Hoshor Plains inscribe all names that god has left
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
not too near the borders. tagging  @Nieve if u would like to tag along!

she had been curious about the larger pack bordering the plateau, and interested still when they relocated rather than attempt to fight rusalka over the land.
it was that curiosity which led erzulie across the snowfilled flatlands, in pursuit of the waning scent.
she drew up swiftly, wondering why they had made their home in such a desolate place. but, she surmised, in spring the herds would return here to graze and to calve. not so bad a choice, then.
[Image: F0ZZHqZ.png]
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
I'll avoid specifics incase they choose to join!

It was normal to see the Count along the borders. Too much time had been spent laying around and there was nothing she desired more than to make up for lost time before spring came. It was unfortunate to be in the open as they were now, but one benefit was vision as far as the tree line of their ruined home.

A blotch amongst the white land was visible from her step along the borders, perhaps another who wished to join their ranks. She was thankful for each new member that came their way, even if it was just for the winter. It made them stronger and provided a presence one should not mess with despite their vulnerable spot.

Ira was aware that any smart wolf would not trespass and given the shape was not moving she figured they were simply waiting a fair distance away for someone to come along and find them. As the roan woman drew near she noticed the heavy scent of other wolves on the woman's pelt. Not a newcomer then...it was a disappointment, but only mildly so. Good day, is there something I may assist you with? You linger close to claimed lands.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
163 Posts
Ooc —
Someone came to the border a little while ago, Nieve was saying just behind her mother's shoulder as they made their way along the river where a pack had briefly settled. Named Bhe. She came on behalf of some pack with a really weird name, said she wanted to visit the neighbours. She never said where the pack was. I wonder if this is them. The scents on the wind were telling the tale of a congregation of wolves, but Nieve couldn't recognize Bhediya's scent among them.

Then again, it wasn't like she'd made herself that comfortable with Bhediya. She'd asked a lot of questions but not gathered much information from the woman herself, which in hindsight, was poor planning on her part. Oh well.

In what felt like no time at all, a grey she-wolf arrived to attend them. Nieve took a step back, inviting her mother to do the talking while she studied the border guard. A tall and slim woman with shorter fur to accentuate the fact, and yet there was a quality to her facial structure that Nieve thought was rather masculine. It made for an odd contrast.
and i've found that in every man there's a child
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
one ear had been tipped backward, listening to what nieve had been saying. she would make a good scout, erzulie thought fondly of her sharpwit child before turning her attention to the figure swiftly approaching.
she was tall and lithe, a calm hue to her fur, but a masculine cast to her overall features that erzulie found poignant. "bonjour, madame," the harlot greeted pleasantly, dipping her head in a bow.
"my daughter an' i were intrigued by your pack. we wanted to come by an' see who it was made dere home heah."
careful to hold back the name of rusalka; she did not yet trust the woman. arranging her expression into one of gentle formality, erzulie waited.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ah, so they were scouts. Ira thought that they had visited all the packs nearby when they formed, but perhaps they were new or forced to move just as they had. The scents on their pelt seemed unfamiliar, something she would have to look into later. I see. In that case, I can answer any questions you might have. I go by Ira and currently I stand as the sole leader of Kaistleoki, my official title is Count. She kept the introduction short leaving room for the duo to ask their own questions instead of her assuming just what they might be curious about.
163 Posts
Ooc —
Nieve opted to remain respectfully silent. There were questions she wanted to ask, like if Ira knew where Ungala Gordola was and how long they lived here and if it was as windy a place to live as it outwardly looked, but she was more eager to show how professional and proper she was. There was a lot she could learn from this interaction, especially if she decided to wander out and meet the other packs in the wilds. There was no real reason to do so, but Bhediya's visit had stoked the fires of curiosity in her.

So she nodded and stood just behind Erzulie, smiling warmly, but added nothing and asked no questions of her own. There would be time for it later, if she had any by then.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
nieve was maturely quiet, observant. erzulie noted how this ira, count, gave the basics of her pack openly to the ranging pair. 
"we have always lived by de sea, but perhaps de inlan' places are better," the harlot remarked lightly. 
"what made kaistleoki decide to settle in dese plains, instead of de mountains or a forest?" a sole leader, ira had said: an emphasis noted and filed by the canny gamma.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The younger of the two remained silent as the mother spoke up. Ira could only assume that she was following for experience or to see her mother's trade at work. Erzulie spoke of life by the sea, a place she had never been but heard of from Tobias. Why a pack would settle there was unknown to her, but perhaps that was due to her time in the mountains.

This is but a temporary home. She would not be surprised if they were only interested in their location. Several of the newer faces had questioned it and their older members had voiced their concerns. The quakes forced us to move while our home recovers. We plan to reclaim our land north of here come spring. Normally we are located in the forest.
163 Posts
Ooc —
Nieve, too, wondered if the inland places were better than the seaside. She vehemently believe the coast was the best place to live, but that was due to her affinity for the ocean. She thought it was beautiful in its fathomless intrigue and she would always think of it as a kind of friend. All that aside, there had to be a reason so many packs chose to settle elsewhere, and she was curious about the benefits of other types of territories.

Ira didn't answer Erzulie's exact question, offering no explanation on the merits of the grasslands, but instead indicated that they lived further north. Astute as ever, the young Zeta perked her ears. As nonchalant as she could, for Erzulie had chosen not to mention much of Rusalka thus far and she thought it was wise to keep up the charade, Nieve asked, oh, the woods by the river? We passed by those on our way inland. Very pretty place.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
nieve had plucked up the reins of erzulie's game; she hid a smile with a flick of spiced ears. such a clever child, this stalwart and independent golden girl. what other secrets would she uncover in her own quick time? speak nothing of your own inhabitance; learn all there was to know about another's. ira was wise. perhaps she did not care for she knew the strength of her own pack.
an impressive thought.
"so you will be goin' back den?" why resettle a second time?
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Yes. Soon in fact. There was no doubt in the Count's mind. Everyone was antsy to move and the sooner it was done the better, not that she would say all of that. We all have our hearts set on the land we claimed before.

The two had only asked questions so far, yet neither seemed to say anything about who they were or where they were from. Not even a name was offered to the Count. It was off from those who usually graced their borders. And what of you two? The sea is not far from those woods, has your pack settled nearby? We visited those we knew of when we settled, but perhaps another trip is due.
163 Posts
Ooc —
The game shifted. Ira was on to them... or maybe it only seemed that way because they were playing a careful game with the Count. Ira confirmed they would be returning to the riverlands soon, which was bad news for Rusalka. Nieve was very careful to keep her eyes on Kaistleoki's leader. She yearned to read Erzulie's expression but it was imperative she give no indication that the news meant anything to her. A pack moving back to their former home. It was easy to imagine they were talking about Rusalka, lending warmth to the smile Nieve extended.

With Ira's question, Nieve yielded the floor back to Erzulie. She wasn't learned enough yet to maintain the guise on her own. Instead, she said, I bet it'll feel nice to be home again.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
erzulie had received all the information she deemed relevant, but now it had become the role of the coastal wolves to return the favor. "i be marie, and this is my daughter erza," she lied deftly. "our pack is along de sea, but a little fur'ter," she gestured, motioning toward the distant unseen shoreline where the pirates had once led.
"ironsea," and her heart rose to speak the name aloud. "we are just explorin' today, an' i thank you for satisfyin' our curiosity."
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The younger one failed to answer her question, instead directing the conversation to Kaistleoki's move. She found her response odd, not even a name was offered until her mother spoke up. But perhaps she was looking too far, as Marie was quick to provide the answers she sought. For all Ira knew, the young girl was a bit shy. The name Ironsea was unfamiliar, but the Count had never made her way to the sea's edge.

I'm afraid I've never heard of your home. I'll be sure to send our scouts after our move. I'm interested in how a pack lives by the sea. It was time to send some Heralds to explore beyond their reach. From everything she has heard lately, many things have changed from the quakes. I'm happy to know I could provide the answers you sought. Safe travels on your way home. She bid them farewell, yet the Count would remain at the borders until she was sure these two moved on their way away from her territory.
163 Posts
Ooc —
It's a wonderful place to live, Nieve said, and that, at least, was no lie. She yearned to return to the seaside and leave the plateau behind. Rusalka's temporary home was nice enough, but it could never compare to having the ocean for a front yard. The knowledge that Kaistleoki would soon be moving back to the river, practically right up Rusalka's butt, made her wonder if Erzulie was thinking the same thing she was.

Was it worth it to hold their ground, or should they move back to the sea from whence they came? Nieve knew which answer she preferred.

Quietly, Nieve thanked Ira, feeling a little bashful all of a sudden, and awaited Erzulie's instructions.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
erzulie nodded to ira, looked at nieve, and headed off smartly back the way they had come. when ira was far beyond earshot, the harlot turned an amused look upon her daughter.
"i wanted to know if we had anyt'ing to fear from dem," she explained. "what do you t'ink?" kaistleoki might well rally in the springtime, with new pups born to them, but erzulie saw little reason to welcome them back so close.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira can be skipped from here on out if you guys keep going!

The two departed and while they seemed strange, the Count would not worry for now. She did not understand the appeal of living by the sea, but then again she had lived in plains twice now. When the mother and daughter had finally moved far enough from her borders, the roan woman would continue her patrol along the edges of the territory.
163 Posts
Ooc —
Bye, said Nieve to Ira, swinging to follow her dam back the way they came. She was already brewing a few thoughts from their interaction with the Count, so when Erzulie asked, Nieve was ready for it. They'd retreated far beyond where Ira could possibly hear them, but she canted her left ear back and snuck a quick glance over her shoulder before speaking. Just in case.

Seemed nice, she opined, righting herself once more. A bit forward with her information. I don't think it's good for us if they move in so close to the plateau, though. There were already limited ways down from the heights, and Kaistleoki setting up right next door would effectively close off a few of those. She didn't think much conflict would arise between the two groups, but she still wasn't fond of them being right next door, especially when they weren't all that familiar with each other. And there was the matter of that lie they'd told...

Maybe we should consider going back to the coast before then, she suggested, half hopeful, half questioning.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
"i agree," she murmured to nieve's voice. another pack in the area would only hem up resources, no matter that rusalka had relocated itself directly beneath kaisteloki before. "where along de coas'?" erzulie inquired of her child. "i t'ink all of us want to go back," came her next declaration.
and she thought of this season, and what it would bring.
they could not be born into plateau dirt.
163 Posts
Ooc —
She was relieved that Erzulie shared her opinions. Ira certainly seemed nice and agreeable, but that was liable to change the moment the Count realized they'd been lying about living on the coast. Best to get out of dodge before they came back. The art of weaving a good lie required steps to avoid being caught, after all.

Mamá told me about where you used to live, Nieve shared, and you just mentioned it, too. Ironsea? She pursed her lips thoughtfully. She wanted nothing more than to return to the Sound, but she was beginning to realize they were never going back there. Too many bad memories for her family. For the whole pack, in fact. She never really said where it was, but I think I'd like to go there. She made it sound like it was where you were happiest. I think it'd be good for you to be back there. I'm happy anywhere the sea is.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
a smile. "we were very happy dere. we would have stayed, but a great bear came. sundered us." a flick of her dark ears; erzulie lapsed into a thoughtful silence. "de plateau was always meant to be temporary." the ocean, it seemed, spoke in her children as well, and now the salted whisperings had grown too loud to ignore.
"i will speak wid aningan," she murmured decisively. the time was now, and the sea was billowing with its voice. if they heard it, the polar wolf too had listened to the callings.
163 Posts
Ooc —
Well, if there was anywhere Nieve thought she could call home besides the Sound, that sounded like it. A place where her mothers were very happy. No doubt she could be very happy there, too, and when Erzulie mentioned talking to Aningan, she felt instantly buoyed. All the way back home there was a noticeable pep in her step that hadn't been there before.