Emberwood Now there's nothing at all that can keep us apart.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Anyone pledged to UG, or anyone in the area who wants help with trades! :)

It had been raining off-and-on all day, and by the afternoon the grey of the sky had begun to darken. It felt too early for darkness, but Ibis couldn't stop the migration of the sun or the shortening of the days, much as she'd like to. Although she had seen winter before, Ibis did not recall the limited daylight. It made the rain feel all that more oppressive; as if she hadn't seen the sun at all in weeks, when it had only been a few days. This moodiness was new to her. It could have been a sign of her own maturation, but more than likely, it was the lack of sunlight affecting her detrimentally, and her mind was abuzz with thoughts of spring flowers to compensate.

Ibis wondered if all of this would be here by the spring. Would her friends disperse for greener pastures? Would they all survive as the frosts became snowfall, became winter, with life slowly stripped away? Her concern was written across her face, as was so often the case with Ibis who wore her feelings openly. She would do everything in her power to keep everyone happy and healthy—but there on her face was the doubt, the skepticism, because the girl couldn't keep her actual family together so what would make this so different?

She pined for home, for the familiar warmth of her mothers, for Okeanos' company—and knew too, that it was futile to wish for something so long abandoned. She had to keep her mind occupied or else her diminished mood would rule her, and nobody would follow someone with such obvious flaws. So she did just that: kept an open mind (as open as she could), flitting from one ridge of trees to the next or investigating piles of leaves, checking in with the wolves as she passed them... But all the while, the dark clouds followed her.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
The trip to Blackfeather had left Bhediya with more questions than she'd entered with. There were things that they would need to discuss, ideas that needed to be hashed out.. She thought that it would be best to talk about it with someone, but only after she'd considered what she would say.

The familiar figure of there leader sulked through the wood. Equally curious and concerned, she approached, tail wagging and ears perked.

What's on your mind? Bhediya asked. The distress was written in Ibis's expression. Words could only do so much, but if what she needed was someone to talk to, Bhe would be there. She sat down and waited for the girl's response.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It hadn't slipped her mind that Bhediya had vanished for some days, but with so much filling her sunlit hours and the various thoughts flooding her at night, Ibis had so much on her plate she hadn't the time to worry about the older woman. Just another layer to her worries, and one she could not afford to focus on. When the woman's scent became stronger within the wood however, Ibis remembered; she put aside her many other thoughts, eager to reunite with Bhediya. It was Bhediya who found her first, though.

The woman's earthly scent—leftover from the marsh—had diminished considerably. The various smells of the forest had begun to drape her now; not the same smell of the Emberwood though, which was curious. Perhaps she had been exploring during her time away. Ibis was pleased with the company and yet she let out a sigh at Bhediya's question—smiling softly and shaking her head, Nothing, I'm okay. Dismissive.

She had questions though. You had a good trip? Did you see anything, or learn anything? Maybe she had gone off in search of family again. Ibis couldn't remember if they'd had a discussion about the whats, wheres, whys.. But she settled in beside the shadow, giving her paws some relief.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Being vague because the Maegi + Bhe thread is still active. Also, short post because I'm at 2% muse.

Bhediya gave Ibis an assuring shoulder bump. They didn't have to talk about it; she was sure that the girl would be able to figure it out. I accomplished my goal, Bhediya said, but some rest is in order. My body is too weathered to keep pushing myself. She gave a short, hearty laugh and smiled at Ibis. You're still young, though. 

I went to the Flatlands, she continued, to meet a woman named Maegi.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis nodded as she listened. I'm glad you came home safe, the girl offers with a smile, and then brushes at her friend's coat with her snout, her cheek, strengthening their shared scent since it might've waned during Bhediya's travels. She wanted to ask about the event in detail but wasn't sure if it was appropriate; maybe this Maegi was a member of Bhediya's lost family? If she wanted to share then Ibis was eager to listen but she also did not want to pry. So instead she murmurs, They live in the Flatlands, then? I used to live over that way myself within a forest called Neverwinter, but the region is quite a large one and I did not explore much of it. How do they fare?
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
A singing lark stole Bhediya's attention. Yeah, the Flatlands, she muttered, It's, uh... It had been her assumption that most small birds would have long deserted the Wilds. She wondered if he was looking for someone, or maybe waiting for a companion's return. 

Bhe turned back to Ibis, sharing an apologetic glance. Blackfeather Woods. It's just over the range, really. If Ibi was up for it, she would have been more than happy to make a return trip someday. I think you'd like her, actually. Very interesting. 

As far as I could tell, which wasn't very far at all, their group is doing alright. How are we doing, though? I feel like I'm only home for minutes at a time.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Exploring the valley had taken up a lot of her youth and now, with so many people gathered in one place, she found the shared tales of other packs and vistas to be just as enthralling. A part of her wished to explore everywhere. She desired travel for herself and the exploration of previously unknown spaces—but as progress was made towards fashioning this forest in to a home, Ibis found herself rooted to the territory more often than not. She would have to make-do living vicariously through the scouts; thus when Bhediya spoke of this Blackfeather Woods place, she was fixated, enthralled. Envious.

How are we doing, though? Bhediya asks—and the follow-up comment draws Ibis' thoughts away from talk of the foreign woods, and this new relationship the mother may have begun cultivating. In the back of Ibis' mind was the thought that the Blackfeather wolves might make good allies, but she did not voice this.

I think we're doing alright. I spoke to Kavik about possible leadership. He's more than happy to defend our territory against anyone that comes knocking, not that we've had any issues like that. It would be good to have someone stalwart in the council, she thought. Better, too, that Kavik had so much experience with which to teach Ibis. Our numbers hold steady, although food stores are still low. Did you notice any prey on your travels? Maybe if they were lucky creatures would start returning before winter overwhelmed them, but what were the chances of that.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
Bhediya shook her head. There isn't much of anything. The prey had yet to return, and with winter approaching, she speculated that it would be a while before they did. A while ago, she continued, I met a hunting party from Lost Creek Hollow. Well, part of a party. Bhe recounted the boy who wandered the Foxlands. I could go and scope it out, maybe with @Awol. 

Their options were obviously limited. The tundra and coast were both too dangerous to scout but the valley and flatlands seemed to be depleted. Exploring the mountains meant risking a turf war, but it was unlikely that they'd have any luck, anyway. Bhediya felt hopeless without more to suggest.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
It was disheartening news, but they'd survive. They had to. Watching as Bhediya's face became crestfallen made the young girl's heart ache all the same; no amount of hope could fill her belly and take away the hunger that they all felt. Perhaps it would be wise to begin their own migration to somewhere better—but Ibis swiftly put an end to such thoughts. They hadn't fully settled in the Emberwood yet and she wasn't about to undo all of their hard work on a whim. It appeared as though the famine had struck the entirety of the Wilds, not just this region or the next, so even if they chose to roam they would find hardship. Best to stay here, then.

Hearing of the Hollow brought a shine to her eye, and Ibis thought of her father, of her half-siblings. Hopefully the season was treating them well enough. I sent Awol to visit them actually. He's tasked with meeting their leadership and proposing an alliance, which might be useful to us if the prey remains scarce. Had she ever told Bhediya of her relation to Terance? It didn't feel important at the moment so she didn't bother mentioning it. But he should be home soon, and if you want to take him scouting he'd probably appreciate it.

Awol had always been a useful creature, enigmatic as far as Ibis could discern, and she was glad to have him around. Then again, it might be nice for both of her friends to take a short break and recouperate—they'd both been out exploring, like Bhediya had said, without much of a pause between missions. Did you want a rest? I can go check on the caches, see if there's anything to spare so that you can at least fill your belly, warm up a while...? Ibis smiles as she suggests this, and waits patiently for an answer.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
There was a small twinge of inadequacy in the back of Bhediya's mind. Awol was only acting out his duties and she knew this, but hearing that he'd been given the first mission still hurt. The scout decided that she would spend more time within the territory and minimize her trips outside.

Bhediya nodded her head in agreeance with Ibis's suggestion. That sounds good, she said. There was no place for resentment or jealousy (or any combination of the two) between members of the pack. I'll keep an eye out for him, then. 

There was a sense of urgency that came with Ibis's suggestion. The scout's brow furrowed with discontent though her maw maintained an indifferent grin. Well, okay. She was under the impression that their conversation was coming to an abrupt end. Are you sure you're alright? It would be the last time that she asked before leaving the girl to her own devices.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Content that things were handled for now, and pleased to see that Bhediya was willing to go on the next mission with Awol in tow, Ibis was in a good place mentally. She felt a little scratch at the back of her throat but chose to ignore it; the girl had spent so many days now roaming the woods or talking to new recruits, getting to know people, she figured a little wear-and-tear was inevitable. A little nap would do her good - or some food, if there was any to spare.

A brief flare of selfishness engulfed her at that moment. Things felt settled with Bhediya and the conversation had been quick. She could've asked about the Blackfeather pack or this woman named Maegi but thoughts of food and sleep were distracting her. Between that and the many worries she'd entered the scene with, Ibis was feeling a little under the weather.

Are you sure you're alright? The mother asked more fervently, concern written across her features in such an obvious manner that Ibis felt compelled to reply, I am, I really am. There's so much going on, so much to keep on top of -- so I guess I'm a little bit preoccupied. The girl clears her throat softly, sniffs once. I'm going to go do another check of the territory and scout out the caches, but I'll be around if you need me for anything. With that she withdraws herself, dismissing Bhediya with a little nod of her chin.
759 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Ambassador
Ranger
bhediya figured that she ought to believe the girl. if something was wrong, she trusted that ibis would have chosen her to confide in. she watched the young leader exit and soon followed suit, thinking that it might be nice to explore the territory.