Moonspear the minor fall, the major lift
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Four babes rested beside her, and Hydra surveyed them all. They had insatiable appetites, each of them, and Hydra would let them have their fill as they needed it. When she needed to relieve herself, she had Alya or Lyra to watch over them; she felt them safe, and secure, and was relieved to have them both here with her. 

At present she watched one of her cubs mosey away from her. Hydra was quick to foil their plans, ever unamused by these attempts, and pulled the tawny child–a girl–nearer to her. Dirge’s lookalike seemed similar to him in more ways than one for her wandering spirit, but was otherwise content to rest near her mother and harass her brothers (and they repaid her in kind).
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
A lot like last year after his youngest siblings had been born, he prioritized guard when it came to the den, helped hunt small game he found on the way, and generally frequented the area in whatever ways he could with the rest of the family. The year before, he had learned quickly what he could do, and what he shouldn't lest he want to be a complete irritant; for his mother, this had always involved a delicate balance of distance kept for her privacy, yet usefulness when she would allow, and that was how he had earned more company when he could. If it had worked for her, he wanted to think something similar would be true for his older sister too.

Hydra had been sequestered away with the pups and had been keeping strictly to business for long enough to make him feel like he missed just his sister, though. Through all the grief and everything happening, meaning what all moving forward might entail, he tried to keep his visits brief and to the point because honestly, his usefulness was better in other directions elsewhere on the mountain.. but in days and weeks to come, he knew that would change, and before he knew it, the pups were going to be rallying the mountainside too and he could get to know them properly finally then. Like most things, he did have to be patient.

Still, for today, Jarilo approached the densite quietly with his freshly-caught rabbit--a fat one from a nearby meadow, practically ripe for the picking as he had made his way here. When he slowed up with the densite in view, he lingered, ears forward to see if he could hear anyone within before he would even "knock" (more obviously than smelling like fresh catch on her doorstep, that is) to see if now was a good time to be here at all.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra was hyper-vigilant; when it came to the new life within, nothing could prevent the ruthless and violent protective instinct that reared its head as she heard movement outside of her abode. Many came with food for her while she could not hunt as she used to, and for that she was grateful for it—but her immediate reaction was more feral than that. Any who came too close was no stranger to that, and in the blink of an eye Hydra had erupted from the den, all iron will and teeth.

But when she saw who it was, she calmed significantly. Jarilo. Steadfast, stoic; he reminded her of mother, who she longed for in these days more than ever. Her eyes latched to the rabbit, and she chuffed in thanks—her body was both sword and shield, but she stowed away the former. It was still too soon for him to meet them—for anyone to, for that matter. @Alya shared in whelping duties, and @Lyra when one hiccuped; but they were, as all knew, extensions of Hydra herself, more mothers than aunts in this new endeavor. They hunted for her too, now.

Brother, she greeted, voice fond. It is good to see you. It always was, and she imagined it always would be.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
And that was exactly why he knew enough to be careful, as his dark sister surfaced fury-first. He was remarkably stone-faced, considering the presentation--and there weren't many who could stare down jaws of the cerberus and not really bat an eye, but he folded back his ears and had kept enough distance to say he knew, ready to twist, evade, or flee deep in his every fiber; however when she didn't follow through towards him any further than that, not today, only then did he chance an actual breath in earnest. Some relief could come afterward.

He stepped a little nearer to nudge the dead rabbit her way. It's good to see you, he returned, tail flicking and a tiny edge of a smirk before her reached to attempt a lick on her chin. Pulling back, his expression creased. I missed you, the Ostrega replied, quietly, still hung in this strange subdued headspace for himself--one that was hurting still. But he steadied it up soon after, eyes bright upon his sister. Are they doing good? he absolutely had to ask as he glanced back towards the den's entrance to say who he meant of course, but would press no further than that about them. That time would come.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Jarilo need not fear her, nor her sisters, unless he truly transgressed. But he had not. Hydra was hypercautious, and he knew this as all her family did. Better to be prepared, to be ready. He too seemed to understand, shifting away in case she acted further. Appeased by this, Hydra's hackles melted and she shook out her furs. He had not done anything wrong here, and she would not act as though he had. Settled, she reached to grab the morsel he had brought her, pausing long enough to permit his touch and, after a beat, nose his cheek companionably. Hydra was grateful for him; for all of her family. They had suffered much, but they were as ready as they ever could be to rebuild. They remained, and they supported her ascension, unconventional and unfortunate though the circumstances had been.

She dug into the rabbit, hungry and glad for the sustenance. Her eyes shifted upward at his admittance, and studied his expression. No doubt his mind was still heavy from all that had transpired. He had little distraction from it, unlike she herself who was nothing but immersed in it. She swallowed what remained in her mouth, licking her chops to remove the remaining mess from it, lifting her head to allow herself to be entirely present for him. Hydra did poorly with emotions, in dealing with them at all, but Hydra had missed him too. All of her family, in fact—though her younger siblings were wise to steer clear of her in recent days, as they knew her nature... it was more subdued now that they were a little older; she would not mind their company. That she missed him in kind went without saying; it was obvious in the way she received him, and let him linger despite being tired. She was alert, now, and was happy to spend this time with him.

Jarilo's question was met with a nod. Growing stronger every day. I have named them. Vega is your niece; Osiris, Atlas, and Antares are your nephews. You will be able to meet them soon, she promised with a low hum. They are eager to explore the outside world already. But it was too soon for that, instinct told her, and it was this feeling she obeyed.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
In his subtlest ways, as she ate the snack he brought, he was trying to sniff out little, minor details about the pups that her telling furs would share. With the mix of familiarity and unfamiliar that they brought into the situation, for their scents were not the easiest to pick out from Hydra, her sisters', and even Dirge's presence on the area.. they were distinct enough in their very own way now that he took half a second to decipher them. And, of course, when her report of their progress so far came positively, he felt his mood lift a little more.

Vega, Osiris, Atlas, and Antares. While far from the first time he had heard these names originally from the stars and their myths, this was the first time he had to remember them in earnest as one of their Moonspearian own, and fitting ones at that--his tail waved softly as a hint of a small, fond smile came to him, thinking, imagining, what they might be like. Good. I'll be ready to meet them then, he said, happy to hear that they were eager to explore--he wanted them to get to see it all, from the mountain and the valleys below. They had a lot to catch up on and he wanted to be there to help them do it with the rest of the family. Sounds like they'll fit in well.. when it's that time, he said, happy and reminded well of having to wait for his youngest siblings to reach that point before he could get to know them.

Then, he steadied up a bit. I also wanted to ask if there was anything else you wanted me to do--for you or them, here or anywhere else, he offered to Hydra, as sister and alpha alike. He liked a directive, even better when it was something to do, it distracted him from his grief--which did remind him, he almost wanted to ask about Speedy.. because what if they found trace of her somewhere? What of her whelps, their half-siblings? Jarilo stopped the thought dead there, before he could even frown about it; evidently he wasn't quite ready to broach that subject so outright yet.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra agreed; they were already Ostrega's, she sensed, in their adventurous whims... and in plenty of other ways, too. As his tone shifted, Hydra nodded. Continue to guard the borders. Even somewhat beyond to ensure no trouble dares to come close to our doorstep, she requested, thinking of the Glen and even parts of the surrounding mountains. Hydra knew well of less than savory wolves, and she would kill them before they found the breath to greet her children. Or perhaps there were better uses for wolves such as that, if they could be leashed. Hydra thought idly of @Moath and what it would be like to have such a creature under her command... someone who would obey her, and protect their family dutifully. I do not want you going too far, while they are so young. If trouble ever does come, I want us all there to ensure it never returns.

Hydra did not think of Speedy as she spoke of the words, but the woman did come to mind as an afterthought, ringing crystal clear as the thought of trouble and never returns sang in her mind. Father had wanted them here, where she absolutely did not. Somewhere out there were bastards. Perhaps Hydra could spirit one away, to fulfill her fathers second to last wish—first, Hydra prided herself, was for her to rule. Surely such a thing would wound the harlot, but perhaps it would satisfy her. Licking her chops, Hydra thought aloud: Speedy is to be killed on sight, if she comes near here. Our brothers and sisters... they will not be shunned from seeing this place for her lies or decisions. It is not their fault, she sighed. On neutral grounds, Hydra did not care—but the woman had no reason to come back to the place she had seen fit to attempt to ruin. It would be the end of her to do so.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
The steely Ostrega nodded deeply his understanding, for all of that was what he could do--and what he had been doing, although the ranging beyond was only recent. He was confident that he could build up to even more, and plus her words would help drive that motivation's point. It was helping him keep to a routine, namely one that did not involve mourning his losses, and sending a busy mind elsewhere.

But, she knew and his ears flicked upwards with a curious twitch and then another smaller nod. If she was going to open the topic of Speedy, then he would take that lead quite readily. He really doubted Speedy would be dumb enough to come near here ever again.. but on the off chance, that was definitely something to keep in mind. Alright, he said, softly. Is it bad I blame all of them for what happened? Speedy of course obviously.. but, I know it isn't fair to the pups, or their fault, but I hate it. He hoped he would simply never have to see them and that their mother would make sure of that so this could never be an issue, but here he was entertaining the possibility. If it just hadn't had to be like that, they might still be here.. Jarilo said, voice tightening until he stopped there where it was just enough.

Either way. Anything suspicious near here doesn't stand a chance lately. We can keep the guards up, unquestionably, he said, straightening his stance then to help shake away the uneasiness thinking about his dead parents too long brought him. That was at least the point he wanted to make to his alpha where she could trust her pups to be safe from all beyond.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra gazed at her brother as he spoke his truth, and after a measured look coupled with a contemplative silence, Hydra decided: I do not think so. Their existence was a stain upon their mothers name, and by extension Hydra felt slighted. But Hydra would never harm the defenseless unless they acted so recklessly it put her own family at risk. Hydra had enough of such behavior, and would not permit it in her own domain.

Her features remained impassive as ever, but within her eyes was a raging, malevolent storm; her hatred for the woman was violent, and her eyes flashed as lightning might to be reminded of the pain the foul bitch brought to them all. Speedy's decision to disobey me and go with our father killed them, came her voice, dark and full of contempt; it was why if she ever came near, she would pay for her mistakes with her life. It was so worthless a thing even that would not be enough, but still—perhaps it could bring some peace to their hearts. The consequences of that day, the conception of those children, boiled down to one singular source: Speedy. She sighed. If she shares stories of him, they may someday come. Father wished for them to be here; he wished for them to act as shields for my own cubs. The idea has its merit, the corner of her lip lifted at the idea, if only because he had voiced to her the extent of their worth to him. Her gaze remained upon Jarilo, and she humored: how do you think they should be received? 

As for his final words, she nodded firmly. She trusted him and the others to see it through.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
His better sense knew that they were not the only ones to blame, for their father was not innocent, and their mother was not kindhearted enough. There were many layers to this, but no matter in what ways he thought about it, a real turning point that had cost them all dearly rested with Speedy and those cubs.

He licked his teeth as he listened, all with his expression concentrating for his thoughts were difficult too--but he had explored them at length.. far more than he would rather openly admit. It had bothered him deeply in the wake of everything, plus some of what Hydra told him served to confirm for him why.

Again, he hoped she would not bait them into wanting to know their father. It was not going to end well for them if they did, even if Charon had wanted them here. He wasn't able to speak for everyone, but it was sure to be a delicate subject, despite any use they may have of them. I don't know. It would always be hard for me to trust them fully knowing why they exist at all, or accept them, shields or not. Although the tone he spoke in suggested he wasn't entirely discrediting the notion yet. Plus I somehow doubt yours will need it--and that Speedy would raise them like we would here, to even be good enough to be that even thanks to Dad... he sighed. They would have to really have some powerful influences elsewhere to ever really be enough--Charon's blood in their veins or not. That was only half the mixture, even without accounting for nurturing the upbringing too..

I would not want them to think that just because they are Dad's, that this mountain would ever be anything except a threat to them.. honestly, he answered and narrowed his eyes to let the vague shifts of his posture speak for his unease. To him it wasn't right. He wanted nothing to do with them, and really, preferred it all to simply not be entirely. Maybe that was another big part of what unsettled him--the fact that they were having to consider this in the first place about half-siblings of their own.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra hmm'd as he spoke. Betrayal and deceit both was in their blood. Hydra was too aware of their fathers role in this, but had wanted to ensure she was not being unjust in her decree. Jarilo was the most levelheaded of them all, and she considered his advisement with a neutral expression. The truth of it was, Hydra herself wanted nothing to do with them either; it was no mystery to any upon this mountain, and she had never made it so. 

A wolfish grin beset her features then. They will not. Brother, you must know that I think their abilities gained prior to coming here to be likely insufficient, she drawled, looking away from him. What she trusted was their ability to be poor at such a task, and that they may find an early grave. It was not her intention, but if they themselves wished it... why prevent it? Still, her mind was precisely where her brothers was. 

Hydra rumbled. There is nothing for them here. They are bastards. They should be dead, she huffed, ear twitching. In a perfect world, it would be their lives instead of the lives of their parents. Perhaps they should rob them of that, as Speedy had done to she and her siblings.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Exactly, he hummed back, content enough to sense that Hydra felt very similarly to him.

He had idolized Charon for all of his life for reasons he could barely count, but Jarilo still doubted his sons and daughters through Speedy--no matter how high his father's pedestal was, Speedy couldn't even register in his mother's shadow. Then, to not be raised on Moonspear, or maybe not even any mountain whatsoever? Those whelps may be their half siblings that they were talking about but Jarilo could find no fondness in his heart for them. Maybe at best a morbid curiosity that came from nowhere good in him--did they dare to take after their stolen father?

But she was right, and her rumble had his attention peaked. They should be dead. He didn't disagree. Maybe it wouldn't be so if Charon and Ame both, or hell, even either, were still here. Maybe if their losses had not been so heartbreaking, and practically everything he had.

They turn up where we can find them, they just might end up that way, he said, unless of course Hydra wanted it to not be so wait and see. I wouldn't want to guarantee otherwise.. if there was ever the opportunity, or the motivation.. But now was no time for that, not when they had they had their own cubs to raise and teach on the mountain. Next he sighed to almost want to write it off for right now, feeling all darkened too by what he had learned and seen recently. And hey, maybe it is already done with and they're all dead already. Maybe nature took care of it for us, he tried to find the humor, but couldn't really. Deep down he was torn, but he was also hurt--and badly. He didn't have any mercy left for any who were not their own.. and despite whatever his father had wanted, he couldn't make himself consider these bastards among them.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra heard him, and in her heart agreed. Innocent though they were, that they might live would be a reminder of what their lives had cost her family. His words brought about a dark look upon her features. The blood of a bastard will never hold any merit or worth, here, except perhaps to the weeds and other scavengers. What opportunity could they find? There is nothing but dishonor in their story—and the seed father planted... well, it was not his finest year, she drawled. There could be no comparison to what he had produced in years past to what had been born of pure stupidity.

Hydra snorted. If they find such things within them, we will rip all that and more from them. Together. The Queen decided at length, and looked to him. ..we will be prepared, and prepare my children for such a thing. She did not feel the slightest bit threatened by even the prospect, but that did not mean she would not work as though they were the most formidable thing she might ever face; it was how she treated all she fought against. Better to overestimate than to be lazy; if they came to face her, her family, they would know nothing but for the feel of her endless, unyielding violence [her families, too] and the taste of their own iron in the end.

But they, if they existed yet, were children. All things began harmless, she knew, and perhaps the wisest thing might be to remove them before a problem could come to be. Her moral code was painted the color of survival, but they did not factor into the shade, and it felt a spineless thing to do. Hydra's own mercy seemed to find its end there; what benefit could there be, them coming to reside here? That they shared Speedy's blood was a near-guarantee that she could never trust them. Such a thing could be inherent, and she would not risk it. At his musing, Hydra snorted: that would be convenient. It would be, and it was not beyond the realm of possibility, either. Nature could be cruel.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Her response was able to soothe him in a familiar way. With a deep exhale, he liked far too much that he agreed and knew that he could trust his sister on this--and between them especially. He still hated the nature of it all, the involvement of his father's offspring... his wants, aspirations, in all things greater than this even, but there was just a foul undertone of deceit and mistake that made the true-born son unsettled about it even still. Think it was even worth it to him.. end in end? It really cost that much, Jarilo's voice tapered off; Hydra didn't need to answer that anyway, it was him speaking rhetorically and aloud as his ears swung outwards once again. He knew it wasn't the entire cause of everything, but it was one big shove in that direction when the situation was already so delicate. Likely, he would never understand entirely. It was difficult enough to grasp.

However, on the switch to the mood, he nodded. Good, he agreed, and he would be there to help them be prepared he hoped. He intended to be, and now that he knew his older sister and alpha's beliefs on the matter here today.. it was something he was going to keep in mind. I'm not counting on it.. so we'll be prepared--for that and even more, I know. It just feels bad knowing that maybe, I guess, he simmered, a knowingly-cold, familiar look in his eyes. But we will do what we have to. I just.. I should get back to patrol. I'm glad we could see, together. Jarilo gestured meaning this moment, for this hint of a reprieve between them. It honestly helped him feel less.. lost in all of his hurts and sorrows, but he knew Hydra would need to get back to her puppies soon.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His inquiry was met with an inquisitive look. How could it have been? She answered with a question of her own, her blue eyes searching. He had lost his life for it, and been robbed of knowing his grandchildren and the ability to see any of his dreams come to fruition. All for what he did not even know for certain... he had fought for it, but Hydra imagined that if he had known he would pay with his life that he never would have. The unknown was too fickle a thing to fight for, and his future had never been with those bastards or with Speedy. Hydra believed, for all his witless deeds, he knew that much.

Hydra sighed a little as he spoke of not counting on it. Better to act as though you do, she advised, and wished. Though she did not feel threatened by it at all, Hydra was militant in her way of thinking. She did not want this lazily dealt with. She shifted her weight some as he spoke of maybe, and her blue eyes flashed. We know that Speedy is a liar. She will be spinning her own narrative. I would like to think, though, that she would rather her children alive than dead... that she would not ever bring them here, or hint that this place has any answers for them. They would not like the answer that awaited them—it was lifes final, and most unfortunate, response.

As he made mention of returning to patrol, Hydra nodded. She did, too; she was always appreciative of Jarilo, stalwart and steadfast as he was. It was good to vent their lingering frustrations—ones that son and daughter, brother and sister, could understand better than most. She thought of Arcturus then, too, and wondered what he would think of it all. Hydra hated how the woman lingered even still; what would rid them of this?

Nothing but her end, Hydra imagined.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He wondered if he ever would truly, wholly understand what it was that had driven his father to such lengths. Nothing about the entire Speedy situation was ever going to settle well with him, and the sterling Ostrega absolutely hated that the whole mess was even there at all to color his last poignant memories of his father. He would never understand why it had to be like that. Everything could have simply.. not? It was going to be on his mind for some time, and Hydra's words were going to last; he nodded slowly. Speedy was going to regret it, if she did not already--and even if she did, she deserved to suffer more for all she had caused, carelessly. Somehow, he wanted to believe this.. that she would pay and ache tenfold. But that was what bothered him.. because nothing Speedy or these presumed whelps had was going to equate to the losses they suffered. 

He hated that this brought it out of him, but he was wounded. Hydra, his sister, alpha, and now one of the closest ties to all of his parent's teachings had helped to keep the coals of this fire burning, though. She did not stifle him and maybe even given him some structure to all of his ire to know she still felt it too.

Although he could, Jarilo refused to remark further, and would keep this close to heart for later. He had something to consider, and none of this was an immediate issue anyway. He wouldn't set it entirely aside. I'll see you soon, he offered, and reached in lightly to brush shoulders--a quick farewell before he picked up his pace and was off and onward back across the mountain, freeing his sister back to her brood.