Emberwood I'd dance in a storm in my best dress.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Tag for reference! Open to anyone that wants to help with exploring/claiming the wood! :) @Bhediya maybe?

Ibis had led the newest arrivals to the marsh out of habit, but it wasn't a very well populated place when they arrived. A few of her friends greeted them with little nods; some took to glancing at the burly man and the child she led along, but each wolf was busy with some job or another; what few scattered caches they'd managed to build within the marsh were being excavated, re-purposed. Much of what Ibis loved about the marsh had centred around its water: even though it smelled a little funky, when the ponds were still she loved to look at them and see the sky mirrored back, or study the way the mud froze in to different shapes with the descending temperature, and her absolute favorite thing about the marsh was how vibrant everything looked; water could bring out so much more colour!

Those that lived in the marsh learned quickly of how volatile the soil truly was, though. Caches spoiled faster if they did not freeze, and when the mud became cold enough to frost, there was no way to dig in to it. These issues were one of the main reasons Ibis had proposed the move. The rest of her friends had taken to her message well, and thus they were working hard now to gather what they could—to take it deep in to the Emberwood.

It was pure habit that brought Ibis to the marsh that day with Kavik, and upon realizing her mistake, she explained the situation; the meeting among the rest of her friends, the choice that had been made. The Emberwood would serve them well once they had mapped it, she thought. And so she had taken them to the fringe—to that same spot where she had hosted discourse on what to do next, to the clearing on the fringe of the forest lined with piles of leaves, and let @Kavik make his choice. When he'd slipped off to hunt she felt confident that all was well. Without much else to do thereafter, Ibis extricated herself and sought her own job. Her paws were sore and her legs stiff from so much back-and-forth travel; but she was happy to feel useful, and even happier to have brought these people together.

As she roamed through the western limits of the forest she found that there wasn't as much variety here, not like in the marsh. The moss was just as prolific but it did not wrap itself around every branch, or hang like webbing. The sharp smell of mud was no longer in the air, but the trees had their own smell which Ibis discovered she quite liked; there were differences between the woods and the marsh of course, and much for her to get used to. In the back of her mind she could not help thinking, 'I will miss the ponds,' and thought of the swath of lilies growing at her favourite one, and let out a little sigh.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
The colors of autumn were littered atop the forest floor. Old leaves crunched as Bhediya made her way through the trees. Ibis had left a strong scent trail behind, easy to track. Ibi! she called out. It only took a moment's work to find the girl's wandering shape.

Bhediya sped up to meet her friend's side and brushed up against her shoulder. She saw the solemn look on Ibis's face and matched it with her own look of concern. What's wrong? Bhe asked. The forest had seemed like a haven to her, but she hadn't stopped to think about how Ibis felt.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Just as she was getting used to the solo walk through the woods, a voice penetrated the stillness. Ibis turned to look at the origin point, and she saw Bhediya sweeping close. The woman's affection was returned with a little less fervour, but the nymph smiled lightly all the same, happy to see the woman and to have company again. The smile didn't quite enter her eyes; her thoughts were still flooding her mind, weighing her down.

What's wrong? She asked in a motherly tone, causing the butterflies in Ibis' belly to flutter a bit.

As she did not want to cause her friend any worry, Ibis shook her head lightly as she replied: Nothing, I'm.. I think I'm just tired. Tired, a little bit sad, a little bit homesick for one of the many places she could not ever go back to—but one day this place would feel like home too. I've been running all over the place lately, or that's what it feels like. It'll be nice to have a break from it all now that we're settling here.

Taking control of the woods would be swift considering their numbers, but then there was the question of 'What next?' which Ibis was only just starting to tinker with.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Bhediya shot Ibis a knowing look. Tired, hm? That would be the extent of her prodding. She trusted that the girl knew her ears were open. Not wanting to interrupt Ibis's walk, Bhe began a leisurely stroll of her own and hoped that her companion would follow. 

The days of travel had taken a toll on both of them, it seemed. The ascetic understood wanting a moment of peace, especially for an upcoming leader. Ibis had become the de facto Alpha of the group and by the way that she was handling things, Bhe assumed that this was her first time.

Things will quiet down soon, she sighed, You did a good job of getting this group together, [hover=sweetheart]priy[/hover. Their numbers had grown faster and larger than she had hoped. There was no longer any doubt about their survival rate through winter.

Bhediya made a point to kick aside a pebble in their path. She laughed and looked up at Ibis, hoping to bring a smile to the girl's solemn face What have you been up to? Aside from all of this, y'know, business nonsense.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Things will quiet down soon, offered the woman.

Ibis was more than happy for that to happen, and hoped it really would be sooner than later; running all over the valley, gathering all these wayward souls to one place, and then hoping to lead them? It was a lot of work. She didn't even know if it was the right call. What if some of these people weren't who they seemed to be? What if someone who she thought was sweet and kind and all those good things her innocent self could conjure, was really someone nefarious? They had hunters and scouts galore, but very few warriors. In fact, Ibis hadn't considered the need for such skills while she found people—she had been so intent on making sure everyone was safe that further logistics never entered her mind.

Now though, with everything so quick to change, she was overwhelmed with such considerations. She was so very glad that Bhediya was with them to coach her through it, too. The woman's commendation was met with a small airy laugh, and this transitioned to another tired sigh. It's almost like... I went from one extreme to another. My days would bleed together when I was alone in the marsh, and now they bleed together but I'm meeting so many people, hearing their stories, and trying to organize them... And I can only hope I am doing a good job. We have so many mouths to feed now, Bhediya. I'm... I'm sort-of worried for winter. It was her own fault though. Ibis couldn't help but welcome every person to the Emberwood; how could she say no when someone was in need?
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
There were some questions that didn't have answers. A moment of heavy silence passed. Bhediya searched her mind for what to say next. Ibis, she sighed, It's not your job to feed us. That's not all that leaders do. She stopped and tried to make eye contact. We'll all feed each other, 'cause that's what a pack does. Thoughts of Morningside raced through her mind. 

Bhediya sighed and shook her lowered head. We might not have made it on our own. You brought all of us together, and by yourself, too! You've done just a wonderful job. Toward the end, her voice grew softer. What was being said was meant for their ears only. Every new leader has a moment of doubt, you hear me? The key is to push past it.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
When she said her name, Ibis paused. She looked to Bhediya and saw the certainty in her eyes, the confidence, but also couldn't help but feel as though the woman was channelling Lily, her old friend. It was like talking to a mother and a sister all in one moment, which helped to alleviate some of the stress Ibis was putting herself through; but on the flip side, she felt her throat constrict with a flurry of emotion.

Bhediya knew just what to say. It was uplifting, and bolstered Ibis a little bit against the weight of all her worries. Ibis should know not to doubt fate; she had survived a lot to get to this point and by gathering people together, she ensured that others would survive too. Together they'd be stronger, they'd become some kind of family no matter what faced them.

The doubt did not fully evaporate (it never truly would), but Ibis felt a little better. I will. I'll do my best. Thank you, Bhediya.

She was still worried for the winter, but the woman was right. They would work together to make sure everyone was fed. No matter how long the famine lasted nor how bad it got, things would work out. It was a touch too optimistic for the reality of the situation but that's just how Ibis was, and having the reminder come from someone she had grown to trust was even more important. With a small sigh Ibis let the rest of her worries dissolve with the breath, and as she inhaled again, she smiled to her friend.

I never thought I'd be the leader of a group like this. Never, ever, in a hundred years. I've.. Never thought of myself as a leader before. Do you think... Ah, here it came again, the doubt. She tried to hold strong to the woman's previous words but still, her own were powerful unto themselves: Do you think I should lead? I helped to gather everyone, sure. But I'm just a girl, and there are people older, wiser, and more skilled for it. One of our newer recruits is a man named Kavik, and he once led the pack of Swiftcurrent. Or there's Kukulkan, he's strong and charismatic, people would follow him if given half the chance. You could do it, too—you'd be a lovely leader. There were so many options that Ibis thought were more suitable than herself and yet, they all looked to Ibis.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Bhediya matched Ibis's smile with one of her own. There was no need to thank her for the truth. Telling the truth is what folks were supposed to do, she thought. Instead of replying, she used her forehead to bump whatever part of the girl she could reach. Let's keep walking, she said, and continued at a stroll.

Only a moment had passed before the next set of concerns arose.You're not a little girl anymore, Bhediya said, A little girl couldn't do all of this. Ibis might have been young, but the maturity that she exhibited was admirable. It was difficult to found a pack, especially in a time like this. Somehow, Ibis had managed to do it in under two weeks.

Bhediya sighed. A comparison was the most potent poison against one's sense of self. She asked, Which expectation are you clinging to that is keeping you from being the leader you want to be? It was a heavy question; Bhe wanted Ibis to take a moment and really consider her answer.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
When prompted she began to walk again, sauntering alongside Bhediya. Her words rang out until the other woman began to reply, at which point Ibis focused on keeping quiet so she could listen as well as keep pace. It was definitely easier to move around in this forest versus the muck of the marsh, she thought.

Not an expectation really, Ibis tried to explain. I don't know what kind of leader I should be, or want to be. I've never wanted to be one in the first place—but I am. That's the hardest thing to grasp right now. It gave her something more to think about.

Moments later she blurted, I miss how peaceful things were in Elysium, where I was born. I can never get that back but it is a starting place. I want to be like my mothers, welcoming as many people as I can. But times were tough, and they were only going to get tougher. What if I can't make the tough decisions? It shouldn't all be up to me, she considered aloud.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Bhediya nodded along. Packs typically had a set of leaders with their own hierarchy. It all depended on the ranking system. Have you thought about ranks? she asked. Ibis was inexperienced so a "no" wouldn't have been surprising.

The pressure that the girl felt made sense under the pretense that she continue to lead alone. In that situation, anyone would be stressed. You can assign someone to lead with you. As had been previously stated, several of their packmates were prime candidates for a high rank. Bhediya was the likely the least interested of those named.

Y'know, a Beta? You said Kavik has some experience so why don't you ask him?

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Bhediya brought up ranks, and Ibis actually nodded a bit. Actually I started to think about that. Awol mentioned it too, I guess I never considered the intricacies of a pack's make-up until now. There were all kinds of things they could do to make life easier for the wolves of the wood, and for Ibis specifically. She didn't know how to differentiate who was equipped to lead alongside her, but at least she had Bhediya to help guide her through some of it.

You said Kavik has some experience— Bhediya continued on, and Ibis nodded again, thoughtful. She didn't know the man very well yet, but he was formidable in appearance and had the experience she lacked. Having him lead alongside her was one option they could explore. I want it to be fair. People are looking to me as the leader, but I don't have the training for that, or the experience. I'll bring it up with Kavik and see if he is interested though... And maybe some others. Would you, Bhediya? You've been so helpful to me already and I think people would respect having a mother at the helm, somehow.

Maybe they could exalt a few of the more skilled wolves, and keep it as fluid as possible, Ibis thought. There are so many people here that I feel... We should have a few more leaders than that. Not just me, or me-plus-one. Maybe two or three? It would make things fairer too, I think. And that was when it struck her—a wave of energy, almost like confidence. A sense of peace. It felt right.

I'll be the leader, but if I could build a counsel of peers who could teach me, inform me, and help with decisions... I think that would be best.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Bhediya liked Ibis's train of thought. It seemed that the conversation had shifted from solemnities to formalities. She wasn't a fan of either, but the latter certainly outranked the former. Instead of dragging along at a slow stroll, Bhe picked up a gentle trot.

I, uh.., she stuttered. The offer wasn't one that she particularly wished to accept. However, it would be wrong of her to deny Ibis's efforts to follow advice that she'd given. Not wanting the girl to see her hesitance, Bhediya masked it with a smile and a nod. I'll do whatever you need. 

The two of them weren't much better than either alone. The ascetic agreed that they would need more voices. There should be a balance. The council should have an array of trades, right? Bhediya wondered what trade she might have to offer.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
When the woman agreed, Ibis felt her mind settling down a bit. It felt as if things were indeed falling in to place. If she trusted in the counsel of others then she would blossom, she was sure of it! Her potential to become a worthy leader to these people was only made possible by the being she surrounded herself with; and while Ibis was ignorant to the disinterest in Bhediya, she was pleased enough in thinking that two of the four spots were thus filled. Kavik as the protector, Bhediya with her wisdom.

As much variety as possible, I think. I don't know if we'll need someone as intimidating as Kavik to employ whatever skills he has, implying that with bulk came aggression, perhaps. But I will feel safer in knowing we have a warrior on our side, just in case. From what I've gathered of these people, most of them are avid hunters or more adept at scouting the land, but I'm sure in the days to come they'll find a lifestyle that pleases them. The leadership should be well-rounded. Ibis was letting her idealism control her thoughts now. The perfect pack: what did that entail? Someone strong (Kavik), someone wise (Bhediya), and someone dutiful—Oh. A gasp.

The one person that came to mind when Ibis thought of duty was, of course, Awol. He had been one of the first recruits, and a hard working one. Eager to make something of himself and to learn all that Ibis could teach. The boy was charismatic and devoted, which to Ibis meant the world; he was ideal, she thought. Someone eager to lend an ear to the many voices, and able to distill the thoughts throughout the pack in to a concise message that the leadership could use. Ibis paused as she realized this, and Bhediya trotted a bit beyond her—but she took notice and hastily caught up.

I think the last person should be attentive to the many views within the pack, and able to bring concerns to the forefront. And of all the people I've met so far, I think Awol is the perfect candidate for that. He's enthusiastic, takes his work seriously, and could make a great leader one day. What do you think? The boy was young, and maybe he wouldn't be interested right off the bat, but Ibis had sunk her teeth in to this idea and wasn't about to let go so readily.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
The common characteristic between every great leader was basic attention to detail. Bhediya gave an inward laugh as she listened to Ibis's careful examination of her subordinates. It was as though she'd created a mental store of everyone's defining characteristics. What was Bhe known for, she wondered?

Awol was a wise choice. They hadn't interacted much, but she could tell that he cared about his work. His priority always seemed to be aiding the pack. Bhediya thought that it was admirable. Good choice, she replied. Ibis had ticked off every box to ensure maximum diversity: an even ratio of males and females, a decent variation in age, and a mixture of skills.

Their council had been set, then. There were more details to be worked out, but she was sure that they could wait.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
As she caught up to Bhediya she made sure to nip playfully at her friend's haunch, and whether or not the mother reacted, she moved on to brush her snout through the curled fur of her shoulder, for that moment being childish as she displayed her affection to her friend. Ibis heard the praise from Bhediya but it was like a switch had been flipped; she romped a bit, and then crunched against the leaves as she braced herself against the earth, and smiled wolfishly to the woman.

I'll go and find each of them. I'm sure if I ask just the right way, they'll all accept. Thank you for your help Bhediya—you're already being so helpful to me, and I really appreciate it! Her tail whisked behind her, bits of leaf-litter caught in the thin tangle of her fur.