Alpine Lake oh whatever that your days may bring
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Private 
After another long star-filled night finally dawned to day, he had tied up his loose ends neatly enough and found nothing else obligating him to stay put on the mountainside today by the afternoon. The usual oversights done, the pups off with others, his patrol had tapered off down towards the lowlands considerably anyway--his most complete, thorough circuit in a distracted last few days. All the same, he didn't mind the mild temperatures and easy clouds overhead, and this eventually back-dropped his jog that roamed, then roved beyond, with his nose down and ears up for more. It was only natural to help put his efforts towards looking for more sizable prey, or at least any signs of their continued returns--he would settle for that after the way it had been. All else, he would be taking it in too.

So he let his path meander to relatively little gain, and by the time the sun was slipping down again, he had nearly reached the Alpine Lake, a landmark he appreciated often, but didn't visit specifically enough. Deciding it was either pursue the water's edge or head back towards home, he felt like testing his luck a bit, and started up the way. He had come this far, so he may as well.

Sunset's colors were coming, he noticed, though the shift was subtle and early still. So, with that timing in mind, he hoped he'd catch a glimpse of a deer or two. Maybe the lakeside itself would be promising. Then again, maybe he was getting ahead of himself. Maybe the few stragglers they had unearthed were just that: a false hope for the turn of the tides once more. He wanted to know that wasn't the case.

His thoughts churned in a thousand different directions--most of them with a point (and certainly some without) as he kept hiking on towards the shore, one paw in front of the other.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
'cause i'm a hopeless wanderer
254 Posts
Ooc — Chan
With her residence amongst the Firebirds (presumably) established, Clover was left to her own devices. Reestablishment had proved to be draining, and today, she opted to take a break from all the hustle and bustle of the Copse; Clover had forgotten how exhausting living with family had been. Promising @Finley that she'd return by dawn the next morning, Clover left early in the morning and headed north. Though she was unsure of just what she was going to do while she was away, Clover was confident that she'd find something to occupy her. 

Having spent the better part of the day on foot, Clover sought her recess along the shoreline of Alpine Lake. Gentle wisps of pastel had begun to bleed into the skies overhead, indicating that nighttime was swiftly approaching. Clover sighed at the implication overhead; although the time alone had allowed her to recuperate, she wasn't ready to return home yet. Enjoying the company of herself, Clover watched the sky through the reflection on the lake's surface—presently oblivious of Jarlio's approach.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He went on his way undisturbed, moving along with a lengthened walk that carried him on towards the edge of the lake. With his glances spent divvied between the sky, the lake, and what the greater picture that surrounded it, he eased himself into the quiet scene--and minded himself, for though he did not spot prey converging on the area at first, times were too lean to risk scaring off the unseen with easy to avoid carelessness. If he could make his trip out wandering worth it with a fresh meal, then that was more than what he had set out with.

But distraction came for him quickly, unexpected despite his mindfulness and perhaps faster than he even realized. First a mere tickle of his nose with something familiar (notable enough out here in the winterscape), then more--and by then, the rhythm his paws had set to was already aiming that way, towards a grayscale form, marked notably by the strip of darkness he had come upon a few times before.

He set his sights on a spot beside her, his tail wagging slow as he came. Long time no see, he said chuffed, his breath furling in the cold while his expression seemed to search for some middle ground between surprised, relieved, and just.. overall, consoled.

It had barely been spring, last time, and a far different time for him at that--before so much had changed, although not all of it had been bad in the end. Still, he found something inviting about the relief to see she was here now, very much as he had remembered her. Maybe he had been mistaken in guessing she was gone, or maybe... Ah, little point in debating it now, not when he had barely had time to miss her. He hoped he might be welcome at her side now, to start.
254 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Clover's heart nearly leaped from her chest the moment that she recognized Jarilo's scent. Glancing over her shoulder, she affirmed her suspicions. He was approaching, and she had very little time to collect herself. "Holy fuck," she exclaimed quietly, returning her gaze to the lake's surface. Clover had thought of Jarilo often—more regularly than she would have ever liked to admit—and all the seasons apart had not changed how she felt. Clover still wanted to climb Jarilo like a tree. 

Turning towards the sound of his voice, Clover smiled as she met the jade of his eyes. "Too long," she agreed, her tail wagging as she hoisted herself onto all fours. "I'm surprised to find you out here, of all places," Clover admitted, somehow manging to keep her cool. "But, shit, I'm glad you're here!" 

"How have you been?" she asked, giving him an admiring once-over before resuming eye contact.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
His last few strides closed in quite quickly and yes, absolute confirmation came that it was very much, definitely Clover. While not who or what he had expected to find here, he could roll with this; his friends outside of the mountain were few, and especially far between lately. She was a someone from outside of all his usuals.. and certainly not in a bad way, so his tail was wagging faster as he listened--glad that his reception was favorable, too. His expression split for a grin. Right? Lucky chance, then. I was just tracking on nothing in particular out this way, and thought the lake sounded like a decent view of the sunset, he smirked, gesturing vaguely upward. It wasn't quite Moonspear's lofty views but open skies--he couldn't complain. And truly, for that thought that had motivated him to here, he was very pleased he took the time to act on it, of all the matters that had occurred to him lately.

He blinked first when she asked about him--he was not thinking of him right now, so once re-routed: Ah I'm alright--been busy. Jarilo answered, a little stilted when it came to how much to share. When he felt his eyes narrowing, he thought to try to elaborate more, somehow. Moonspear, my family.. kind of had a long summer, but earthquakes aside, we're good, now.. Just a lot happened always with too many significant losses, though he had come to learn that was life and faced the road ahead more weathered than before. Since he was in a somewhat better place about it now anyway, he didn't want to detail his grief to her (not when she was a face of nice, easy times to him), or what was still left unfinished afterward.

I didn't even know you were in the area at all, honestly.. he chuffed, then, attempting to veer it back to Clover's behalf on a half step in closer, tail still mustering a slow rhythm. But really though, it's good to see you again, content, he exhaled that sigh, and was so used to tension instead. What brought you out? he needed to ask.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
254 Posts
Ooc — Chan
"Very lucky," Clover agreed. "But, yeah, the sunset was what brought me over here, too." Her gaze traced his gesture overhead for a brief moment. "I was just randomly in the area, too, and I wasn't ready to go home," Clover admitted. "Kinda seems like we were meant to meet here, doesn't it?" she mused with a sly grin, her tail brushing against the ground as it slowly wagged. 

Jarilo's answer was vague, but Clover didn't press; his information was sufficient for the time being. "I heard about the earthquakes—sounds terrible what all happened," she had left the valley the right time, it seemed, "But, I am glad that everything is good now—that's what matters most." Clover was one not to look back and dwell; the past lived had happened, and nothing could change that. 

"I didn't even know you were in the area at all, honestly.." Jarilo admitted then, and Clover's expression faltered as she felt a rare pang a pang of guilt. "I wasn't for a while, actually," she admitted, her eyes drawing upon the water's edge. "I left the area shortly after the last time I saw you—I wanted to get away for a while and see what the rest of the world was like," she shrugged. "But, after being out there, I realized there was really nothing out there for me. I had no friends, no family, and I was just alone all the time—it sucked total ass," Clover laughed, turning to face Jarilo once more. He was slightly closer to her, now, and she couldn't help but feel excited by his nearness. "It's good to see you again, too," she returned, her heart skipping a beat and her face flushing; it felt nice to be recognized. 

"So... yeah," she trailed awkwardly. "That's whats been up with me. I'm just out here today to get away from my family—" another laugh "I forgot how... hard it can be to be around them sometimes. They're great, and all—theres just... not alone of space back home to be alone."
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Even better, then, that it was similar circumstance that brought them here together. The wave of her tail kept his going on too, easily contagious between the both of them. I think so, he agreed, and same went for the rest--about the earthquakes and how they had persevered through what he wanted to believe was the worst of it; nature seemed to be moving towards recovery. Most days, he truly felt like he was as well despite the way it felt sometimes.

But himself aside, she went on to detail her time away and that too was something he was able to practically take solace in--made him feel less bad about not seeing her, somewhat, and if she had wanted to see the world beyond her family's pack, then summer had been a good time to do it. Seemed only sensible to him that she would return to where she knew it was safe for her. Too bad it sounded like she had not been able to really enjoy her time away though. If sucks ass was her summary.. well, then, what else did he need to know?

His expression had turned towards a bit of a frown. Ah, makes sense.. I'd miss everyone too much, too.. he said, and an awkward little laugh pairing with it. He was pretty attached to many of his family (and pack) so didn't like to think that complete separation from them would do him well, although he recognized the beauty in a brief reprieve from it all--just like now. That was plenty for him. But still, too bad that didn't go better out there, he sighed, though a tiny lick of selfishness did have to be glad.. since he got to benefit in the long run. And are there that many of you Firebirds now? Outgrowing the forest, maybe..? he laughed softly, trying to keep some humor on his tongue.. although he felt that it was probably not only their sheer numbers that pressured her out and away today; reintegrating after being away had to be weird.

From then on out, he hoped to have a bit of her company because suddenly, nothing else he was up to out here was half as worth the time. He wanted to catch up, and spend the sunset in good spirits with good company.