Whitebark Stream We had already scorched the Earth once.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
All Welcome 
@Eights, maybe?  :D

As the afternoon waned and the sun began its descent, Artyom was relieved of his patrol. He observed the form of the wolf to take over as they loped from where he stood, following with his earthen eyes for a few moments before he veered to his left and made his way deeper into Whitebark territory.

Somewhere above, a proud owl simply watched the ranger as he padded acroas the forest floor, in search of a particular scent. The loner from the borders, pale-furred and with a coat texture that reminded him of the dark hybrid who'd vomited at his feet; Artyom's defence of Dawn that day was sure to have made him uncomfortable. Now that her season had come to an end and the hormones no longer muddied his priorities, he figured it was time to offer an apology.
25 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
!!!

The sunset was never something he paid much attention to until his escape to the wilds. Now, he sat atop a slope by the stream to get a good view of the painted oranges & how they overtook the typical sky blue. Faint indications of stars came out of hiding & begged him to ask what it all meant. What was the sun, the stars, the sky? Perhaps he'd never know, but regardless, the view was mesmerising. He only wished he still had his one friend to enjoy it with.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
When at last Artyom found fresh paw prints in the snow, he shifted to follow. The trail brought him to a gentle slope that overlooked their frozen stream and, cresting the hill, his gaze found the long-legged figure of his newest comrade. The ranger approached from behind with a soft 'wuff', and eased to halt a comfortable distance from him.

"Connor," he greeted smoothly, recalling his name with ease. Artyom settled to his haunches and blinked skyward, studying their watercolour sky with a hum of admiration before he returned his attention to the pale recruit. "It is quite a view, don't you think?"

25 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
His head whirled around when he heard an unfamiliar chuff behind him, so caught up in himself that he hadn't noticed the presence of another. It was Dawn's mate. He wasn't sure how to feel about that, especially considering he'd sought him out. But the man was far more welcoming now as he sat & struck up conversation. Connor relaxed & turned back to the sky.

Yes... it really makes me wonder what more there is to the world that we may never understand, He mused with a furrowed brow. After a beat, he looked to the pale leader again. Sorry, I don't believe I caught your name.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Awkwardness settled in the pit of his belly as his gaze studied the features of Whitebark's newest recruit. Honestly, he felt there was a certain hollowness to Connor that both unnerved and intrigued him, but Artyom clung to his desire to give him the benefit of doubt. He had done nothing wrong when last they met, and in fact had not even looked at Dawn in a manner her mate did not appreciate - for this, he found himself grateful, though admittedly somewhat confused.

"Yes," he agreed simply, eyes searching for the glimmer of stars here and there, "I imagine there are far more wonderful things to find." There had been a time that Artyom wished to travel all over, experience all that it had to offer. He had seen much on his journey, but no sunset or mountain view could ever rouse a feeling comparable to what he sought to find with Dawn.

He turned back to Conner, canted his velvet lobes back in remorse. "My name is Artyom. And I wished to apologise," the ranger explained, "for I had never taken part in the mating season before now. It made me paranoid that someone would attempt to bring harm to Dawn." A pause then, followed by the amused twitch at the corner of his mouth as he attempted humour: "I am not always an asshole."
25 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
The alpha gave his name: Artyom. It sounded odd & foreign, but unmistakable. What Connor didn't expect to hear following that was an apology, given his first impression of the man. He even cracked a little joke, which drew a smile from his own maw. Fair enough, Artyom, He said with a nod. I believe you; no hard feelings. His relationship with Hank started off much rockier than this one, so he had hope that he & Artyom could get along quite well.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
His initial goal in Whitebark had been to build a family there of his choosing, to bring his comrades together and regard one another as such. He aimed to bring kindness and happiness among them, so that he may experience it in return. But things had altered swiftly when Dawn had come to him beneath gentle snowfall with a bold request, one that would change his priorities entirely.

Artyom did not resent her for his veering from the path he'd chosen, and in fact found much appreciation for the opportunity she'd given him. The Alphess had chosen him to sire her litter, him to stand at her side as her partner, and would allow him to play a primary role in the lives of their offspring.

He smiled at Connor, glad for his understanding of the situation he'd found himself in and, ultimately, his forgivenes. It was regarded with a content sweep of his pale tail across the snow at his rear, and he blinked up toward the watercolour heavens once more. "Have you ever seen one like it?" Artyom asked, referring to the sunset. Each time he saw one more beautiful than the last, he would think he'd seen them all until another night, another perfect sky, presented itself to take his breath away.

25 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
His hazel gaze swept skywards when Artyom's did. No, each one is unique & beautiful in its own way. I never watched sunrises or sunsets before I came out here, but now I find it difficult not to, He said honestly, so relaxed that he perhaps opened a can of worms he'd prefer stayed shut.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
In his Yukon home, the days felt considerably shorter. Night seemed to go on forever at times, right at Winter's heart, but a younger Artyom had found himself wishing Summer away in longing for the cold season's arrival - just to experience the sights all over again.

"You haven't lived until you see the Northern Lights," the ranger said, half-joking, as his thoughts turned to simpler times of frolicking with Ana. He recalled fond memories of chasing one another through freshly fallen snow, nipping and courting - how he confessed his true affections and made love with her for the first time beneath the Aurora's dancing lights. "I haven't ever experienced them this far South, but perhaps one day they will appear."

25 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
'Northern lights'? He parroted, looking owl-eyed back at Artyom. What is that? They sounded magical, even more so than the sunset. His childlike curiosity shined through, eager to soak up as much information as he could.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
It surprised him a little, to learn that Connor had not experienced the beauty of the Aurora. Artyom blinked at him as the boy gazed wide-eyed in his direction, then smiled as he turned his dark eyes skyward.

"They are rays of colourful light that choose to appear in clear night skies," he shared, "that sweep and dance in a beautiful display." Artyom breathed deep the crisp Winter's air and exhaled in a pale plume as he hoped, silently, that he might someday be able to share them with his children. "I hope they find you one day, Connor. You won't be disappointed."

He could speak of the heavens' dancing lights tirelessly, but was loathe to share too much that might ruin what could be such a wonderful surprise. So the duo settled with quiet talk of what their night sky offered before parting ways, with relief in Artyom's heart to have made amends.