Mudminnow River encrypted page
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
All Welcome 
It had been nearly a moon now, but she had settled well back into the routine of a ranging lifestyle and took readily to the road ahead. For what felt like the first time in a long time, a tumultuous and busy year happened to be winding down enough to grant her these freedoms once more. Matters at Shikkotsurin certainly could function without her for the time and each of her young had reached their first milestones to make them into Eizokusei scouts of their own--once they had each been dispatched to their next stops to train further towards the next steps, she had suddenly had little to bank on her except her abilities, and what she was best at. It had been the natural choice for her to take off and go.

While it was too soon for even a keen scout like her to recognize the Teekon's specifically, she was tracking a muddied river towards the west and could see the mountain range on the horizon. It pinged as vaguely familiar enough to spark an interest, so she kept going, unassuming as she jogged along the most-worn pathway the lands suggested for her paws.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Her trips outside the territory rarely felt successful.  Hunts got distracted, attempts to recruit ended up finding nobody.  That was life, was it not?  Unfortunately.  Maybe it was somehow it was Liffey and Rannoch's choices continuing to poison the metaphorical well.  It was silly to think that they even would have the power, it was the kind of silly belief that a pup might have.  No wolves had power over such things, even if they might wish to.

Her steps were quick as she tracked a rabbit that had wove its way along the shore.  If she at least could catch that and bring it back to feed the growing pups perhaps she could break whatever silly jinx seemed to lurk above her head.  Not that she believed it, but to simply prove that it didn't exist in the first place.  Someone was coming from the opposite direction.  Hm.  The trail of the rabbit became a secondary thing, and as she got closer she whuffed to them.

Then closer so she could greet them properly.  Pause. I know you?  She couldn't quite shake the fact that they might have crossed paths somewhere in the past.  Long enough ago that she couldn't place a name or a location, but the hazy memory of her face and scent didn't seem like a total stranger.  Maybe she was wrong, but Arbiter was usually good about such things.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Her travels carried her on, utterly uneventful until the much larger wolf sought out her attention. Jomyo slowed herself, watching the other come nearer and with this brief span of time, she was guarding herself too. That suited her fine, so she pulled to stop eventually with her posture appearing more slack than it was. Hm. Maybe you do, she replied, and was being fairly casual about the whole idea as she looked the other female over, trying to place her but coming up short too. There was something distantly familiar somewhere, but she had no name, no allegiance, and no real recollection to help serve despite her efforts. She liked to think she would have remembered if they were packmates once, at least. Can't say I can match a name to you, though. I have crossed a lot of paths in my time--as a scout, mostly, she added--not as some completely aimless wanderer felt worth the clarification then.

But, it did add up--the range on the horizon's familiarity was likely not some illusion now, so it was time for her to find out more to see if she was onto something. You live nearby? she asked, testing that much.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
So if neither of them knew the details, then where did she know her from?  If she'd been a pack member, certainly Arbiter would have remembered.  So who would have been tangentially related to the pack?  Maybe she was just somehow a combination of a few wolves she knew?  Oh well, whatever.  As much as it was going to nag at her in the back of her mind, it was better to focus on the present.

Though she was still fairly sure that they'd crossed paths, Arbiter wasn't the sort to go and verbalize her assumptions before she could be sure of their accuracy.  She wanted a few more clues first.  I'm Arbiter.  And yes.  Where the creek meets the forest, Lost Creek Hollow.  She pointed with her nose.  Then back to the other woman, And you are..?  At least if she had a familiar name, she could solve that mystery very quick.  Of course, her own name would be very unlikely to trigger a spark of recognition simply because she only revealed it a few months back.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Even with the name to go to her appearance, it didn't particularly inspire anything familiar for the Eizokusei, but even hearing Lost Creek Hollow sounded vaguely familiar still too--a bit more than Arbiter did, even. It wasn't anything she could place yet, but another little hint towards her guess that she had begun to range back into the Teekons. I'm Jomyo, she answered with a slight tip to her muzzle. Likely, her name wouldn't mean a whole lot either because she had been the sort to fly a bit below the radar--if she could help it.

But, after she followed Arbiter's gesture towards the river, she panned her sights briefly to the ridge of mountains in the distance. She had memorized the peaks during Tindómë's brief stay nestled within the vale.. but this was not from the vantage point she was used to seeing them. It's been a while since I've been in the area--that is the Sunspire range, right? she asked, since this Creek wolf didn't seem like the worst company she could come upon so far.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Unfortunately not a name that she remembered.  Probably a good thing because it meant that if their paths overlapped she hadn't gone out of her way to cause any trouble and get noticed.  There were some -- like Redshank -- who had managed to screw up so badly that there was no way she'd forget who they were.

Arbiter nodded.  Yes.  Do you know a pack there? Knew?  I think all the packs that were there when i arrived in the Wilds are now gone or moved, including mine.  Elysium and Diaspora were the only ones that remained as far as she knew, and neither rated very high in Arbiter's opinion but for very different reasons.  Selfishly she did wish that neither of them were Jomyo's target -- if she was seeking any pack, let it be anyone else out there.  Okay, maybe not Moonspear either, she was kinda salty at them too.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
With that bit of confirmation that she got about the mountains, she could now plan forward with more tact than before. It was good to feel her suspicions satisfied, too. Knew. One I ran with once claimed a valley there, but it's long dissolved and we came from a forest much further south before that. In the grand scheme, the vale had not been a long portion of the morwinyon's story.

I'm not surprised most other are gone by now, the scout supposed. Delight and a few others had gone north, so she wondered if they were still there, or if time had ebbed on elsewhere for any of those folk she had once known. Right now for me, it is a good heading to have more than anything else.. to think about what next, too.. she said as she focused mainly back on Arbiter. But I don't expect much of anyone I knew to still be around.. she mentioned. Things had largely been on a decline for many of her acquaintances; it had been best for them to move onward a lot like she had--most likely. But who knew? Maybe she could be proven wrong. There were a few places she hoped to pass by if she was going to be in the vague area, anyway. So do you know of many in the mountains now? the Eizokusei asked.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Blink. Hm.  Okay, the name of the pack that was there about the same time as Sunspire was totally escaping her.  Began with a T.  Not a normal word.  Obviously she hadn't been among the idiots who tried to settle there after, though.  We started on Sunspire itself. Arbiter offered.  Perhaps  that could put a few of the small pieces together?  And assuming she hadn't been a hanger-on to the idiot-crew, then perhaps she'd be comfortable making an offer, just in case.  She wasn't desperate enough to invite them (and she was still happy they were gone).

The two packs I know are Diaspora and Elysium.  I question Diaspora's leadership -- the one I met had an ego the size of the whole range and absurd choices to match.  Elysium is a sanctuary of sorts -- not my sort of thing, but at least they're predictable allies.  Probably about due to check in on them.  But with numbers lowish.. Ugh.  If anyone else has started a pack there, we don't know them -- oh, and there's another pack at a creek in the foothills, but I can't say I know them well, but they've been there ages.  Had she met any of them recently?  Hm.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Hearing they claimed the Sunspire itself once was certainly worth a note. She couldn't decide if that really put them in much actual proximity once, or if it was going to be of any use to connect those dots formally. Jomyo had been out a lot when they had only briefly nestled their small band in Northstar Vale, and it was very old news by now anyway. Tindómë had a short stay at the Northstar Vale. But like I said, that was a while ago. We dissolved and all scattered our own ways, and the way in which she spoke about it suggested she didn't have a lot to say or feel on the matter; it had been another curious stop along the road she walked.

From there, Jomyo was much more keen to find out more of the current pack situations, which she knew nothing about except for this much given now. The reviews seemed to come earnestly, and something about the bluntness could appeal to her need to know how it really was, so she nodded slow and thoughtful. I see, she said. So do you check in often? Are your allies close like that? she asked with a bit of interest--a side-effect of all her scouting around probably. She had been around long enough to know some packs valued that far more than others, while there always seemed to be some measure of necessity in it for good graces if they were near enough to force it. Shikkotsurin had upheld their share of such vague relationships during all of her times there (at least with the packs that were able to withstand a season or two long enough to even be worth it), so she had long grown accustomed to it--the pros and cons of neighbors, really.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Aha.  There we go, a bit of confirmation that put the pieces together, and that did seem to show across her features.  So, not one of the idiots.  It made sense why she was vaguely familiar, close enough to have crossed paths when it came to scents, possibly passed at a distance.  Things like that.

Don't know about the majority, but I know Delight should be over at Elysium, not that she knew that he'd changed his name and died in the meantime.  Again, overdue for a visit.  And we have been, up 'til recently.  Some things have changed recently, so I'm not sure who'll be the one tasked with checking in.  So if you don't want to wander without a reason, we've got plenty of need for a scout and messenger and that sort of thing.  She grinned faintly at that.  Sure, it was an offer, but Arbiter didn't necessarily expect someone who admitted to wandering so much to settle down at what was basically the drop of a hat.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
She tipped a cinnamon-backed ear at the mention of the last morwinyon, and perhaps one of the first few of her former packmates that she would care to see again here and now. How convenient that Arbiter would know a note about him, first of all. That certainly added that place to her vague list of places to see to soon, not that she personally had actual business there.

But upon catching an offer such as that one, she had more to find out in response first. Jomyo first replied with a knowing nod, and wondered what the situation was like for her be pinned as after this brief introduction. Maybe it could play to her favor right now, she supposed--not that her other business was pressing, or anything she couldn't manage from a central point out here for a while.

Most of all, it was what she had been raised to do, and functioned quite happily as most days. She didn't really imagine anything else for her, anyway. I never intend to be a permanent fixture anywhere I am, but I know I have nowhere else to focus on in particular at least until spring. Maybe longer. But, if that wouldn't shy your interest..? she replied with a quirk to a brow to say she was interested in considering it back. If Arbiter questioned where it was her loyalty would pull, so be it, but she was more than able to fill the need of a scout and messenger--at least for now, assuming the pack was not full of complete wretches with a barren claim of course.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Honestly, after what had happened she'd take a wolf with an expiration date over one that pledged their undying loyalty and then fled off unexpectedly.  And Jomyo would be staying through the hardest part of the year...  Would that not be good for them both?  So she brought it up.  Wouldn't staying through the winter be a benefit to all involved?  You can sleep soundly, and all of us benefit from larger groups to hunt with... As long as you stay through to spring, I don't have a problem with it -- and certainly wouldn't mind if you changed your mind on leaving after.  It was said with some humor.  No risk pushing it.  Seem agreeable?

But regardless of her confirmation or lack thereof, Is there anything in particular you'd be looking for -- for the longer term, out of curiosity? It would probably be a better sense of who Jomyo really was besides someone who could fill an empty gap in their roster.  Short term?  Probably anyone who wasn't completely off their rocker would do, but if Arbiter was to see how things fit together long-term, she'd need time and information to pull strings.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Levelly, she listened--and early on, it did not seem that Arbiter would balk at the fact that her loyalty was not always exclusive or everlasting in one spot. Not necessarily.. but it could be, for a time at least until it needed to be elsewhere. Jomyo had always been upfront about this when spending any span of time anywhere, aligning with anyone, and while winter was not yet a major concern of hers (the nights weren't that long yet and she'd chanced worse).. this seemed like a good opportunity to simply bypass these worries. And, she could stand to roam the Teekons again in the meantime after being gone for nearly a year. It was familiar enough, yet still with a lot of places she had barely passed over. It does, she eventually answered after her pause for thought.

No, nothing I am looking for exactly, because technically, far away, I have it elsewhere. she shook her head. It wasn't easy to explain outright, not without fully knowing the experiences of who she spoke to. My homeland trained me for this, though if they call, I answer thanks to that. Not that they are that needy--it's more of a just in case, because I have lived here and there almost my entire life.. since she defaulted to some sort of ambassador with extended freedoms, perhaps, without other plans to cement her. Right now I've just come from there, and only have some messages to deliver if I ever come upon their rightful ears, and they're nothing urgent. the scout explained and watched to see if her offer into the Creek still stood post-details. Being frank, she had time to kill; her kids had flown the nest, and she went on now without obligation.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
There was a certain amount to which Arbiter couldn't relate.  She wouldn't ever head back to the pack where she was born.  If things failed here and she was forced to head to greener pastures, they would not be in her homeland, they would be of a new place of her choosing, but at this point she hoped it wouldn't be alone.  She had her own family, and they could go wherever they wished.  Very well. If it calls you back, you let us know you'll be going.  It would be easier on them all.  No vanishing into the night, no wondering if someone was gone only to have them show up again.  Direct information was easier, even if it was brief, but at least it would thus be expected.

She pointed her nose back to the forest.  Then come back to the forest and rest.  Learn your way around our home, and soon enough I'd imagine you'll be out on the road again.  Probably to Elysium, first off.  Man, she was happy that she didn't have to go and make that jaunt.  The next question was whether she had to go to Moonspear at some point.  The longer time passed from that date, the less Arbiter was particularly interested.  But they were also allies...  Eh.  Leave it up to Terance on that one.  A pause, Unless you want to walk a bit more first, in which case I'll make sure you won't have a too-toothy welcome from some over-eager junior guardians.  Okay, Spook wasn't gonna be an issue, but Brou and Pike might like the experience of hunting someone down who wasn't afraid for a reasonable reason.  She could see it happening at some point, it just hadn't happened yet.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
That was really all she could ask for, and the acceptance was good enough for her. Of course. Jomyo agreed, nose tipping down to the ground in a quick gesture. Thankfully she did doubt it being the case any sooner than she supposed, or by the time she would be off to elsewhere anyway if it didn't suit her. She knew the approach to life like her own didn't sound orthodox to all, but that was why she was up front about it when making for comrades that might last for more than a week or two. It was just how it was for her, without aspirations for anything in particular higher than that, and comfortable with that fallback even if she was reducible to just another stepping stone in the story of her homelands. In the meantime, she got to roam, see many places, and the creatures among them. Her needs were met as this.

Anyway, she gauged the hour for a beat then decided: Lead the way back? I would like to see it while there's still daylight, she mimicked Arbiter's point towards the woods. And let me know anything else I should know, in the meantime? Elysium will be the heading next time I set out, Jomyo said. On the way to the creekside, she could still feel out more about the pack, its folk, and what other use she may wiggle her way in to; after that, then she would head her way towards Elysium, hopefully.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Sorry, been a busy few weeks here!  Shall we wrap this up?

She pointed her nose towards the forest and started walking that way, signaling Jomyo to come along.  Yes, I can give you a rundown of who you'll likely run across back at the pack.  And answer any questions you have that I might have the answer for.  She might not be able to name every wolf in the region, but she could at least pass along who all (that she knew of) was at Elysium and that sort of thing.  Preemptive message about Rannoch bailing in case she ran across someone in the short term?  You know, stuff like that.

Easthollow are our other close allies, but they're right next to us... Others would be much farther afield -- I'll have to talk to Terance about them.  A while ago he thought I should go meet them.  I don't know if we still wanted to do so.  Arbiter sure didn't sound like she was too excited to do so.  She still hadn't liked the message he'd returned with, but at the time... Well, perhaps they'd been scared when they hadn't needed to be?  Hm.  Time would tell.  There was always the option to go over stuff behind the scenes, so... Infodump possibly!  Or not.  Whichever!
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
yaaa i'll close it up!
She was content to let it fall into place. Sounds good, she replied, happy for the chance at a good briefing while they killed some distance, and bright enough to suspect it would get to the point. Jomyo would see it all for herself soon, but a prefacing was always appreciated when making that transition in easier. Until then, she aimed to make a point to remember the names she was given now, all to be put to good use later on.

As they went on towards the claim's territory, the scout was content to be mostly ears, though she had a few general bits to collect for herself--anything was good right now. After a good night's rest and maybe a warm meal, she would think on what else to need to know. For now, she had to shift gears into settling in and acquainting herself. So far, given this bit of time spent getting to know them, she had a good feeling about this venture. With little to lose, she had long since decided why not as they approached the place she would soon consider home base.