Hideaway Strath Blackbird singing in the dead of night
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Private 
For @Rye
Set for 9/14

She stood with her front legs in the river, letting the water run against her legs and wash the dirt from her fur. Water dripped down from her face, and she shook her head to wring out the excess. She had needed to clean the dirt from there as well. Sometimes, plant gathering was messy,  but she never minded it much so long as there was water nearby to wash her coat when she was done.

A pile of dandelion greens lay on the bank, evidence of her mornings work. In the fall, the weeds were mostly flowerless, and she found it a good time to dig them up and dry them out. The roots were just as useful, so she tried to persevere them as well. When she was finished cleaning her fur, she would find a sunny place to dry the plants out. But the dirt was stubborn today, and she had to lift her paws up and dip them back in the water multiple times to try and dislodge it. She was patient, though, and adamant about staying clean, so she continued her task, her mind wandering like it often did.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
is made up of light and shadow
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Going to assume they agreed to wait til morning for the tour or is this thread completely unrelated? Lemme know

The morning was lazy, and his body begging him to stay and sleep more but he wanted a bath. Not to mention a chance to chat with Effie, he was clueless as to where she wondered off to but he knew they would cross paths eventually. Rye rolled himself out of his grassy patch bed, and stretched his legs. After feeling all his joints pop and his muscles stretch, the male quickly went on his way to the river. Once he arrived (down the stream from Effie) he wasted no time hoping right in, cleaning his paws, jaw, neck and whatever else was mud covered. With his soaked body, Rye stood on the dryer parts of the bank and shook his entire body, ending with a tail flick. It was cold but he was willing to take the bitter with the sweet. The shake helped a ton in drying him off, although he wasn't perfectly dry, but to Rye that was natures job to finish. The sun kissed his fur with warmth through the small openings in the trees, sending shivers down his spine. 

After shaking off his water coat, he headed up stream, planning to hit the borders edge and start a patrol. His feet hit the ground in a fast pace dance of twos until he came upon Effie. He slowed down and smiled, happy to see once more. "Hey, what you got going there?" He asked, gesturing to the dandelion greens on the bank.
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
That works! We could say they were tired and decided to do it the next day

After some time and work, her paws were finally clean, but she stood in the water a little longer just in case. Rye's question made her turn, a warm smile on her face, and she exited the river with a shake of her coat. She hadn't wanted to seek him out in case it might bother him, but she had hoped to see him today. Dandelion greens, she answered. She nosed the pile a little and then looked back at him. I found them this morning and dug them up to try and dry them out. Her tail swayed a little as she spoke and because she couldn't help herself, she continued to tell him about the plants. They help a little with pain, but I like them because they're good for you to eat. They have a bitter taste, so it's something you have to get used to. Effie picked up one of the green leaves and brought it over to him. Do you want to try some? she asked, placing the plant at his feet.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Just a heads up, my replies are gonna slow down due to life picking up. I'll do my best to get a reply out everyday.

Helps with pain but bitter? It was no surpirse to him, medicine he ever took was bitter when it wasn't laced into his food. However he trusted Effies word and he pawed one out of the bunch. He looked at it with hesitation but ultimately lapped it up and started chewing. The bitter tasted the same from his youthful days of putting every plant and bug in his mouth. Nostalgic memories but not worth the after taste. Rye shuddered as he swallowed the last remnants of the dandelion. His face was twisted into a sour look but he forced a smile through it. 

"Is there a single plant out there that isn't bitter?" He asked, a genuine question. "Are you sure that eas good for me at all?" Also a genuine question. Medicine was hard to understand and how any wolf figured out what did what must've been one hell of a trial and error test.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
No worries <3 take however long you need

She wasn't sure he would actually try some considering most wolves didn't eat plants unless they had to. But he did, and she watched carefully as he picked up one of the greens and ate it. The face he made was adorable, and she couldn't help the soft giggle that escaped in response. It's an acquired taste, she explained, face still holding a grin. There aren't very many plants that won't be bitter, but there are a couple that taste okay. If I ever see any, I'll let you know, Effie continued. She gathered the plants back up and set them on a rock near the water. The sun warmed it's stony surface, and it looked like the perfect place to leave them to dry for the day. When she turned back to him, she answered his question. They have some good vitamins and minerals. You couldn't survive only on Dandelion greens, but they're nice to add into your diet. She came to stand in front of him. I know you're probably busy, but if you have some time to spare, maybe you could show me around? The plants were easy to find, but she figured she should get to know the territory better and find somewhere a little warmer to sleep than beside the river like she had done the night before.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
While not something Rye would consider taking everyday, he would think twice about taking some if ever sick again. Medicine was valued knowledge but not something Rye was completely into, he found the safistication and memorization of all the plants too hard to nail down. Though, he was sure those who had the mental compassion and compacity for it was luckier than most. While his thoughts ran his stomach was quick to show its displeasure with Ryes' decision in food but the male easily ignored the grumbling and small case of nausea.

"As delightful as that was, I think I'll stick with meats." He joked. It was comforting to knkw that some sort of medical wolf was staying within the grove, now he wouldn't be as worried about getting sick. Effies herbal prowess had yet to be shown on full display but Rye was interested in just how far her knowledge went. However, for now, things would have to wait. A tour was due, "Right-o, tour. Come on, follow me. Theres not too much to see but it fills everyones needs." He started off towards the border, his head gesturing to follow, planning to follow it back to the entrance of the territory and continue from there.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Effie laughed again. She, personally, didn't mind the taste of plants. In fact, she tasted just about every plant she could; knowing what they tasted like was part of learning about them. But she understood that it was not something most wolves would enjoy. Hmm. One of these days, I'll find something you'll like, she stated with a grin. She would make it her mission. That is, if he was still willing to try something she offered after making him eat something he so clearly didn't like. 

He agreed to show her around, and so she moved to his side, ready to follow and listen. I appreciate it, she answered with a polite dip of her head. Where does the pack have dens? Is it just in one spot? she asked, curious about everyone else's sleeping arrangements. Maybe they didn't have dens at all. She had spent many nights that way, and although she didn't prefer it, she could make it work if she had to. She would need some place to store plants, too. She wondered if there were any healers here or anyone else interested in plants, but she decided not to overload him with questions just yet.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
"I'd like that." He admitted. Rye was thankful Effie would take the time out of her day to find something he would like. Although it would be a lot of trial an error, or sour and bitter he was more than happy to experiment. The thought brough a smile to his face, but he quickly pushed it away and focused on the tour. Specifically Effies question, trying his best to pinpoint where majority of the pack had their dens. Rye decided it didn't matter. 

"Its up to you honestly, if you dont want one you dont have to have one. Which ever most comforts you." Personally Rye slept above ground, under a tree, even if it rained. However winter was encroaching on summer and Rye would opt for a warmer place to sleep. The male started heading towards the main hang out, the heart of the territory. Sort of. "I suppose you could make your den here in the rendezvous site, someone's always hanging out here. So you'll never be lonely." He added, a slight chuckle rumbling from his chest.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She smiled again, excited about the prospect of searching out just the right plant. It might take her bit, but she'd find something. 

He explained that she could either sleep in a den or out in the open. She thought about it for a few moments, but she was pretty sure she'd want a den, especially as the nights started to get colder. Do you have one? she asked curiously, interested to hear what he preferred. 

Rye led them to a place he called the rendezvous site and explained that it was a popular place for the pack to hang out. Well, that's good. I wouldn't want to get lonely, Effie replied with a smile. She knew she would be spending a lot of time here getting to know her packmates and being social, but she felt like she'd probably pick a den that wasn't so close to what she figured was the busiest part of the territory. She enjoyed being around others, but she like her own space to be a little more private. What's your favorite place here? she asked. Maybe he would show her that next.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
"No, usually in the summer I sleep outside, that is if I am in a pack. However winter is coming so that means I'll dig down." He informed. A part of him wanted to invite her to winter near by him but he decided that to be childish. Instead he spent the time he would've been using to build the courage to give that invite to think about his favorite spot. He hummed, showing he was thinking, even going as far to space out in order to think of what he never gave a thought to. Eventually he came to a conclusion, it was "My bed." He stated simply, grinnng. A spark of confidence surged through him, unbeknownst why however, but his grin turned to a cheeky smirk. "Care to see?" His eyes glanced in her direction, the smirk still on his lips. His heart hammered against his chest, and he couldn't help but laugh. He was absurdly curious to see what her reaction would be.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her mouth twisted in thought as she listened to him describe his sleeping preferences. She wasn't sure she would want to sleep outside but wondered if it might be better with a partner, her mind unknowingly drifting to the same place Rye's had gone. She considered this digging down he mentioned he would do when it grew colder and immediately decided that it sounded messy. She wasn't sure she'd like that either.

She hadn't expected his favorite spot to be his bed, but she didn't blame him; having your own, safe sleeping spot sounded nice. She also didn't expect his bold invitation. Her eyes widened in surprise as her heart picked up speed. And man was she glad he wouldn't be able to see how hot her cheeks were just then. She swallowed hard and looked away as her steps slowed, unsure whether or not he was joking. She supposed someone more confident and experienced than she was might have gone with it, quickly offering some cute, witty response, but Effie's mind raced instead; she was neither of those things and so she was fresh out of witty replies at the moment. Truthfully, she wanted to play along; he was awfully cute, and the smirk he was currently aiming at her made her heart beat even faster. But her dumb nerves got in the way, and all she was able to offer in response was a quiet huff of soft laughter and a shy smile as she continued to look away, still unable to meet his gaze.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye laughed heartily at her reaction, in part cause her reaction was truly amusing but also to hide the fact that he just realized how dumb that was. His own cheeks would visibly flare red if it weren't for his fur covering his body. Rye felt giddy around her and was quickly able to move on to the caches, which were at the moment still full of food but nothing compared to the week prior. "And this, is our wonderful cache. Majority of the time, its got food. I have yet to see this place barren of spoils, maybe a few slabs of meat spoiled cause of obvious reasons but just smell what you're gonna chew on before biting down." His brain flashed back to a few weeks ago when he got a hold of some stale meat. Ruenna showed up around then, Rye wondered what she was up to, he thought she was quite the nice girl. 

"Anyways, that concludes this tour. Not much I know but tis what I was showed upon my arrival here." Where was Phox? MIA, Rye guessed. Onto a totally different thought process, when was Effies last bite to eat? "Have you nosed around the cache since arriving?"
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her eyes widened again at his laugh before falling to her feet. She wondered why her shyness and ineptitude regarding his implication was so funny to him. Hurt bloomed, unwanted, in her chest. It was stupid to be hurt by something so small, but she was, unfortunately, incredibly sensitive, especially, it seemed, when it came to Rye, and specifically when that was the subject of conversation. If only she was privy to his thoughts, she might feel differently, but she wasn't and all she had to go on was what she saw. She quietly observed the cache as he told her about it, trying to pay attention and forget about her embarrassing moment of insecurity. Intellectually, she knew he hadn't meant it that way, but it was hard to convince her stupid brain of that. 

He announced the end of the tour, and she offered him a small smile. She was about to thank him again, but then he asked her a question. She shook her head. Um, no. I didn't feel right taking food before I could contribute something in return, she explained.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
If only he knew what he had caused, there would be no end to his apologies. Alas he was in the dark, hopefully with time, Effie would learn to understand his (quite frankly) less than smart side. Anywho, Rye looked at her as she spoke, frowning slightly as she informed him of her lack of food. He shook his head, "No, no, no, that won't do. You should eat, we can make up the difference another time but for now you should keep yourself going. Please, eat." He pleaded.

Was there any words to describe her other than elegance and grace? Ryes' vocabulary was unequivocally lacking to fit the bill, however he knew what he felt. Oftentimes he could only describe it as adoration, perhaps not in the complete affectionate way but more along the lines of enjoying someones personality. Who they are, how the speak, the way they think and act. Those were the traits he found himself to be fond of in others. Effie was no doubt one of those wolves. Selflessness was to be added to the ever growing pool of traits Effie had but Rye already knew that.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
He insisted that she eat, and now that she was thinking about it, she guessed she was kind of hungry. She looked between him and the cache a few times before selecting a hare off the top. Something small that she was more likely to be able to replace. She took a bite and chewed, feeling a little awkward eating right now, but he had asked her to. 

She settled on the ground with the meal between her front legs, pausing after she had taken a few bites to look up at him. I have to admit...I'm not the best at hunting, she stated, ears falling a little and cheeks heating from embarrassment. Where I grew up, women weren't allowed to hunt. It's only been recently that I started learning, and I'm not very good at it yet. She hated it but decided she should inform him now before he saw for himself. It was definitely not a skill that came as easy to her as understanding plants, and she hated that her old pack had kept her from doing something so vital to pack life.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Shall we wrap this up and begin a new one sometime?

Bizzare. Females forbidden to learn skills vital to a packs life? Rye gathered reasons why that rule would be set in place but he came up with nothing. The male wondered what it felt like for Effie to be able to do what she liked without reproductions. Hopefully she found it liberating, but he knew it could also be uncomfortable in the sense that it was usual for her. Rye understood her desire to meet again with her family but he couldn't help but feel he would profusely protest agaisnt her departure. Inequality wasn't something Rye could let stay so freely. He hoped she'd enjoy the freedom within AG, enough she would want to stay.

"Damn.." He whispered, still caught up in that no hunting rule. "Sorry to hear but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm not the best either but I can teach you what I know, or anyone else can. I'm sure we have good hunters here. For now though, just catch what you can." He smiled. Hunting wasn't everything, the fact she had some medical knowledge was more than enough to contribute to the pack. Rye felt he should give her space to eat in peace, but wasn't sure if she was bothered by him. He decided to wait, and guess from her next set of words.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Sure! We can have a new one whenever you want <3

Feel free to reply once more or archive :)

Her tail wagged when he offered to teach her what he knew about hunting. Even if he claimed to not be the best, she was almost positive he was better than she was. I would love that, she said, a grateful smile curving her lips. She knew her upbringing was quite a bit different than most, and she was also beginning to see how wrong a lot of it was. Unfortunately, she kind of had a lot of catching up to do. She was thankful she at least had Rye to help her out.

She started to eat again but paused after only one bite, swallowing her mouthful as she looked back to Rye. You don't have to stick around if you don't want to, she said quietly, ears falling a little. I mean, you're welcome to, but if you have something else you need to do... she rambled a little nervously. Truthfully, she enjoyed his company and would like for him to stay, at least for a little bit, but she didn't want to hold him here if he was busy.

Either way, she hoped she would be seeing a lot more of him after this. She didn't hold any hurt feelings from before against him; he seemed way too sweet to ever make her feel that way intentionally. She definitely wanted to get to know him even better.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
I'll start one up sometime soon!

As much as Rye wished to stay, he felt he over stayed his welcome. The female deserved to eat her meal in peace, Rye needed to get back to his usual border patrol anyhow. No doubt the entire trek across the land, his mind would be filled to the brim with thoughts of Effie. His fondness for the female grew with each conversation, and every little thing he learnes about her. "I think I'll head off to patrol or something. It was nice talking with you, see you around." Rye gave a soft smile before turning and trotting off into the distance. Already eager for the next time he would get to see her.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."