Meadowlark Prairie temperature
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Private 

There was a chill in the air as autumn had swept over them in a rush. She wanted to be mad at the cold of the night that drove her out of a resting place into the open. She couldn't be though. The sky was clear, not a cloud in the heavens as far as she could tell. The moon was large and shined with such vibrancy too! How could she be mad when she had such a lovely sight?

A sigh escaped her as she padded away from (assuming some here) slumbering bodies in favor of being somewhere she wouldn't wake anyone. It was a prairie that welcomed her, open expanse bathed in moonlight. There was nowhere to hide here but it did not worry her as her guard fell down. Surely no one would be out hunting for trouble in the night.

(What a naive thought.)
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
It was a naive thought, but luckily East was nearby. He enjoyed the cold and had been unable to sleep, so he was patrolling the perimeter of where they settled for the night, easily falling into old habits when his mind kept him from relaxing. Once he was sure there was no danger lurking anywhere close, he headed back to the group, still not tired, but having nothing else to do. 

He saw her as he neared their camp, easily spotting her in the open field, his gaze drawn to her earthy fur and the way it seemed to glow in the light of the moon. He should go to bed and resist the urge to sidle up next to her and speak to her alone. But he couldn't just leave her by herself out here, right? It was cold and dangerous. That's how he was justifying things to himself as he trotted towards her instead of back to bed. It's not very safe to be out here by yourself, he said gently as he came up beside her. His gaze scanned the field before resting on her face. It's awfully open.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
"It's not very safe to be out here by yourself,"

Her head turned to see who and oh — her heart hammered against her chest for a moment. There was something different about seeing him alone than how she saw him most of the time, with someone else always present or the light of day illuminating him differently than how the moonlight did. But I'm not by myself. She finally breathed the words out after moments of gazing upon his face. He was here, wasn't he?

There were no distractions to save her from her own pathetic heartbeat or thoughts. Crimson eyes moved to look away from his face into the fields — if only to give her own mind a brief break. Why aren't you sleeping? She asked hesitantly, concern edging into her words.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He held her gaze when she turned, unable to look away from her uniquely colored eyes until he looked down to her mouth as she spoke. You have me there, he replied, a smile tilting one side of his mouth. It was dangerous, indulging himself with her company, but for some reason, he didn't really care right now. 

Even when she looked away, his own gaze remained on her face, studying it's curves as she spoke. But the subject of her question made him look away. He gave a shrug of his muscular shoulders. I'm not sure, he lied. He didn't want to spoil this with his past. And her concern made him feel guilty for some reason. Quickly he shifted the conversation to her and asked: Why aren't you sleeping?
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
It was so easy to be confident in her mind, to think of all of the words to say and paint such a beautiful picture. Yet here next to him she lacked any sort of confidence. Her mind fizzled away anything she had ever thought of saying to such words. Eleni almost swore it felt like her breath silently hitched in her chest, overcome with a sudden weakness. But she hid the feeling in ruby eyes as she admired to moonlit field.

As much as she wished to keep her gaze away from his own rich eyes they snapped to his face at his question. Hey, She quipped with a gentle bump against his side. That's not fair. Despite what her words might have carried, her tone was gentle as a smirk swept over her face. Come on. I don't want to wake anyone else up. She mused with a flick of her tail before strolling deeper into the prairie. While she expected him to follow she still tossed a look over her shoulder back towards him.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her warmth lingered in the place where  their shoulders had touched, and it was almost enough to distract him from the fact that she didn't believe his lie. He gave her a mock glare, ready to further dodge her gentle prodding into his thoughts with some teasing retort, but then she was on her feet, walking away and urging him to follow. It was an invitation he found he was completely unable to refuse.

He quickly trotted to her side, brushing his fur against hers as he moved. Alright, he said, a smile returning to his lips. You tell me why you're awake, and then maybe I'll give you a better answer in return, he offered. And it was the truth; he would tell her his story if that was truly what she wanted, especially if it would delay her returning to the others.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
It was too cold to sleep. And although it was a pitiful answer really, her voice was completely honest. And I'm sure Nirali would have kicked me if I tried to steal warmth from her. She gave him a weak smile as she led them mindlessly. There was no destination in mind and honestly, she wouldn't mind if they got a little lost. The moon would surely help them find their way back to their small camp. Not to mention they had plenty of hours left in the night...

She drifted in and out from his side for a few moments before settling near. It was with a careful gaze that she looked up to his face. So...do I get that answer now?
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her simple answer surprised him some, but she sounded truthful. It was pretty cold, and although he had never tried to sleep so close to Nirali, he knew right away that Eleni was correct in her assumption. He wanted to offer himself as her own personal space heater in the future but kept the thought to himself; it was maybe too forward and might relay just how strongly he was drawn to her. She might have made an exception for her sister, he answered instead. 

East followed wherever she wandered, allowing her as near as she wished to be, glad when she finally settled close. He pretended give her question a lot of consideration, eventually offering her a nod, his eyes moving to the ground in front of them. My mind was too noisy. It...happens sometimes, he answered. His reason was far heavier than hers, but it was the truth at least.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
She couldn't help but let out a giggle that filled the silence of the night. Yeah, maybe if she was awake. I have a feeling all bets are off when she's asleep. Maybe it crossed her mind once or twice to try thieving someone else's warmth, maybe even ask, but she never acted on it. Oh if only she had known her companion's thoughts though.

While she may not know his thoughts, she learned of his reason for being awake. I could help with that. The moment she says it it feels awkward. I, uh, I mean I'm a healer. He surely already knows that though from her tending to any injuries among the group. She's floundering suddenly and the heat in her face drives her to look away from him again. There are certain plants. They might be able to help you relax. Although she has finally got the words out she doesn't seem to feel any better. Instead she felt overcome with embarrassment about the whole ordeal.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her giggle brought an amused smile to his face. You're probably right, he agreed, emitting a low chuckle at the thought. I'm afraid you're in for a rough winter, though. It's only going to get colder, even in the valleys. He knew that from last winter. He had been on the coast then, a member of Drageda, but the winter had been bitter even there.

His eyebrows lifted at her response, a grin spreading across his face as she hastily described what she had actually meant. She looked away, and he felt slightly guilty at finding her awkwardness sort of endearing. To ease her discomfort, he refrained from commenting on it and instead asked: Will they make me feel out of it? He didn't want anything that would make him feel altered. I don't want to be out of commission if something happens. He couldn't bear the thought of not being in control of himself at all times, which was perhaps part of the reason he had convinced himself that persuing Eleni was a bad idea. Whatever spark was between them made him feel the opposite of in control, and he was kind of scared of it.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
She was worried he was right, that perhaps sleep would elude her all winter with the chill setting in and her lack of confidence to ask to curl against someone. Admittedly she grew even further worried the more she dwelt on it. Perhaps she would have to cave. Or grow sneaky in her sleeping placement. The latter seemed far more likely.

Well...it depends really. I won't give you anything you don't want though. She admitted as she finally found the courage to at least look at him from the corner of her eye. I don't know if I can even find much with the chill already settling in, honestly. Then she felt guilty. Why had she even bothered to offer? She was not in a pack with a cache of herbs ready to go through the winter. I'm sorry. Um...is there anything else I can do? She was desperate (perhaps too much so) to make it up to him.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The promise of plants to calm his mind was soon less of a promise as she admitted that it would be difficult to find anything now that the weather was colder. Still, he appreciated the thought. And when she offered to help in some other way, he brushed his shoulder against hers. This actually really helps, he answered. Talking to you has helped take my mind of things, so thank you, he said as he dipped his head. Distractions were always welcome, especially in the form of a nice girl offering to help him sleep better. But what about you? he asked next. You've helped me with my problem, so how can I help you with yours? His previous solution came to mind, but he kept it to himself again. What if it made her uncomfortable or pushed her away? He would feel awful, and he was sure it would cause problems with Nirali if he upset her sister.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Oh. She breathed softly. You're welcome. Her voice was meek but honest. Never had she thought that her words would help someone. It was no secret that she was not the best with her words. Shall we look back at her floundering upon originally offering help? Then he flipped things around once more and questioned her. This time she had the sinking feeling that bumping into him would not fix the situation.

Silence hovered between them for a few beats. Her tongue felt heavy in her mouth but eventually she found it in her to speak again. Would...would you kick me in your sleep? She didn't directly ask what she was seeking but she had faith he knew what she meant. Besides, being vague felt far easier than outright saying it.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her quiet response led him to believe that she hadn't expected such a thing as talking to help. But he had always craved the company of others and found that too much time alone drove him to depression. So, just something as simple as a conversation could lift his spirits. It only made things better that his company tonight was Eleni. 

At first, she gave him no answer, and he very much wished to know what she was thinking. It turned out he wouldn't have to wait very long, though. Her words made his heart beat against his ribs, the real meaning clear. He swallowed against the heat burning in his stomach and up his throat. His ardent gaze sought hers as he slowed to a stop. Definitely not. His voice was husky, betraying way more than he was comfortable with, but she had surprised him.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
She was quick to meet his gaze, and although he did not take long to answer it certainly felt like hours. It didn't help that the silence of night seemed worse than that during the day. Nothing — no one — could interrupt them. Not the chirping of birds or the off-hand comments from her siblings. She had to confront conversation with him now.

His husky voice broke the heavy silence though. It sent a shiver down her spine that she was inwardly embarrassed about. You're going to have to prove that, you know. Her own voice was breathier than she had intended — if only because she felt taken back by his acceptance but also emboldened by the fact that she had not scared him off yet.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He had gone too far. This was going somewhere he wasn't sure he was ready for it to go. Would he ever be ready, though? And if he pulled back now, it would surely hurt her, and he couldn't stand the thought. It was hard for the sound logic of his brain to override the selfish wants of his heart. He had been lonely for so long, even if he had been less so since Nirali saved his life. There had still been a certain kind of connection he yearned to have with another. His heart and mind warred with each other in the few silent moments following her challenge, his gaze never leaving her face. But eventually, his heart won out, its needs far more appealing than what his mind was proposing he do. Tonight, then. When you're ready to sleep...I'll keep you warm, he promised. He found the words easier to say than he thought, considering it would most likely change things between them but at the moment, he was finding it hard to really care about his stupid reservations.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Despite how violently her heart had been hammering in her chest, it seemed to slow down as things seemed to drift from awkward into...something else. She didn't know what to call it at all but she didn't mind it. Okay. She breathed the response with a small nod of her head. There was so much more she could have (perhaps should have?) said but none of it came out. However she did have something else to confess to him. I'm not ready to go back yet though. There was a million reasons why (to lose their solitude with each other, to receive a questioning glance or two) but she didn't say any of them. Are you? She would accompany him if he wished to, even despite her own desires.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He was currently full of adrenaline and surging pheromones, so he was nowhere near ready to return to the group and attempt to sleep. He also wasn't quite ready to share her with everyone else yet. He hadn't expected to have this private time with her when he had departed with a patrol in mind, his muscles tense with anxiety. This was more than he could have hoped for, and he didn't want it to end just yet. And even though she had been the one to propose their new sleeping arrangements, his heart still slammed against his chest at her official acceptance. It was all enough to keep him awake for the rest of the night. East shook his head at her question, and he began to walk again. No, I'd still like to walk with you, he quietly answered, hoping she would move to his side again.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Unknowingly, she did what he wished and brushed up against his side carefully. She was mindful not to be too pushy. The last thing she wanted to do in that moment was somehow run him off. Eleni truly didn't think she'd be capable of spooking him but the fear was still present.

Come on. She hummed carefully, sticking close to his side this time instead of trailing off ahead of him. It would do her no good to go playing coy now. Tell me something. Anything. Her eyes moved to look away from the trail they were forming and up at his face, expectant of some sort of answer. Even if it was another turning of tables.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He hadn't realized his muscles had tensed in the moments he waited for her to join him, but it all melted away at her touch. He, however, wasn't being quite as mindful as she was and leaned into her a little more, unable to stop himself from seeking more comfort from her. He would stay that way as he walked unless she expressed any kind of discomfort with it.

He moved when she demanded it of him, meeting her gaze as she asked him to tell her anything. He searched his mind to find something interesting to tell her. He didn't have much that was interesting about his life; mostly, it was just sad. He decided to go with something that related to her. Did Nirali tell you how exactly she saved my life? he asked. He figured she had mentioned something about it but wasn't sure if she had gone into detail.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
She offered him a small smile at the question he presented. The big cat? She asked in return although she didn't leave much room for him to say too much before she continued. She said you two killed it. And although she doesn't ask it, the look on her face is clear. Is it true? While she never doubted her sister's words it was obviously a strange debacle. Eleni was not even familiar with such a huge creature. The story almost sounded like some sort of myth. Two strangers coming together to defeat a beast, overcoming it and powering on. She supposed she should consider herself lucky for knowing such powerful individuals.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He hadn't been referring to the incident with the cougar; that had been more of a joint effort. But he caught the incredulous look she gave him as she asked for confirmation that they had killed the creature. He nodded. Yes, we did. We had to or it would have killed us. It still managed to get in a few good swipes at us, though. He shrugged a little with his retelling. He had been trained to do that and more, and he hadn't thought of much while in the moment other than surviving and keeping Nirali alive. I was referring to how we first met, he added next. Apparently her sister hadn't said anything about it. I was swimming in a creek near the southern end of the mountains. A big log came out of nowhere and knocked me out. It messed up my leg pretty bad. It had been a freak accident. How many times had he been in creeks just like that without any incident? I would have died if your sister hadn't found me and helped me. That's why I stuck around; I owe her my life. He paused before continuing, his words a little hesitant. And lately...well, I've had more reasons to stay. He took a cue from her and indirectly told her what he wanted to say because it was easier than the actual words.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
She had to bite her own tongue from saying anything like a parent would to a child. She had already given Nirali an earful and she doubted it would be very alluring if she scolded Eastwood. I’m just glad you two bested it. The admission came out almost as a whisper. Of course she was thrilled for her sister’s survival but she was glad he was safe too. They had plenty to thank him for too. After all, hadn’t he been patrolling before she dragged him off with her?

A soft frown cut into her features. If her sister had told her about this, perhaps she had forgotten it in the flurry of new arrivals and new emotions. Her lips parted slightly almost ready to say something guaranteed to be in line with her caretaker side. Then he continued and his words were more touching than anything she would have said. I’m glad you’ve stayed. She felt a bit small in that moment, vulnerable despite being guarded by his large firm. Subconsciously she pressed closer against his form as if that might protect her from her own vulnerability. I can’t heal you if you take off. It was a poor attempting at teasing but perhaps the few soft sways of her tail would alert him to her well-meaning jest.
common & tevene
193 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Me too, he replied. It had been unexpected and could have eneded much worse than it did, but it turned out that he and Nirali made a pretty good fighting team. Plus, if he had died that day, then he wouldn't be here now, and he was especially grateful for that.

She had no trouble decoding his words, thankfully, and he smiled in response to her admission. When she pressed closer, East reached over to nuzzle her cheek if allowed, hoping she wouldn't be opposed to his affection. He couldn't help himself apparently. A chuckle rumbled from his chest at her last comment, and he pulled back to look at her, giving her a playful raise of an eyebrow. Are you implying that I need a lot of healing? he asked in response to her teasing, which he easily picked up on.
Common · Trigedasleng
73 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Although she grew hot with the show of affection, she did not push him away or speak against it. It was unusual to her. Yet she took the chance to bask in the affection of someone who was not family.

As composed as she tried to remain though, a giggle escaped her at his words. That’s exactly what I’m implying. Her words were accentuated by her tilting her head up to practically put her nose in his face briefly before pulling away. A log in a creek, a giant cat, what’s next? You obviously need a healer around. And despite her inner worry she kept her tone light. She didn’t want any of their crew to be hurt but she knew it was best if they got hurt while they at least had a healer around.
common & tevene