Sleepy Fox Hollow Where I thought I knew it all before I knew what love was
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler felt as though wylla was describing herself, and the beginnings of a smile curled his lips at the irony. she did not even seem to know the vast similarity there. 
but before the gargoyle could say a single thing upon the matter, wylla struck with the shocking lash of more than a mere suggestion. the general’s first instinct was a swift defense, head rearing back in chagrin. but he caught himself more quickly this time, letting out his breath in a trail of white steam.
”vould you vant me to climb into your sleeping place, vylla?” mahler shot back crisply, before her scowl replaced their bit of lighter banter.
”i vish you to be safe before you leave on the next leg of your journey. the land is changed. some places have become treacherous.” 
awash in the light of her sunflower eyes, mahler blinked. a dornblume, he decided: a strong blossom with deceptively soft petals of pastel hue. it nestled itself within the jagged edge of briars, and stabbed repeatedly those drawn to it, until few came to seek its fragrance again.
he suspected wylla rather liked it that way.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Her tone was deadpan when she emphatically replied, no, not so different from all those days ago on the edge of her claim when he had bowed. She was older now and refused for different reasons, bearing in mind the cruelty of what he suggested—Wylla was intrigued, of course, but for all the things she was, she would not falsely lead him on that way.

Okay, she relented, I'll stay, if you insist. More than just tonight if that would be all right with you; I haven't got anywhere else to go. Only— she felt this was important to add lest he get his hopes higher than she intended, —until I can search the whole of these wilds. I can help out with your pack in return.. Tiercel was a grown wolf now and her mother following her to the ends of the earth was probably unbecoming enough. No need to be single-minded about it until she had a lead.

In the meantime, perhaps she could make it up to Mahler for the harsh things she'd said and done when her child was still small and precious.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
ever careful, wylla seemed to weigh the choice before responding. she was quick to add about the rest, but mahler's spirit had already been lifted by hearing her agree to even a single evening.
"as long as you are vanting. i must admit, vylla, there is no large game. the earth has trembled a long time, and the herds left before vinter arrived."
the woman was a pragmatic sort; he could offer the protection of diaspora but scarce else in the way of sustenance. yet his recent alliance with courtfall would perhaps suit them all in the end.
gathering himself up, mahler turned toward the borders, taking a single step before glancing back along his sable flank.
and within him adrenaline circling his heart, all but forcing itself into his features. he held himself composed, however. 
wylla was home.
wylla was here.
silently he remained.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Well, thought Wylla, that was all very unfortunate, but she wasn't exactly built for large game hunting anyway. In both Ankyra Sound and Keokuk Glade, she and her family had subsisted mostly on scavenged food and seafood, and she was sure she could find a river around here to fish up the latter. Don't eat much large game anyway, she said, rolling her shoulders nonchalantly. It makes your ass get fat, y'know.

And with that retort, she fell into step alongside and slightly behind him, following him home whilst maintaining a careful distance as she mulled over her tumultuous thoughts and attempted to sort the chaos of her emotions into something a little more understandable for her.