to refine his skills. He wanted to be of use, yes. But Yanna did not offer his allegiance easily,or freely.

Before him, hundreds of feet below, sprawled the valley. His perch of choice was a tall, vertical slab of rock. Carved into the face of the mountain, he had found a flattened look out point upon which to rest. He stood still, gazing down with cool yellow eyes into the emptiness below, searching for signs of life. There was no emotion in his gaze...no frown or smile etched upon his maw. Just hollow indifference, while behind that mask, the wheels of his head turned, one gear at a time.[/ooc]
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The king departed his mountain for a quick stroll in the fields below. He moved through the firefly glen first, his favourite place to be apart from Moonspear itself. Then moved into the altar. He moved in an outstretched trot -- in a way, proof to himself that he was still strong despite age and despite the many scars that littered his fur. Many thoughts had passed of recently, with seeing old faces and making new friends, and facing the troubles back home with his mate who so far seemed to refuse nature's desires; or perhaps simply no longer felt them.

So lost in thought was the Alpha that he didn't notice another perched upon the small plateau at first. Only when he was closer did he notice another; first by scent. Then, he halted in his tracks and gaze followed nose as he looked up at the stranger. Someone who seemed lost in thought, too, or perhaps was simply of the stoic sort.
12 Posts
Ooc — Mai
His emotionless yellow eyes traced over every detail of the landscape below. How the tree line was formed and where the open areas lay. Where there were signs of tracks, if any at all. Or if the snow had even been disturbed in the slightest. What he didn't see was life.

Until movement out of his peripheral vision caught his eye. The stark white fur belonged not to an arctic hare or a fox, but of another fellow wolf. Slowly, Yanna turned, as if not taken by surprise in the least. It was really just his natural reaction to most things, except when it came to battle. With his profound lack of humor, his demeanor came with the tendency never to get too worked up. Rarely, would he show outright enthusiasm in any form. He appraised the other, tracing his eyes over the network of scars all the way to his mismatched eyes. "Good evening." He offered simply, with a tip of his chin.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It seemed he was the only one caught unaware; the stranger turned to look at him with a look as if he'd seen Charon all along. The altar felt like home so much that he sometimes did not pay as much attention as he should, Charon realised then.

A polite greeting followed, to which Charon nodded and returned, Evening. Then, after a short moment of silence, Out for stargazing? As that was what he at times came here for. The altar was a good place for that, he had to admit. Charon did not instantly recognise a scent of pack on the other -- not one he recognised, anyway.
12 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Facing the stranger fully, Yanna shook his large head. "No, not exactly." He glanced away only for a heart beat to observe the great sprawl of land far below them. "Just familiarizing myself. Analyzing the terrain." He offered no further explanation than that. It should be sufficient enough for the pale wolf to deduce that he was new to Teekon.

"Though it is a clear night. Easier to navigate." He commented, but without the slightest hint of whimsy in his voice. Yanna didn't daydream. Didn't ponder over great mysteries and lore, of what-ifs. He was a grounded wolf, taking what he saw at face value. Bluntly, he tossed the other a note of judgement. Or a compliment, if you wanted to call it that. "Your scars...impressive." He rumbled, blank eyes fixed on the males face.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It was a little disappointing the stranger wasn't out stargazing, but Charon didn't verbalise that. He listened as the guy mentioned that he was out analysing the terrain, and nodded. Where do you live? he asked, curious if he was from a nearby pack or if perhaps he was new to the area, that he was eager to analyse the terrain. The Terrace was a place that Charon held dear to his heart, just like the Firefly Glen, because it was so near to Moonspear, so he wanted to know who was so interested in it.

At the mention of his scars, Charon looked surprised for a split second before turning his face back to a neutral disposition. He'd never considered his scars to be impressive or anything besides reminders of moments he had been thwarted by others, win or lose. Yet when he was a child, he also thought scars were 'cool'. He supposed that scars were mostly cool until you had enough to wear you down yourself. His lacking eye got in the way more than he cared to admit.

In response he simply smiled lightly and said: Thank you. I am a warrior at heart. I'm Charon Ostrega, Alpha of Moonspear. He gestured towards Moonspear over his shoulder, a proud smile on his face.
12 Posts
Ooc — Mai
"Far from here. Called Strikestone." Was all he offered. Not a description or an exact location. Yanna had left his birthplace as others had before him, wishing to aspire to something greater. To unleash his hidden potential out in other corners of the wild.

He dipped his chin down ever so slightly, a gesture of respect. "A fellow warrior huh? That lifestyle is all I know. It suits me." He was happiest in that role. Fighting, sparring, defending those worthy. The thought of taking up the role of mercenary even crossed his mind a few times, should he ever find the right pack. "They say scars are like medals, Charon. Each has it's story." He said with a knowing tone. Sadly, he had yet to attain any of his own. His pale eyes flicked over the others shoulder, in the direction of his home. "Your home has an incredible view. But I am more interested in the pack itself. What are you like?"
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It didn't really matter, Charon supposed, so long as it was far from here. Only locations nearby really made a difference, and so the place of Strikestone was easily dismissed in his mind.

It seemed that there was a fellow warrior facing him now. What Charon liked most about that was that this man seemed relaxed, not like some of the 'warriors' that he had met who were more like beasts needing to prove their strength around every corner. This man seemed simply proud of himself, and better yet, flattering towards Charon, which lead to the Alpha easily taking a liking to him. The only thing that irked Charon somewhat was that he'd never given his name, but maybe he had forgotten. What's your name? he asked easily enough, and whatever irkiness he had found was easily melted again in the flattery of his home. The view was incredible, indeed.

The pack has always been centered around me and my mate's family. We've raised three litters together on the mountain. Right now things were rocky... But Charon certainly hoped to add a fourth litter this year. We're a pack of warriors and naturalists, protective of our home and pack first of all and with an interest for the stars and the lands. And we have some healers. The most important thing is that respect needs to be gained, not given away freely. All in all the balance in their numbers had always been clear, but then again, even without healers present it had never been problematic; even without healers Charon had healed wounds multiple times, so he did not put that much stuck into it. They eased the process and helped prevent scars, but like this guy said, scars were also badges of honour.
12 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Yanna's brows shot up in mild surprise when asked for his name, his stoic expression breaking momentarily. Oh how impolite of him! This was no way to make a good first impression. He shook his head at his own forgetfulness, ears flicking back. "Ah, apologies. I seem to have forgotten myself. I am Yanna." He offered freely, with nothing to hide. He was an honest wolf. Lies and deception were below him.

Intently he listened, pale yellow optics focused on the mountain Alpha before him. The intrigue in his eyes was clear. The corners of his lips almost turned up to form a smile. Mentally he ticked off the boxes in his head. Well established and family centered. Warriors at heart, like him. And their respect had to be earned, not handed out. Much like his own, but Yanna was never one to spit in the face of authority. He knew strength when he saw it, and thus his own measure of respect would come naturally. He couldn't say he had much of an interest in the star watching and more nature oriented aspect, but he liked what he heard. "You must be proud." He said finally. "I admire those qualities in a pack. Respect..." He emphasized the word. "...is a foundation. Without it, there is no order." He sighed softly, but not in a regrettable way. "It is early yet, but I hope to find a pack in which I can offer my services. Grow as a warrior." Charon could take it as he may. Yanna was not yet ready to make any commitments, but at the very least, the alpha of Moonspear had offered him some very helpful insight.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Yanna. The name seemed feminine to Charon, but he paid it little mind. Maybe this wolf was from a different culture, with different names; he'd heard it before. Charon smiled proudly as Yanna said he must be proud -- he was, very clearly so -- and found it good to hear that he valued the qualities in a pack. Honestly, though winter had ended and things were good now, they could really use some more able bodies. Loyal wolves...

Charon nodded as Yanna said that he might look for such a pack. Early yet? You want to explore the region more before settling someplace, or do you have other business? he wondered aloud.
12 Posts
Ooc — Mai
He shook his head, proceeding to clarify for Charon. "No, no other business." He adjusted his stance to stand a little taller, but by no means to impose or insult the Mountain King. "I want to scout out the other packs first. To make absolutely sure which will be the best fit for me." The glint in his pale eyes was serious. "A pack that coddles will only hinder my growth. I don't need to be sheltered...I need to be tested." He stated with a fixing of his jaw.

Yanna took his role as a warrior in training very seriously indeed. Looking upon Charon and hearing of just a fraction of the history of his family, he could only imagine what his children were like. He was curious. Curious enough to do well to keep Charon's name in mind, and the location of his pack. Should he come this way again, perhaps he would pay them a visit.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon couldn't help but grin when Yanna said that he wanted to be tested. He decided not to push him on this matter, as his opinion was very double-edged here; on the one hand, Charon understood and knew he would find such things at Moonspear, but also Charon wondered if he could handle being a part of Moonspear. They were so focussed on family, even just fitting in was a challenge lately it seemed. It was truly a much bigger climb up than for any family member of theirs.

Good luck with your path, Charon said eventually. He wouldn't mind having another warrior to their ranks but he wasn't about to grovel for it in any way. It was unbefitting of a king. Then he nodded and continued his way again, about ready to finish his stroll and return home to the mountain.