Cedar Sweep That's a lot of damage
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
All Welcome 
Back dated to 10/6

The more he walked, the more his leg but mostly his hip, ached and screamed with pain. However he was determined to find @Effie, wanting to esnure her safety before making any other plans. He stayed around Cedar Sweep, combing the area and occasionally howling for not only Effie but anyone really. Who was forced outside the borders and who stayed in? He was not only worried for Effie but Towhee, Phox Ruenna and everyone else. When this hip pain became too much he laid himself by a tree, nestled by its exposed roots. Rye wasn't sure what was wrong with his hip, he was still able to move it with relative ease. He was thankful to rule out dislocation or it being broken. Although he wasn't a medical man, so he doubted he'd ever figure it out. 

The male stretched out, tired and exhausted from the days events. All the running, walking and pain took its toll on the males mind and body. Rye closed his eyes for a few seconds, thinking he could at the least rest his eyes but soon the seconds dragged on. Until eventually, he drifted off to sleep, his face leaning against the rough tree bark. Slightly pulling his lips and cheek upwards as he slowly relaxed into his slumber.
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Effie was blissfully unaware of the trouble at home as she had been exploring far from the territory for plants. Winter was almost here, and she wanted to help Ruenna be properly stocked through the cold season. Unfortunately, the cold temperatures meant she didn't find much on this trip, and she had started to make her way back home, deciding to try again somewhere else in a few days. 

As she entered the forest northwest of home, a familiar call reached her, making her pause when she noted the worry in it. It was Rye and something was wrong. She sprinted towards the sound, hardly caring where she was going in her panicked state. It took her far longer than she would have liked to find him, and she froze when she saw his still form leaning against the tree. Her heart began to race, and she rushed forward, afraid of the worst. When she reached his side, she was too upset to check for life signs and instead, frantically called out: Rye? gently nudging his shoulder with one of her paws.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
is made up of light and shadow
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
pffft, late. Perdonme

Dreams were quick to form, displaying a myriad of different colors forming into familiar shapes. One such shape was a white figure, it called out his name. The tone familiar and the way the shape moved he recognized. It was all peaceful, until that all too real paw nudged his shoulder. Rye jolted awake expecting a fight, too much adrenaline still running through his veins. His teeth bared and he snapped towards the figure, narrowly missing Effie. Rye quickly blinked the blur away, gaining clear site to what he snapped at. 

His chest ran cold. 

Effie. Any fright within him dissipated immediately, his facial expression changed. It was purely concern, and heart ache for what he did. He felt stupid and questioned why he would do such a thing, it wasn't normal for him. "Effie," He spoke softly, "I'm so sorry. Are you okay? Did I hurt you?" He checked her over, from where he sat when a painful reminder busted its way back onto the scene. It flared up with pain once more, likely due to the sudden movement, but he kept it hidden. For the time being.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
His reaction frightened her, and she jumped back and lowered herself to the ground, ears falling in submission. She remained frozen there for a few moments, the memory of his teeth brandished in her direction making hurt bloom in her chest. But his soft, concerned words broke through her fear and confusion, and it became clear that he hadn't meant to snap at her. Slowly, she sat up, gaze lingering on her paws before she finally lifted it to meet his. I'm okay, she quietly assured him. I'm sorry; I didn't mean to startle you. Her ears fell once more, and she swallowed. I was worried, and when I found you—I thought you were dead or seriously injured. She had panicked and not thought through the situation completely. I was worried and didn't think.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
So uh, in my mind his injury is a slightly cracked hip. I had a cracked elbow that healed with no medical attention and occasionally hurts, so thats my plan with this guy. Plus I don't know theres anything any wolf could do in game. So yeah! Just letting you know.

The look, her actions, the way she froze. It was burned into Ryes' retinas, and remorse was seared into his heart. He never wanted to make, Effie, of all wolves, to feel that sort of fear. The guilt hit harder after she gave her reasoning for waking the male abruptly. He took her concern to heart, wanting to hug her in the moment. Both in apology and thanks, Rye even went as far as standing but his hip got in the way with pain. The male sucked in air through clamped teeth, and with the pain came dizziness. He was quick to sit back down, letting the rolling fuzz pass by before speaking up.

"Sorry, I'll explain in a minute," he said, referring to his actions a moment ago. "But please, do not feel guilty for concern. I'm more thankful than anything for you concern." He smiled through the pain but unfortunately letting a whine slip through. His body was tensed as he sat awkwardly on his right hip (his left being the injured one). "To explain, in short, I am injured. My hip was hit by a rock, a land slide or something come upon the Groves entrance. I'm not sure if our home is blocked but that shake really did a number on everything. We should go and check." His mind ventured to Towhee, he was scared for her, she couldn't hear and if she was anywhere near that slide - Rye stopped himself, that thinking would get him nowhere. For now, his concern was Effie and his leg.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her hurt was immediately forgotten the second Effie saw the pained look on his face. She watched him gingerly settle back down to the ground, about to ask him what was wrong, but then he proceeded to tell her about his wounded hip. Normally, she would have offered him a shy smile in response to his gratitude, but a frown formed on her face instead, deepening as he described what had happened to their home. She walked back over to him, hesitating briefly before gently nosing through the fur on his injured hip if allowed. She wanted to make sure there wasn't anything obvious. She wasn't exactly a medic, but she knew some of the basics; it sort of went with studying plants. There was a willow tree not too far from here; I passed it on my way, she explained. Before heading back home to check on things, will you let me try and ease your pain some? She was worried about what kind of damage awaited them at the grove, but she was more worried about Rye; he seemed awfully painful, and she didn't want him attempting to walk home without first taking something that would help him feel better. 

Just stay right here; I'll be right back Unless he stopped her, she turned and sprinted away. Willow trees smelled a certain way to her just like most other plants and when she caught tree's scent in the air, she altered her direction and followed it through the forest. Luckily, winter wouldn't have affected the tree bark too much yet. She pulled of a few strips and holding them securely between her teeth, she turned and hastily made her way back to Rye. 

The tree was close, so she hadn't been gone very long. Effie stopped when she was in front of him again, dropping the tree bark at his feet. Here, eat this, and it should help, she softly instructed. Once you're feeling better, we can head home and check things out. Her expression remained concerned as she watched him and waited to see if he would accept her help.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Tag for reference!

At first, Rye was hesitant to let Effie check his hip, he wasn't fond of pain but he trusted her. The first initial contact with his hip was painful, his jaw tightened and his teeth gritted. However, he kept quiet as she nosed through the fur, fortunately there would be no cuts or scrapes. Rye hoped with that, recovery would be easy, although he still wasn't sure what his injuries were. Many options were out there, but many had also been ruled out. For now he would go with Effies suggestion, he nodded his head and then watched as she went off into the distance. While he waited Rye shifted his body to lean against the tree behind him, some pain relief was given but not much. He was also anxious, about the Grove, about his pack and about Effie. Even @Wraen gave Rye some worry and he prayed that she and her pack was okay. 

Catching sight of Effie again, Rye perked up, happy to see her back safe and sound. His ears cupped forward, and a smile was there to greet her but then it faded away when the bark was placed in front. Like a kid, the male sniffed it, and licked it; testing to see what toxic tastes were in store for him. Eventually, he outright ate it in swift motions of chewing and swallowing. Earthy, was what Rye would describe the taste and it was by far the best medicine taste so far. 

"Thank you, I'm not sure what's up with my hip but hopefully its not long lasting. Where were you, by the way? When the shake hit." He asked.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She watched him eat the bark, glad that she was able to find something to help him. There wasn't much left with winter so close and everything else that had been happening. She was glad that for now, he didn't seem to have any injuries that could get infected because she wasn't sure she would be able to find anything to help with that. She nodded, offering him a shy smile when he thanked her. Well, there is more bark where that came from; I'll collect more for you, she offered. I was in the forest looking for plants, she answered next. Her expression turned anxious, and she added: There wasn't much. I know winter is close, but it seems like more than that. It worried her. She had hoped to talk to Ruenna about what she already had stored but hadn't had a chance yet, and she was afraid that they wouldn't have enough to last them until spring. All of this quaking and rumbling scares me, she admitted quietly, looking down at her feet. I've never experienced anything like this before. She hated bringing up her worries right now, but the dread in her chest had been building, and the words just came out. And it seemed like something bad had happened back home, which only worsened her anxiety.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye listened as Effie voiced her concerns with the lack of herbs, it worried him too but he was confident everyone would be okay. Most in his pack was strong, illness would likely be the least of their issues. Food was always Ryes main concern during winter, no food, no energy, no energy, severe lack of ability to fight anything or anyone off. Effie then voiced her concerns about the quakes, he watched as she further succumbed to her worries. Rye felt for her, and in that moment, through the slowlying ebbing pain, he moved to comfort her. He pulled his body close to hers, and if allowed he would hug her, lowering his shoulder to then scoop up her head. He kept it breif, not wanting to over do anything. "I understand your worries, but it's going to be okay. Whatevers happening right now, won't last long. Everything will be okay in the end, and if it's not okay, then it's not the end yet." Rye spoke softly, and put his heart into his words. He wanted nothing more than to take her worries away, but only she had the ability to do that. "How about we go check on the border? My legs starting to feel better." He gave her a friendly smile and stood, his uninjured hip holding most of his weight.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The hug was unexpected but greatly appreciated. She melted against him, allowing her head to be guided over his shoulder. She released soft sigh as some of her tension subsided. He didn't linger very long, though, and the places where they had touched felt even colder than before in the absence of his warmth. She wanted to ask for another hug, but that was not something she would ever do; she would gladly accept one if offered, but the thought of asking for one was far too bold a request for her. Besides, he was speaking then, soothing her worries further with his assurance that they would be okay. Doubt still lingered in the back of her mind and would probably continue to beat against whatever sense of security she was able to gather from the comfort he offered, but that was nothing new for her. She nodded at Rye and offered him another shy smile, unable to find any words to offer in return. 

When he suggested that they return home and stated that his leg felt better, a concerned frown twisted her features, deepening when she noticed how he bore no weight on his injured leg. It went against her nature to question him, though, so she just slowly nodded, gaze flicking from his lame appendage to his face. Okay, if you're sure you feel up to it, she said softly. But let me know if your pain returns, Effie added as she came to his injured side, ready to offer help if he needed it. She would have to go collect more willow bark for him if he grew too painful to continue their trek, but that was probably for the best so that he could rest during that time. She was worried this all might be too much strain for his injured leg, but it was ultimately his call to make, and she would trust his judgement.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye nodded his head and gave Effie a small smile before heading towards pack land. He kept his injured hip slightly more elevated, easing his foot down with each step. His hip screamed in protest to the movements but Rye was determined to comfirm or relieve his fears. If Rye could sweat he'd be drenched but instead he was roasting under his coat. He wasn't sure why, pain was hus best guess but it was simply the heat radiating from his hip. The cool breeze gave him temporary relief but it wasn't long before they reached their destination.

The males eyes widened at the sight of all the destruction. Large trees knocked over, rocks the size of bears scattered and worst of all his home locked away behind a heaping mound of dirt, rocks and other debris. Fear bristled his coat and wove itself into his mind. So many new problems arose with the discovery, food the primary problem. Both for the ones inside the border and those outside, particularly Rye and Effie. With his injury he wouldnt be able to hunt and Effie seemed to be inexperienced, however still able. A silver lining to a fierce storm.

Rye looked to Effie, concern written on his expression, "Food will be the major problem," He stated bluntly, looking back to the blockage "We should look for shelter before it gets dark." He didn't know what else to say, what does one say after realizing home is locked away?
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She silently fretted the entire walk home and was relieved to finally arrive there, only to have that relief completely smashed by panic when she looked upon the destruction of their home. They were completely blocked from entering the territory, and she had no idea who else was out here. Right now it was just the two of them, but that didn't mean there weren't others. She was frozen in shock, unsure what to do next or even how they would be able to survive the winter being stuck out here. The wall was solid rock and she had no idea how anyone was going to get through it. And what about their packmates on the inside? how were they going to eat? Millions of thoughts swirled in her mind until Rye's voice brought her back to the present. She met his worried gaze with one of her own, guilt burning in her chest when she realized just how difficult feeding themselves was going to be with her so useless at hunting. She was the main reason food would be a major problem because she couldn't pick up the slack while he was healing. 

She couldn't let herself spiral into an endless cycle of self hatred, not now. When he spoke again, she touched her nose gently to his shoulder, offering him comfort because that was all she could do right now. Effie nodded, her cheek brushing against his fur. Okay, she answered and then she waited for him to move, careful to stay close again so that he could lean on her if he needed to. Once they found somewhere to sleep, she would go and get more willow bark for his pain.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Sorry for being so inactive lately, in truth video games have got me hooked lol but go ahead and archive after my post or yours! 

Oh come on thumbs, please ignore that quote. I would delete it but unfortunately my computer is crapped out! I'll have it deleted by devs.

Rye took Effies contact as permission to give some of his own affection by leaning into her comfort. He smiled and suddenly the world felt warmer, he felt okay, like his home wasn't blocked off from them. After a brief hug, if allowed, Rye set off with Effie to look for a place for the night. Eventually coming across an abandoned, hopefully, fox den. No strong scents could be detected aside from  the scents of curious critters stopping by. It would have to do. If needed they could dig and make it bigger, although Rye wouldn't sleep the first night. Instead he felt the need to stay up, keep watch and protect Effie. She had tooken care of him, and with the extra bark he could make it through the night with relative ease. So it was time to repay her with saftey and a good nights rest. As the day progressed a phrase kept looping in his mind.

'It will be okay in the end, and if its not okay, then its not the end.'
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."