Haunted Wood they were there when I woke up this morning
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
All Welcome 
the wound on her face is most definitely infected, to some degree, though she doesn't yet try to seek out Serem. she should be able to deal with this on her own, anyways. she can sort-of remember the herbs Moonshadow used all those weeks ago, and is certain she'll stumble across them eventually. 

early morning finds her near the borders, wolfing down (hehe) the frightened ground squirrel she'd barely managed to nab a quarter of an hour earlier. even as she eats, apprehension trickles down her spine; mini-rumbles have been ongoing since midnight, and she's certain something big is coming; what, she's not yet sure.
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Like a vulture circling 'round a dying animal, Black Hat had watched the whelps' pathetic little scrap from afar, waiting for his moment to feed on the loser's weakness. Well, neither of them really won, and their sad attempt at combat made them both losers in his eyes, but that worked for him.

He emerged from the fog and skulked towards the girl, though he kept his distance, not wanting her to think he had any interest in her little morsel. No, this scavenger was more interested in her. I saw your spar, Black Hat started, sinking into a neat sit in front of her to signify that he desired a conversation. He eyed her inflamed face wound but didn't comment on it. It appears you could use someone to help hone your skills. You'd like to actually win next time, yes? He wove his words with spiderlike artifice, then waited for her to climb into his web.
Within the dark, he s͎͇̲͎̪͂͒̉͂̐t̤͈͉̱̝̍͒͊̚̚͟͡r̢̧̜̞̔͐͋̅i̛̖̜͎͍̫͍͆͐̈͞͡ǩ̩͉̈́͜͞e̝̭̩̔͂́s̘̘̓̍͗͜
♚ JOIN CORONA
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
her gaze flicks up to land on the pale man who'd invaded her solitude. she's on guard as he sits, though she doubts he'll try and steal her scrap of prey. she makes fast work of the rest of it anyways, before sliding up into a mirrored sitting position to observe him. he makes an offer that's one part insulting and one part alluring, and she thinks on it a moment before replying. "I let my anger get the best of me. that's why I lost. I didn't make that mistake the first time." technically, it had been a messy tie, but anything less than a clear victory was a loss. next time she met Valour in combat again, she would not let it be a repeat of their most recent spar.

"a mentor?" she echoes, clearly intrigued but hardly trusting enough to agree immediately. besides, there are a few things she'd like to address first. "why's that on your head?" 
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Recognizing your mistakes is a good start. You'll make a fine warrior — with my guidance, of course. He cracked a grin. The girl asked if he meant like a mentor, and he answered, Precisely.

Her next question caught him off-guard. He blinked, then chuckled. It's a memento, Black Hat said vaguely. Black Hat, at your service. Cue the tip of his crown.
Within the dark, he s͎͇̲͎̪͂͒̉͂̐t̤͈͉̱̝̍͒͊̚̚͟͡r̢̧̜̞̔͐͋̅i̛̖̜͎͍̫͍͆͐̈͞͡ǩ̩͉̈́͜͞e̝̭̩̔͂́s̘̘̓̍͗͜
♚ JOIN CORONA
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
she thinks she's good enough already, but she knows enough to know it'd be stupid to turn down any chance to learn, especially in an environment such as this one. "ok." she agrees, finally, dipping her muzzle in agreement. 

he clarifies, which really means she's no closer to understanding than previously. she's sharply curious—where did he get it, and why? and what was his name before, for surely it had been different then? but she's hardly inclined to try and spark a conversation, and so accepts the introduction with a brief one of her own, though by all accounts he probably already knows her name. "i'm hela."
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
She agreed to becoming his apprentice, and he visibly beamed. Smart choice; you won't regret it. Unwittingly, Hela had just signed her name in blood to a creature worse than the devil. Once one made a deal with Black Hat, there was no backing out, and he intended to bleed every one of his clients dry of all they were worth before tossing them aside like the nothing they were.

He could see the questions building behind the windows of her eyes, but none of them came to fruition. Black Hat was content to watch them swirl around with a quirk of his lip. The girl introduced herself as Hela, which he'd probably heard before, but he oft forgot the names of others, finding them of little importance. But he would make an effort to remember this one, for he had plans for her.

Well, Hela, we can start your first lesson now, if you feel so inclined, He offered. There was truly no time like the present.
♚ JOIN CORONA
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
she wondered why, exactly, he'd brought up regretting it. she wouldn't have considered regret at all when making the easy decision, but wonders at it now. these wolves do not seem to be a pack in the way blackfeather was—is—each seems out only for themselves. 

at his offer, she dips her head in quick agreement. her wounds are fresh, but surely there is no better time to practise when old mistakes still burn. her gaze is on him, waiting, ready, alert in the same way that always preceded a spar with scylla.
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
100th post for 69th post. Iconic thread, LOL.

He was pleased by her eagerness to learn and improve; Hela was a valuable pawn to have. Wordlessly, Black Hat rose to stand square. The girl simply stood there, waiting for him to make the first move. Ah, see, you've already made a mistake, He pointed out. By giving me the courtesy of making the first move, you give me the advantage. He paused for emphasis.

In other words, you set yourself up to lose from the beginning. So, he took a few steps back and stood ready. Now. Attack me first, show me what you've got.
♚ JOIN CORONA
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
she was moving before he'd finished his sentence, having launched into action immediately after the now. she sprang for his face; a move that began most of her fights, but already she'd learned from them. the direct attack forced her opponent's focus in the forward direction, as it had with valour, scylla, among others. but this time, when she's within inches from her muzzle, she drops suddenly and smoothly, dipping under his chin and surging up again in an attempt to snap her jaws around the soft flesh of his neck or chest.
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Much like Radar (of whom he hadn't seen as of late), Hela craftily chose a smart time to strike: while he was talking. But he'd learned from his mistake with the woman prior and tucked in his chin — a staple in combat. Her teeth instead landed on his chest, which he retaliated to with a swift bite aimed for the top of her muzzle. If landed, he would apply enough pressure to coax her into relinquishing her hold. Then, a yank of his head — and thus Hela's — to disorient her. He'd then release and latch onto her throat in what would be a killing blow had their fight been legitimate. The pressure of his own fangs above her jugular would be tantilizingly close to fatal, but not quite knocking at death's door.

If all came to fruition, Black Hat would let go by the end of his elaborate demonstration with a smug expression. What went wrong? He'd ask genuinely, wondering if she could pinpoint the moment of error.
♚ JOIN CORONA
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
it happens quickly; she misses her target, and is forced away from her weak grip easily enough. his grip she moves swiftly to evade, and for a moment, it appears she might succeed. but she's dwarfed by him, and already in an awkward position because of her attack. and so for a fleeting moment, his fangs hover over her jugular. it is only a moment, but one needs only to barest flicker of opportunity to prove fatal. 

she withdraws swiftly, glancing back up to him when he speaks. her expression is nonplussed, but she's sharply disappointed. "you didn't take the bait. you defended." no matter how fast she was, if she didn't pause a moment to ensure her effort was worth it, it would be wasted.
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
He nodded, appreciating the sharpness of her mind. But Black Hat was nigh impossible to impress. Yes, and I didn't need to predict your exact move to do so because it's common practice to tuck in one's chin when defending an attack. That's something you should always expect when fighting an experienced wolf and account for it, He elaborated.

But, He added, I commend you for trying to take me off-guard. Taking advantage of every opportunity can sway the odds in your favor. Though a critic through and through, Black Hat understood the benefit of praising desired behaviors. In a scenario where your opponent is guarding their throat, also consider other places to target: the snout, the flanks, and the scruff.

With that extra tip, he decided to keep this lesson brief and bring it to a close. Seeing as you're recovering, I'll leave our lesson at that for today. Your next lesson begins when you are healed. Any questions?
♚ JOIN CORONA
lions & men
412 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Warrior
she absorbs his lessons with true interest; out of them all, Black Hat has perhaps taught her the most in this short time. she commits the words to memory, as if they are precious gems she must hide away. when he seeks to finish their lesson, she accepts with a nod, understanding. she can already practise what he's taught her alone, at least until her injuries have scabbed over well enough. 

to his final question, there comes a shake of her head. standing, she surveys him once more, remembering his fight against Vengeance and confident in the fact that he is as good a fight as he is a teacher. a moment of consideration, and then, "thanks." with a final glance, she turns on her heel and makes her way back to her den, leaving Black Hat to his own devices.
Black Hat Org
270 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
I look forward to seeing where this pair goes in the future! Thank you for the thread. ♥

He watched her eager mind absorb the information like a sponge from the windows of her eyes, and this pleased him greatly. There was so much potential in this girl, he was impatient to see the final product of all his hard work.

Very well. And go see Serem about that face wound before it festers, He ordered; it wouldn't do to have his blossoming pupil be put out of commission due to something preventable.

Black Hat saw Hela off, then turned to walk off the remaining energy from their brief faux spar.
♚ JOIN CORONA