Big Salmon Lake magnesium
41 Posts
Ooc — Sharp
All Welcome 
It was getting chillier and chillier every day. The thought crossed the dappled gray wolf as if it were news but truly, the temperature had been on the decline for weeks. The real difference was only that now, Markus was beginning to really notice. His nose pointed to the sky as he watched snow clouds - grey, yet oddly bright - drift in the expanse. That snow would fall home, soon, and then he'd really be feeling it. Frowning a bit, he looked back across the lake he'd discovered - quiet, inactive for the moment but promising. His nose told him that no one lived here - no one like him, a wolf, at least. That made it unsafe and cold but he did like it - there was a refreshing feel to the whole thing. Light, airy. He breathed in deep - the air snapped a little. He would bet that the lake froze in winter. He might have to come back, when the idea of freezing to death alone wasn’t weighing so much on his mind. 

He approached the lake shore at a slow, casual walk - one foot in front of the other. If he truly was worried about finding other warm bodies before winter, his pace didn't show it. Bending to stare at his reflection in the water, he locked eyes with himself. Again, he frowned. His stare was hard and a bit cold but also deeply curious at the aqua doppleganger. He tilted his head and the other did the same. He flattened his ears, the reflection followed. He showed his teeth, closed one eye, poked the surface so as to break the illusion and waited for it to come again before he stared at it sharply once more. There it was, predictably looking back at him. He bent to drink from his own face and the iciness of it bit deep, almost as if in relation for his mockery. He drank of it thirstily - the colder, the better when it came to quenching thirst. It was subzero, though, and it felt like crystals in his throat. Soon, his teeth began to hurt and he withdrew his tongue from the lake. He left it out of his mouth, though, his teeth gently closed around it. It felt like an icicle and Markus smiled quietly as he focused on the weird lack of sensation on his tongue, not quite noticing if the birds sang or the deer came or even if the bushes swayed.
19 Posts
Ooc — mutton
In the shadows of the trees lurked a creature. He lay there quietly and mildly amused. And what had bought this mocking grin to his face? A man, a stranger, no older than him. Oh how foolish he looked way over there, playing with his reflection as if it were a funhouse mirror. It was an entertaining spectacle, a much needed one at that.

You see, Abedi had been restless for the past month. Nondofir had awoken and he shook his tail with furosity.  Could he, a priest with no followers, be the cause of this? Did his god know of the terrible deed he wished to inflict upon his kin? "But Nondofir," he pleaded over and over again, "I did not go through with it! And I never will!" He prayed for forgiveness day in and day out.

Yes this entertainment was much needed indeed...

You put on quite an act before you drink good sir. He hums this as he pulls away from the darkness and approaches the stranger's side.
two rat snakes, hasina and nea, are coiled around his neck at all times. feel free to reference them

common | swahili
41 Posts
Ooc — Sharp
As bored and...well, frankly, alone as he was he didn't think about being seen and certainly didn't consider the repercussions. He looked like an idiot. He would have looked upon himself with pity and annoyance if he'd been a spectator instead of the show. As it were, he did not have the luxury of sitting on the outside looking in. The wolf who approached him, though, two snakes wound around his throat - he was definitely from the audience. And apparently he’d seen plenty. 

Markus withdrew his tongue and his teeth met in a gentle click. His ears flattened and he looked askance. He was embarrassed, yes, but mostly irritated with himself. He was going to have an imaginary discussion of sorts with his reflection, he shouldn’t have been in the middle of an open lake shore. Interrupting his inner chastising, however, his brain reminded him of something his eyes had seen. Were there snakes? He was sure he'd seen snakes. His attention snapped back to the other wolf and yes, there were snakes.

"So you say and I guess I agree, sure...but what part of the act are you? What's up with the...uh...accessories?" This guy was suggesting that Markus was weird. Well. There was a lake-mirror he could take a look at right over there.
19 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Abedi could guess his next inquiry, with the curious glance at his familiars and all. Ah yes his beloved snakes, both a blessing and a curse. How lucky was he to have messengers of the gods wrapped around his body! One could only dream of having such gifts bestowed upon them. He tried to think of the positives of their presence but he could not shake an underlying anxiety. Two worshiped creatures coiled around his throat, close enough to hear his dastardly thoughts. How pleasent.

Hasina and Nea hissed as soon as the words left his tongue, the perfect timing caused him to chuckle. I am part of no act. He lowered his chin to brush the sleek scales of his companions. I'm just a nomadic man traveling with my gifts from the gods.
two rat snakes, hasina and nea, are coiled around his neck at all times. feel free to reference them

common | swahili
41 Posts
Ooc — Sharp
Honestly, Markus had thought nothing too strange about the guy before that moment. He wore live necklaces and if he were being honest, yeah, he was kind of creepy. All dark and slinky-like. But the grey wolf hadn’t gotten a single sniff of crazy town until the man spoke of his god-gifts. His snake-god-gifts. Well...that was definitely different.

Markus didn't immediately turn and leave, maybe at a trot to be safe. He may have only just picked on the cues of nuttiness in the guy but he didn't feel threatened quite yet. He tried to keep the look of amused disbelief from his expression as he watched the darker male pet his god-gifts. Markus definitely wasn't the weird one here, no matter what he and his reflection did when he thought they were alone.

"From the gods, huh?" He cocked his head, imploring. "What gods? Why snakes? Seems a bit weird for a gift."
19 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Abedi was far from his homelands, he was furthered reminded of this inquired about his gifts. He lifted his chin and let forth a sharp, yet entertaining, huff. He pitied wolves who did not know of Nyokadini. The priest wouldn't waste time informing this poor soul.

My dear sir of course they are strange to you. A snide remark masked with a chuckle and smile. But you see they are very important to me. It's not every day a wolf from our teachings can bear such divine creatures around their throats. These snakes are a vessel for the gods. They bring their messages to me.

And to answer the first question: The gods are much like these two you see here. Only larger and more powerful than you can ever imagine.

common | swahili
41 Posts
Ooc — Sharp
It just got stranger. The wolf huffed an almost pitying laugh and Markus cocked his head ever slightly, a questioning and dubious expression on his face, though it lacked offense. Markus wasn't from around here, that was true, but he thought that maybe this guy really wasn't from around here. Or he hoped, at least - if all the locals were this way, he would grow quickly tired.

"My dear sir of course they are strange to you."

"I think they'd be strange to anyone." he muttered quietly, not caring whether or not the other wolf heard him. He listened to the rest of the message as one does a droning lecture with exactly one simple point to make. The snakes were divine, this guy was special because they were his bling, and he thought they talked to him. Yeah, full crazy town. Still, Markus didn't feel the need to run into the forest and hope the guy didn't know where he lived (which was nowhere, so...). Again, not yet at least.

"Why would a wolf follow a snake?" He asked, almost without thinking. Seemed strange. These special gods were just giant snakes? "And what does a snake care for a wolf?"
19 Posts
Ooc — mutton
The subtle comment that falls from his lips is lost on a deaf ears. Abedi was too starstruck in the moment. Speaking of his mighty gods had that affect. He relished in the temporary enthusiasm. The feeling reminded him of the days he would sit with his mother and brother, learning all there is to know of Nyokadini. Simpler times. Better ones too. 

They breathed life into us and they continue to care for us each day until we die. And even then they watch us in the afterlife. If they put that much time and effort into us surely they must care, wouldn't you agree? He paused briefly before continuing. One who knows of their deeds simply can't help but worship them.

common | swahili
41 Posts
Ooc — Sharp
While Markus did still believe the guy to be unhinged, at least to some degree, he did grow a bit interested in the actual mythology presented to him. His dubious expression shifted slowly into one of guarded curiosity. Breathed life into 'us'? 'Us' as in wolves? Markus still did not understand why a snake would care about wolves. Why they would create them. 

"So what are we, art projects?" He asked, his voice now projecting much less sarcasm. Then, as an afterthought, "Did they ask to be worshipped?" 
19 Posts
Ooc — mutton
The man's increased curiosity bought a satisfied smile to his face. Ah, he forgot how this felt, guiding the lost souls of this world. Although he had not sought to be a priest in his youth he had grown to enjoy it from time to time. It was stressful business, but seeing one's eyes light up in wonder made it worth while for a moment.

I suppose you could say that, he hummed. My my, such high praise. They never asked, no. And they don't force anyone to do so. Just live your life free of sin. Stay clear of Hilaeusi whispers. Do this and you will return to them in the afterlife.

common | swahili
41 Posts
Ooc — Sharp
"Return to them." Markus repeated, eyes shifting again to watch the two snakes around the stranger's throat. Vacantly he wondered if they were venomous. That would have been genuinely interesting - keeping company, and staying alive, with volatile death noodles around your neck. "So we're pets, actually." He concluded.

Markus had finally decided that the man was truly harmless enough. He met eyes with him and again regarded him with quiet curiosity. "You believe this completely." It wasn't a question and he didn't pose it as such. "Are you alone?"