Blackfeather Woods we live in a society
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
All Welcome 
Tags for reference.

Bhediya made sure to alert @Ibis of her upcoming absence. "No longer than a day", she'd assured her, "I'll be back by tomorrow evening." On her way out of the territory, she'd told @Pygmalion to make sure he stayed put to watch over the pack. The King of the North had an unsettling habit of following her and she didn't want the stress of being watched.

It took longer to locate Maegi's claim than the ascetic had anticipated. Passing through the mountain range and exiting at the right end was difficult when one had little knowledge of the land beyond the valley. Once she'd made it through to the lake, her direction became clearer.

High evening had passed into the early morning by the time Bhediya arrived. She spent the time until sunrise lounging just outside of the borders. Eventually, she stood, stretched, and moved closer to call for @Maegi.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
It was meant to be, after all. Maegi heard the call and her ears cupped forward, not recognizing the sound at first. As she approached, though, she spotted the shadow at the edge of the trees and couldn't resist a smile that oozed over her lips. Her eyes sparkled as she drew to a halt, tail flagging behind her in greeting.

Back so soon? she asked, an uncharacteristic mischief entering her voice, before fading again. It's good to see you again, uh. . . The Melonii paused, pursing her lips in some embarrassment. Had she forgotten the woman's name entirely? I'm sorry, I don't know if we were properly introduced last time. Maegi, she offered, just in case she had been remiss.

Why are you here? she wondered, but it was a question that could wait a little bit—even if her curious brain demanded the answer immediately.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
It took only a moment for Maegi's familiar form to materialize from the shadows. Bhediya lowered herself upon realizing that this was a border, after all. Still, her face read just as cordial a greeting as one might expect. I had to keep my word, she laughed in an effort to match the mischevious undertones. Bhe is fine. Matters hadn't changed since her conversation with Pygmalion; a name was only a name, and she'd been known by many.

How've you been? the scout asked, Your pack? The pressures of what had passed seemed to be easing, as least on the landscape. There were undoubtedly scars left on everyone who had paid witness, but Bhe didn't expect Maegi to share those just yet.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Bhe, she responded, nodding. I had to keep my word, the woman had said. Maegi wondered if Bhe had prayed to Jaes, too, or if she had neglected to do so. Or, worse—refused. The Nona couldn't tell anyone who or how to worship, but she did reserve the right to be privately displeased in lack of faith.

Maegi shrugged at the question, unsure of how to reply. As well as we can be, I suppose, she answered cryptically, after pausing a moment to consider. There were problems here, there and everywhere, none of which she had the power to tackle. Indeed, she felt powerless, shackled to her inadequacies.

Did you find who you were looking for, in the east? the Melonii asked, shifting the conversation away from Blackfeather Woods.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Somewhat, Bhediya replied. The kids were still lost and unlikely to be found, but that was okay. She'd found a different family and established a new starting point, one that didn't have to include past mistakes. A part of her had come to hope that they would never reunite, though she would never admit this aloud. 

There was a small, albeit noticeable break in conversation. There's a pack forming in the Valley. It was okay to stop referring to them as a settlement, Bhe thought. Their numbers were almost full, if not there already. It isn't far from here.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Hmm. A half-answer; Maegi wondered what difficulties Bhe had run into on the road. Still, it seemed as if there had been some success. As far as a pack— This valley? Maegi asked, ears canting forward. Where? Or do you mean on the other side of the mountains?

Should it be the latter, a forming pack was of little concern to her. But any group this side of the range merited her attention. Serem had come back with followers—who knew what shadow of the past would resurface with a new pack? Maegi was unwilling to take any chances.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
if this makes no sense, know that i've had five hours of sleep in the last 48 okay soRRY

maegi's possible indifference had never crossed bhediya's mind. no, over the mountains, she replied. the kintla was a fair and fertile stretch of land; she thought to bring it up to ibis come spring. 

that's not, bhe sighed, i mean, i came as a scout, but that wasn't my main reason for coming. in truth, the need to know more about maegi's jaes was her motivation. there was so much going on that she figured a little faith would do her good.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
omg you're fine but get some sleeeeeep

Ah, well, then. Wasn't of much concern of her if they were so far. What Bhe said next was way more interesting, anyway, and she found herself leaning forward a little, as if waiting for the scout to impart a great secret. Yes? Why have you returned, then?

She had a good feeling about this, but so often her good feelings had led her astray. Best to just stay quiet, stay emotionless, and wait for things to fall into place.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
i want to know more about your god, bhediya admitted. her words came from a place of vulnerability, one that she hoped maegi could understand. it was difficult to admit the need for help.

the scout's writer had no motivation, so instead of continuing immediately, she waited for a reply.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
My god, Maegi whispered, smiling. She felt a warmth surround her, a comforting caress. All the same, she momentarily panicked. How to make the intangible tangible—how did she explain something that had been second nature to her since birth? The pressure twisted her stomach, and she paused a moment, face contemplative.

Jaes. . .has no name. It means 'god,' in my family's old language, she continued, finally. Jaes is formless, nameless, sexless—Jaes is everything. All else is falsehood, pretending to be someone or something else. Jaes is truth, concerned with life and death and all that comes in-between.

The words came, and kept coming. She surprised even herself, even after speaking with such conviction on deities for so long. This felt better than any other diatribe before it.

Jaes isse. . .'in Jaes.' Ñuha āeksio, ñuha Jaes—'my lord, my god.' But you do not have to have my family's tongue to speak to Jaes. Jaes will come if you speak from your soul.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
there was an instant flood of information. feeling somewhat overwhelmed, bhediya furrowed her brow and gave a gentle shake of her head in an effort to keep up. jaes is everything, maegi explained, but the declaration only drew more confusion.

the scout let her finish. do i just say that? she asked quietly, or...do i need something? is there, i don't know, a routine? prayer for the sake of prayer; it was a foreign concept, one that bhe had never known. it can't be that simple, she thought.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Maegi paused, and then shook her head. You can say whatever you want, she told Bhe. Those words were ones I created a long time ago. They suited me—you may find words that suit you better. And as for routine. . .

She was stuck a little, now. Jaes and Peryite were nearly inextricably linked within her; the worship of the latter fit neatly in with her understanding of the former. But what about someone who had no knowledge of the daedra? Maybe Maegi's routines would not work for Bhe. Maybe they would go against everything the woman already believed in.

My worship of Jaes rests in the life cycle, she murmured. I bring Jaes things once living. Corpses of animals, bones, decaying leaves and plants. It feels only right that these things should rest with Jaes, that they remind me of what is to come. What's inevitable for all of us.

Maegi shrugged, then, giving the visitor a half-smile. Again, though, other rituals may fit you better than mine, she admitted. Jaes, in my experience, is not so particular. Just speak to Jaes, from your heart. . .and Jaes will respond.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
it still didn't feel right. there was something that bhediya was missing. the background, maybe; as opposed to maegi's upbringing in the faith, all that she had was a general overview of what it encompassed. there had to be more, but asking for it didn't feel like an option. 

the topic of discussion had been exhausted. in the next meeting (because she was sure that there would be one), bhe thought that she might ask for more details. something more concrete, she thought. 

thank you, she replied, i'll... i'll try. what would she even ask for? if maegi was so confident that it would work, then bhe thought that she ought to ask for something worthwhile. i'll be back. after waiting for a potential response, bhe turned and continued on her path.

Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Again with the 'try.' Maegi supposed it was the proper step at this juncture, although. . .if she'd spoken to Jaes before, shouldn't she know? There should be some certainty, and there was no certainty in the word 'try.' Still, she let it slide, overwhelmed by her fondness for Bhe and happiness that someone was actually listening and absorbing her ramblings on gods and fate.

Good, the Nona said, smiling. Safe travels. Jaes isse. She saw the woman off, and then returned to her forest. She wondered if anyone within the woods would be as fervent a disciple as the voyager—after all, who among them had made such a pilgrimage?

She was impressed. She was touched beyond measure.