Neverwinter Forest i hate my last name. i hate everything it stands for
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
There was that beat, then Cupid spoke. 

Um what. No, that was not supposed to be one of the answers. He gawked, unable to find the right words to that unexpected turn. What had just happened? He moved forward to keep up, walking at Cupid's side but with space between them this time, looking at him and waiting for a real answer. Did he really mean that? He slowly started dropping behind farther as they went, but never more than a few yards. He kept hoping, expecting, Cupid to turn around and say something. He didn't.

When the borders came back into sight, that was when it was Mal's turn to feel sick. Was he really just going to let Cupid go? No, he had to try, please.  He bounded forward, not entirely cutting off Cupid's path but definitely getting a bit in the way so Mal could stare him down with all the anxiety and anguish starting to brew in his gut. Stop -- please. Tell me why. Tell me-- Tell him why everything wasn't good enough. Why Cupid was making the choice that one of the parents wouldn't be in the kid's life. Why the hell he was gonna torture Mal with the knowledge that somewhere out there was his kid, where Mal couldn't help. He wasn't supposed to be having this conversation in the first place, but it wasn't supposed to be going like this if it did.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
As he took those few steps, an ugly feeling rose up his throat. He felt guilty for what he was doing, even more so when he heard Mal fall in step beside him. Cupid lowered his head and closed his eyes, trying to ignore and forget him. And this forest. And everything that just happened. He shouldn't have said anything. It only made things worse. But it would be ok for Mal. As soon as Cupid left he'd go on with his life and forget this exchange.

But he didn't want him to leave. Cupid was forced to stop when Mal got in the way and pleaded for answers. You don't deserve this, he murmured, raising his head to meet that distressed gaze. You never expected this and you never asked for this. It wouldn't be fair for you if I stayed. Me and this baby would just fuck up your life and I don't want that for you.

I need to go, he repeats as he begins to walk off again, so I don't ruin your life.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
This was all so wrong. Yeah and neither did you. Honestly he didn't know what was going to be the best argument here. There had to be one, but Mal couldn't find it. Just none of this made sense and his brain was still reeling from it all. I can't just pretend nothing happened -- I want to make the best of it if it's possible. This isn't what I want. Why did he want to make it harder for everyone?

But Cupid insisted, passing by. Mal followed, lagging behind a length or two as the border loomed not far ahead. If you keep going, you're making me like them. Except I'm still gonna be here if you change your mind. Was there anything else he could say? Mal wasn't going to cross the markings, that was where he was going to stop, wait, and hope Cupid changed his mind.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
No, no, no. This was the best option. His. This was his mistake and he would fix it the right way. Mal would be happy, whether that be tomorrow or years from now. He'd be grateful that Cupid was not in his life, because Cupid was a sick bastard that fucked up everyone's lives. Dad ditched him, mama died on him. Mal would get tired of him and this baby, oh he would cry for it. Because it would be raised by Cupid the Fuck Up.

This was the only good thing he had done for anyone in a long time. And maybe this would be the last good thing he'd ever do, because god knows Cupid should never have been a parent.

Goodbye Mal. Cupid hobbled past the border and onward, never looking back.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
But no, apparently there was nothing that could change Cupid's mind. Mal had stopped at the edge of his territory. Had Cupid looked back, he would have seen Mal slowly wilting the farther away he got.

This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Mal was fairly certain that he had done the right thing, the responsible thing and all that. Sure, maybe his first reaction wasn't great, but hadn't he done his best to prove that he wasn't going to be a flake after that? What else could he have done?  Why wasn't he good enough? Why wasn't he believable? What was going to happen? What about the kid?

Why?