Witch's Marsh with a mind so dark and skin so white
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
The marsh was quiet these days, but she wondered often what it would be like if the world wasn't ending. What sort of creatures would flourish here in the expanse of wetland? What sort of birds would she see in the spring, and what songs would they sing? It all felt so far from reality right now; that this place, the entirety of the Wilds, was soon to collapse. Ibis did not want to let herself think of such a dark and frightening universe but she was alone with her thoughts again, drifting along a rise of stable earth where the reeds did not grow, looking out at the massive puddles of standing water around her. It went on for miles. In the next few weeks the cold would deepen, the water would freeze, and then what? What would become of her? As she breathed a drawn sigh, a plume of condensation formed a little cloud that dissipated before her snout - already the air was cold enough to see breath, she thought. The winter may already be here.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
They'd long-since left and taken any evidence of their existence with them. The only scents within the cuesta were those of strangers and recent passer-bys, none of whom she'd been looking for. The Wilds were different from the way she'd left them. 

It'd been days since her last meal. Bhediya wondered if her misdirection was a result of general delirium, likely caused by malnutrition. Maybe, had she had something more than brewing acid inside of her stomach, she would have been able to find their trails and they would reunite. 

Maybe.

There was another wolf in the distance. Bhediya approached apprehensively, giving a short chuff as greeting.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The last thing she expected to find was another wolf, and to be honest she did not immediately connect the petite creature with her own kind; it was rare enough to find strangers near the mire let alone another creature as small as her—beyond that, even! The stranger drifted close and Ibis would have certainly remained oblivious had they not chuffed to break the stillness, and upon turning her attention to the sound, she had to study the curious curves of the surrounding boggy woodland to finally see the shape of the stranger's face, their tall ears, the shine catching on their nose.

At first she thought it was a child—her heart swelled, ached, thinking of Cam—but no, that couldn't be right. This stranger was composed of a powerfully dark coat, and they moved swiftly, almost with a daintiness, but there was something self-assured about them too. If they were an adult they were a very small one; hungry too, Ibis could imagine. She did not waste any time in closing what limited distance there was between them.

Hello. She called to them, friendly but cautious.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
A second wind of relief washed over Bhediya's body as she processed the stranger's reply. They both seemed to carry the same instinctual apprehensiveness; out of respect, she aimed to maintain a comfortable distance, only wide enough for either to retreat. It would have taken only a slight crane of the neck to make eye contact, another aspect to be appreciated.

Bhediya drew in a pensive sigh. I wasn't expecting to run into anyone, she breathed, adding a huffed laugh as accent. In truth, she'd been expecting to run into several wolves, just not this one. It was disheartening to have found the area so deserted, but she figured that it was foolish to have longed for more. It is nice, though, to see a friendly face.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
When she was closer she could make out some curious curled bits to the ends of the stranger's fur, which was intriguing, and seemed to suit the petite figure. Ibis kept to a safe distance, and noticed that the other wolf appeared to be doing the same - cautious, but not afraid. Then they were speaking and the voice reminded her so strongly of Lily that she nearly gasped, feeling her heart fluttering in her chest; yes, she was nodding, it was nice to see a friendly face -- oh, but not the right face. Never again that face.

There aren't many people roaming the valley these days. Most are aligned with a pack. With the state of things, I think I envy them a bit. Ibis shares with a small, strained giggle. Her smile appears thin and tired more than gleeful. But yes, it is nice. Where do you come from? Somewhere healthier probably; you're visiting at a bad time, what with the quakes and the fleeing of prey.

Oh, but this was no time to let her worries overwhelm her! And this was no way to make a new friend, going on and on about the hardship of life on one's own. Ibis tries to think on the bright side as she adds, I'm Ibis. I live here in the marsh.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Most wolves had the common sense to band together for the harsh conditions of winter. Based on recent events, it could be assumed that the one coming would be one of the hardest. However, it was too early to be sure, and Bhediya didn't want to make such a serious commitment before having a concrete idea of what to expect.

The conversation continued without an inital response. I lived here, the ascetic affirmed, but I left. This is my return. The condition of the Wilds was not as Bhediya remembered, but that was to be expected after such a long absence. I went south for a while. While not entirely true, the entire story would have taken too long to explain.

I didn't mean to intrude on your space, Bhediya sighed, ears falling back to flank either side of her head. It was unlikely that Ibis felt her space had been invaded, seeing how friendly their conversation was, but the loose apology needed to be issued anyway. I'm Bhediya.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Oh! The woman had come from the Wilds? That brought a new glint of curiosity to Ibis' gaze; she was immediately full of questions. What had the Wilds been like where she had been born? What were her people like? Where -- ah, but she shouldn't let her mind get so ahead of the rest of her. Soon enough the woman was introducing herself. Bhediya - what a unique name! It was beautiful, Ibis decided.

Oh no, you didn't! I welcome anyone to visit, really. Its just me and my brother, but then she recalled Okeanos and looked around swiftly, realizing he wasn't anywhere near. In fact, she hadn't seen him in a while. Her growing good mood was thus tempered by a fresh wave of worry. I mean, usually. He's around here somewhere. You can stay if you want to rest, I don't mind.

In fact, she'd love the company.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
We can continue, fade, wrap up... Just let me know what you wanna do. :)

The thought of Irushi and Mirza wandering the Wilds together summoned a smile unto the estranged mother's maw. Thoughts of their well-being swarmed for a moment before being quickly ushered away.

Your brother? Bhediya asked, head cocking curiously to the side, That sounds nice, just two siblings. It sounded simpler than the complexities of formal pack life, but safer and more convenient than living as a loner. She wondered what it might be like to feel that familiarity again. 

Nodding her head, Bhediya silently agreed to stay around. She relaxed into a slouched seated position and watched to see what Ibis might do next.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Her thin tail whipped lightly at the air, finding the woman's company very nice after so many days of wandering alone. If only her brother were here! He would be just as enamored by the curious little woman, Ibis was sure of it. Her light commentary was taken with a genuine smile too; it made Ibis very happy to have her beloved brother with her, someone who loved her and held an innate trust in her.

Yes, his name is Okeanos. She murmured politely as the woman settled in, and even crept a few paces closer to get a better look at the slick sheen of her curly coat. He's gotta be at least four times my size, and he's very warm! Like a little brown bear. He takes after dad, and I -- why was she going in to detail like this? Why bother this woman with contrived word-vomit? Was she really so desperate for the company of others..?

I take after our momma, so I'm small. Oh, how Seabreeze might cringe to see her little fey child now! To go from the safety and security of Elysium to the wilderness, and to this particular mess of a territory (ripe with mud and nasty chills), Ibis' situation was night-and-day different from the carefree lifestyle of her childhood. That did make Ibis wonder - aloud, a habit she'd picked up recently - You come from the Wilds, so maybe you've met them? Terance of Lost Creek, and Seabreeze of -- Elysium? She had half a mind to stop herself from uttering the name of her beloved willow forest, but if flowed too easily from her mouth.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
I'm small, too, Bhediya laughed as swung her head over her shoulder. It was one thing that they had in common, even with the varying degrees of dwarfism they each exhibited. The thought of Ibis likely being half the age of the ascetic, yet notably larger in size brought forth another small giggle. 

Shaking her head, Bhediya went on to reply, No. It's been nearly three winters since I left. When I was here, I didn't travel much. Aside from her time at Easthollow and the few trips she'd taken from Morningside, she'd lived as a homebody. Why aren't you with them now? Bhediya continued, wondering what might happen to leave such an inexperienced individual on their own.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
The woman's laughter was refreshing. When was the last time Ibis had been carefree enough, happy enough, to let herself laugh? She was so tired these days. So weighted by her many losses... it didn't feel appropriate with her current situation. She could see the beauty in the marsh though; the crisp water, the moss-thick forest sprawling around her, the grass and reeds that were turning shades of gold and auburn as autumn tumbled in to winter. There were aspects of this space she could appreciate - but it was lonely.

When Bhediya mentioned she had been present three winters ago Ibis was shocked! Her eyes widened, having assumed by her size and friendliness that she was much, much younger. It dawned on her then that Bhediya could have been a mother at her age - and perhaps that was why she was so charming and easy to be around. Oh, it made Ibis ache for her mothers -- My parents broke up. The admittance blurted out of her, and her little ears pivoted nervously a bit. When we were born there was a famine so mom took us somewhere safe, and dad went somewhere else. I um... I stayed with mom, then when I was older I found my dad, but it.. wasn't home. My brother wanted to travel, so we left together.

Another episode of Ibis' Life: Abridged.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Wanderlust was a common symptom of adolescence. It was typically fueled by an equal dosage of instinct and the longing for independence. In some cases, it was the driving force behind the founding of great empires. Bhediya wondered if the same might hold true for Ibis. You're very lucky to have a brother like that. Siblings often entered into dreadful fights for dominance; Bhe lamented the thought. 

Moreover, it surprised the ascetic to find that the children managed to stay together even after the split of their parents. The bond that they had must've been strong. Sometimes, you have to leave the home that you know to find the home that you've been looking for. A small frown twisted at her brow as she wondered where her home might be.

I'm still travelling, too, she continued with a yawn as she stretched and shook her hind legs, but I supposed now is as good a time as any to settle down. After Easthollow, her plans were relatively clear. There was always a chance to found a pack of her own, likely in the Cuesta, but preperation would take more time than she had left.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis was happy to have met such a sweet woman, and here of all places! She knew eventually they would be parting ways, but for now the girl was basking in the attention. Warmed more-so by the presence of the stranger than anything, the vague memory of kinship that Bhediya exuded. Everything about her was so inviting; Ibis couldn't stop thinking about Elysium and how well this woman would have fit in there with her twin mothers - with Lily! If only Lily was still alive, she'd have loved this woman.

I am, she agreed wholeheartedly. The next sentiment was a powerful one, the words echoing in her mind even after they had faded to silence; Ibis reflected on that comment - to find the home you've been looking for - and knew it rang so true, deep down. She had never really felt at-home in Elysium or in Lost Creek with her father; as much as she worried over Okeanos, and as terrifying the quaking earth had been, as stressful as the growing famine was, she had to trust she would survive. Beyond that - thrive. This marsh could be so much more than just a pit-stop.

I'm still travelling too, admits Bhediya as she stretched out, lounging in the stiff grass. Ibis thought about how nice it would be if this sweet woman would stay with her here, but... It was presumptuous of her to think a marsh was good enough for someone so pure like Bhediya. Where are you going? Ibis queries, I mean, if you're still.. Travelling. Are you going home?
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
What was home, really? Easthollow's borders would likely be closed and Morningside had disbanded. The children might have gone off to forge their own paths but Bhediya doubted they would want her along. That was okay, though. South of the Teekon was her birthplace, but the memories that'd been forged there carried pains that were still too fresh. For now, all that she was sure of was, I'm going west.

What lay beyond the mountain range was still a mystery. Deep in the Hinterlands were the falls that she'd planned to claim eons ago, but there was no telling what had come of them now. Parts of the coast could be reached by following her planned path, but Bhe was never much of a seafarer. I might go north. I might not go anywhere at all. One could never know where they would end up until they were there.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis tried to remember what was west; she thought of Mal and almost cringed. To the north, well, she hadn't ventured too deeply in to the north in her travels. Maybe if she didn't reconnect with Okeanos she would choose to travel with this sweet woman? They could go anywhere. It would be a nice change. But.. She wasn't ready to give up yet.

I might not go anywhere at all. Bhediya included.

You can stay here! Ibis blurted immediately, unable to help herself. Afterwards her ears twisted apologetically atop her head and she averted her gaze for just a moment. If you want. There's plenty of space. If my brother ever shows his face he'd love to meet you too. The more she thought about the road the less she wanted to delve away from the safety of the marsh. At least here she felt comfortable, and in the end... Maybe it was worth it to stay here, to build rather than run.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
The anxious flicker of Ibis's ears brought a clear look of concern to Bhediya's face. She straightened herself and thought to take a step forward but halted halfway through the motion. It wasn't that the thought of staying here, in the marsh, was bad or unattractive. There were just loose ends that would need tied before she was able to commit. 

I tell you what, Bhe replied after a moment's silence, I have a few things that I need to do, but once that's finished, I can come back. Okay? They would both need support throughout the winter, even with the presence of Oke-...Okeanos? Yes, she thought, Okeanos. Besides, it seeing the jovial nature of the blossoming girl made it hard to imagine her dying in a month's time.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
You're so fast omg. :D

The nervousness that Ibis felt didn't wholly abate, but she did relax somewhat as the mother soothed with her words. Such behavior was very missed by the girl; she wished she could see her mothers again, and maybe... Maybe she would make that trip, finally. Go and seek out the ruins of Elysium and commune with the trees, calm her own spirit.

She said she'd be back. It was enough to satisfy Ibis. The promise - if that's really what it was - would keep her rooted to the marsh for a little while longer, and she was okay with that. A little bit of alone time wasn't so harmful, she decided. Maybe Okeanos had gone to visit Elysium too..? Okay, she agreed, smiling finally.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
i'm trying to get this one wrapped up so i can start her return thread!!

The immediate mixture of disappointment and unsureity was nearly tangible in the silence. There wasn't much more to be said in the realm of reassurance and Bhediya wasn't keen on speaking for speaking's sake. Instead, she matched Ibis's grin and hoped that that would be enough.

To conclude their interaction, Bhe wandered only close enough to get a good whiff of Ibi's scent. For next time, she explained, so I'll know when I've found you. Not wanting to draw things out any longer, she made her exit from the marsh.