Blackfeather Woods helplessly hoping her harlequin hovers nearby
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Private 
for @Reed if/when you have time <333 backdated to 09/14 ish

Maegi couldn't be more pleased, these past several days. Her son was home and safe, and furthermore, an old friend had made her way to the woods—a friend she never expected to see here. She let out a soft howl for Reed, following the most recent traces of the island woman's scent in an effort to track her down.

Why had she come? Surely Undersea was superior to Blackfeather in terms of paradise; Maegi had only returned here because she was inextricably tied to this forest, by blood and by soul. And even then, she sometimes missed the sun and the surf, the peaceful calm of Coelacanth's isle. Every once in a while, she'd let her mind drift there, as if on the waves. . .

No doubt she had experienced some terrible things, there. But she had experienced terrible things everywhere, and said things were much easier to weather surrounded by kind hearts and beautiful scenery. It made her wonder—and her heart lodged in her throat at the thought—if something horrible had happened there, to drive Reed and others away.

She supposed she'd find out, and set on, a more grim look to her face as she contemplated the possibilities.
I'M A FLASH IN A CLASS OF MY OWN
110 Posts
Ooc — remus
always have time 4 u bb

she waits with measured impatience for maegi to return, occupying herself by learning the forest's particularities. a strange, foreboding place indeed, and yet reed finds it suits her. to be somewhere so different from undersea -- good. otherwise would invoke too many memories, and she has no time to carry nostalgia with her. 

instead: she catalogues the plant life she encounters, pleased by its surprising variety hidden under the gloom. however, maegi's howl pulls her quickly from the task. finally.

reed winds around the trees quickly toward the source of the call, her expression lighting up when she sees her friend. the somber look on her face makes her pause. raising an eyebrow, she says, "i hope there's a reason for your face that isn't my being here," though she can't quite make the haughtiness stick in her voice the way she wants to, too pleased by the reunion.
READ THE FUTURE IN MY PALMS THEN WASHED MY HANDS
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Almost as soon as she caught sight of the ruddy pelt, she heard Reed's voice, smug as ever. Maegi had once despised that tone; now, she couldn't be happier to hear it. She let out a snort and hobbled her way toward the woman, unable to keep a smile from her face. Her shoulders rose and fell in a casual shrug, brows high.

It is, but not how you think, she responded cryptically, then burst into a bemused laugh. What are you doing here? I mean, obviously I'm really happy to see you. . .but is everything okay. . .on the island?

She dragged out the last part of her query, almost afraid to hear the answer. But it was an essential part of the story; Reed just wouldn't come traipsing to Blackfeather Woods on a whim. Perhaps this was a temporary stay, a stop on the journey, but even so. . . The shadowy forest wasn't exactly a tourist trap.
110 Posts
Ooc — remus

for a moment, reed wants to be offended, her neck bristling: but maegi's clarification puts things to rights, instead causing the red-flame woman to look away quickly. no, of course maegi would have no reason to know, would she, if she's been here? "well," reed begins, pausing to draw in a breath and look at her friend once more.

"undersea is no more. no one lives on the island now," she explains. "seelie and her family - i think they went to their homeland... i'm not sure where my brother or mother left to. i studied under a woman for a while, though i never learned her name, and i've been traveling alone for some time since." the further away from them she gets, the more her time spent with the witch feels like an odd dream, out of place with the rest of her history--she's eager to be done with all of that now. "but - how about you? what is this place?" she knows maegi is important, somehow, here; frankly, she looks so at home in the shadows its hard to even picture her in the sandy beaches of undersea now.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She grimaced slightly at Reed's bristle but all resolved itself within a heartbeat; as someone who tended to take things the wrong way, Maegi could anticipate when others did the same. She would have rather dealt with anger, anyway, than the words that fell from her friend's mouth next. She stood, stupefied, jaw slightly agape as the ruddy girl gave the details.

I'm sorry to hear that, she responded finally, after silence fell between the pair for a moment. She couldn't imagine that island without Seelie. . .the inky she-wolf was its heart and soul. What could grow there, now? In that case, I'm really glad you're here. I'm happy to have you.

Reed's question brought levity to her expression once more. She smiled, casting her eyes upward toward the dark canopy before bringing them to rest again on her friend's face. This is my home, Maegi said, keeping it blissfully simple. I was born here. I belong here. I'll probably die here. As if on cue, a raven croaked, and she added, It's called Blackfeather Woods.
110 Posts
Ooc — remus
so srry for the wait!!

maegi's reaction makes some small part of her want to bristle further; what right does she have to feel about it when she left? but--no, her own complicated feelings about undersea are not maegi's fault. reed steels her shoulders, more than a little glad to be past the subject when maegi explains where they are.

blackfeather woods, huh. again, she is struck by how right maegi seems here--makes sense, if this is her birthhome. she grins, insatiably curious to know all about it. still, this doesn't seem the time for that conversation when there are still puzzle pieces missing. "i'm glad to have found you here," she says, "where is mou?" his absence had not gone unnoticed, though whether that's simply because he's away on business or because of something deeper, reed has no idea.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She really should have anticipated the question. Really. The three of them had been inseparable, almost, on the island, but now. . . Reed wouldn't know, would she? Maegi would have to give her the truth, the whole ugly truth of all of it. Well, perhaps not all of it. But most.

He's gone, she said succinctly, unable to meet her friend's eyes. He was here for a while, but then he left. I never saw him after that. Just as mysteriously as he had appeared within her life, he had vanished. Would he ever emerge again?

I'm much happier now that you're here, Maegi added, trying to lighten the mood. Her lips split in a smirk as she added, Don't ditch me, too. She flicked her tail down a nearby path, signaling for Reed to follow. Perhaps a little tour was in order. Have you met any of my children? she asked. Sobek, Sakhmet, Anansi. . .?

They wandered on, engrossed in conversation. Maegi was just happy to have a good friend by her side once more.