the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Translates to fall down seven times, stand up eight; open! Near the borders

The childrens father had gone and not returned, she observed. Though she had suspected they had gone with him to find her she had been wrong—and since then, there was no scent of him near. Hydra had a mind to request her mate search the nearby territories for him, but she figured she could do some of the legwork herself. A cry for @Vercingetorix and @Vela both cut through the air. She suspected that if they were within earshot as well as breathing, and if they were imprisoned by nature, they might respond. Hydra would help, if she could—her tail lashed behind her as she quieted, ears pricked as she scowled at the horizon. 

She had trusted, once again. This time though, she did not feel the victim of it. A deepseated anger took root in her belly, but she shook her furs and was rid of it—he had said he was a hunter; perhaps he had gone to scout nearby territories for any sign of food. But would he not call back, if it were so? Hydra listened and heard only the sound of the wind whipping 'round her ears; the birds themselves were quieter than ever, after natures fits, and the silence was deeply unsettling when she so hoped to hear the sound of either voice.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
the howl that raveled its way above the slim peaks belonged to hydra; arcturus paused and canted a thin ear to the wind. 

it was quiet — too quiet. 

he turned back, slipping through the cracks of tall boulders, down a stone slope, out into a pebble-strewn trail. coming upon hydra with a reserved expression, arcturus dipped his head and flattened his ears in respect to his formidable sister. i have not seen him either, the mountaineer stated by way of conversation, keeping his own opinions unspoken for now.
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There was sound, suddenly; one ear cupped backward to listen—if it was prey, she did not want to shock them with movement and cause them to flee before she could assess what was best to do next. But it was not prey; the stride of Arcturus was a familiar one in its sound, and when he was beside her Hydra still had not moved, eyes still searching the distance for any movement while her ears worked to pick up any calls, however faint. 

In a low murmur only for him to hear, she drawled coldly: If he does not return, he had better be dead, because that was what those that betrayed her trust deserved... and his children needed no more hurt than that they had already suffered. But then, they would not want that—not if he would have returned. As the earth rumbled faraway in the distance, causing the trees to stir from afar, Hydra thought aloud: he could be. Perhaps we should search for him, and Vela, her gaze shifted to him, but then... she did not want to risk more lives! What if she lost him in this? She grit her teeth. I want our expeditions outside of the territory to be... limited. This the last of them, for a time, she huffed. For the mercenary had become a part of their fold, and though she would resent him and end him herself if he was found alive and well... if he were not, they would see for themselves why she wished him here. Nature was too formidable a thing at present, too unpredictable... at least there was sanctuary here, though the mountain trembled underfoot and their prey had gone missing. No devastation had touched the mountain itself. 

Hydra did not think another wolf might have touched the man, not in her Wilderness—for he was Moonspear, and given the shield of them. Those that knew their scent would know not to disturb the peace; the reputation she had built was not for naught, so she haughtily believed. It was not something she considered, then—no, it was likely the savage wilds themselves that would have taken the life from him. 

But then she also did not think him dead. It was, for her, better than the alternative of him living and going against his word of being better here; for him, too, she imagined.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus had his own impressions to keep. the thought that vercingetorix had buttered them up and then left them with his kids while he bolted, was not ignored — while arcturus felt guilty for viewing the hunter in such a light, such was his opinion of the world. the man had good as admitted it too, telling them how unstable he’d been in the past — who’s to say that moonspear was just his next mark?

he affirmed hydra’s mention of limiting their excursions with a nod. he could be careful — but it was likely that the impending disasters all around them claimed many more lives than they knew. he may have intended to leave us with the children all along. arcturus offered, glancing down the view of the valley in thought. it may be a blessing in disguise; we need blood in moonspear that is not our own, to keep our empire going.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to her brother and her scowl seemed to deepen; she had the same thought, truth be told, but the promise of a capable hunter had appealed to her. More than that, her maternal instinct had reared it's head; she was cognizant of that now. 

She agreed to his thoughts, at least. New blood was not a bad thing. We will teach them to be better, should they stay, she had decided, stronger. Already they knew the faults in their parents (as they so saw them); but she assumed, and would not let her thoughts come to a conclusion until she knew the truth of it all.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
in arcturus's (naturally unbiased, of course) eyes, any wolf was immediately better the moment they were accepted into moonspear's clade. to be moonspear was to be nonpareil -- the highest summit -- and he saw only good things in store for those that joined their ranks. children, he believed, ought to not be upheld by the sins of their parents -- children, he reminded himself, were not their parents.

"i plan to use the mountain to train them -- to make the dark cub stronger. the girl, perhaps faster. they are young, but they will not be useless." arcturus had designs for both, should providence prove kind. "i would like to take all the cubs training, now that they are old enough." hydra's included. they were growing strong and fast, and it was time to test their mettle.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded, liking his ideas greatly. She had done much the same with him, and the siblings of his that wanted involvement. Each of her children seemed eager to learn, which pleased her—it had not always been so with her brothers and sisters. With hers, though, she would enforce they learn whether they wanted to or not. None of them would be taken advantage of; they would know what to do in the face of danger. 

Good, she responded, agreeing aloud with his ideas—each of them. Make sure that where you train is stable. Dirge and I have inspected the territory and it seems to be so; still, better to be careful these days, she instructed. The earth and its strange movement was not something she underestimated; though Moonspear fared well, she would never assume that each part of it did not respond to the quakes (it had, thus far, per her inspections... but Hydra was nothing if not thorough). 

Hydra thought on the boy, and the girl. Hydra, thoughtfully, considered aloud: They are survivors, those two. Whatever pain they are in we will teach them to channel. I do not know what they have learned from those that have departed them, unwillingly or otherwise. She was determined to find out. Her gaze turned toward her brother. The boy has gone through something himself. His father would not speak it then—I thought I would be able to find out when he returned, and her ego smarted from that assumption made; she had been wrong, which she hated. Well, she had also learned—in some instances, it was best not to wait. 

Wanting to vent her physical frustrations in her favored manner, Hydra thought to suggest a spar... first, though: do you think it unwise to ask him what he had gone through? I would like to know. It would serve us all, the boy included. They could not protect him against what they did not know; and to train him, they ought to know what he had gone through so as to understand fully the extent of the damage dealt. The body itself could reveal much of that, fortunately, but not all. Hydra did not think of mental wounds, not knowing of their existence—only the physical.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
the mountaineer gave a brief nod of his head in response — with hydra’s blessing, he would make little warriors of all of the little spearlings.

upon mention of the cub’s past, arcturus issued a small frown. he did not know either of them well — but he saw the way they adored each other. perhaps more could be learned, less intrusively, by asking the sister.. but if she didn’t know.. he needs time. arcturus recalled how the boy had appeared devastated the first he had met him — and while hydra did not wonder of the wounds that torment the soul, arcturus did. and if his father returns, we ought to demand he tell us — he might otherwise be putting us in some jeopardy. someone wanted his cub dead, it seems.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra was perceptive, but could also—on some occasions—be as obtuse as her father. She did not much understand the psyche and how it could play into things to a severe degree, not entirely. Not unless she could relate to it, really... and she had a difficult time relating to sadness. It was too exhausting a thing to feel; any hint of it was replaced with something she could do something about through her self-serving rational. The only thing added to the flames within Hydra was more fuel—not even the death of their parents had reduced the flame, though it had obscured the blinding light of it for a brief time. 

She heard her brother, though, and deferred to his judgment here. Arcturus had been through his own abandonments, new and old alike; a sister, a brother, and the loss of their mother and father. He felt things far more keenly than she, though few would know it; Arcturus was adept at concealing what was within, and had she not helped in rearing him as she had Hydra herself would not have known what it was he had felt in those days. 

I agree, she responded, having decided that long ago—simply not soon enough. Her gaze shifted to him, head tilting. I have only experienced one such manner of a wolf. You remember, Hydra drawled, expecting him to. Hydra had warned him often enough of Titmouse; that he was a boy that preyed on the weak, not looking so strong himself—but he must have used his patheticness to his advantage. Galaxy had been green enough to be killed easily by him; it was why, ever since then, she made sure those that she cared for were equipped to deal with the unexpected, whatever that might be. With a sigh, Hydra looked toward the horizon. He was meant to be dead; Towhee had informed her of this. 

Even still, she could not believe it. Lyra had suspected she had seen him, which Hydra had promptly relayed to the rest of the Spear—if he was not dead, she would see it done herself. With the rest of her brothers and sisters teeth if necessary—insurance could not hurt, here. However it was done if the rumor of his living was to be believed (which she did), she did not care so long as it was. 

It may not be him; it matters not if it is, or if it is not. They will die for it, if what seems to be is. Her children would not be in jeapordy from the likes of any, if she had it her way; Hydra strove for this to be so with tooth and claw combined.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
titmouse -- mou, these days, though arcturus did not know it -- was well before the mountaineer's time, but that did not mean he did not know of the man's reputation. it certainly did not mean if arcturus ever came across him, that he would not sink his fangs six inches deep into the brute's heart.

he hoped lyra was wrong --but he knew in that way many knew, that if lyra had suspected it, it may as well be true. leveling out a sigh, the moonspearian nodded grimly. they would die for it.

despite the severity of their conversation arcturus caught a restlessness to hydra. stealing a sly glance -- one he had perfected, having stolen many sly glances his formidable sister's way to measure the enigma that was her mood, arcturus rose. his tail arced gently -- tilting just so, so that she might know immediately of what was unspoken between them.

she wished to extend herself physically, for to her, arcturus imagined sparring was as therapeutic as talking it out. the exercise often helped clear the mind, and put all the illogical pieces back into place.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Their loyalty was such; it could not be swayed, when one was declared an enemy or outcast. There were few exceptions to their rule, but any who had been forgiven had found a way to deserve it. It was why Hydra did not consider the wolves of the Hollow an enemy; nor did she really consider them friend, though Terance she had accepted once more. His own sister Hydra had not forgotten about; she had been a coward to leave without a word, and Hydra still had not seen her since the day she had gone—she was unaware that Arcturus knew her. 

Her brother was also one of the few that could read her well enough. Her restless energy had reached him, and Hydra let out a low, level rrrrrrrr to provoke him into movement, establishing her own defenses in quick order. Muzzle draped over throat, ears against head, her eyes looked to him past their protected slant—her weight was squared and she had yet to move more than what it took to set her defenses while he himself prepared to move. She was ever ready.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
upon the rumble sounding from hydra's throat, arcturus moved.

he pranced ahead, two canter strides to close the distance. his speed was a show of force, and at the last moment he turned his shoulder and head, angling away from his sister's flank.

twisting the momentum of his bounds into malleable force, the mountaineer sought to collide along her shoulder to shoulder, head turned away from any exposure of fang.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He moved, and so did she. She anticipated his rush only due to his distance, though he betrayed himself in the coiling of limbs to begin his mad dash. Hydra had little time to mirror him, but she did in the opposing direction so that her nightshade brother would not hit true. The Queen maneuvered herself so that she might miss the blow entirely, but in realizing it was not possible she took as much control as she could in her limited timeframe—

She moved to throw her own shoulder against his chest as his hit her the same (albeit, the force was countered enough where she did not suffer a misstep); he was wise to keep his face away, and her own made a bid for the shoulder nearest to her to use her continued momentum to attempt to push him roughly away to start.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
his head tucked, arcturus did not have the luxury of seeing much of hydra's counter. a mistake on his behalf, for she quickly foiled most of his strength, by angling her own chest into his shoulders. sapped of his driving momentum by the counter arcturus was glanced off to the side -- and he was just about to rove away when

click

came the cold sinking feeling of teeth to his scruff. teeth that were not unkind, but far from gentle -- teeth that reminded him of his misstep.

he pulled taut like a draft horse set against a working line of cable. a groan parted from him as he lunged for the flat side of hydra's rear leg, attempting to at least force her to release if he gripped true.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra felt him resist against her, and though she held for a while longer to remind him what this might cost him (if she were a heavier wolf, it would mean trouble for him—but even still she had access to areas she could further savage), she released him soon enough; as the Queen sharply and swiftly withdrew, she felt his teeth graze over her leg but click against air; she swung her hips away from him and snarled playfully, facing him head on and several feet back from him now. It was instinct to reset her defenses, and Hydra again awaited his next move with the lash of her tail, mindful of his every move.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
he pressed against the weight of his sister, using her as a crutch as he leaned for leg — to nearly come face to face with kissing dirt as hydra nimbly sprung away.

rebalancing roughly, arcturus found his feet (three) and regrouped. his teeth had clicked nothing, and now the skulking form of his sister stood before him as if taunting.

he lumbered forward gracelessly, eyes trained to one of her front legs — and at the last moment instead pointed his shoulders toward her chest. a feint, where his eyes were misleading — hopefully enough that he might bowl his sister over.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It was not as though Hydra was not used to such a tactic used; though she expected it, as she moved to react Hydra's paw came upon an aberrant object in her way—placed there, perhaps, when the world had shook—and before she could adjust, she was off of her feet and upon the ground. It was a clever move from Arcturus, who had not yet employed such a thing before that she could remember... perhaps an additional factor in her delay and recognition of it. Hydra was swift in finding them (her feet) as she rose and made a lazy bid for one of his own so that he might wheel backwards in remembering her grip from moments ago. Though the intent was true, the drive was not what it typically was as her priority was to find her balance—the vicious nip was more to herd than it was to bite as she defended, for now.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus was more than surprised by the success of his endeavor, but he owed it in no small part to a piece of stone that had foiled hydra's attempt to maneuver away. a stupid grin spread across his features as hydra resumed her balance, though it was swiftly stolen away as he saw a glint of fang headed quickly his way.

he tried to evade by way of clumsy half-rear, turning his shoulders away as he pivoted on his hind legs -- yet was not quick enough, and the limited use of his one leg made his movements much too slow. hydra's teeth met their mark, and arcturus then was forced to think quickly. he swung his head towards her now, attempting to seize or nip or break her contact by bringing his own muzzle to the back of her outstretched neck.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His getaway was far from clean, but it was enough to give her temporary reprieve as she regained her balance upon her three utilized limbs. When she could feel the way he reacted, Hydra changed her tactic from defense to offense, her hind-legs coiling as she utilized the whole of her weight to thrust upward and beyond him to hopefully cause him to lose his own balance, now, and ideally in the process cause his grip upon whatever he found purchase on while she moved to be only temporary with the force of her upward thrust. She was careful even in doing this, not wanting to cause him true harm but hoping to jar him all the same.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus would learn, as all of those who practiced diligently did, that sometimes the execution of a glorious thought could fail you. he became his own goliath as he swung for hydra; she, his david. her weight thrust down upon him, a smooth counter to his uppercut that completely overturned his applecart.

all of the sudden, arcturus was sprawling chin first into snow.

"i yield!" he grunted, grinning as he rose. he had been had, and nimbly so. hydra had won this round (again), as she would likely win all future spars -- but at least now, arcturus was learning.

and that was all that mattered.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra had succeeded, and as she sought to spin around to begin her next assault, he yielded; Hydra had heard him, and so instead of this Hydra darted toward Arcturus as he rose, moving to paw companionably at him. Things such as this caused Hydra to feel all the more bonded to her younger brother, as sparring was meant to. 

With an encouraging nip toward the apex of his shoulder, Hydra invited him to continue training with her with a run; she was far from tired, and if he was not either perhaps he would join her. She left it to him, surging forward in the next moment with a savage, graceful fluidity reminiscent of their own departed mother.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
yielding beneath his sister, arcturus cringed as he thought she was continuing her assault. instead, she pawed at him -- and was earned a wide faced grin armed with teeth. he nipped companionably back, rising from the snow with a shake of his white-dusted pelt.

understanding her next motive was to run, arcturus fell smoothly behind her. it was only natural, he thought, for the pack to run together -- and nothing seemed so bonding an experience than communal exercise.

digging deep into his reserves, arcturus rose in a full-flighted run. spirited by their closeness and their spar, the boy in this moment was in his element -- and it showed in the way they played and romped for the remainder of the day.
send my soul away