Firefly Glen Feeling eternal, this pain is an illusion
sometimes, dead is better
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Private 
55°, currently it is light rain and set during the late afternoon. Located in Great Bear Wilderness, firefly glen | ooc notes: let's get this bread! | tagging: @Hydra

The rain had followed him since the woods. Though light, the distance traveled had left him soaked. Any dirt and dried blood had long been washed away by the rain, leaving him with a somewhat clean physique. Not perfect, but as clean as he had been in a long long time. Sleaked down with the water, the sheer bulk of his being was apparent. He was a monster, muscles along his back rose and fell with every step, and he was back in the glen once more.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra had left the children in the hands of pack today; they were to learn more independence, and Hydra was invigorated by her own freedom, however temporary. She marked her lands clearly, and stalked beyond them. Any wolf too near to Moonspear was forced away by tooth and claw; she came upon Vengeance not as immaculate and well-groomed as she oft was, but covered in rainmurk and blood—not a lick of it her own. Fox, coyote, even wolf had suffered the consequence of coming too close. And her energy was far from expended; all yielded to her iron will, saw within her eyes that she would accept nothing but their yielding to her will, or their death. She was not at all unlike Vengeance, in the simplest of ways here and now; she had been called a monster in name, and was one in soul too perhaps. 

Motherhood softened some, but it served to make her even more savage in nature. As the rain misted above, Hydra thought she caught wind of another. Fortunately he was not too near for her to consider him an immediate threat, but this was very much so her Wilderness. The Glen she knew as well as she knew Moonspear, each hillock and every divet in the earth she had encountered in her years. She paused, presenting herself as nonthreatening with a cursory sniff of the air—but her gaze suddenly fell to him, sharp and dark. Her ears pricked, and the aristocratic bitch wondered if he might come nearer, or else be on his way.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Unlike the other times, the lightning bugs did not come out to play - no dancing flames to light his way or figure in the darkness. No, this was much like the new home he had been attempting to claim - chasing out any wanderers who did not heed to the fresh markings that he had been laying out along with any of his followers. Though small in numbers, it fueled his territorial instinct. 

In the rain, a dak figure presented themselves in the corner of his eye. Ever watchful of his surroundings, the new face did not go unnoticed, turning his broad head over his shoulder he took in the sight of the new shadow cloaked female. Though he did not approach, their eyes met with the same dark, keen eye. It would take much more than a look for him to recoil, perhaps nothing in heaven or hell could make the monster of a man flinch.

What. Was there a reason why she stared at him so, just a curious eye perhaps. Regardless, he turned to face the woman, his tall broad frame soaking in the rain as it dripped from his chin.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His voice filled the air, and Hydra remained silent. She answered his words with action; she moved nearer to him, long-legged strides quick to bridge the gap between them. All the while, her body was prepared for action on his part; should he lash out, she would dart out of reach, swift and wise to battle as she was. But these lands were an extension of her claim, and they had been for years; no doubt he would have an answer to his question when the distance between them was bridged, should he not move away himself. In fact, it was why she did as she had. She, too, wanted to know what.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Instead of replying, the woman approached. Carefully he eyed her as she came closer, watching her every movement, dissecting it with every inch she closed between them. There were no signs of aggression in her posture, but her reason for approaching was still unsaid. Unmoving, the goliath stood proud and tall where he was. What is it that you want. he demanded again, this time a little more bite to his words as he glared down at the smaller woman. Though he had been spreading the word of his work as a mercenary, he had no memory of telling someone such as herself - even if she was told from beyond the grapevine, he was beginning to grow impatient with her silence on the matter.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He permitted the proximity she all but demanded, and she drank of his scent. The tracker needed only a whiff of it to recognize it, and she circled him loosely so that she was alongside him. Not right beside him, for she was not a thoughtless, vapid woman, but she regarded him with different eyes, now. There was newfound interest that lingered there, but the danger she might present lingered malevolently in their depths. I had hoped I might find you, she drawled at length, unflinching toward his glare. Her own expression remained stoic as she regarded him; she had long ago assessed him, but had not yet ceased in such an endeavor. Not for the reasons he might think; she had not heard of his reputation, though her own was far reaching. Even if he did not know her, he would in time. 

Do your friends often accost those they mistake for others to the point of near-death? She inquired with a tilt of her head, ears cupping forward to hear his rejoinder. There was little to reveal how she felt on the matter, except for the question itself that implied her genuine curiosity. What did she want? To know him better, of course.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
So she had heard of him. Lips tightened on his mug, but not quite a snarl. If curiosity didn't tug at him so, he would have taken this as an opportunity to sink his fangs into her tender flesh, to rip at anything he could grab - for she had presented herself to him by coming oh so tantalizingly close on her own free will. Though he kept his posture relaxed, the bloodlust in those fiery eyes of his spoke levels of his burning devilish desires. But as she finally spoke, he pushed back those bloody desires; if only to finally understand what the hell was happening here.

Then all was clear. Finally, his mug split in a grin, carving a path across his face in a devilish smirk. No. He thought over the idea of telling this woman that he had sicked Alison onto the woman to prove herself worthy of the position of General within the ranks. That she would take on any job that came her way no matter if it questioned morals. The young white woman was childlike in demeanor, innocent and carefree, she was the perfect subject. I'll let you in on a little secret. As his vocals lowered to a whisper, he leaned over to the blackened woman, words tumbling from his lips in a deep sultry tone. Eyes ever watchful for her reaction. 

She was the perfect target for my friend, I had to make sure she would do as told should she be my second in command. He chose to tell her. The situation was different than one in the field, and she was so bold, it excited him. What would be her reaction?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra watched as he mulled, and listened as he thought to reveal himself and his ways to her. Her muzzle dipped imperceptibly to cover what he had left vulnerable on his own person, and her notched ear twitched as he spoke on—the amusement on his features was only mirrored on her own by the end of his words, and Hydra's eyes flashed.

He was not the first of his sort she had ever met; she was certain he would not be the last, either. She had suspected as much, admittedly; somehow, these wolves gravitated toward here... or perhaps towards her, she thought vainly. As though she were the beacon for wicked things. Hydra, too, appreciated cultivating such things when she could—and when she could not, she got rid of them. Your honesty is appreciated, she hummed in earnest, and after a beat, she drawled, so, you aspire to be my neighbor, then. And you command others to kill at your leisure, she seemed to be considering something, and asked, tell me, why should I permit your residency? What is it that you can do for me? Hydra was watchful of him, each sense honed in upon the man with apt interest. She recognized she had more to gain than to lose, and yet should he be a threat to her children Hydra would do as all mothers would—make he and his wish they had never lived, until she at last she decided to be merciful and granted such a request.

But she was not a woman known well for her mercy. Not anymore.

Still, here and now the excitement this presented to her appealed to her baser, darker nature; she could not help but see the potential in all of this.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Mercenaries - not just at my command, but hired by others to do their dirty work for a price. He explained. They weren't quite mindless killers - although others may argue the opposite. Vengeance himself adored to kill without justification, just for the fun of it all, for the rush and thrill; but that didn't mean he expected the same of the pack. What he expected was for them to set aside their morality and work for a reward, something other than just the thrill of it. To gain recognition and power among other things. 

But as she continued, the laughed. Wholeheartedly, loudly, booming so in an honest roar of amusement. Yellowing fangs flashing as he let out the bellowing, thunderous laughter. Permit? I am not your subordinate, I will do as I please. If you wish to hire me, he corrected her, assuring that he would work if she asked You must offer an equal payment to make it worth my time. Though they were still a small group, he would be damned to allow any leader of a pack to think that they will bend to their every whim. Just because they were new and small in numbers, that they weren't going to go down without a fight and that picking against them would only end in tragedy on both ends.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened, intrigued. And as he laughed, Hydra herself watched him without any shift in her own demeanor. When he continued, she smiled fully, nodding. Ah, she spoke, I see. Her features then became reticent as she mulled, and then spoke again: and what is your price, mercenary king? came her prompt, rain sliding in rivulets down her chin as she watched him. Hydra needed no one to do the dirty work for her; she was more than capable of getting things done herself. Her own pack, too. And yet more teeth were always welcome. What do you do when you run into a conflict of interest? She asked next, wondering just how he ran his own... business, as it seemed to be.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
A part of him believed that perhaps their diplomacy would end. That both the individuals would clash in the desire for the upper hand, for the right to push the other around - but it didn't seem to go as such. The way she spoke shifted, it seemed she was willing to talk to him as an equal of sorts rather than the scum that she could push around and use at her own beck and call. Though it may be shallow, it was a start at the very least; at least they wouldn't clash in fangs just yet.

It depends on the work. A free meal, a haven in your borders should the situation arise, a job in return, a puppy to take under my wing - it all depends on what you are almost unwilling to part with, so long as it is sufficient for the work given. He explained further and paused, allowing her to digest what he had said before continuing at a little slower pace to ensure that she understood. The bigger the job, the more I ask. Finally he finished.

I go with the bigger payoff, the one who will do more for me in the long run. Of course, it all depended on what she meant by conflict of interest. Did she suspect he had morals that would stop him from doing a certain job? If that was the case, she would be pleasantly surprised to learn that he had no morals of which to speak of... no job was too small or too big, too dastardly for him to accomplish with a proper reward agreed uppon. However... Allied packs will not be open for contracts. Those are a different set of rules.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her eyes remained upon him as he explained, and she was silent throughout. To be sure she understood his final point, she asked, those that you are allied with others are unable to create a contract against? That in of itself was a benefit, was it not? She did so enjoy to be prepared. Hydra considered him again with the tilt of her head.

I do not have a job for you, yet, Hydra drawled, but I do have a proposition, if you might be interested to hear it, and in sharing in my own spoils. It will take work, but I do not think that would deter you, she began. He offered much, but she sought more—her ambitions were great, and she felt his were, too. Perhaps it might make them, as he called it, allies.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Yes. Among other things, but he would keep that to himself as to limit how much he was pushing for alliances so early. Though he did not oppose the idea, he wasn't quite searching for making alliances with everyone just yet. Should she press on, perhaps his mind would change... an alliance so early would also mean a stronger hold on his land, allies to assist should anyone come to snuff them out. 

I'm all ears. He cooed, waiting to see whether or not her offer would intrigue him - whether it was worth to ponder over and iron out any details. To work alongside another pack had both their ups and downs. It took a lot of trust, but strength in numbers would be unwise to pass up. He would wait and listen to her proposition and decide once it was up in the air.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He was willing to listen. Just because he seemed a certain way did not mean that he was, and Hydra would find out now the truth of his character. I seek to lay claim to this Wilderness, she drawled with a smile, to make something of an empire. To keep the unwanted out, and the prey and the strong in. I have led for years, and have fought for nearly all my life. I have a taste for more, she continued, I would fight for it. I have many who would fight with me, and for her, too, should she command it. Her ears pricked, and she continued. 

Winter comes. Moonspear, for years, had all of the spoils of the Wilderness. I would seek to keep it that way, though you and yours are not near enough to deprive us of any resources. It is when more, and then more, come and seek to settle that I would seek to drive out, unless they too joined the coalition I aspire to build, Hydra's eyes flashed at the thought. Truly, she just needed a strong few to begin, and she wondered if Vengeance might wish to chase out those that were too weak to be among them so that they both could lay claim to the migratory herds of the Wilderness. There was such a thing as too many, and too close—this, too, she was certain Vengeance would agree with her upon.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
She spoke and he listened. To every word. She sounded mad - madder than he had ever imagined one to be. Though she had a point, there were many who were weak, those who claimed lands for their own and crowded the Wilds with their own empires, challenging for space and prey. But to claim it all - she wanted war. 

Although he was not opposed to the idea; he did not fully trust her either. Should she turn on them too, greed taking over in order for Moonspear to take it all for themselves was it wise to accept such an offer without doing more research of his own. Vengeance was a man of action, thinking things through was not his forte. If he wished to lead a pack, he had to put in more effort than to fling his weight around and put more thought into his actions... this would be one of those moments. 

Brows furrowed as he pondered over the offer. You ask for war over the wilds. He clarified, making her proposition much clearer in order to hear her confirm or deny his claim, should he had understood wrongly. You understand how mad that sounds. Such words coming from a mad man himself was incredible - but he still held his true thoughts behind. He wanted clarification.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra shook her head. Not the entirety of them, she elaborated. She would not overextend herself. Great Bear Wilderness was broad, but the surrounding territories she desired did not fall into the Hinterlands, or the Coast. What is within our reach. When too many packs come to one area, the competition for food becomes high. I wish to eliminate that, someday, her tail swayed as she looked to the large man. Alone, we have never had such an issue in keeping it this way. Together, well, she shrugged. More manpower would never hurt, and how could her suggestion seek to push him out? No, should he join her in this dream, he would be well protected and come to be held in her high esteem and regard. Hydra knew her wish was not impossible to accomplish, she simply needed to find a wolf who shared her ideals. What could it hurt? You were honest with me, and so in turn, I am honest with you. Though the truth of it was, she was always honest. Hydra had yet in her two years of living to tell a lie; she was incapable of it.

She breathed, I have no secrets. All know me. I have many friends, and my enemies, well, they are not near-dead, she proferred a wolfish grin to him then, not at all mocking. Titmouse she imagined to be dead; if he survived, then she did not know it—and should she come to, well, as all knew, she was no liar. She was true to her word. Her words did not come out of vanity, but so that he would know the sort of wolf that she was; the same that everyone else knew her to be. With or without him, she would see this through... and yet, she felt it would be more of a thrill to invite him along on this venture. Why not? Like called to like.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
So the clarification was indeed necessary. The woman clarified that she only desired the small portion with which their claims both lay. It was a much do-able task than to chase out the other packs that had laid claim on neighboring paths on the opposing side of the map. That is a task worth my time. The Warlord admitted, two within a certain range was far less strenuous than to allow any pack to lay claim in the Great Bear Wilderness. 

If an alliance is what you seek, then we should talk about the terms of our alliance. He let the subject linger for a bit, to gather her attention in order to come to a conclusion on how much both packs could use one another to their full advantage. I suggest both packs are allowed within borders to a certain degree in order to familiarize themselves with allied members, their scent and faces. Safe heaven should they need rest. Any denning area is off-limits to visitors. A collaboration to keep everyone fed and safe... Should a member break any alliance rules, we will both speak of their punishment beforehand before acting any harsh punishments. He was confident that she understood that defending was allowed, certain wounds and even attacking if one of the other's members chose to step out of line - so long as their lives were not at risk, of course, that was what he meant by harsh. 

What do you say to that. He waited. His offer was available - ready to be picked apart and molded to her likings.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The other spoke of terms, and Hydra dwelled on them. And after a moment of consideration, she ammended only a portion of it to suit the times. I can agree to that, though as for sharing our territories to get to know one another, perhaps we might wait on that. There are children within my own lands, my children, and prior to any navigating by you and yours I would like for you and I to know one another better, and for them to have moved from the whelping den. I understand you are a group of mercenaries; I would like to be certain that any that have harmed children do not come near my own, she explained. They were young, still, and learning defense—though they were too small to rely on any protection but for the sort their elders could give. I want to be sure that you would defend these as though they were your own, first. Know that I would do the same, and if you would like to wait to share your portion of your lands up until this point, I would understand. she expressed in earnest. 

Since her own younger sister had been murdered as such, Hydra knew there was but one thing she could not abide or tolerate. Whisking them away? Fine—if they were not well looked after, who was to blame but for the pack, the parents? But to attack, to maim, to destroy one that could not fend for themselves? It was a cowardly, yellow-bellied thing to do—and oh, Hydra would see to the end of it. 

We will harbor any, so long as their employment does not involve that. Who swung the sword against a child would be protected only by his own, but any others should have not made the wrong enemy to begin with.
484 Posts
Ooc — Noki
As you wish. Though he figured the forbidding of going into denning sites was enough to keep both of them satisfied when whelps were involved - it seemed she was not willing to give that up just yet. Thankfully she had already voiced what would come, but he would repeat nevertheless, to ensure that it was all understood. If that is the case; both parties will hold up on meeting until your whelps are old enough. He was certain to make clear that he wasn't about to just give her more room to wander if he was given boundaries. It was only fair. 

Come breeding season once again, I hope your trust will allow otherwise. For it would be a pain in his ass and Vengeance would reassess the alliance if all they had was a few short months between breeding seasons. 

Involve what? The slaying of the young? Another who was sensitive toward the subject of the young. Were all packs so protective over the youth? Or was it just hers she was concerned about, that would be far more understanding. If you're worried about the young of Nightwalkers or Moonspear wolves, there is no concern needed; but, I hold no guarantee for those not protected by our alliance. A contract will be honored if held against any other pack, or lone wolf. Pup or not. He had no secret to hold in regard to that. Should it break their new alliance, then so be it. 

He was certain she would rather know now than word of mouth should such a job come their way in the future.

Find us in the Haunted Woods should you wish to speak with me again. With that, the behemoth continued on his previous path through the wet firefly glen. Further to inspect the lands - he would remind himself later to inspect Moonspear, to send a scout to find out more about them by others. For now, it was a large step for the nearly formed Nightwalkers.