the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
attn @Vega o:)

Hydra watched her progeny play amongst one another, roughhousing and practicing one of the dozens of lessons she had taught them. It was a moment of peace within the tumult that surrounded them, but she breathed easy knowing that Moonspear itself had yet to be effected. Prey lingered, but large game secluded itself; Hydra was glad for their recent caribou hunt just prior to their truly elusive behavior, her own belly quite full. 

That did not mean she did not fret over the future. She would have to have her family search for prey to at the least know of their present whereabouts. For the time, though, there was no benefit to worrying; their caches were full of provisions for times such as this, and Hydra imagined they were as prepared as they could be in such an event. The thought settled her, for now. 

Hydra rest in the sun; snow had already come and gone, though it was autumn, and she wondered when it would come again. The Queen huffed a little, and idly pondered how @Terance fared in all this chaos—was his territory near the place she had seen all that smoke...? Within herself, she thought of @Alya and felt for her in the well of herself; there was relief in the lack of absence that indicated all was well. 

To wish her home, or to wish her to remain where she was? Wherever you are, be safe, she willed. In the meantime, her children continued to romp, and Hydra allowed herself to recline into a neatly seated position, tail curling around her leg as she watched.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
The world was changing and shifting around them, but for the moment, Vega was clueless. In a lot of ways, she and her siblings were more mature then their age, mostly thanks to Hydra's careful teaching. But they were still puppies, only three and a half months old, and there were moments where they acted their age -- like this one, at present. And, although she wasn't aware, this was another lesson in itself, as she grappled with @Osiris.

She and her brother tumbled about, their nearly-matching pelts a swirl of autumnal hues among the leaves. The first snow had already fallen on Moonspear's peak, but Vega had only been able to enjoy it for a short time before it dissipated. She had been assured that it would fall again, and soon; but for now, she was happy to hear the crunching of the leaves beneath her body.

When she began to grow tired, she disentangled herself from Osiris, delivering a well-timed snap of her teeth in the direction of his snout when he tried to insist their play continue. She huffed, then padded towards her mother where she reclined in the sunlight, her ears tilted back and her tail wagging appealingly.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Vega tired of the game first, and she watched as Osiris teamed up with one of his brothers to harass the other. It was good practice, she thought to herself. One never knew what the wilds might throw at you. Rannoch had been overwhelmed by an utter stranger; if it had been two strangers, perhaps there would have been no hope for him—three, surely a fatality were none to come to his rescue. Her children, she would ensure, could and would be able to fend for themselves until help did come, and if none could they would learn how to be their own hero. Hydra felt they had it in them, but would ensure it. 

She moved to exhale a warm breath on her daughters forehead before nipping the tip of an ear, appeased by the approach. Vega looked so much like her father! It was a marvel to behold, and Hydra gestured toward her still-playing brothers, immersed in the play-fight. High-pitched snarls and yips and the full-throated barks of youth filled the air, and Hydra's gaze shifted again to her daughter. There is much that can be learned by simply watching, she informed quietly. It would be a lesson she would impart upon her sons, too—but Vega would be the first to learn. Hydra had hoped for only sons, and yet found she was not at all unsatisfied in having had a daughter.
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
Vega smiled at the attention bestowed upon her by her mother, her ear twitching of its own accord as Hydra's teeth gently brushed it. The Alpha female spoke of observation, which was a skill Vega had already begun to explore; she took in the sights and sounds around her much as a sponge absorbed water, paying attention to even the slightest nuances. She shifted in order to seat herself next to Hydra, watching as her brothers continued to wrestle.

As one sibling pinned another to the ground with a triumphant grin, she noted the exhalation of breath from each of them. "They're getting tired," she noted quietly, glancing away from her brothers to look up at her mother.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her daughters observation was met with a nod. Their flanks heaved with the effort of their exertion; but that was only after the battle. It is good to know when your opponent is getting tired, she commended, wanting Vega to know that she had not been wrong to note as much. More importantly, though, she hummed: they will go again. Your brothers energy is always swift to return. Yours, too, came her knowing words, gaze falling back to the brothers. One grew irate at the others consistent pawing.

And it seeemed as though their breath had been caught again. Up went the fallen soldier to battle again, and Hydra advised: watch which way they go. Who favors what direction. Many fighters have habits, Hydra had realized when she grew older. It was why her own style was so varied. It makes them predictable. You can sometimes anticipate what is next to come, Hydra watched her sons, asking Vega as she did: do you see any indicators of this? Perhaps she did not yet know their habits, not as Hydra did. But then when you were in the moment, and you did not know this, she likely would not—but now? Now, Vega might see it.
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
*vaguely powerplays brothers lol*

Just as Hydra had predicted, the time-out was short lived. A resurgence of energy sent the boys at one another once more, and Vega drew in her breath as she watched, noticing that her own spirit seemed to be feeling restored after just a few minutes of rest. She did not want to re-engage in the play fight at this time though; she rather liked taking the role of an observer along with her mother.

Her small teeth pressed thoughtfully into her lower lip as her gaze followed her siblings. One brother seemed to prefer a tactic that kept him lower to the ground; she took note of this trend at Hydra's instruction. "Look how he's staying low and using his shoulder," she said as the aforementioned boy thrust up against his brother's ribs with his shoulderblade.

"So I can watch out for that next time I play with him," she concluded with a smirk and a questioning glance at the Alpha.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra paused to nibble at a hind, where a sudden itch had inconveniently come to be, before regarding her daughter and her words. What Vega had said was certainly something Hydra had noticed herself, and she watched for it now and nodded as she saw it. Good, she commended succinctly, and as her daughter continued to speak Hydra looked to her again and asked: how might you react to that? 

She enjoyed hearing what her children had already learned from her or their father, and prided herself for her diligent and consistent teachings. Still Hydra was aware that they might not know it all yet; she would always fill in the blanks where and when she could. Not yet sure that Vega would know how to respond to her brothers fighting-style, she awaited her answer to find out for herself.
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
As Vega got older, she would grow accustomed to her mother’s thoughtful ways. Every action had a reaction; every moment was an opportunity to learn. So it was no surprise, really, when Hydra posed a hypothetical question for her daughter. This was just one of many, and it helped to sharpen the girl’s mind.

She chewed on her lower lip as she considered her answer. She did not fear giving the wrong response; even if what she said was incorrect, she knew her mother would guide her in a matter-of-fact way. I... she began, frowning slightly, I could maybe try pushing him down.

But she quickly shook her head. He’s bigger than me, though. I don’t think that would work, she concluded.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to her daughter speak, ear twitching. Perhaps it might, she encouraged, wanting her daughter to do and find out for herself what was possible and impossible. Vega would learn better this way. To guide her further, though, Hydra explained; if he is low to the earth and leaning in one direction, you might be able to utilize his own weight against him when adding your own. If he is tired enough, you might even be able to push him downward, Hydra drawled, but if he is not tired, he may only stumble. From there, she would like to see Vega work out what next to do; Hydra was ever eager to find out what instincts her daughter carried. Her grandmother was one of Moonspear's greatest warriors, and her mother was its present best. She hoped Vega would fight alongside her as she had fought alongside her own mother. 

Nipping at her daughters cheek, Hydra drawled, bigger does not always mean better. My father, your grandfather, Charon, taught me that, she recalled, though he had not used those words in his instruction. He had showed her this, not told her in as many words—and guided her in how to better beasts of his own massive stature. Tire your brothers out, then strike; then tire them out again, then strike. As the only girl among them, Vega might have her work cut out for her if the boys ever elected to team up in their games against her—though they always seemed to partner up... or else simply go all out in a battle royale to see who would be the victor. These days it was anyones guess, but she could see them utilizing the things that she had said.
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
Hydra gave her daughter some sage advice, topping it off with guidance from Vega's grandfather. She hadn't been lucky enough to meet him, as he had passed before her own birth, but she still felt like he was an important part of her life. His legacy was all around her, in the air she breathed and the rocky mountain beneath her feet. She would keep this tidbit from him in mind -- that bigger wasn't necessarily better.

"Would you practice with me?" Vega asked, glancing up at her mother but respectfully avoiding meeting her gaze. Sure, she could go give it a try with her brothers, but they were still engaged with each other. Besides, grappling with the skilled Hydra would provide her with a better lesson, in her mind -- and it would certainly be more exciting.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her daughters inquiry was met with a rumble of approval as she rose to all fours. Always, she added for good measure, very much so wanting this for each of them. Her daughter was still small, here and now, but Hydra took her training no less seriously for it. She encouraged her daughter with a long, low growl, baring her teeth; her tail swept in wide arcs behind her. Hydra would permit her daughter the first move, though already her defenses were set; her muzzle draped over her throat, her weight squared, and her ears pressed to her crown. She regarded her daughter with narrowed eyes, observing her for indication that she was being mimicked here as Hydra had taught them each of the importance of doing each of these things. 

She remembered the days she and her own mother would do this; how easily she had been bested as a cub! Even into her yearling years and beyond, her mother always ever seemed to be one step ahead of her; her father, too. With the lineage of two strong masters, it was no wonder Hydra was as strong and unyielding as she was. Though Dirge was no master of the trade her parents and herself had wielded, he was strong and hale, resilient and clever, resourceful, too—Hydra was eager to see what her own progeny would become, her hopes high.
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
Vega felt a little thrill of excitement when her mother granted her request. The Alpha female swept to her feet, cutting an impressive figure as she took a defensive stance. Momentarily, Vega was frozen in place, awestruck; but after a few heartbeats, she gave her head a little shake and returned to the present.

She noted the way Hydra's chin carefully protected her throat and her weight was evenly distributed between all four feet. She wouldn't be easy to knock off balance or catch off guard. Vega began to prowl thoughtfully around her mother, her own tail twitching to and fro as she considered her options. When she had circled her fully, she lunged forward with the intent to target Hydra's side just behind her shoulder -- fully expecting to be batted away easily, but still exhilarated by the opportunity to hone her skills.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra did not move as her daughter circled, and rumbled lowly; the noise that came from her would be foreboding to any stranger, though she was no danger to her family. They would learn as wolves would. It would look, and sound, violent—but it was not. Hydra's mouth was soft and her teeth gentle in their practice. Her children were too young, and small, for any weight at all to be thrown behind even a single punch. But they were old enough to learn. 

Her daughter came forward, then, and Hydra did not miss where her gaze landed. Vega would be easy enough to deflect, and Hydra would not make any of her children soft by making things easy for them when it came to what could happen in a true fight. This was not a true fight, though, but a spar. Her daughter had not set any of her defenses, and Hydra, wanting to instill this in her, surged forward with her daughter (though was measured in the action, not at all seeking to trample her) to distract her with a jaw spar, seeking to catch parted jaws with parted jaws so teeth only met teeth, for now.
53 Posts
Ooc — Kate
Even as it happened, Vega realized her mistake; her mother's teaching was so precise and impactful as to get this point across immediately. She had neglected to defend her own self in her quest to attack Hydra, and this was evident as the larger she-wolf met her would-be bite with teeth. The sensation was strange, as their canines met, but there was no real force behind her mother's counter-move, and while Vega felt a little tremor of frustration, she was also thrilled.

She backed up slightly and tilted her head, continuing the jaw spar with a few snaps of her own, mostly just expressing her childlike excitement but also encouraging Hydra to continue with her instruction.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's tail waved behind her as her daughter realized her error; though she had time to correct it, Vega did not. So to impress the point upon her, Hydra went for a vulnerable ear to hold gently between her own teeth if she struck true, rumbling deeply within her throat to remind Vega of her error. Still her tail beat in happy waves behind her; Vega was young yet, and would surely learn from this.

The matriarch was pleased her daughter was so spirited and invested in the task; she would ever teach and guide her in her lifetime in ways such as this. Times such as these made her feel close to her cubs, and when she taught them too; she so adored each of their tenacity and willingness to engage!