Fox's Glade and who shall wear the starry crown?
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Private 
for @Kove and those tagged only -- afternoon of September 5

No luck in the mountains, it seemed. She felt the weight of her failure drag on her with each step, the three of them spilling into the valley. It was so much brighter out here than the forest; Maegi wondered how her shadow-born children were handling the abundance of light, and of open space. It surely had thrown her when she had first traveled outside her home.

That was partially why she entered the glade, immediately a little more at ease when the shade cloaked them all. The smell of foxes was particularly thick here, as well as assorted wolves. Maegi and @Sakhmet and @Anansi had walked a bit farther when she felt a jolt of realization, the ghost of blood-taste in her mouth and a searing pain across her lips —

She'd been here before.

I was found here after my troubles in the mountains by a woman, Maegi murmured, looking around almost warily at their surroundings. She'd halted abruptly at the flashback, and now stood square in a small clearing, bristling slightly. She helped me. I was almost too scared to be helped, at that point. . .but she gave me food and kindness, and took me back to her home.

She pursed her lips, letting out a contemplative hmmm. I wonder where she is now, she thought aloud, not staring at anything in particular before her. Nothing of existence in this moment, anyway.
you are an artist and your heart is your masterpiece
46 Posts
Ooc —
After yet another exhausting day of travel, all that Anansi wanted to do was curl up and sleep when they reached the shadowy forest, even though it wasn't time for sleeping yet. When Maegi came to a sudden halt, the boy collapsed by the roots of the nearest tree, panting heavily in the thin mountainous air and drooping his head low over his paws. He was desperate to find Sobek so they could return home, and each day that they travelled on without finding him worse small, weak Anansi down and made him more desperate.

Which made him look harder as they walked, so it was fortunate in at least one way.

When he finally found his breath again, Anansi peered up at Maegi and asked, why did she help you? Shouldn't you only help your own? Maybe she would be disappointed to learn that her smallest son thought that way, but he was just naive and young, and felt more strongly for his family than anyone else in the world.
Thread titles from I'll Keep You Safe by Sleeping At Last.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
sorry for the wait! i totally misread and thought you wanted the puppers to post before kove. my bad!!

While the trio travelled a great distance to reach this point in their journey, Kove hardly went far from his new home. He had travelled a great deal in his youth already, as well as throughout his adulthood, and he was finally ready to settle down. Not only could his body no longer handle long treks but his mind no longer yearned for the thrill of new sights. He stuck close to home, oftentimes occupying his time by settling at the base of the Mother Stone. Today, however, he found himself drifting out beyond Easthollow’s claim.

The elder’s wanderings deposited him into the shaded depths of the glade, an area that he knew well, having lived near to it before. Now it was usually nothing more than a collection of trees in the distance, standing tall within the valley. Yet today it drew him in, a ghost drifting through the shadows.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
no worries! <3

Anansi's question drew a smile from her; it was something she would have asked at his age. Hell, it was something she might ask now. She liked to think that she would have been as generous as Indra in that situation, especially toward an injured child. . .it depended on the scenario, and all variables within. Things were more complicated than they appeared at first glance.

Only if helping others gets in the way of helping your own, Maegi decided after a moment of silence. Children are especially vulnerable; I think they should be protected before anyone else. I'm glad she decided to help me.

She was about to reminisce further on the situation when her ears picked up the sound of nearby movement, and her eyes caught a glimpse of something pale within the shade. Who's there? she barked, tone changing in a flash from soft and kind to one of stern authority. Wreathed as everything was in the reek of foxes, she couldn't pick out any distinct scent—it could be anyone or anything, slipping through the trees and headed in their direction.

Maegi drew close to Sakhmet and Anansi, eyes glittering bright in challenge as they scanned the area.
46 Posts
Ooc —
Anansi understood what ena meant, but couldn't help continuing, should you still help others even if you don't get anything for it? Why? Don't get me wrong, Anansi was one hundred and fifty percent grateful that some wolf had helped ena when she was young. He would be two hundred percent grateful to any wolf who helped Sobek or Sakhmet, or even him if he was in trouble. But what did the helpers get in return? Somehow, the boy with little empathy would find it difficult to understand doing something simply for the good of it, to make your heart happy, and all that jazz.

Maegi's grey ears shot up and Anansi's followed, flinching only a little when ena barked out a sharp question. Unlike his adoptive mother, Anansi hadn't seen anything, and even now naively overlooked the bright flashes of pale fur in the shadows. He wasn't yet equipped for picking out assassins in the dark.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
That he did not wander those woods alone was not something to immediately strike him. His senses were overwhelmed by the musk of the foxes that inhabit the area, drowning him in an odour that taunted him. Only moments prior to a feminine voice reaching his ears did he realise that more scents were there to be found, mixed within that of the vulpine. The discovery of their scents was then followed by visual confirmation, although he couldn’t quite believe his eyes.

Kove stared from the shadows for an extra long minute or so, wondering if he was seeing correctly. But when she did not disappear and her face did not morph into someone else, he was convinced—he knew this girl, her face burned into his brain. “Maegi,” he said first, revealing himself as he tore away from the darkness. “Look at how you’ve grown.” He noticed the child, who he assumed was her own. Had it really been that long, that his young apprentice could bear her own offspring? It seemed surreal.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Things progressed so quickly that she didn't have time to think of Anansi's question. She would answer it, eventually, but not now. For as the pale shape emerged from the brush and took form, and shock overcame her, the answer slipped away. Everything, for a moment, seemed to slip away.

Kove, Maegi breathed, and the word stole whatever breath she had left; her vision blurred as sudden tears welled, stinging the corners of her eyes. She swallowed, desperately trying to compose herself in front of her old mentor. Her old friend. Family, as far as she was concerned. Silence, for another few heartbeats, and then—

I thought I'd never see you again, she continued, shaking her head in disbelief. She'd dared to dream a few times, but even then. . .the chance of finding him after everyone had scattered—but hadn't Ramsay come back? Still— I. . .but here you are. Here we are.

Maegi remembered, with a jolt, that they were not alone, either. Um, this is Sakhmet and Anansi, she said, dipping her muzzle at each of them in turn. My children. She sought out the pups' gaze, face still awestruck. This is Kove, she introduced the elder, her mouth beginning to widen in a flabbergasted grin. He taught me so much when I was your age. . .no, even younger than you are now.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Tiredness gripped her ever fiber, wishing so desperately to go find somewhere to curl up for a nap. While her family talked she blankly took in their surroundings almost as though she were sleeping walking. Although when her mother's tone grew sharp she seemed to blink some consciousness into her mind. Eventually things unfolded in an interesting way.

There was a man. There was recognition between her mother and the man. Then introductions.

This man had been some sort of teacher to her mother, or so it seemed. Hi. She tiredly called out to the pale man. Kove? She thought that was the name that had been passed around. Her whip-like tail slowly swayed behind her ruddy form to show that despite her meekness, she was not unwelcoming of his presence.
46 Posts
Ooc —
Gonna pull out of this one since Anansi died. :( He can be PP'd as needed here!

Luckily their company didn't take his time to show himself. A broad white wolf emerged from the shadows, and even from here and at his young age, Anansi could tell the man was old. There was a haggard and tired quality to him that even the youngest of children could probably pick out. This made Kove a curiosity to Anansi, who had never met an old wolf in his life.

He was even more a curiosity because he was ena's old teacher. A former Blackfeather Woods wolf, then. Anansi wondered if Kove was also a Melonii, but he didn't ask. It wouldn't be becoming of him. Instead, he also said a quiet, hi, when Sakhmet did and settled in alongside ena to silently observe their exchange.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
From the moment she spoke his name, Kove knew that this was not a fantasy. His young apprentice, now an adult, was truly there before him. He drew in a deep breath, which escaped him slowly seconds later, released by the growing smile on his lips. How long had it been now? Much too long—far longer than he had ever planned.

“I always meant to come back and see you,” he assured her. “But… travelling is not as easy for me as it once was, I’m afraid.” He was ashamed to admit it, especially to her. He had taken the girl under his wing, had taken on the responsibility of watching over her—and then he’d gone and abandoned that post, leaving her all alone. “I’m sorry, Maegi,” he said, the smile having since faded, replaced by unmasked regret. “It should not have taken this long for us to meet again.” He took full responsibility for it, too; although he understood the limits of an aging body, that did not make him any more accepting of it.

Thankfully, some twist of fate had brought them together again anyways. Only now the child he once knew was an adult, with children of her own to teach and watch grow. When she introduced them, he smiled, admiring their calmness. “Hello,” he returned before looking back to their mother. “They’re lucky to have such a strong mother.” He hoped that his dear granddaughter would take after Maegi; she had endured so much in life and yet, there she was, still well and now raising her own children.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Maybe at one time, she would have held resentment against Kove for not returning. When they'd both been younger, perhaps. But he had aged greatly since she last had seen him. The journey here had been hard enough on the young trio; she could only imagine the effects it would have on the elder. 

Instead, Maegi smiled at the children's brief hellos and shook her head. Please don't be sorry, she insisted softly. We're here together now. That's a blessing. The most unexpected of blessings, really. 

Her nostrils flared as she explored the scents that layered his pelt, most if not all of them unfamiliar. Do you live around here now? Maegi asked. What made you decide to stay on this side of the mountains?

She wondered if he'd tried to go home, his old home, to the far north. Maybe that was too far for him to travel. Maegi couldn't imagine the place he had described was anywhere close to here; constant ice and snow seemed foreign, alien, another world.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
There was no anger within her tone when she responded, reminding him of just how different the young Melonii had always been. Many of those within her family would have laid him out right there and then, angered by the traitorous act that was leaving the woods behind. But not Maegi, never Maegi. Even as a little girl, her way of thinking had always been far more advanced, far more understanding, than those that had come before her. Perhaps she was the one that they had needed all along to set things right.

“It is,” he agreed. “I am so glad to see you again.” His young apprentice—how she had grown! A mother and mentor to her own children now, too. Looking upon her and the family she’d made for herself, he was proud. Proud of the woman she’d become despite her past, and proud of her ability to keep moving forward. A wonder, if he ever did see one.

When asked about his new place of residence, he said, “I do. I am staying at Easthollow now, with my daughter and her family.” His family, his grandchildren. “I hadn’t planned on staying. I was only going to visit a valley that I once lived in, where I was told another pack had taken up residence. But…” He smiled as he thought back. “While there, I met my granddaughter instead of another pack,” he explained. “She invited me back to her pack and her mother, my daughter, decided that I could stay. It wasn’t something I’d ever planned for but I couldn’t refuse.” For so long he had been away from his family, separated from those in the north and estranged from the majority of his children. That he had been given the opportunity to reunite and reconnect with them was an offer that he could not refuse—it was something he had wanted for so long.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She was tempted to cut into his speech at intervals, but didn't. Some of the things he spoke of were familiar—like the valley. Bearclaw Valley? They'd spoken of it once before, but she wasn't sure whether he'd lived in other valleys or not. He'd given her a detailed run-down of his family history, and Maegi was so over the moon that Kove had been reunited with them.

I'm really happy you're with your daughter and your grandchildren, she said sincerely. If she had arms, she'd cuddle her own children closer, just to use up some of the love she found coursing madly through her veins in the moment. Family is important. I hope all continues to go well for you.

The well wishes, though, did remind her of what she was sorely missing. Her smile faded and her eyes grew concerned. I'm missing one of my children, Kove, she explained. She briefly, gently touched her nose to Sakhmet's cheek. Sobek, twin brother to Sakhmet. He's been gone now for. . .I don't really know how long. A quarter moon, maybe even half. Have you seen any pups around?

Surely he'd have noted the resemblance between the twins if he had? Still, even if Kove hadn't seen Sobek, perhaps someone else in Easthollow had. He could pass the message on. She had to try, and she knew Kove, beyond nearly anyone, would be willing to help her.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
She spoke words of happiness, at which he smiled; he found himself happy to be where he was, to have reached a point in his life now where he felt at ease. There were no serpents lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike—it was only his family now, those he cared deeply for and knew he could trust to let his guard down around. No longer was he trapped between worlds, a priest unbelieving of the religion he was supposed to teach, instead now he was himself. Unchained from the shadows and free, now, to live life beneath the soft glow of the sunlight; he felt better, confident again—and the decreased ache in his joints was a noticeable improvement, although he would never be as comfortable in his skin as he was in his youth.

“I hope all goes well for you, too, Maegi,” he returned. “You deserve all that is good in this world.” It would never even the scales after all she had gone through but it would be a start, at least—or perhaps not, as more ill news spilled from her lips, another stone cast at his poor, dear apprentice: a missing child.

“I have not seen any,” he replied with a frown. Had she not gone through enough, and now a child of hers was missing? The poor girl. “But I will keep an eye out,” he continued. “If I find him, I will return him to you myself.” He wondered, though, just how far the child could have gone that his family was now northbound. “I will share the news with those back home, too.” Surely they would help, or at least keep an eye out, too, for any wayward children.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Thank you, she murmured, grateful for his support. She didn't necessarily agree with the conclusion that she deserved all the good in the world, but would take it, nonetheless. It certainly would make things easier. Hopefully he'll find his way back on his own. We still haven't picked up his scent. . .

Maegi sighed, shaking her head. We're exhausted, Kove, she went on, loath to end the conversation—but her eyelids were beginning to droop, and her children looked remarkably tired as well. Is this place safe to bed down for a while? The scent of foxes was particularly strong, but there was plenty of wolf-smell, too.

Friend, or foe? Hopefully, even if this Easthollow harbored any ill-will toward Blackfeather wolves (not of their kin, anyway), Kove could smooth that over. If they knew he was from Blackfeather Woods at all, anyway.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Truth be told, it was concerning, the news of a scent having yet to be found. He worried about the child, although he did not know him personally, and wished him a safe return home. He was disappointed that he could not be of more use, that he could not travel the wilds in search of the boy, but he would still do his part to try and reunite the young family.

The concern felt was not voiced more than what he already said, nor was it questioned further. She spoke of her exhaustion instead, to which he answered, “Yes, it is safe.” Foxes lurked within the territory but, from what he observed, rarely did they try to instigate anything with the local wolves. “I will keep watch while you rest,” he told her, leaving no room for discussion; this was not something he was willing to negotiate. Kove had left her on her own once already, he was not about to do it again. Besides, he would feel better knowing that they were being watched over whilst resting, given the unfamiliarity of the area.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She felt like a child, again, and for once, she didn't resent that feeling. Kove's presence, his voice, brought her back to a time when everything was right. She was able to relax under his watchful gaze, hoping her children could do the same. The Melonii nodded gratefully to him, giving him a smile that reached both eyes and heart.

Thank you for everything, she said quietly, fervently, meaning every syllable. Seeing you again means more to me than you'll ever know. If he allowed it, she'd step forward briefly, pressing her muzzle into the plush, pale fur of his shoulder, breathing deep.

Then, with tired yet serene expression, Maegi herded her children toward a part of the glade that was quiet and sheltered, and the trio curled up to sleep. All this, but not before she uttered a quiet farewell that floated over the breeze:

Goodnight, Kove.