Blackfeather Woods and keep it all on the inside
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
All Welcome 
set Aug. 4, after this thread

In the days following Parvati's death, Maegi drifted aimlessly, sleeplessly, through the woods. Much like Mou had been, she was little more than a ghost, staring into space. She kept moving, wary that the strange cocktail of guilt, anger, and satisfaction would assail her once more if she halted. It was much better to keep going. It was much better to feel nothing.

'Round and 'round the borders she went today, a silent sentinel. Marking here and there, freshening her own stale scent and bolstering that of the other guardians of Blackfeather. None would trespass here if they valued their lives. This was a place of refuge for those who respected the gods—and a tomb for those who did not.

How would have Ramsay reacted to the woman's demise? He had sired her pups, after all. But she had never seen her brother exhibit much love toward the woman, nor really his children, and he had vanished without word. Perhaps he had despised her, too. . .enough to leave his home behind.

She was dead. Her body rotting, her soul in the Void. And while Maegi relished her absence, a small part of her was aware that what she had done would haunt her for a long while—if not right up until the moment of her own death.

Forgive me, Peryite, for I have sinned.

But was it truly a sin if the perpetrator felt no remorse?
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
She may have been quick on her large paws but she was by no means graceful. Clumsy as she ambled over roots and nooks to gain on the trail of Maegi's scent. A neediness burned with passion in her chest. Desperate for time with her other (Anansi, of course, being the first) ghost. She would not be left behind today. Wolfskull was no good to her anymore when more sprawled outside of its grasps.

The heaviness of everything that had conspired in these woods within the last rise of the sun had not yet settled upon the young Melonii brood. At least, not this one.

Paling eyes found a familiar splash of white against the dark trees. The child did not miss a beat as she aimed to near Nona's hip, careful to not bump her or seem too aggressive. This was not one of her brothers with a need for tussling upon arrival.

Ma.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Sakhmet was not the most quiet of trackers, and Maegi knew she was coming from a little ways away—but still kept up the appearance of being surprised when the dark-pelted girl appeared at her side, eyes glittering as she smiled. Tala, she cooed, slowing her pace to gently groom the sleek fur between her daughter's ears.

She was growing too fast. They all were. Sobek was scarce as anything, which worried her slightly. Anansi had a little of that scarcity, too. Each of them had the potential to get them into heaps of trouble. Trouble was their birthright. . .but Maegi didn't want it for them. Not now, not ever.

How are you, Sakhmet? she inquired softly, gazing down at the youth. I'm glad to see you today.

Parvati had left her mind in a flash upon seeing her baby girl.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
There was no preventing the whipping of her tail at her mother's coo. Tala she had spoken and it stirred the tenderness in Sakhmet's heart. I'm good. The child whispered as she aimed to bury her face in the plush fur of Maegi's chest. Warmth, comfort, a familiar scent. She would hesitantly pull away before reaching out in an attempt to plant a kiss to her mother's chin. I missed you. The words escaped her in a sheepish manner.

Sakhmet was...tender with her affections. Reserved for those closest to her and not to be witnessed by others. She had a façade to keep up — that she could be just as strong as two brothers.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Maegi wasn't normally one for such close physical affection, but she made an exception for children—and especially her children. Pups needed the most love of all; she'd ingrain it within them from birth, pulling them close, giving them her warmth, in the hopes that they'd take it with them and hold onto it when they found themselves lost, bereft.

I missed you, too, tala, she murmured, feeling a little guilty. She hadn't spent as much time lately with the trio as she should have. Things had been. . .topsy-turvy, to say the least. What have you been up to, Sakhmet? Walk with me, and tell me all about your adventures.

Right now, she had all the time in the world for her baby girl.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Admittedly, Sakhmet was perhaps the least adventurous of the Melonii trio. She did not push limits as much as her brothers did, did not seek out whatever boundaries had been laid for the children. But she did not wish to sound so utterly drab. Watching. Learning. She hummed carefully before she realized that did not sound entirely interesting too. She seemed to lack exciting tales but perhaps she could conjure something. That, uh, lady. She took me to the lesson. The child elaborated, more so to jog her own memory than anything else. I can beat her! I'm real quick! There was no denying the pride that seeped into her words as she flashed a toothy smile to her mother.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Good, good, Maegi mused, almost absently but not. There was a level of pride in her voice that shone through even the wispy tone. Her brow furrowed, trying to remember who Sakhmet was talking about. Lady. . . Oh, Jakoul? she asked half-rhetorically, smiling. One of your leaders, Sakhmet. She helps keep us all safe.

I'm real quick! I bet you are, she said sincerely. She cast a wry, self-deprecatory stare down to her clubbed paw, which she waggled briefly in illustration. You could beat me even if I had a head start. I'm glad you were born whole, tala.

Yeah, fuck you, Potema. And, she supposed, Cicero was to blame as well. But hell, she liked Cicero.

Are you getting along with the rest of the kids? Maegi asked. She didn't think she'd seen Sakhmet play with anyone besides Sobek or Anansi. Again, that came with the territory of not paying as much attention as she ideally would, which brought on another small wave of guilt.