Sun Mote Copse and stood awhile in thought
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
All Welcome 
Heads up: this post/thread contains some graphic violence.

Breathing hard, Sugar looked down at the squirrel at her feet. It was breathing even harder, erratically, twitching noisily on the bed of leaf litter. She had broken at least one of its legs and perhaps even its back with a swift stroke of her small paw. She knew she should have mercy on it and dispatch it, though her fascination warred with her natural instincts. Part of her even wanted to help the poor creature now, put it to rights, and that was absurd even what with her interest in the field of medicine.

Finally, she blinked those depthless black eyes and struck out a paw again, pinning the flopping rodent to the ground and bending down to snap her teeth around its throat. Its neck crunched and all movement ceased as a pool of blood began to stain the leaves. Sugar watched it spreading for a moment before blinking again and plucking the fresh, warm carcass off the ground and carrying it beneath the sparse shade of a nearly bare maple tree. She took a seat on its skirt of "helicopters."

She laid the slain squirrel near the tree's roots but did not begin to eat. Sugar sat and contemplated the cooling corpse for a few minutes, then deftly reapplied her fangs, this time slicing open the pale underbelly. The cut was much more jagged than she would've liked. Sugar watched the dark blood ooze out slowly, then used both her muzzle and her paws to tear the gaping postmortem wound open wider, until she was smeared with blood and the squirrel's insides were on full, macabre display.

Title from "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
hiii hope you dont mind me joining! :P

Chanel was just beginning to settle into the Firebirds pack. It was only a short day or two before, when she had been appointed the role of Comrade by the kind Miss Wraen. She wandered, although cautiously, through the pack's land- familiarizing herself with its layout. It was not long until her ears detected heavy breathing- nearby- where was it? She followed the sound to its source, to find a tiny girl, hunched over something. Firstly, she noticed the girl's fur coloring- uniquely beautiful, with an array of stripes winding down her face in an organized manner. Secondly, she noticed the girl's adorable pink nose, a somewhat uncommon feature in wolves, but a charming one. And third, with just a look at her, Chanel figured the girl could not be more than a year old, in fact, she certainly seemed younger than that.

As she approached with caution, she almost reeled back at the sight of the bloody mess juxtaposing the sweet looking girl. Her little muzzle was covered in dark blood too. What the fuck? She wondered, to herself of course. Naturally Chanel had seen bloodied animals before- she was a wolf after all, she had hunted for many months. What disturbed her was the wide tear, the intestines oozing out from a gaping hole in the flesh. The little girl didn't seem to be eating it- at least not yet. Was she just observing its guts? Chanel found it somethig barbaric, unaware she had likely done the same thing as a small pup, before being reprimanded by her parents to act more like a lady and just eat her food. But Chanel was curious as to why the little girl wasn't eating already. Is this what a pack wolf's child acts like? What a warrior's child acts like? She decided the girl, within the land, was likely a Firebird too. And so she approached, gently and politely, trying not to show her disgust at the display of guts before her. "Hi Dear. I'm Chanel. What are you up to... here?" she said, awkwardly referring to the mess.
threads 3/5
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
Happy to have you! :D

She simply gazed at the dissected carcass for a long moment, starting when she heard someone approaching. Caught red-handed, she looked up from her grisly project and felt a measure of surprise when her dark eyes clapped upon the visage of a perfect stranger. The striped fur along her spine prickled warily, though one quick intake of breath through her nose told her what she needed to know: this stranger bore the Sovereign's scent, which surely meant she was part of the pack. She must be a newcomer.

The youngster didn't reply right away. After ascertaining the woman's scent, her black eyes roved over her face and figure, taking in her fair features. During this once-over, Sugar distractedly wondered what to say. Should she simply claim she was eating, albeit messily? Or should she attempt to explain that she was curious about the squirrel's inner workings? She felt an inexplicable measure of iniquity, though the more she examined her doings, Sugar didn't see why she should feel as though she'd done something wrong.

"I'm Sugar," she began, turning her attention to the kill, "and I was looking at its insides." There it was again, that sense of wrongdoing, so Sugar quickly explained, "I want to be a medic. I want to understand how... bodies work." Did that make sense? That bred a question, a strange one to pose to a perfect stranger, yet Sugar went ahead and queried, "Do squirrels and wolves look the same on the inside?"
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
Sugar, Chanel thought, What an adorable name! When Sugar first stated she was 'looking at its insides', once again Chanel felt some disgust, though she would not let her face show it. But as the little girl explained she wanted to be a medic, it caused the yearling wonder. The lady was more aimless than a child and she felt annoyed by that fact, that a child already understood their passions, their call, while Chanel had yet to find her talent, her purpose. And though she still didn't find the display of guts pleasant, she respected the dedication of the kid to her trade. 

When Sugar asked if wolves and squirrels look the same on the inside, Chanel thought for a moment. Thinking in too much detail about her own guts made her feel a bit queasy, but if she thought about it more scientifically, without connecting it to herself, she could handle it. These were the kind of things her father would teach her- yes, there was the brain... the heart... the ribs, the spine, the intestines... bones... and muscle. And the stomach, of course. And she'd definitely seen most of that in squirrels before eating... But she had never ripped into the head. So she tried her best to answer Sugar's question with her limited anatomical knowledge: "From what I've seen, I think we may. We certainly share a heart, a stomach, intestines, bones... But Dear, I can't tell you whether a squirrel has a brain in its head. I haven't the slightest idea." And for a moment her childish curiousty made her wonder whether they could crack open its head right now to find out, but immidiately her trained and mannered side scolded herself, for having such a vulgar idea.
threads 3/5
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
If the query disturbed her, Chanel didn't show it. She appeared to think a moment before answering. Sugar was old enough now to question an adult's knowledge on any given subject matter, though largely she still took an elder's wisdom at face value. Even though Chanel was more or less a stranger still, Sugar bobbed her head in acceptance and acknowledgement. The last few words from Chanel's mouth caused something of a spark to glister in the youngster's impossibly black eyes.

"Want to find out?" she asked, unaware that Chanel had already dismissed the notion out of hand as vulgar. Although Sugar waited for a response, her attention now fixed upon the squirrel's small head as she began wondering about the best way to crack open a skull.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
The slightly mischievous look in the kid's eyes did not go unnoticed by Chanel. She smirked slightly at it, before Sugar asked her the question: Want to find out? Chanel's deep brown eyes widened slightly; the child was curious in the same way she was- only the child hadn't been taught not to do this sort of thing. For a moment she contemplated saying no- that it was a bit too gruesome- but for the first time in her life, her classy parents weren't there. Watching over her to make sure she gave the right response. And even though in some ways she still wanted to be viewed as civil and well-behaved by her fellow pack members, she did not want to pass up this opportunity to let her curiosity run wild.

So her eyes lit up with the same curiosity and playfulness as the child, as she responded: "Sure, darling. Let's open it up!" She laughed lightly as she approached Sugar. Chanel got a better close-up view of the torn corpse, the sight of which made her wince slightly and piqued her curiosity all the same. "How do you want to go about this?" She asked the child, letting her lead the process. After all, by letting Sugar take the lead, she maintained her classiness- I didn't propose it, just agreed to it. That means I'm not responsible for this act... right? She wondered to herself as she eagerly awaited the little girl's response.
threads 3/5
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
Chanel seemed a little taken aback, though only for a split second. Soon she was encouraging Sugar to crack 'er open. She even laughed, as if the notion was amusing to her. But as far as how to go about it, she didn't have any advice, instead questioning Sugar on how she thought to approach the matter.

"Hmmm," was Sugar's ponderous reply as she struck out a forefoot and pressed it against the dead squirrel's head. The skull felt firm beneath the weight of her paw, solid too. She could attempt to bash at it with her foot, though that seemed like a clumsy way to go about it.

"I think I should do this," she announced a heartbeat before ducking her head over the kill, jaws opening and then closing around the squirrel's head. She hoisted it a few inches into the air for better leverage, then applied pressure, lightly at first before bearing down more and more. Eventually, the bones gave way, her teeth crushing through the skull.

Sugar promptly dropped the carcass, not wishing to completely pulverize the head. She beheld her handiwork then: the squirrel's head now featured two discernible punctures, presumably from her canines, with a fissure in between that exposed some of the brain matter. There was only a sliver of red and pink, though, and Sugar glanced at Chanel for a second before deciding to involve a paw after all.

The first time the youth swung, she missed and smacked the squirrel's shoulders. The second time, she whacked her target but nothing happened aside from badly jostling the entire corpse. With a small sound of frustration, Sugar placed her paw over the partially caved-in skull and simply pressed down her weight until the whole thing ended up exploding like a watermelon. Gore splattered everywhere.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
Chanel could only watch with dual horror and interest as Sugar took things into her own hands (or paws), wrapping her jaws around the skull to break it with an audible crack. Then the girl smacked the limp corpse back and forth like a ragdoll, before stepping directly onto it with her weight, forcing its insides out the punctures. 

A gross squelch met Chanel's ears and she cringed with disgust. Something wet smacked into her cheek in the same instant. Chanel was paralyzed, afraid to ask if it was what she thought it was. After a moment of hesitation she let out a high-pitch squeal of revulsion, taking as quick a swipe of her paw as possible to her face. She couldn't help but glance to the ground at the small piece of juicy squirrel brain matter, and a shiver ran down her spine at the thought that the guts had touched her gorgeous face. 

She halfway wanted to growl at the child for the brain explosion. She had not been warned that she was in the splash zone. But she held it back, and instead tried her best to be a good friend. "Great job Sugar! Look... I suppose it really does have a brain! Just doesn't use it very much," Chanel joked playfully. She hoped the child had learned something from this mess, because in her mind, she sacrificed her cleanliness for Sugar's medical education. Chanel tried her best to remain positive but every bone in her body was telling her to go wash her face right now.
threads 3/5
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
She went very still as blood and brain matter slowly dripped down her face, still slightly warm but cooling rapidly. Instinctively, Sugar's pink tongue poked out of her mouth to lick the cruor from her chops. She froze again at the sound of Chanel's scream, neck eventually snapping in that direction. She watched as the she-wolf tried to wipe bits of grume off her own face, her expression blank until Chanel stopped and, surprisingly, complimented her on her endeavor.

Sugar grinned then, looking quite macabre with the pulverized remains sticking to her face. "Yeah, it definitely had something in there," she quipped in agreement, then suggested, "We should go clean up. There's a stream not far from here. C'mon." Sugar waved a petite paw, then began shuffling away from the scene of the crime.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
Chanel's eyes moved towards Sugar as she began to speak. She, too, had a face wet by the blood and brains that had hit her. Despite her rather grisly appearance, the little girl's grin warmed Chanel's heart, and she let out a breath of relief when the girl suggested they go wash off in the stream. So she has some care for being civil, after all! Chanel thought to herself. 

Though she had begun exploring the area and familiarizing herself with the layout of the land, Chanel was only half sure that she remembered the direction of the stream. She hesitated before telling Sugar, "Lead the way, darling!", confident that the kid knew the directions better than she did.
threads 3/5
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
She glanced at the squirrel's remains, making a note to return and clean up the mess here too. Most likely, she would eat the parts she could and bury the rest. Facing forward again, Sugar bobbed her head at Chanel and picked up the pace a little bit, intuiting that her pack mate was eager to get the grime and gunk off her pretty pelt.

They reached the stream in no time at all. Sugar noticed a thin skin of ice on the surface, which broke apart at a touch. The brittle shards of ice drifted downstream and she dipped a paw in the frigid water, holding her breath and shivering a little as she splashed it across her chest and face. Pink runoff dripped down her legs and all her palest patches of fur were left stained, though at least there were no more sticky chunks clinging to her.

She looked sideways to see how Chanel was faring. "Thanks for being my assistant," Sugar thought to say, her tail waving.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
Chanel giggled lightly as Sugar's paw broke the thin layer of ice with the lightest touch. She looked down at her reflection: a beautiful young girl, with some blood splattered upon her face. The girl wasn't particularly eager to dip herself in the cold water, only eager to wash herself.

She braced herself as best she could for the temperature of it, and yet her teeth clenched as she dipped her paw in, and stepped right into the cold stream. She shivered as she splashed water upon her face and chest, and even submerged her head in the water with her eyes closed and breath held for a moment, to be thorough. Chanel glanced up and made eye contact with the girl as she thanked her for her company. 

"Of course, Sugar! I'm glad I got to meet you today. Hopefully I can meet the other Firebirds soon too." She said enthusiastically. She was eager to settle into the pack well, and one of the most important steps to this was accquanting herself with the members who served as the foundation of the group.
threads 3/5
360 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Ranger
Chanel returned her look, face soaked, and Sugar's smile broadened. She was very pretty, even when dripping wet. "You missed a spot," the youth said lightly, picking up a paw to point at her own chin. There was still a smear of something grayish pink stuck to Chanel's jawline.

While Chanel took care of that, Sugar offered, "I can take you to meet them. Well, some of them: whoever we can find." She tilted her head. "I'll go clean up the rest of my mess, then I can take you, if you want?" She could feel a cold drop of water slithering down her cheekbone and rubbed at it idly with a crooked paw before setting it back on the ground and giving her new friend an expectant look.

You could fade here (and assume she made some acquaintances behind the scenes), if you like!
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
Joining 
yep yep ok! thanks for the thread :D

As Sugar pointed out a bit of something left on Chanel's jaw, she wiped it off quickly, thankful for the kid's help. Then the girl suggested that Chanel and her could go to meet some fellow pack members; the lady nodded happily. Once Sugar finished washing up, the two climbed up out from the chilly water, back onto the shore. Sugar led Chanel as they searched to find their fellow Firebirds, and Chanel was glad she had come across the little girl, despite her initial shock at the bloodied squirrel.
threads 3/5