Blackfeather Woods In the middle with the beggars and rejects
s t i g m a t a
440 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Private 
The boy had to know what was up and down in this world. 
He'd almost succumbed to the Void Maegi had spoken of, had witnessed death and eaten the dead. Maegi would be able to answer all his questions.

The boy bounded through the Mire from roots to roots, keeping himself from sinking into the thick, wet ickiness. He made his way towards the Alter where he'd seen the Nona take dead things and where they gathered for a lesson. 
As he neared, he saw the pale figure he sought and a soft spur of joy radiated through him. His head tilted, wandering closer with a softly wagging tail and a chirpy chuff.

"Can you teach me today?" He asked full of hope. So bright for what may be such a dark topic.
| |
One lie is enough to question all truths. 
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
The chirp drew her attention—it wasn't one of her three; she knew their voices nearly as well as her own by now—and she turned to see Rowan approach, looking excited. His query pleased her; she smiled, giving him a brief nod and pausing her work on the cache of herbs tucked neatly between a couple of old, moss-blanketed boulders. She could always resume later.

Of course, Maegi said warmly, settling down on her haunches. Still, still, her curled paw dangled slightly above the ground, above the other. . .but it always would. She had once hoped that maybe she'd grow into it, and her body would become even, but to no avail. She had made her peace with the imperfections of her body, her face, her soul.

What do you want to learn about? she asked, wondering if he had something in mind already or if it was more of a general knowledge session. She was fine with either, truly.
s t i g m a t a
440 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He studied the woman for a moment, realising how different she looked from Tundra when they should look so similar. He didn't think her as wrong or different or imperfect. To him, she was normal. He'd grown up knowing her and she was respected. Always would be.

He grinned, happy she had the time for him.
"Death." Came his simple reply. "What do I do with the dead?"
The question he desperately wanted to know because of his birds. They deserved something other than rotting on the woodland floor, he felt. He treated them as friends and yet they could be commanded. He was already learning to use his own voice to influence them. 
| |
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Oh. Okay. That was. . .not quite what she expected. Then again, hadn't she begged Vaati to teach her about the Void, once upon a time? Sure, there had been an impending war, but kids were always curious. Rowan was as sharp as any child; naturally, he'd want to know.

You mean like the bodies that are left behind? Maegi asked, blinking slowly at the pup. Because souls after death go to the Void, but not bodies. They stay here to rejoin the earth. Peryite takes them.

Perhaps it wasn't quite canon within the Brotherhood lore that Peryite, indeed, was the keeper of dead and decaying bodies. But in Maegi's mind, Peryite was just that, and she would impart that wisdom, however misguided or biased, onto young Rowan. It was all she knew to do in this moment.

When bodies are dead, they rot, she continued. Peryite is lord of decay; Peryite will take them down into the earth when they've disintegrated into nothing. That happened with my boys, she murmured, a sudden lump in her throat. Nirgali and Ninazu. They joined Peryite quite early.

With a small cough, ducking her chin a little bit, she continued, glancing toward the rough direction of Nightcaller Temple. Bring the body to the place where we met the other day, Maegi explained. Lay it down by the Altar as a tribute to Peryite. Peryite will reward you in some way, I'm sure.
s t i g m a t a
440 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
The boy nodded when she questioned his, willing her to continue as she did. 
Her information was very valuable to the boy. He could now honour his friends and followers when they left the world to go to the void. And to hear Peryite would like to take their bodies, in turn rewarding him for his service, only fueled him to do so.

But her murmuring that held the same pain his Mother did at the grave of his unknown sister. He knew now why his Mother was so sad there. Her brother too. It was a loss that caused this kind of sadness in one.
"They are with Peryite now." At least, from what he could understand. Little did he know that Maegi's name was also Peryite. Perhaps he'd be able to better console her if he knew. They'd always be with her, in her heart and mind and spirit. Even if they were not real.

"What about souls? Does Sithis look after them?" His head canted slightly, inquisitive still.
| |
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
The boy's words brought unexpected tears to her eyes, a brief glimmer that she blinked away quickly. Not that she cared if he noticed. . .but it wouldn't do, here. She was the teacher and he the pupil; they were engaged in something far greater than her grief. Something far greater than either of them.

I. . .don't know, actually, Maegi responded, shifting a little awkwardly. I'm afraid I don't know as much about Sithis as I do about Peryite. (Or thought she knew, at least.) I know he looks after—no, he is the Void, and the Void is Sithis, and that's where souls go after death. So I guess. . .

She lifted her chin, giving Rowan an inquisitive look. What do you think? she asked. What does your own intuition tell you? He was a bright child, sensitive to the spirits here. She knew Sithis would give him the answer one way or another.
s t i g m a t a
440 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
His teacher seemed uncertain.
He tilted his head as if he could pluck answers from he rmind but, alas, he couldn't. So she asked him what he thought.
Was that what the Daedra really were? Thoughts inside one's head, given personalities and roles in a fantastical land which the mind can animate into beliefs? 
Was religion a perspective, nothing more?

It was all a mere wisp of a thought that floated through his mind and did not cloud his judgment or trust in Maegi. But it was the seed for his own independence, should it ever have light shone upon it and water fed to it.
"I think Sithis eats souls and that's how he lives." No one could really know how Rowan got to the conclusion. But perhaps there may be truth in his idea. If souls were spirits, then spirits were life after death that had not been eaten.
So Sithis lived on the souls, right?
That's probably what he thought.
And what he'd believe because Maegi had no clue.
Of course, he didn't know if the Void was living, dead, or nothing. No one did.
| |
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She blinked, fascinated. That's interesting, she murmured, lips pursed as she contemplated the notion. And certainly gives purpose to death, to the Void. Sithis, eater of souls. She remembered Hela's question at the group lesson, about having her own god. She wondered if Rowan wanted the same.

Sithis. It had been Mou's chosen god. Her relationship with the Dread Father was, thus, complicated. But given that this boy seemed so in tune with the idea of death, of the Void. . .

Do you think you may find Sithis to be your own guiding force? Maegi asked. Worship him above others, take him as a name? Rowan Sithis. . .well, what was Moonshadow's surname? They didn't have a father, at least not one to give them a legacy. She would be fine with the woman taking Melonii, or even Blackfeather. Moonshadow and her brood were as much family as her own children.
s t i g m a t a
440 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He nodded, thinking about what he'd said. The words seemed to just flow from him like it took no thought. 

Her question brought his thoughts to the present with a soft tilt of an ear. Death, a guiding force? He did want to grow up to be a mercenary but...to kill in the name of Sithis?
"Maybe." He'd have to think about it.
"But I am an Asenda-Blackfeather." He didn't need to be Sithis, to call himself in deaths name. He would not be a mercenary so vain as to do so. Unless one day he goes a bit crazy or wants to hide his true identity. But who knows, that's the future he doesn't know yet.
| |
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She couldn't help but smile at his obvious pride in his name. It's a fine name, Rowan, Maegi replied, happy that Moonshadow had, indeed, taken on the forest's name. Miryam remembered speaking with Alyssa about it once upon a time but can't recall for the life of her if they ever hashed it out IC. Probably. Meep.

Is there anything else you'd like to know about death? she asked, cocking her head ever so slightly to the side, coaxing him into any further thoughts he might have. The boy was smart, and she enjoyed talking to him. Even if he wasn't all the way in-tune with the daedra, he had the brains to make up for it. She gave him an apologetic look. I don't know everything, though. . .but I've seen my fair share of wolves die.

Miraak—bless you, uncle, wherever you are. And the poor young mother on the island. . . Lainie. . .

Bile rose suddenly up in her throat at the thought and she choked it down, shuddering. She tasted, quite suddenly, sea salt—sea salt and daffodil.
s t i g m a t a
440 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He grinned, glad she was proud of his name too. It was his Family and it showed he was part of the woods, he was a guardian of the trees here. Or at least would grow up to be so.

She prompted him to ask more, but he was sure that was all he had to ask; for now at least. Then she said she'd seen many wolves die. His gaze turned questioning, but then realised she was probably talking about her children. Besides, she was thick with emotion -- he could feel it in the air -- and didn't want to press her more. He didn't like seeing others cry.
He shook his head, "No." 

Then he remembered his manners, "Thank you Maegi." He grinned, his tail stirring with happiness.
| |
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Very well, Maegi murmured, smiling. You're welcome, Rowan. I'm happy to share whatever you'd like to know, even if I don't know all of it, myself. The smile turned, suddenly, to a grin—a rare expression for Maegi. That's when I pretend to know things, she added wryly, and would have winked if it had been at all natural for her to do so.

Instead, she saw the pup off after fielding any more questions he might have, and then returned to her herbs. The aroma brought her immediately back into the world of plants, so far—and, yet, so connected—to the sphere of the daedra.

Peryite, my lord, my god, she whispered, chuckling a little, guide that boy's mind. Don't let it go to waste.