Stone Circle Heart Upon My Sleeve
Private 
@Kove grandpa time grandpa time patrol thread

So much time had passed that the forest the boy once knew was now baren and repainted with white and greys. The river he used to play in now frozen over except for a few patches where the water ran too fast. Ever since Clay left, he would find himself at the borders at some point during the day. Everyone else seemed to have given up by now, but he knew one day his brother would return home. He had to.

For now, he paused at one of the breaks in the ice to dip his snout and lap up some of the cold liquid. Everyone was thinner which meant he really had to pull his weight around the pack and do what he could. He didn't mind, after all, it was something his dad did and he wanted to be like Greyback.
#008000 , PawprintWest's Playlist 10/10* 2/10, * = incomplete threads
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
hello my name’s stupid and i forgot about this

Even as he aged, body growing weary and joints resistant, Kove could not keep himself from the borders. He gave up travelling, knowing well that he could not push himself the same that he once did, but he could not part with patrolling—not yet, that is. In time, he knew his body would reach a point where his being near the border would be a greater risk than help but, for the time being, he refused to admit to knowing such things. He was still able to patrol, he told himself, still able to defend his home.

Kove intended to stop for a drink before continuing on to the outskirts of the territory—perhaps a quick bite to eat, too, should he find himself still skillful enough to continue fishing. But once there along the water’s edge, his attention never quite reached the fish that drifted below the ice, stolen away by the sight of his grandson. Leaving his previous intentions behind him, the elder approached the boy and chuffed, saying, “Ilitannamek, West.” He was surprised at how big the boy was growing—and how quickly, too. It seemed like only yesterday he was a small child.
The chuff surprised him, but it was not unwelcome. Water dripped from his snout as West turned to see his grandfather. He said something that sounded like a greeting, but the word flew over his head. Was he suppose to know that? Oh—Illetann...mek, Grandpa Was that right? Oh God, maybe it wasn't even a greeting and he just looked like a fool... Newt probably knew. What are you doing out here? Usually, he saw Kove around the stones or closer to the center of the pack, but West had been running off on his own lately.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
With an attempt at repeating the greeting back made, Kove could not help but chuckle; he did not mean it maliciously, he was merely surprised that an attempt was made at all. Ee-lee-tahn-nah-mehq,” he repeated, enunciating each syllable. “It is a greeting for those you know well, old friends or family.” That the boy was unaware was not the least bit surprising—after all, his mother did not speak the language. “You did well repeating it,” was said next, words of praise. “I could teach you more if you’re interested.” Now that the cubs were older, he did not feel as bad making such an offer; he didn’t think Valette would mind, now that they each had fine grasps on the common tongue.

Asked about his being there, the man answered, “Falling back into old habits, I suppose.” They were the hardest habits to break. “I practically lived on the borders of my previous pack. I figured I should put myself to use and try the same here.” That he was significantly older and not getting any younger was one piece of information that he tried his best to ignore; that he was a greater risk than help by lingering in the outskirts was something he refused to accept. “What brought you out here?” A question better to be asked than to allow himself to dwell within his own thoughts.
Sorry I'm ten years late idk why I didn't respond to this :'^)

Ilitannamek... He repeated the word again trying to match the syllables better. His tail brushed his hocks at his grandfather's praise, a new excitement blooming at the chance to learn something Newt might not yet know, Really? You'd teach me?! Not that he was ever an easy student, his attention often wavered even during hunting lessons with his mom and he loved hunting.

He was surprised to hear that Kove used to be glued to the borders much like his father, he thought the man traveled a lot, or at least that's what it sounded like from his mom. Then came the uno reverse card, Ah, well...Clay is out there somewhere. I figured when he comes home I could be the first to greet him. I've also seen my dad here a lot! I thought I might help if I can.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
o k but same tho

The excitement was noticeable enough, filling the elder with joy; he could not recall when last it was he taught another his language. “If you’d like to learn, yes,” he said, agreeing. “You could be the first of your siblings to understand it.” The first and maybe even the last, he couldn’t be sure—he also wondered how their mother would feel about the lessons, and if she would approve.

Reasons were given, mindful and kind. “It’s a good way to help,” he noted, then his curiosity got the better of him. “Do you not want to go out and search for your brother? Explore the lands beyond here?” It wasn’t that he wanted his grandson to leave, no. He was merely curious, being as he, of similar youth, struck out to explore on his own so long ago.
womp womp I think we have to give in to the fact that we are both just going to be slow posters LOL

The boy's ears perked as his grandfather confirmed his offer, Yes! Yes— I'd love to! He wasn't quite sure why but the idea of another language seemed exciting. Something that only he out of his siblings would know and perhaps come in handy later. There wasn't really a need to learn another language, everyone in Easthollow spoke the same one, but maybe that's why. He could say whatever he wanted and only his grandpa would understand.

The woodland boy gazed out at the wilderness, he couldn't lie he wanted to see it, but there would be time for that later. Right now he just wanted to find his brother. I do...but it's not my top priorities I guess. Mom and Dad get really worried when someone leaves, but I'm sure we can go explore later. West stood to stretch his legs and moved towards a tree to mark assuming Kove would follow right behind.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
we are two peas in a pod LMAOO

The worries of his parents held him back, which the elder found confusing; despite the worries of his own elders way back when, he had still departed from home. The thrill of a journey, seeing and experiencing new things, had too great of a pull to ignore. But it seemed his grandson was different, and he assumed his mother would be happy for that. “Someday, yes,” he agreed, following after the boy; his own movements were slow and no marking of his own was done—it wasn’t as easy of a task for him anymore, to hike his leg up like the young’uns, and so his efforts were few and far in between.

“Well, if you’re going to be sticking around, I suppose that means you’ll have plenty of time for language lessons,” he said, picking up the pace to fall in line next to his grandson. “Is there anything you’d like to learn first?” If Kove could use his interests to come up with an outline for their lessons, it’d likely be easier on both of them.
It wouldn't take long for the boy to notice his grandfather seemed to just be following along. Perhaps there was no need for him to mark the borders if he was already doing it, still, it seemed strange to the woodland boy. West wouldn't question it though as he moved to the next tree and pushed up against it. West's ears perked as the language lessons came back to focus. Uhhhhhhh, he had never learned another language before, what do you usually start with? Is there anything hunting related? Or different names for prey? He always had been food motivated, starting with an interest might make the knowledge stick a bit more.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
When his grandson mentioned words focused around hunting and prey, Kove smiled; he could still remember the good ol’ days of hunting freely, before his body decided it was a task no longer meant for him. It was freeing, still—and he was glad West had an interest in it.

Omajutsiuk,” he said slowly, drawing out the syllables. “It means to hunt game. A general term—there are some other words for announcing the hunt of a specific animal, too.” Such as duck and caribou, and even whales—would the boy know what a whale is? Given how far they were from the sea and his lack of travels, he doubted it, and so he bothered not with bringing it up. “We do not have a word for the bison here,” he commented next. “We do not really have bison in the north to need a name for them.” Prior to leaving home, he’d never actually seen one before. “Instead, we have tuttuk—caribou.” Which were just as daunting a prey as the southern bison.
maybe we could wrap this up and do a more present thread where he knows a little more and they can try a conversation or something Just looked at the date and this is from December LOL

Oma— Omajtsuuk... Well at least he was closer this time. He could work on it! Apparently the word was meant for general hunting, something he could use then! Even if it wasn't specific. West found it strange that there was no name for the bison, but Kove explained that none existed where he lived. Caribou? Is it like a deer or something? He wasn't familiar with any other large game and if it wasn't a bison then maybe it resembled a different herd. This time he did not attempt to say the word, this one seemed kinda easy so he just figured he'd be able to say it and tried to store the word in his memory. Once more he stopped to mark a tree, brushing up against the bark before carrying on, glancing to his grandfather for any other words he might have for him.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
sounds good. wrapping up here!

The attempts, although not perfect, were close; it was more than what Kove expected, the pronunciations of his homeland differing vastly from those of the southern lands. It was the interest and effort that he appreciated the most of all, truthfully—few of those born beyond the north ever showed much of an interest, after all.

When questioned further about the caribou, his expression turned thoughtful before he nodded. “Similar to a deer but larger,” he explained. “More dangerous to hunt, like elk or moose.” But it was oftentimes more than worth it, as to fell one meaning a feast for the pack. “If ever you choose to travel, perhaps you could visit the north and see them for yourself.”

Several more words were offered as the two continued along, related to hunting and animals in general; he spoke slowly, carefully—and kept the amount low, so as not to overwhelm him. But, before long, the day was starting to catch up with the elder and he found himself needing to retire to rest. He parted from his grandson with words of encouragement sent West’s way, assuring him that he would get a handle on the language in no time.