Altar of Twilight a bitter pill to swallow
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
All Welcome 
Keeping her status in Moonspear vauge since her joining thread is still active and she has yet to officially be accepted. All welcome of course!

Darkness concealed the dark woman as she walked. The only light came from the heavens in the form of billions of stars and the half eaten moon that helped to guide her way. She followed what little light remained, to no place in particular, and immersed herself in the luring sound of singing crickets and the scurring feet of other small critters that occupied the night when most large creatures sought for shelter. Katya could not sleep, instead she was focused on what kind of future lie ahead for her while on these lands. She also wondered whether she would really be able to commit to this land and the pack she would eventually join. Thoughts of the future kept her up at night and rattled the pit of her stomach for fuel--without a second thought she went off for a hunt.

She was uncertain if any others were awake at this time but would welcome another distraction in the form of company. Regardless of how hungry she was, a conversation with another wolf always made her feel more whole and worthwhile, and would allow her to become more familiar with the land she had chose to settle--every chance encounter increased her opportunity to gain more knowledge of these lands. She was hungry in more than one way, being a pack creature by nature made her this way, but for the moment she followed her inate instinct to fill her belly and followed the stale trail of small prey.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra's folk called the moon that hung above the Cotter's Moon, for its waxing surface would shine brighter each night, much like a hand in constant work would eventually yield full stomachs and light hearts. She doubted anyone here (miles from the island) would call this moon much of anything, except unflattering light.

There were other rituals that accompanied the gradual fulling of the moon (called something else far less disarming), yet that's not where Belharra's mind was today. Her mind was encircling around those pesky buggers in the pines, and how she might payback their lack of generosity. The Bespeckled Git, as Belharra had begun calling him, was due to be tossed off of his high horse. She reckoned if there was a way she could hasten that abrupt dismount, she'd sure as shit comply.

She was too amused with her thoughts, which carried her away until she came across a woman that, for all of Belharra's historical loquacity, had her jaw hanging slack. Nothing about this woman seemed proportionate, a flaw Belharra was likely to point out as soon as her gob opened. Her fur was thick (nah, wispy, Belharra noted with confusion) and her tail as fine as a pinecone. Her body seemed normal, but her legs stopped woefully short. Belharra sheathed all criticisms the second she met the woman's honeyed gaze, offered an amiable wave of her (normal) tail, and scooted on over. "Ello 'ello 'ello, friend of the woods. Fine night for hunting, innit?"
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Thank you soooo much for joining this thread!

Her ears perked at the sound of approaching feet and accompanying it was a greeting that tilted her head ever so slightly. Belharra's accent caught her off guard, the dark woman hesitated a moment to decipher what was said to her, lulling the words a second time over in her head to be certain of what the woman said before giving her own response. "Yes, I'm hoping tonight is a promise of something worthwhile." she said with a wag of her tail, half hoping that the sight of a full moon would bring her luck. "are you from around here?" she asked next, giving her company the once over.

Belharra, from this light, was not very remarkable. Her pelt resembled the color of her own but what peaked her interest and completely set the women apart, was Belharra's intimidating height. The woman seemed to be all legs, if anything else. She too was scruffy, her pelt seeming to have a mind of its own and went which way it pleased. She was sure though, her own appearance was worth a double take considering that unlike her counterpart, she seemed stunted in height and fairly chubby beneath her thick, long coat, in fact she could recall hearing faint whispers from others that winter must have been favorable for her, as if prey came so easy for her. "I'm Katya by the way... she grew silent, waiting for the woman to speak finally.
I have returned back to work full time and am also taking care of a newborn so bare with me in regard to replies. I will make it a priority to reply to threads at least within a week, if you have concerns do not hesitate to PM me and I can make our thread a higher priority. Posts are typically responded to by the weekend!
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra liked well-fed women. She could tolerate well-fed men, though she found them self-pandering and of course, all too impressed with their own accomplishments. But well-fed women, that meant the going was good for them - and where the going was good, there was bound to be food.

So of course, she flashed her most winning smile Katya's way. It was a wide smile that reached her eyes, her hungry eyes - leaving the viewer to wonder if the gesture was genuine or out of desperation. Good news was, this woman seemed friendly.. Belharra hoped just friendly enough to share her seemingly steady food supply. "Is a fine night indeed, I suppose." Her tail swept side to side as if disregarding the quality of the night; what was more important was the quality of food. "You find anything of interest? I could use a meal - and, pardon my forwardness an' such, but it looks as if you are at least better fed than myself." She blinked as if horrified by the rambunctiousness of her mouth, then offered a sweeping bow. "Belharra McKinlaugh, famished hunter and storyteller extraordinare, at your service."
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Something about Belharra made her nervous and immediately her posture changed from one of openness to that of cautiousness. She could feel her mouth grow uncomfortably dry, and in an effort to quiet the sound from her pounding heart the woman's ears fell down to her skull, her inituition telling her to run. She wasn't quite sure why she felt this way, judging from Belharra's appearance she was friendly enough--possibly too friendly--but Katya had been hoping to find a friendly face in the sea of emptiness. Why then did she feel so off? "I caught the scent of rabbit, but I think it may have went stale..." she spoke, wondering how the woman would take the news; as she'd expected, this woman considered from appearance alone that Katya had been eating herself fat.

"I've had my fair share of luck," she said, admitting to the woman her success since entering the land but it was most likely due to being in the right place at the right time. "but nothing worth bragging about." she said, assuring the woman that looks were indeed deceiving. "I'm Katya, it's a pleasure to meet you Belharra." she said, flashing her warmest smile in the tall girls direction. It would seem that for a moment she felt her nervousness flee. "I'm sure you have plenty of stories you could tell..." she started, looking toward the ground before continuing on. "I wouldn't mind hearing one while tracking down a prey suitable for two." she admitted while coming to her haunches in a sit. A hunting party of two was always better, and more successful, than one.
I have returned back to work full time and am also taking care of a newborn so bare with me in regard to replies. I will make it a priority to reply to threads at least within a week, if you have concerns do not hesitate to PM me and I can make our thread a higher priority. Posts are typically responded to by the weekend!
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra was sharp in more ways than one. She caught the cautious flicker, that change of posture. She responded with an open smile that probably did nothing to dispell the female's suspicions. Truth was, Belharra was a shady sort. No matter how she tried to guss up or paint her appearance, she would always come across as an open book - which mean those more intrepid than others would be able to read her quite clearly.

She had been half hoping this woman was of a pack, so her ears fell as Katya said she was just in the right place at the right time. No kidding. Her weight was testament to how much luck had favored her, and Belharra was just a smidgen too jealous. "Lissen." Belharra started simply, adopting an air of grave concern. "Its's in my best innerest to keep ya around, so it is -- bein' that luck favors ye, and alladat. So, I'll pass the time with stories in such, while you be my lucky rabbits' foot. Fair, innit? Ye got any prey that you're partic-cular to?" Her eyes gleamed as she awaited answer to her proposition. Of course, she hoped the answer was yes.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Belharra flashed another friendly smile, one that had quickly won Katya over and her defenses lowered even further until she felt that this woman was in fact not a threat. She wasn't sure what had caused her to feel otherwise, and inwardly shamed herself for judging so harshly and quick; she had to be better next time. "I'll be your lucky rabbits foot." she said, chuckling at the idea of being anyone's good luck charm. She was happy to be of the woman's service, no matter how ridiculous the request. "I just hope you've got good stories, and plenty of them if we need them. she said, chuckling again. "I prefer rabbit or beaver if I'm lucky, they're typically easy to tackle alone." she responded but since there were two of them "I think the two of us could manage a goat...what do you think?" she asked with a tilt of her head, curious whether the woman would agree. She was sure if they traveled back toward the mountain range they would find something, well at least she hoped to be so lucky.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Katya Noir might learn in time to trust her instincts. They were certainly not wrong, not about Belharra McKinlaugh. She was a scrappy wolf, and a good wolf to have on your side.. if she fancied being on your side that day.

Belharra sauntered off, nose to the ground. All she smelled was snow, some stale scents, and her own trackings. Listening to the hush of the forest, she didn't hear much either. "Well, best get to it." She padded down a slope, ducking under a brush of pine. "Ye ever hear about the Cotter's Moon, then?" Her eyes flashed back to Katya apprisingly, wondering if her culture had far-reaching tendencies.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She followed behind the dark woman, mimicking her actions and lowering her nose to the many scents that wafted toward them. So many were not of interest to the woman, and her attention switched between that of Belharra and tracking the prey they were in search of. She wondered if this hunt would produce anything worthwhile and hoped that with the woman at her side, she would be able to bring something of worthwhile to the pack. "No, sounds interesting though. Please, do tell." she responded when the woman asked if she had heard of the Cotters moon.
134 Posts
Ooc —
So far, no scents. Disappointing, but Belharra was used to it. She spoke freely as she walked, pausing occasionally to nose something before moving along. For the most part, her voice carried well over the snow, though occasionally was muffled as she stuck her snout snow-deep in something interesting.

"So ye haven't?  Well - it's what we call our halfmoon. The one that grows bigger everyday." She paused to make sure the female was following, eyes on the trail as she went. "Well, that moon's named that on account of a wolf of legend in my culture, name o' Cotter." Belharra swung over a branch with ease, turning around to watch as Katya did the same. "Ye got any rogues, tricksters, mebbe, in your culture?" She'd wait for an answer, to draw parallels if she could. "That's wot this Cotter was -- a tricksty bastard as we call'em.

He was a lone wolf when he came to the Islands, beggin' our king of yore for a place in their pack. Back then, it was a big pack - a kingdom, even. The old king, that sly dog, took one look at our man Cotter and he says, 'I aint sure I likes the looks of ye', but Cotter, you see, had caught the eye of the king's mate -- a shrewd little thing called Tia."

She paused for the tenth time or so, grinning. "Got any guesses, on where this story goes?"
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She followed Belharra without missing a beat, her short limbs carrying her easily over each obstacle. She, like her counterpart, would lower her nose to the ground in search of a scent but kept her attention on the story as well, listening as the woman described the cotter that also happened to be a moon. She could remember her parents telling plenty of stories with a trickster, more so as a way to teach them a lesson and she was certain that this story would be no different but it kept her attention non the less. "Ah yes, we have plenty of those stories back home." she admitted, hanging back from Belharra a short moment when she thought to have found a trail but realizing that it had grown stale hours ago and continued on.

"I can only imagine that the kings mate found him charming...and the king, being the ruler that he is, was not fond of having such a lowly creature take his partner and sought to have him beheaded..." she said, attempting to fill in some gaps of the story. "am I right?" she said, though at that moment something had caught her eyes, it was the sight and scent of a pine marten that made her stop and observe whether she should attempt to even give chase to the creature that had so quickly fled from them. She glanced to Belharra and darted off from the woman without a second thought, giving chase to the weasel with hopes that it would not find a place to hide.
134 Posts
Ooc —
I can only imagine that the kings mate found him charming...and the king, being the ruler that he is, was not fond of having such a lowly creature take his partner and sought to have him beheaded... Am I right? Belharra considered this for a moment, before owlishly blinking in response. "Wot? No. This isn't some fairy-tale story, lassie." Belharra admonished, clearing her throat to continue..

Her eyes caught movement ahead. Story time was over. She thought maybe a fisher, otter, or marten. Something long and languid. "Hey! Hol' up. Isn't it some sort of cosmic crime to eat your own species?" She joked, easing into a gallop behind the woman.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
She wasn't quite listening to Belharra, her mention that the story was not a fairytale went on deaf ears as she chased with all her might in the direction of the fleeing Pine Marten. Her run turned into that of a hop, as she jumped and sailed effortlessly over the branches and fallen pines that covered the ground, though it seemed her efforts also went unnoticed as the scent and tracks of her prey disappeared. She stopped dead in her tracks, ears perked atop her skull to listen for the footfalls of her disappearing food but caught only the approach of Belharra who had caught up with Katya. She panted at her spot, adrenaline running through her from the chase and she settled in a sit to catch her breath, scratching at her neck to dislodge the debris that had caught ahold of her silky pelt. "I didn't mean to lose you back there, I swear I had that Marten in my grasp, those sneaky weasels." she said and chuckled innocently. It seemed at this spot and distance she could smell even more of the creatures below the earth.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Belharra flipped a switch real fast when she realized her story - her carefully made, perfectly spun story - was literally falling on deaf ears.

She clapped her mouth shut, stood at attention, and glared. She wasn't going to be anyone's road-bard if they weren't willing to pay the price: which, as luck had it, was the simple fee of two receptive, working ears.

"Hmph." Belharra responded with a lash of her tail, the scoff as cold as the winter air about them. "If ye care more 'bout your weaselfolk than my story, might as well say it, lass. I won't be wastin' me breath a moment further, if ye like."
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
Her stomach rumbled loudly, snapping her from the trace that had come over her from watching the weasel slip from out of sight and disappear beneath the cover of snow. She sighed then, pushing aside the feeling of frustration and turned toward the dark woman who looked equally crossed and frustrated--she caught herself from asking what was wrong. It seemed she had forgotten to listen to the story, far too occupied with the thrill of the chase and a determination to eat, she only hoped the woman would understand. She turned to face the dark woman, her words cutting her and she winced inwardly, licking her dry lips before apologizing. "I did not mean to be rude, please do continue. I'm all ears." she said, settling into a comfortable sit. "how did the kings mate take to ole' Cotter?" she questioned, having recalled the names mentioned easily.
134 Posts
Ooc —
The thing about Belharra is, once you got on her bad side, there wasn't much coming back. Nevermind it was easy to get on her bad side also. She wasn't about to dispense her incredible storyweaving to someone who had less of an ear for a spectacular story than a log.

Oh no, it would take way more convincing than that.

She hmmphed loudly and tilted her muzzle to the sky, eyes narrowing as she dismissively walked right past Katya. "Ye's not innerested. I'll take my stories elsewhere." And she would do exactly that unless Katya really put on a convincing display.
fragile
57 Posts
Ooc — Hero
I apologize for making you wait! I'm okay with closing this whenever!

She watched in amazement, and silence, as the woman waltz passed her with her tail standing tall with the look of pure annoyance and frustration. It would seem that the chase had cost her both company and a meal--one of which made her stomach growl as if alive. She shifted on her paws, knowing fully well what the woman was expecting from her but not knowing if her stomach would allow her to participate, she was afterall starving and the last thing on her mind was to consume a story. She hesitated, biting her lips and flicking an ear backward in thought before defeat fell over her and she found herself sighing deeply. "You are right, I am wrong to have not been paying attention. I would love to hear your story, perhaps another day? I live in Moonspear, just beyond the mountains." she said, her head turning toward the looming peak. "would you come visit me? Or I can venture out in search of you again..." and she trailed off, wondering if the older woman would accept her offer.
134 Posts
Ooc —
Just like any thespian, Belharra had a penchant for dramatics, and expected a rather dramatic display of begging if she was to keep Katya's company a moment longer. She continued her waltz right past Miss Stumpylegs, not even flicking an ear back as Katya spoke behind her. Bollocks and good riddance to her, Belharra thought darkly - she had prepared a wonderful story, but she wasn't one to beg company where company was indifferent.

"HMMMPH!" Was the only answer in response. Haughtily Belharra threw up her tail, and marched right on out of there with nary a single glance back.

I would love a new thread sometime!