Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Open to any- this is their return :)

Niamh’s pace quickened as the two travellers neared the borders, passing by recognizable landmarks that called her home. She urged Bronco to keep up, aware that he was tired of travelling now- but she’d also learned how much better he tended to behave after she’d managed to run the legs off of him and get all that extra energy out. Once they reached the borders- she knew they were welcome, but still, to teach her son another lesson, she stopped and would have told him to lay down, had he not already flopped to the ground.

”So when you come to borders like this, you hafta wait. If you cross them, they’ll probably chase you out and beat you down...Not that we do that here. But yeah, every pack’s gotta keep their borders safe so even here, we don’t tolerate trespassers.” She said. ”Usually, you don’t howl- unless it’s an emergency or if you’re expected. But where this is our home...We’re kind of allowed to annoy our packmates, heh,” She said, before she tilted her head back and howled.

It had been a longer than expected departure. She’d wanted some one-on-one time with her unruly boy, so he’d bond with her and actually listen to her. It still seemed that he tended to ignore her and learn his lessons the hard way- but she did feel she’d gained a bot of respect from him simply by providing for the two of them, and by flopping him down every time they started to playfight. Now, though, it was time to be home. Bronco was overtired, and had delayed their return by running off on more than one occasion- in the wrong direction. He always thought he was right. She’d hoped that if nothing else, he’d learned one lesson.

Mother knows best.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
While at first it seemed like some kind of reward, Bronco learned quickly that this wasn’t just some fun little trip where he could run wild. No- there were rules, rules and more rules- and when he went against them, either he was punished by his mother or by nature for doing the wrong thing. He’d learned that his Mom was right about porcupines- they were sharp. Mom was right about skunks too- they stunk. She was right about the directions they travelled in, and that his little escape attempts had cost them more time. And no matter what he did, he lost every playfight, as he refused to follow her directions and went for a freestyle attack instead. Mom was a know-it-all.

He didn’t really like it- but he’d begun to see that she did make sense, even if her warnings meant he could have less fun. Water was indeed dangerous, even if it looked calm on the surface. But he did enjoy swimming...But some rivers were too strong for him. He’d begun to have a bit of an idea about his own safety, knowing now that he wasn’t invincible. And damn, his mom sure could run. He trailed behind- growing stronger and stronger yes- but he could not match her strength or speed. So if nothing else, he had learned that he would have to keep pushing himself, so that some day, he could run faster and fight harder than his mom could. 

He collapsed at the borders and quirked one ear as she instructed him again. He just wanted to crawl back into their den and sleep for a week- but he was too tired to protest and simply run home, ao he stayed put, trying to catch his breath.
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Doubtless Colt was advised against doing too much, but it wasn't advice he took to heart.  There were too few of them to do so and, as soon as he could, he was up and moving once more.  Just quite a bit slower than the usual.

He could hardly resist, then, when Niamh called. He was anxious to hear how their trip had gone, though she sounded fine, and to just see them again.  He'd missed her and Bronco fiercely though Nellie was good company.  It had been nice to have some time just them as well.

Dangerous strangers on the borders today! What brings a warrior like you this way? he called over to Bronco before grinning and turning to Niamh.  He moved in, prepped to give her a damn good hug because shit it was good to have her back.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
The sight of her mate walking toward them, in the distance, made her heart thrum in her chest- but only for a moment. Even over the stretch of land between them, she could tell the difference between Colt’s usual, leisurely strut, and the pace he now kept. Her ears pricked and she put out a leg instinctively to bar Bronco from doing anything stupid. She moved stiffly toward him and even though he greeted them warmly, Niamh’s nerves were on fire.

”Who in the- Bronco, cover your ears- who in the fuck did this to you?” She demanded, before she moved in to kiss his cheek, fawning over him genty while she was able to inspect his wounds more closely. From all she could tell, it was from another wolf, which enraged her further. She growled softly as she returned her gaze to meet Colt’s. He was in good spirits- and she didn’t want to come back and avoid some reunion cuddles because she was angry- but her priority list had been shuffled; snuggling with her mate had slipped below “kick that asshole’s ass” as soon as she saw his injuries. 

But she told herself not to be too angry just yet. She sighed, and leaned gently against his shoulder. Damn, it was good to be back...But she couldn’t help but feel more concern than anything else, given the fact someone had had the audacity to attack her mate.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
There he was! As soon as Bronco saw his dad, he stood up, tail waving from side to side. His Dad would probably be amazed at how much he’d grown, right? He arched his tail over his back and pricked his ears- something that might have been considered a dominant posture- and took one step forward in preparation for launching himself at his dad- only to be barred by a slim foreleg from his mother.

He furrowed his brow sourly and cocked his head to the side, his mouth falling open in a pout as he looked back to his dad as though to say “You see how unfair this is?” When he finally took notice of his dad’s poor condition. 

Bronco’s initial reaction, unlike his mother, wasn’t anger, but anxiety. He dropped his tail and moved forward with a slinking gait, using a nervous side-eye as a means of checking his dad’s injuries out. He heard what his dad said, but his mom was quicker to respond, so all he could muster was a half-hearted wave of his tail.

Who did this to his dad? He didn’t bother covering his ears- he’d heard his mom swear LOTS. This was no different. She moved toward him and finally seemed to soften, so Bronco was able to relax a bit. Seeing his mom this tense with anger made him nervous. ”You won, right?” He asked, hopeful for an affirmative answer. The world was a dangerous place- he hated seeing that those dangers would come so close to home.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Right, that.

Course I won, think your old man would let anyone get the better of him? Colt replied to Bronco's easier question first, teasing affront in his tone.  But there was a tension to him to, one that he let slip a bit to the fore as he turned to Niamh.  

Kiwi.  She didn't seem too interested in my explanation on what happened with her mom.  He said quietly.  I almost killed her, and maybe should have.  Might have been better for everyone, because now he had to wonder if she was going to pop back up and start shit with someone else.  If she touched his kids...

I'm glad you're home, he added, pushing aside that whole mess and giving her a long nose on the cheek as well.  He was tired and moving hurt like hell, but he was fine.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh was glad that Bronco showed empathy toward his father. It wasn’t without the slight irony, given the fact that he had laughed at her more than once when she’d taken a tumble at full tilt while hunting for them- but Bronco was his father’s son, and she’d learned not to get ruffled when either of them laughed at her whenever she went arse over tea kettle.

Her lips drew tight when he joked about winning the fight, but by the look of him, he’d really had to dig in and fend the other wolf off. Her mouth fell open and she pulled back in shock when he said who had done it. 

Kiwi. And to think- Niamh had been the one training Kiwi how to fight. She shook her head in disbelief, but allowed Colt to explain. ”Kiwi,” She huffed, ”Attacked you because you told her that her mom passed away?!” Of course, Niamh failed to connect the dots...That Colt had taken over in Wildfire’s stead. But the whole idea still seemed outlandish. ”Kiwi, though? Cripes,” She growled. ”I was training that kid how to fight before she went off on her own. Fucking ridiculous.” She growled, and realized what she’d said, and cast a sudden glance go Bronco, before she softened her gaze. She shouldn’t have sworn. ”Sorry Buster. Very ridiculous.” So at least if she’d taught Bronco nothing else, she had definitely exposed him to a fair amount of bad language. 

From what Colt had said, Kiwi was likely very bad off- especially if she was on her own. She was still angry and shocked, but she softened and leaned gently into Colt’s touch when he reached out for her. ”I’m glad to be home,” she murmured, and sighed. Like Colt, she was tired...It wasn’t easy travelling with a pup, but she hoped it would curb some of Bronco’s behavior issues. ”Hey Bronc, why don’t you tell your Dad some of the things you’ve learned?” She suggested. She’d press Colt for moredetails about Kiwi later- but not in front of the kids.[/b]
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
It was totally easy to believe that his Dad had won the fight- he was Dad, after all, and could take on anyone. His Mom had tried endlessly to impress him with her speed and strength, and sure- she’d hunted and had won every single training session she’d given him in terms of self defense, but he only saw it as motivation to beat her someday, not an impressive feat. But Colt was somehow exempt from that skepticism- and the fact that he’d nearly killed another wolf was proof of just how strong he was. Bronco smiled and narrowed his eyes proudly. That was his Dad.

Bronco, of course, opened his mouth to protest when his Mom swore. She’d done it a few times and he’d begun imitating her, but for some reason it wasn’t OK for him to swear. So he’d ask why she was allowed to, and they’d come to the sort of agreement that if he wasn’t allowed to use that kind of language, he shouldn’t hear it either...Though there was something so very satisfying about swearing. He grinned wolfishly at his Mom when she changed her phrasing and nodded. Good. She had to learn something too.

And speaking of learning, he was then asked to detail what he’d been shown while travelling, and more than anything, he wanted to impress his Dad. But he was a child still, and the first few things that came to mind were a reflection of that. 

”Do as I say, not as I do,” He repeated, mirroring an expression he’d heard very often. ”Don’ mess wif stankybutt skunks. Don’ mess wif Porkypines, Don’ wake Ma up ‘fore sunrise, an’ don’ run yer mouth,” he said, pausing for a moment to think about more. ”Oh! Dad! I catched-a mouse! Anna toad, anna burrfrog,” He boasted proudly.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
A toad and a frog! Colt exclaimed, the surprise in his voice a mock to give his son confidence, but the pride as he looked at him completely real.  Bronco was a credit to him, it was already apparent, and it was also apparent that as he grew both he and Niamh would have their paws full.

He didn't want to dwell on the Kiwi situation in front of Bronco, so he gave Niamh a look that clearly meant 'later'.  Soon we'll have to add a proper deer to that list, he added with a smile.  It was nearing time for them to begin learning, both he and his sister.  Hopefully Colt would be back at full capacity and ready to teach them soon.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
She was able to put a smile on her face for her son as he listed the things he'd learned, and had to try not to roll her eyes as he stated a few things that weren't necessarily things she'd meant for him to repeat. At least he hadn't decided to list all the swear words he'd heard her use- she'd be thankful for that. Still, she felt an ache of concern, and a little flicker of anger still held fast in her chest. How could Kiwi have attacked Colt? Had she forgotten who Colt's mate was, and that Niamh had been the one to teach her how to fight? She'd have to settle that later. She'd decide what she had to say to the unappreciative little wretch...Once she took some time to cool down. 

"Mmmhmm," Niamh agreed, doing her best not to show how distracted she was, and tried to pull her attention back to her son and away from her thoughts. "Deer tastes the best," She agreed. Of course, she hadn't exactly been able to hunt down a deer on her own, so Bronco had yet to taste it, but he would soon enough. "C'mon. Let's go find your sister Nellie, eh? I want to see how much she's grown," She said, reaching out to affectionately ruffle the fur on the top of Bronco's head. They all needed rest- Colt needed to heal, and both she and Bronco likely needed to sleep for a couple of days straight to regain their energy after having been away for so long.