Neverwinter Forest after the storm
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
All Welcome 
Note: This thread takes place on 06/05/19. 
Attn: @Liffey, @Deshyr, @Breccan, @Wisteria (???), @Aengus, @Sionnach, @Tiarnach, and @Eshe.

"We'll stay here for the night," Rannoch announced to the gathering, his exhaustion evident. "We're safe here," he assured them, "This is where I grew up, and I wanted you guys to get to see it." Once they resided in the hinterlands, he didn't foresee their return to this part of the wilds. Somehow, they had stumbled across a vacant, sizeable den, and Rannoch had taken the discovery as an indication that it was time to rest. 

The sun had set hours prior, and it was way past the children's bedtime. "I think it's about time for bed," Rannoch announced to his youngest; they had found dinner once they had entered the forest, and had eaten before looking for their lodging. Then, to lift their spirits a bit, he added, "I know I'm sure ready to go to sleep." If interrupted, Rannoch felt as though he could sleep for days—especially since he had volunteered to carry his heaviest child, Aengus. Rannoch turned his attention to his wife and eldest children then, wondering how they were faring since they had also been tasked with carrying a child.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
When they'd left the Hollow, all Liffey could think about was getting her kids to safety as soon as possible and then getting as far away from their former pack as they could. Once they had put a comfortable amount of distance between them, she had realized just how exhausting it was to make this trip so soon after having just made it. Especially when this time, her mouth was full of fidgety, grumpy (I presume) puppy. She was grateful for every chance they had at taking a break, though she couldn't fully consider them breaks at all. At least not when she was so concerned her youngest and fiestiest pups were going to try and make a break for it.

Liffey settled onto her stomach wearily as Rannoch declared this to be their resting place for the night. She felt as though she could fall asleep in seconds and stay that way for a whole week if she allowed it of herself. But she knew her oldest kids were likely just as tired as she was, and they deserved the rest for more. It had not been their choice to uproot their lives. That had been hers, and she was feeling awful mixed up about it just then.
55 Posts
Ooc —
When the group left Lost Creek Hollow, a black-backed specter began to follow. Wisteria had not recognized her brother Breccan that day thanks to the simplistic nature of his pelt, but Rannoch and Liffey were unmistakable. She watched as they departed, curious and nervous and suspicious, and when they were just beyond the horizon, she rose on bony legs. She kept her distance, moving slower to accommodate her starving body and lower energy levels, and used their collective scents to guide her.

Days later, when her family entered Neverwinter Forest, Wisteria peeled away at the edge of the trees and found a place of her own to rest: an old abandoned den hidden in fallen pine needles. She smelled their kill when they made it but knew she could not contest that many wolves for a piece. Though her belly had long since ceased growling, hunger pangs were like bricks slamming into her gut. But she did not seek them out to beg for food, either. Nerves and uncertainty kept her at bay. She curled up in a hole in the ground instead and slept away that mortal pain.

Cameo only.
THREADS: 5/5
starin’ up at where
the moon should be
63 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Deshyr had been strangely quiet during the trip, speaking only in mumbles and short, clipped sentences. She was still very salty about this whole thing. No doubt, once she got used to their new territory and they were all settled in, things would be different but, for now, the girl refused to look her parents in the eye, upset by how sudden this all seemed.

Dutifully though, she still fulfilled the task of carrying tiny Eshe, thankful for being given the smallest pup, for as mad as she was at the both of them, she did not envy Rannoch and Liffey's own cargo. Her little sister was quiet and complacent, unlike her larger, more boisterous brother and sister. Those two kept their parents busy during every rest stop, which gave Deshyr time to have a moment to herself to stew in her teenage angst.

She lagged behind the group as they came to a rest, Rannoch announcing that this was a safe spot for the night. Liffey responded by flopping down next to him and Deshyr almost went to do the same. But no. She was mad at them. Instead she planted her butt down firmly a few paces away, looking away from the group and into the darkness of the surrounding forests. The fur at her neck prickled. She couldn't tell if it was because of exhaustion, unfamiliarity, or just plain old stress, but the entire time they were travelling, she felt as if they had eyes upon them. As if something was lurking in the shadows, always staying just out of sight.
205 Posts
Ooc — Kim
When his parents had first announced that they were leaving Lost Creek Hollow to move closer to family, Breccan had been too baffled to have much of a reaction. He dutifully accepted his cargo -- his little brother Tiarnach -- and followed along, but with each step away from home a dark cloud settled lower and lower over his head. The first time they had moved, from the Sunspire to the hollow, he had been too young to really understand. He had simply made the trek without protest and had settled into his new life.

But that was the thing -- he liked his new life. He liked the hollow, and he liked the friends he had made there. He enjoyed hunting in the flatlands around their territory. He liked exploring the water features and getting into trouble with Nuna. That was, perhaps, the most maddening thing about this whole experience -- it had happened so quickly, he hadn't been given a chance to let his closest friend know that he was leaving. His teenage mind wondered darkly if he would ever even see her again.

For the first leg of the journey, though, Breccan had kept all these thoughts to himself. He just stewed quietly, thankful that his mouth was occupied by carrying Tiarnach and that was an excuse not to speak. When it was determined that they were settling down for the night, in a place that Rannoch was very familiar with, he gave the area a cursory glance. Normally, he would have been excited to see his father's childhood home, but in his present mindset it didn't hold his interest. "Okay," was his only response, and then he followed Deshyr away from the den.

He plopped onto his haunches next to her with a sigh. He didn't say anything for a long time, and then finally muttered under his breath, "This sucks."
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Note: Moving this along!

Deshyr and Breccan withdrew, and Rannoch watched as they convened elsewhere. He turned to Liffey, his expression faltering. "I understand why they're acting up," he acknowledged. "I just wish that there was a way we could make them understand that this is a good thing—even if it doesn't feel like it right now." Rannoch knew that their youngest children wouldn't understand, even if they sat them down and talked to them. "Maybe I'll try talking to them again," he decided, feeling as though he had already proved to be the worst father that he could. 

But still, Rannoch couldn't help but wonder, "Do you think that'll be worth the effort?"
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Her two elder kids were quick to take the opportunity to distance themselves, leaving their parents frowning sadly in their wake. Liffey hadn't realized just how unhappy all of them would be with this move. She knew her littlest ones would be hit or miss--the Hollow was all they'd ever known, so she'd known they'd either be upset or scared to leave it, or they'd be thrilled at the adventure. Obviously, it had not been the former for most of them. Her older children, though. Her older children had surprised her.

"Why don't we give them some time," Liffey answered, casting her gaze down from her mate's, "Maybe they just need a little bit of time, and things will be better once they get there and they're around family again. Maybe they'll start to see the positives once they get to see my parents and everyone else." She wasn't so certain even as she said it, which hurt considering she had been only a few short days ago. Now they couldn't go back even if they wanted to. So, hope for the best really was their only option.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch nodded in reply to Liffey's suggestion; their children needed time to adjust to the change.  They all were in this, whether they liked it or not, and he recognized the benefits of allowing some distance between himself and their children. Their opinions would have to be formulated on their own accord—they couldn't be forced to agree, especially when there hadn't been a sufficient amount of time for their thoughts to settle. 

Pressing against Liffey, Rannoch exhaled softly. "I'm sure they'll agree with our decision in time," he agreed, lying through his teeth; he needed to keep morale up, despite his anxiety that told him otherwise. "They just need more time... but they'll turn around." He nudged her cheek then, holding his nose in place for a moment as he relished in the familiarity of her scent. 

Allowing Deshyr and Breccan space, Rannoch and Liffey kept their distance for the remainder of the night, allowing their children the autonomy they desired. By the time that he had fallen asleep, the older children were still stationed outside of the den, but when he woke the next morning, they had made their way into their interim shelter. It was a small relief seeing all their children together, and that sentiment alone motivated Rannoch for the rest of their journey.