King Elk Forest Strike the match, play it loud
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Private 

She had been searching the forest and its surrounding areas since she arrived back here two days ago. Their scents had vanished. Not even the slightest hint of her family remained, and she resolved herself to the fact that they must have all gone in her absence. 

She wasn't sure what she should do now. She supposed she could go back and search out the little family that had helped her, but she was having trouble leaving. She had worked so hard to find her way back here, and if she left, it would feel like it was all for nothing. So she had wandered the forest she knew so well, hunted (rather poorly), and studied the plants, all the while trying to figure out what to do next.

She had spent most of the morning studying the forest. At the base of a tall fir grew the prettiest flowers she had ever seen. She made her way over on soft, quiet footsteps, eager to study the plant up close. In her excitement, she missed the spiny branch of a different plant that stretched across the path in front of her. A sharp pain made her freeze and pull back her front paw. When she turned her paw over to inspect, she noticed that blood welled from a tiny puncture, stark red against the coal black of her paw pad. She licked the area, hoping to soothe the ache, and cursed herself for not paying better attention.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
is made up of light and shadow
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Mud caked his fur at the bottoms of his feet, and even in between the pads. An annoyance for Rye but definitely gave some squirrel a small chuckle while watching the multi colored male shake his feet repeatedly. A bath was in order but Rye wasn't planning on plopping down right then and there for a bath. He hoped the blades of gras would slowly strip away at the mud flakes as he padded through the forest. Rye began to recall the first time he visited the forest, it was cold and the ground had been freshly coated with the clouds finest snow. Now it was a haven for game and cooler temperatures, all thanks to the abundance of greenery surrounding the forest. 

As beautiful as most of Ryes mornings were, they wouldn't be complete without something catching his eye. Whilst taking his time jogging through the forest the male happened upon a female. She appeared to have sustained a small injury from her paw. Rye watched intently, curious to see. While he watched, Rye herded his thoughts together and then let one by one pass by until one ran a little wild and presumptuous. 'A Blackfeather?', he thought hastily. Hostility was thick in the air and suddenly the world was much more tense. He wasn't sure how to approach the situation but to use his typical laid back ways. In truth that was the best option and so it was decided.

He pressed on towards her, no hackles raised nor his tail, all was relaxed. The male cleared his throat, hoping to gain her attention before startling her. As he neared he saw what she had hurt her paw on and began his opening with that. "I hear those are extra sharp this time of year, something about the summer temperature brings out the nasty in those things." He joked, letting a smile take form. The tension he felt still tugged at his mind but he refused to let it seep through.
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The clearing of a throat made her jump a little and turn. A muscled man of brown, grey, and black stood a distance away, eventually remarking on her unfortunate run in with a thorn. The old Effie would have felt completely at ease in the presence of any man, once naively believing that none of them ever held any Ill intentions. But her time on her own and the time spent with the small group of wolves that had eventually become her friends taught her that not everyone was good. So she studied him quietly for a few moments, noting that he seemed relaxed and not seeing any signs of aggression. There was certainly nothing about him that seemed evil. 

She gently touched her paw to the ground a few times to test how painful it would be and was pleasantly surprised to find only a dull ache remained even when she took a cautious step towards the stranger. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have done much harm, she said.

Her gaze moved over him, and she noticed the remnants of mud that still clung to his fur. A warm smile curved her lips. It looks like you've been busy, she said. Old habits died hard, and she found she was curious to know more about this stranger.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
An ounce of regret flickered in the males chest for scaring the female but it all washed away with the later conversation. Before she spoke, Rye took the time to notice the delicacy she had in the way she moved. A bizzare thing to notice first but Rye was bizzare. Anywho, the female reported little damnage was done and took note of the males mud caked feet. In any other company he would be ashamed to look unkempt but he had no reason to impress her, or anybody for that matter. 

He sat and lifted his left paw, and intently inspected it for the dramatics. All for a good jest of course. "They're always attracting mud. I could be on stone and still have these two bad boys covered." He rolled his eyes and gave a quiet laugh. The tension began to melt away, just like the snow in spring. However Rye was still keen on figuring who she was, which was his follow up. "Also, before we get too lost in banter, call me Rye. How about yourself? What may I call you?" He asked.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She, too, studied his paw when he lifted it into the air, her smile morphing into an amused grin as he joked about his feet's affinity for mud. She thought it sounded more like an inconvenience than anything, since it meant she would constantly be cleaning mud from her fur. No amount of time fending for herself had managed to diminish her ever present need to keep her fur tidy. Although, she had to admit, it did look awfully endearing on him.

And in all the excitement, it seemed she had been incredibly rude and started a conversation without first introducing herself. Her cheeks warmed and her ears lowered slightly. I'm sorry, Rye, she offered first. You can call me Effie. She gracefully dipped her head towards him before turning back to the flowers that had originally drawn her here. She took the remaining few steps towards the base of the fir, stopping once in front of the plant to inspect it. The flowers were like soft, white stars hanging above bright green, circular leaves. She lowered her nose to the delicate petals and inhaled the light floral scent, gaze flicking back to Rye as a friendly smile slowly embowed her mouth. What has you exploring the forest today? She asked curiously.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Elegance fit snugly in describing the females personality, she was the essence of grace and humility. Rye was intrigued, fascinated by all her beauty and grace. He wondered how and why she held much finesse but answers to such quieres were locked behind time. For now small chatter would perhaps slowly unravel her mysteries. So much to learn, so little time. 

Rye rolled around Effies' name in his mind, familiarizing himself with it; knowing damn well he was going to forget it. He returned with a smile of his own and said, "Effie? I haven't heard that name before but it's beautiful." Rye couldn't deny it, the name fit her well. "As for why I'm out here? No real reason other than I like to stretch my legs from time to time. Staying within my packs borders doesn't give a fella a lot of roaming room." The tension reared its ugly head back in his mind. Rye couldn't help but search for a reaction within the female. Would she give one with the mention of his pack? His eyes kept track of every detail it could. He was at odds however, Effie gave off a calming effect but Towhees talk about the Blackfeathers had him concerned. 

With a nervous repositioning in the way he sat, Rye asked her the same. "What of yourself? What brings you to these woods?" His worries were stubborn but his need to give everyone a fair chance was going to prevail, no if ands or buts. None of it! None.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
With his compliment, her smile turned shy, and she briefly lowered her gaze. Thank you, she said softly, her focus returning to his face. Her expression brightened a little as he explained that he belonged to a pack and that he entertained himself by roaming. She liked to explore, too, but she did it to learn more about the different plants of whatever area she was in. She was constantly fascinated by the flora around her, and she always had to know more. I can understand the need to wander, She replied. What has been your favorite place to explore so far? Effie asked; she was curious to know more about what drove him to roam. 

Until now, he had seemed fairly at ease, but as he finished answering her question, she noted a hint of tension in his muscular frame. Her eyes tracked his nervous shifting, and she glanced around, wondering if she had somehow missed some subtle sign of danger. But she saw nothing. I know this forest well, she began, taking a seat next to the flowering plant. Last winter, I came here and lived here with some of my family. But I got lost and it has taken me all this time to find my way back. Her expression turned wistful. They are nowhere near anymore from what I can tell. I'd like to stay in case they ever return, but I'm not sure where to stay or what to do with myself in the meantime. A soft sigh moved slowly from her chest. So, I've been doing what best eases my worries, which is learning more about plants. It probably sounded kind of lame, but it was the truth. 

Her ears lowered and concern drew her brows together. Should I be worried about spending time here? she asked. I just—well, you seem a little nervous, and I'm not always very good at reading my surroundings and am worried that maybe I'm missing something. She felt a little awkward admitting that to him. But she needed to know, right?
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Feelings of mistrust and tension flew out the door in quick succession of the other. The female explained her situation, lost family and pack mates. The male softened internally but grew frustrated at his own haste to write her off as a possible Blackfeather. Then as she spoke of her concerns with safety, guilt set in. He sown the worries into her mind, the least he could do was put her at ease. "I don't mean to ignore your question but I need to apologize," His head sunk slightly at his words. "I'm only nervous due to a pack that roamed these lands, not here in particular but they were near. From what I hear they are a nasty bunch. I'm sorry but I put my guard up with you. However I know now that was unnecessary, you've shown yourself to be kind. Nothing like those Blackfeathers." He said quietly, nearly reluctant to admit his mistake.

Rye wanted to help her in any way he could. Now worried about her safety staying alone in the woods. He wanted to invite her to his pack, a safe place to stay and food to keep her alive.  "Before I continue, I just want to say sorry again and to further my apology I would like to invite you to my pack, Asterism Grove. Its not far from here so you can visit here all you'd like and come back to a home if needed." He looked at her with a warm smile, hoping she would accept. His assumptions about her might stand in the way of her acceptance but he wouldn't feel right about not extending a helping hand. "I understand if you wouldn't like to, I know you would like to stay near the forest to keep an eye out for your family." Rye let out a quiet sigh, still feeling ashamed of his assumptions.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her concern grew, and she frowned at his apology, confused at first; he had done nothing that warranted an apology. But then he continued to explain, and it all made sense. She completely understood his wariness of her. He didn't know her at all and already being on edge about a potentially returned evil, he had been nervous. She would have most likely felt the same had there roles been reversed. She certainly didn't blame him or hold anything against him for just being cautious. 

She was about to tell him as much, but he was apologizing again, making her rise to her feet and move back over to sit in front of him. He proceeded to invite her back to his pack, and a grateful smile grew on her face as he spoke. It was an incredibly kind offer, one she knew meant that he no longer felt any suspicion towards her. You have no reason to apologize, really, you were just looking out for yourself and your pack. She understood, and she was, honestly, glad that she hadn't missed something dangerous. More importantly, she was relieved that she was no longer alone with such terrible sounding wolves hanging around. 

And what about his proposal? She couldn't deny the draw to have the safety and security of a pack when she clearly had none out here on her own. And Rye was so kind and handsome and honest; those weren't qualities you often found together in one wolf. She very much wanted to know him better, which would be made easier by accepting his offer. She feigned a thoughtful look, as if deeply thinking about his offer even though she had already made her decision. I will accept your invitation on one condition, she said with teasing seriousness. You let me get to know you a little better first. Her smile returned, and she met his gaze expectantly.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
The weight lifted from his mind, springing it back to life with relief. His ears perked up and once more a smile was present, and with her acceptance of joining his pack he was further delighted. Joy and excitement fluttered his stomach and mind, he was glad to know she would at least be safe behind the invisible walls that protected the grove. It seemed by the minute he was growing fonder and fonder of the female, her kindness, elegance and forgiveness were shining stars in her nature. He was sure she would make a good member of AG. With the wag of his tail and a chuckle from his chest, he spoke,

"That's great! I agree to your terms, I'd like to get to know you better. Oh and thank you for forgiving me." Rye gazed back at the female with happiness etched into his eyes. He was undoubtedly thankful at her acceptance and even her terms. He was eager to get to know her and all her quirks, mannerisms and what fun they could have. Everything she shown him so far was pleasant and peace bringing. She was wonderful. 

"Just so you know, I'm not very good at giving directions, so the best option would be to follow me. When you're ready of course." He offered. Rye was more of a by sight kinda guy, he could tell her land marks to look out for but even those he wouldn't describe properly enough. Whenever she was ready to hit the road he'd be there, always a howl away.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He seemed beyond delighted that she agreed to join his pack, and it made her cheeks warm again. She wondered how she had gotten so lucky as to run into someone nice enough to not only offer her a place to live but also seem genuinely happy about it. And the fact that he also wanted to know more about her made her cheeks heat further. She never thought there was anything special about herself, and so she was a little surprised that he was interested in learning more, but she tried not let those thoughts taint her excitement. She shook her head at his thanks. There was nothing to forgive, she replied. 

She didn't really like the idea of spending another night alone here, especially now that she knew it could be dangerous. Well, I don't think I want to stay here by myself tonight, Effie said, ears falling a little. So, maybe we could talk for a little bit, and then you could lead me back to your pack's territory to meet your leaders, she suggested. She assumed they would have to approve of her joining. If that's alright with you, I mean. Maybe he hadn't wanted to bring her home right away. She didn't want him to feel obligated or anything. As much as she disliked being on her own, she could manage if she had to; the nights weren't too cold yet, and she had managed to keep herself adequately fed so far even if it had been quite a struggle.

We can continue if you'd like, or we can go ahead and start the joining thread at AG. Either is fine with me! <3
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Lets start the joining thread, brain is fried today lol but good first thread!

He didn't blame her, last time he slept outside pack borders was when he was sick, he didn't want to repeat that again. The male had gotten lucky with a friendly Wraen coming to revisit him. Anyways, he was more than happy to chat and then take her to his home. He was confident she would be accepted with ease. "Sounds good to me. Though do know that I can only get you so far with the leaders, the rest is up to you and your conversation with them. So if you have any good attributes that would help a pack, that would be good to start with. Though you probably knew all that." Pointless lecture, maybe? Either way Rye would get to further know about the female, who knows, perhaps she was a skillful fighter or hunter. "Shall we walk and talk?" He asked.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Okay! I'll get it started. <3

Effie nodded. Of course, she answered. I'll do my best to tell them what I can offer. She was, admittedly, a little nervous about it, though. Her upbringing hadn't exactly prepared her for things like this. Her mother had been raised differently, to uphold a set of values that she now knew were very outdated, but it had been a realization she had only come to recently, which meant she was kind of behind the curve on many skills that most wolves learned as children. Still, she hoped that her vast knowledge of plants and the fact that she was willing to learn whatever else she needed to know would be enough for her to be allowed inside Rye's pack. 

She smiled despite her nerves, finding it an easy thing to do in his presence. She was excited to get to learn more about him even if she wasn't so sure she would be able to prove herself to his leaders. That sounds great, she answered as she stood and came to his side. So she would talk for as long as he wanted and then follow him back to his home.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life