Kintla Flatlands your problem is, you spent your whole life thinking there were rules
134 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
A light rain rolls in misty sheets across the prairie, disguising the presence of a wolf that lurks between the fog. Belharra's form passes in and out of obscurity. Wind whipping off of the long plateaus to the east howl past. The coldness - and frankly, the miserableness of it all - reminded Belharra of home.

She had hoped coming here would allay the growing pains of her stomach. To her dismay it seemed otherwise. Scents of prey were scarce as hen's teeth. Scents of wolves were not. She did her best to avoid the patches were the scents of her species were most thick, but by and by she found it impossible - and very likely other wolves were hunting the hare also.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Though the meadowlarks had seemingly long gone from either the coming winter or fear of the quakes, the meadow itself was still pleasantly beautiful. At least for Vallkyrie. The woman had traveled very far and for a time had been met with muck, swamp and barren landscapes. Before moving much further into the Teekon Wilds, she had taken settlement in the Mesa for shelter, taking note of the pack to the southwest and to the north. Many wolves lived here, many Packs. Vallkyrie kept to herself as to not bother even though she knew a settlement for herself would likely be needed for her survival. Right now, food would be needed for her survival too. 

These flatlands were filled with meadow, plain and prairie alike and with plenty of water. Though the herds may have gone, the young huntress knew that smaller prey would be near if only one had sure patience to dig it up. 

It was a cold and rainy morning and Kyr shook out her black coat. The mist rolled through the long blades of grass which tickled along her sides as she moved. With the winter chill coming in, she was not certain if she would be successful or not.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra was no master scout but even she could see she was not alone in the valley. The flatlands, deriving their name from the fact they were flat territory, meant that just about anything on the horizon was visible. Fixing the stranger with her attention, Belharra swung in Kyr's direction.

But not too close.

Striding past the strips of melted snow and frozen tundra grass, Belharra slowed as she came close enough to hail Vallkyrie. She detected nothing by way of scent, so settled on doing things the old fashioned way. Talking. "You're not hunting that hare of mine, are ya?" Her tone might have been a titch frigid, but an old twinkle of her father's indefatiguable humor showed in her eyes.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
The grasses were long and wispy, hiding the majority of predator here so that they may sneak up on large herding prey. Or they would have been, had winter winds not battered them and broken them off. It was easier to see out before you though this left prey easier to see you all the same.

The blades cut away from Vallkyrie as she moved in closer. As the other woman looked for Vallkyrie, Vallkyrie did look too. Her perked ears and half her face stuck up over the flatlands to see the other female who's head did the same. She neared closer, though kept a harmless distance. 

A dark coated woman, yet not as so as Vallkyrie's self, though she was taller even then she. I just might be. A sheepish expression takes the young woman and then, Though with the rain, I'm afraid we both may be out of luck. Think it's taken to burrow? There was a good chance any rabbit that had been decided to return home whilst it rained for warmth. Vallkyrie hadn't a plan B.
134 Posts
Ooc —
"Hmm, well. That won't do." Belharra murmured, a softness to her voice that was feigned. This she-wolf was no slouch, so Belharra figured she needed to be careful. Crafty, even. The woman seemed harmless enough to Belharra's immediate instincts, which told her maybe she could just be pushed around a little.. maybe even enough to score a free meal.

"asidering that we're both hungry and neither of us the mind to let a good meal by, I say we share it. I'm proper soaked, and a little hare ought to ease some of that discomfort. You're not the kind of shaft me, are ya?" The twinkle in her gaze returned, but Belharra straightened too: she was testing the waters here, to see what kind of fiber Vallkyrie was spun from.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
The other female's words were soft, inviting. She explains how they could share the kill, should they work together. One rabbit was not much for two wolves, but enough to get by then to risk injury and infection fighting over it.

Cant say im the sly type - leave that to the fox. Though Kyr may have been cautious of the other woman's intentions, she herself was not the lying nor manipulative type. She was honest and, did all she could to stick to her word. Though her word may mean little to a stranger. It may be half the food earned, but half the energy and less likely for it to escape us all the same. After all, that's why they were pack animals.
134 Posts
Ooc —
So, the female understood Belharra's ambitions. "Aye. Pack beasts, and alladat." Belharra was unaware she had just finished the tail end of Vallkyrie's thoughts. If anything it confirmed sometimes two working heads were better than one. Unless you were a rabbit. Then two working heads of the wolven type were definitely a portend of doom.

Belharra nodded confidently with her tail asway: this would be easy, she expected. "'k, here's what to do - if'n you don't take poorly to me bossin' ya, mind." She motioned to the side of the trail where a bunch of fallen litter and dead ferns created a natural screen. A blind spot, if you will. "I'll hide in there and you, if you're confident, go and try to flush the bastard out. I think he's in the scree over yon'." Belharra flicked a wrist in the hare's direction. She had last seen his little white tush disappear into a slim margin of rocks. "Bet if you sent the rocks tumbling he'd bolt." Belharra offered casually, making to go to the fern cover and wait for her mealticket to come her way.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Exactly. A bit of a smirk toyed on her lips along with a small huff of a laugh as the woman had spoken up on Kyr's own thoughts. She would have been a part of a pack, too, had she not decided on her little adventure. She had not regret leaving her birth home, either for she was still far too eager to see the world before her now. 

Vallkyrie tipped her muzzle down, one foreleg sliding to the side, a motion for the other woman to take the floor. During hunts when with other packmates, Kyr had been used to others taking charge and giving her direction given her still youth. It was not too long ago since she had wriggled herself into the placement of yearling anyhow. 

Icy eyes side glance to the brambles at the edge of the fields, likely blown and tossed about here from the recent destruction in the lands as Mesa and pack claimed woods lay nearby. Vallkyrie all but fell into a silence as a seriousness took hold of her. Kyr was always a very determined woman and took her job handed out to her well. She nods silently and makes off opposite of the woman towards the rocky rise. Ears atop her skull in keen alertness, she thought she may have heard the scuffle of the hair hidden within. Moving at an arch around so that she could descend upon a higher part of the scree, she shifts her footing to push some rocks downhill. Nothing. The hare remained still wherever he was. Kyr moved down and it was likely too close to the prey, for it bolted and as did Kyr. 

So quick did the rodent run it flipped over itself down the rocks a time, allowing Vallkyrie's jaws to clip the hairs of its backside. She was close, though backed off enough to watch her own footing over the rocks for its aim lay straight for the protection of the bramble - or lack there of.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Poor little hare! Belharra watched hungrily as Vallkyrie went uphill. That hare was doomed, she could feel it in her jellies.

You can imagine the frown and disappointment that followed when the scree rumbled, but no hare took off. Belharra was about to holler something to her friend yonder, when a second volley of stones fell and with it came the bolting form of a rabbit. Belharra cackled with glee as the thing tripped over itself in a blind panic. How ridiculous it looked, long legs straight out as it went ass over tea-kettle and right into the waiting jaws of the wolf.

Belharra snatched the thing from the ground midstride, so fast that not even the hare registered his demise. With a snap his neck was limp, his eyes rolling. Belharra turned to her friend as if to congratulate her with a muffled accolade -but it was not to be so...

Instead, Belharra turned and bolted back into the fen neat as you please. SUCKER, Belharra thought with another cackle into hare-fur. How many times have strangers fallen for that old one-two?

Not enough apparently, that it ever got old.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
I didnt know if I needed to make a roll for this? Kyr plans to chase until she gets some food or Belharra tries to fight.

Vallkyrie remained vigilant, following just out of range of the hare should it take a sudden turn in another direction, should it spot her hunting partner at the last moment. But after its tumble did it falter into the awaiting jaws of Belherra. Kyr jumps forward, an excited playful bound at the opportunity for something larger then mouse, lizard or bug which she had been forced to live on. 

Though tables would take a turn. Instead of forth the other woman whips back around and dashes into the fen, taking the kill as a prize of her own. Though tricked (perhaps having grown to honorable for her own good) Kyr did not yet give up. It was the ruffled up brown hairs of the wolf which she now hunted. As swift as the huntress pleased, she dashed after her, hot on the heels of the woman as she aimed to trip her up enough to take what (at least part of) was rightfully hers.
134 Posts
Ooc —
You let me know if any of this isn't okay<3

Hoho! There was fire yet in the woman, who was tricked once but not at all discouraged. Belharra heard the rapid patter of her feet behind, and kicked into a hidden fifth gear.

For a lanky and tall wolf, she could move surprisingly quick - which she would have to do, if the hare was to be her own. "Mhyemh mMhh MHmumph!!!" (GET REKT, IDIOT or some variant, who knows) came the streamed reply, muffled of course, by delicious rabbit. Belharra was already trying her best to swallow all of it at once. She was doing admirably well too, until part of the hare which had gone down her gullet decided to make its big debut.

"Mhmfhgfgh." Belharra stopped suddenly, the rabbit halfway gone down her mouth. Her eyes bulged, her throat was suddenly in open rebellion -- "MMHPH!" Tears welled in the corner of her eyes as she started to choke, her airway obstructed. Over and over she kept trying to upchuck the  chunk of meat in her mouth, but the obstruction was so big she could not chase it from her chaw. Choking, clawing, and crying, Belharra swung around towards Vallkyrie and cursed that this woman might be the last thing she ever laid her eyes upon.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
That post was just too funny! Let me know if Kyr's moves are okay too.

Vallkyrie was not tired, not yet. She was after all a huntress and now, after having left her birth pack some time ago, a well traveled. Still, the woman before her seemed just the same and with a tall, leggy figure to match. Catching her would not be easy and yet she stops suddenly, causing Vallkyrie's paws to dig into the earth, sliding and skidding to a halt and bounding to the side to avoid collision. 

Vallkyrie's hackles raised and she was ready to take a defensive postion (as she thought she was going to be attacked) as the woman whipped around to face her. Eyes widened, steaming tears, hacking and convulsing. She was choking on it! You idiot! She was both a thief and a fool. For just the slightest second, Kyr had a mind to stand there and watch her choke to death on rabbit ass as her final living moment. However, Kyr was still young and innocent. She had not been hardened into a cruel woman. Although it was apparent this dirty brown woman was a trickster not to be trusted she had not yet done anything worth dying for, at least not to Vallkyrie. 

Lunging forward, Kyr grabbed ahold of the thigh and leg of the rabbit hanging from Belherra's jaws, the other foot having gotten lodged in her throat. Had she seriously tried to swallow this thing head first like she was some sort of snake? Pulling it out as smoothly (perhaps not that smoothly) and quickly as she could Vallkyrie would then jerk back and flop what was left of the mangled up hare between her forelegs. Serves ya right for being a cheat. She hissed and as quickly as she pleased ate up what was left of the rabbit.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra regretted a few things in life, in this moment. Quaffing the rabbit wasn't one of them, but having this fine lady as her last sight before she was shuffled off to greener pastures, well, that stung a bit.

She didn't have much in the way of protest, giving she was choking on a rabbit and all. Her eyes streaming, her vision flaring and then blistering in red, and her throat burning, Belharra gasped and clawed and wheezed and scrabbled up until the hare was yoinked from the back of her throat where it had taken up residence.

"HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAGH," Came the obnoxiously loud intake of air, greedy and indiscriminate. Belharra sat there a moment gasping, rubbing her throat with a slim paw. Fuck, that had hurt - and she had only managed half of the rabbit.

She supposed the trade was fair: the rabbit's business end for her life. Readjusting herself, Belharra cleared her raw throat. "Just keepin' ya on yer toes, is all. Ya coulda gotten worse then a stealed meal, yannow." Then she flashed her most disarming smile, which surprise, was not very disarming after all.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Vallkyrie licked her jaws from what was left of the quickly devoured lunch, both eating it likely so quickly they didnt have much chance to enjoy it- tis the life for a rogue. Eyes shot up to bore a pale, icy stare on the woman in response to her words. Then a wrinkled black muzzle. And you could have gotten worse if I decided to let you choke to death.   She sneered, back in turn, probably doing better then the scrappy woman had in her attempt. 

I'd say next time perhaps I'd let ya, but I dont think there will be any of that. She snorted, more or less to herself, having learned her lesson now. Still, though it had been more effort then she thought, Vallkyrie still got something to eat this day and a training along with it.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra's face wrinkled as she saw the woman quaff her meal - her chewed up, saliva ridden meal!! It just goes to show you, not every woman out there clutches their pearls when it comes to a little undecency..

This prompted a wide grin - a real grin - from Belharra McKinlaugh. "Say, you're not bad." The dark-coated woman admitted, an ounce of approval in her voice. She was still rubbing her throat, which was sore, when she spoke again. "You sayin' you don't want a next time?"
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
With a grin from Belherra came a smirk from Vallkyrie, her pale attention studying the dark muddy color of the woman's own as she made her statement of her. A half chuckle came from Kyr to the comment. Well thanks. Pehaps it was the snarky comeback Kyr had offered her which brought forth the statement, or the fact that she was maybe just as determined and stubborn. 

Not unless I'm doing the catching this round, and I promise, I wont shaft ya. Icy eyes narrowed a bit as another smirk crawled up onto the features of the youth. There wasnt a chance in hell Kyr would trust an honest hunting partner out of this one here. In the end however, Vallkyrie still got what she originally intended and was satisfied enough. Who are you anyway? I'm assuming you dont have anyone if your using your wits fooling strangers? Even if she didnt have a pack, it didnt mean the other woman didnt have some sort of group or traveling partner. Vallkyrie too, was alone.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Hah, shaft. Cue immature giggle. Belharra's eyes flicked to the woman, a momentary pause of her rubbing given. "I'm sorry love, looks like ye don't got the equipment for that anyhow." She grinned a toothy grin, resuming the rubbing of her tender throat. Boy, that one hurt like a bitch. She wasn't sure she ever wanted to quaff anything again, let alone something stolen.

As for who she was? Belharra winked, a roguish grin settling along her dark muzzle. "Oh, ye wouldn't know me. Name's Belharra. Got family that came out this way, that lived on the coast and mountains a bit, but I ain't from here meself. Got some sisters out and about, but mostly, I travel alone." The gleam in her eye said she liked it that way. "Who're you?"
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
She laughed. She spoke and Vallkyrie was silent a moment until - OOOOOH. She got it now. Kyr's expression narrowed, regarding Belharra with a look of 'really...?' over her features. Oh my gods... She spoke up with a rolling of those icy pale eyes. Sure she did have quite the sense of humor, if anything. Maybe she would do Kyr some good with lightening up a bit better. Not that Vallkyrie considered herself much of a bore though.... 

And with the dark woman's wink, she introduced. Belharra. Finally a name to the thief. She explained she did have family around here, somewhere. Siblings, sisters... Vallkyrie had one littermate, a sister, and that was all she knew of before she left. Belharra was a lone wolf through and through though, but at least she had a backup plan where family could help out if the need arose. Vallkyrie Archer. Came here from a peninsula called Torbine. Quite the travel from here.  She spoke, pausing to lick at her jaws, the taste of hare still fresh in her mouth. She was still hungry, of course. Its all just me now. Though I dont think I'll stick to myself for too long. I like having a place in a pack, somewhere to call home. Not having to watch my back 24/7 or worrying so much about starving... Unlike the position they both found themselves in now, it seemed, having squabbled over a rabbit.
134 Posts
Ooc —
For about thirty seconds Belharra had feared her joke sailed right over Vallkyrie's pointy ears. Then a spark went off, and it was clear the joke had left the station and landed, albeit a rocky start.

Whew. She wasn't much for hanging out with the types that didn't get her brand of humor. She was hilarious, and everyone should laugh at her jokes - because, they were funny. Anyone with anything to say to the contrary could fuck right off.

"Well, Vallkyrie Archer. If ye's in the mood for a proposition, I got ones for ye. Let's stick together, you'n'me, and I promise, there won't be anymore tricks an' such where that came from. Ye follow?" Belharra didn't mind stowing away the pranks, as long as it was mutually benefitting to both parties (but primarily her, tbh).
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Wanna wrap this one up since we got another now?

Belharra spoke of a proposition and a playful smirk touched the expression of Vallkyrie Archer. Oh, not another one! Yeah I follow. She spoke them when Belharra finished laying it out for her. Though Belharra was the lone ranger type, even she knew it would be a good idea to stick together if anything to get them through the winter. Vallkyrie would find a place within these lands, though without knowing how long that would be, having someone to hunt with and watch your back was as good as any. And I say you got yourself a deal. Now say we search for something else to eat in these fields and not choke to death on it hmm? She laughs,  completely at Belharra's expense, of course.
134 Posts
Ooc —
of course! Feel free to make assumptions also on how they momentarily got separated. It can be Belharra's fault :P

Two heads were always better than one. Even though it came with two mouths to feed. Belharra could work out that kink later. For now, she was just delighted her second proposition was accepted.

"Deal, cully." Belharra responded, ready to get more food in her belly. Just so turns out Vallkyrie must have read her mind. Nodding vigorously she padded after the woman. "No chokin'." She grinned wildly and then took off in a scattering of snow. She was ready to fill her stomach up to the brim, and would be on her best behavior. Promise!