Mudminnow River Why is the piggy bank empty! Am I that poor?
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
All Welcome 
Watch and wait. Silently. Wait a second. One more. There it was. Throwing her muzzle into the water Iolana shot down and grabbed an unexpecting victim that had swum unknowingly into the water in front of her. Her jaws clamped over the glistening fish as the wisp of a lady diminished the poor creature's candle. Removing it from this world forever.

Gently shaking off the water that had collected on her face Iolana took a second to recollect herself before whistling the high pitched whistle that even she could hear. Not more than a few beats went by before her feathered friend came descending down beside her. By now, Iolana had created a special voice she used to speak, although she couldn't hear it she figured it was good enough. Using this, she smiled and spoke to her only friend "Hey there Lale. Go find yourself some food, I'll wait." with a slight push from her nose the bird obeyed and took off. 

Sighing she settled down and began eating her new kill. For a moment she forgot to be careful. She didn't glance up or smell the air for anything new, and she didn't care if she was completely vulnerable at the moment. All she wanted was her worries to slip away for just a few minutes.

This is backdated real bad... back around 1/11/20
Iolana is almost completely deaf... she can only hear loud noises. She often tries to lip-read but it doesn't always work. She is also usually accompanied by a Merlin bird. You are always welcome to reference her! Her name is Lale (lah-leh) if that helps at all! Hawaiian will look like this when Iolana decides to speak it! <3
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
"Would you rather be guaranteed a life of bitter solitude, or take a risk but be able to enjoy the company of others?"

Corvus was a hypocrite. But could he really be blamed after everything he'd been through? Everyone he let past the iron gates of his heart left one way or another; those who didn't abandon him were torn from him in death, and he didn't belong with the rest.

He was destined to be alone.

Life had not treated him well, yet he persevered anyway. With enough exposure to pain, to trauma, to loss, he became numb to it; not by choice, but by necessity, for his body commanded he keep going. It wasn't ideal, no, but he was alive and in one piece. Things could've been worse.

A voice, it wasn't far. But he only sensed one wolf here, not two. Intrigued, he followed it and found a woman lying by her lonesome, accompanied only by the prey she fed upon. He tilted his head. Who were you speaking to? He asked, stopping a stone's throw away.
I cannot be killed by dogs. It takes a man to kill a monster.

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Of course, when Iolana wasn't being cautious was when somebody would approach. Not being able to hear them left her clueless of their presence. So, she kept on eating her meal until it was gone before she looked up. Startled, the wisp slung herself with some remaining grace with quicksilver reflexes, she'd gotten used to people sneaking up on her. 

When she reached her full height, which isn't very tall mind you, she felt a growl climbing her throat. Usually, these kinds of situations went better, with a suspicious but kind smile as Iolana introduced herself. But Iolana didn't know how long this wolf had been here or even if he had released a sort of threat while watching her. So, on instinct, she only let a fraction of the guttural growl escape the lady. Making it sound like more of a viscous purr than an actual growl until it increased in volume. "Ara ko wai au? Whakamaramahia e koe!" the lady threatened.
Iolana is almost completely deaf... she can only hear loud noises. She often tries to lip-read but it doesn't always work. She is also usually accompanied by a Merlin bird. You are always welcome to reference her! Her name is Lale (lah-leh) if that helps at all! Hawaiian will look like this when Iolana decides to speak it! <3
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
She didn't appear to hear him, which was odd. The stranger noticed him in her own time, and she clearly wasn't pleased about that. She yelled at him in a tongue he'd never heard before, further adding confusion to this unorthodox interaction. Seeing that she likely wouldn't understand anything he said, Corvus slowly sank down onto his haunches with an utterly relaxed posture. He did not fear confrontation, especially with this girl; if she decided to attack him while he sat, he was fully confident he'd still come out on top.

I'm not here to fight you, He voiced, and though she may not know what he said, his smooth tone would convey what he meant well enough.

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Iolana watched as the man sat with calm composure, that was not a reaction from somebody who wanted to fight. Ears sprawled against her head she stopped her growl and relaxed. "I-I'm sorry" the wisp muttered quietly. He hadn't intimidated her, he had shown her his intentions, and that was not battle. While watching the man she caught a few of his words; not, here, fight, you. Confirming her suspicions was what those words had done, now she sat also. 

"I'm sorry." the woman said again, louder this time. Now she threw her ears back up, swiveling her head a little so her left ear was closer to the man. She could hear better out of the left one, it made life easier. Dipping her head in respect the lady recomposed herself completely. Then realizing that he might have voiced something when he first arrived she spoke, "Did you say something earlier?" the wisp inquired with a kind and apologetic smile. Letting her electric blue eyes glide over the wolf before meeting his.
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
She apologized, and there were no hard feelings on his end, for he didn't have the energy to get riled over something so minor. The way she tilted her head to favor one ear suggested she was hard of hearing. Corvus couldn't imagine trying to survive without such a vital sense; if he were the hostile sort, this woman would be dead.

I asked who you were speaking to, He repeated.

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
I asked who you were talking to. "Oh," the woman replied slightly. "My friend. She has flown off to get some food!" the wisp complied with a smile. Iolana wouldn't call for Lale just yet, there was no way she would've already found enough food to fill her up. Staying put, the lady took a shot at asking a question, "Who are you?" she inquired quizzically with a slight tilt of her head.
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
She didn't entirely specify, but context told him it was a bird companion of sorts. He nodded. The woman asked who he was, and he pondered that. He was many things: a mercenary, a monster, a broken man, a lost spirit. But he settled on something simple, something distant.

My name is Corvus; I am a wandering mercenary. Who are you?

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
"Corvus." the woman repeated; testing the newfound syllables upon her tongue. The man then passed the question onto Iolana. "I am Iolana," she stated, then realizing he said more than a name she added "Friend to the lost, mender of the broken!" Hopefully, the man wouldn't know that this was just the saying of her old pack and not actually a description of what she was.

If she was being honest, she didn't even know who she was. "Or just deaf weirdo if that's more your style" the wisp said with a grin. Corvus didn't seem to be one to like 'friend to the lost, mender of the broken' so it was probably better to add the latter.
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
He wasn't sure what Iolana's vague title meant, but it hit a little close to home for comfort, and it showed in the silence that followed. But she diffused the tense air with a more lighthearted self-jest, so he smiled along with her. I think I prefer that because it's not my style, He replied honestly. Switching topics, he asked, How do you get by on your own with such poor hearing?

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
At the sight of the man's smile Iolana relaxed, he accepted her joke and even seemed to enjoy it. She watched him closely as she formed the words in her mind, piecing together all the parts, like a puzzle. Her brain registered every syllable as he spoke, logic peaking as she snapped the jigsaw in place and she registered what he said.

"When people are speaking, I lip-read. Like I did just now. Usually, I use my other senses, which takes time getting used to but when you do it's only more work. You have to stay vigilant. I wasn't doing that earlier, so that's not a very good example. Since I can only hear loud or high-pitched noises, Lale the friend I told you about, will whistle when necessary. We have different codes for different situations, so she flys and tells me anything important with a simple call!" the wisp responded. She had explained her life somewhat, but Corvus still really had no clue the amount of effort it took just to hunt for food. More or less protect herself, but Iolana was no complainer, so she simply smiled at the man.
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
He listened intently, fascinated by the complex techniques she'd picked up to survive. It was impressive, especially how she communicated so intricately with another species. I've seen many things in my years, but that is certainly a first. It's no wonder you're still kicking, He commended with a pointed grin. The lengths wolves went just to survive...

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
Both wore a grin as Iolana laughed at the man's jest as she replied: "You gotta do whatcha gotta do!" The tense air from before had been released, which was relaxing in of itself. Iolana couldn't help but be honest with the man though. "I'm still alive because Lale needs me." she stated with a longing grin in the direction her friend flew. Turning back she said, "Why are you alone?" Iolana had never been alone for more than Lale's hunting trips so she couldn't imagine living on one's own. What a sad life that would have to be.
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
aaa, sorry for the wait!

"Why are you alone?"

The question stung in a way that surprised him, unintended as that effect was. Wolves weren't meant to lead isolated lives, they thrived in the company of others... except he didn't. Because whenever I try to be among others, it's always ended poorly for me, He murmured, glancing at Iolana with tired, smoldering coal-eyes.

Romanian | English
50 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
You're fine!!
The shadow admitted to his past longings, a seemingly still burning coal resting in the middle of his heart, burning his flesh in a way unimaginable. He looked exhausted from simply mentioning his solitude, tired of the pain perhaps. Iolana looked on, a gentle wave within the ocean of her eyes, not sympathy but care. She did not pity the man in a way to make him despise her, she only wanted him to know that it was the way of life, a cruel way that many understood.

Figuring the man did not want an I'm sorry as there was nothing anybody could do the wisp nodded. Sorrow had never come, and never would. Sorrow would only make things worse, halt the healing she hoped would soon arrive within the shadow.